What to do with a 4 Day weekend? (Sea to Sky area)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

What to do with a 4 Day weekend? (Sea to Sky area)

Hello everyone! With a long weekend coming up I'm looking at driving up from Bellingham to explore more of what BC has for riding. I have done a tiny bit of riding in Squamish (Quest University area) and have ridden a few days in the Whistler Bike Park. I'm looking to explore some new trails and would be curious to hear what you all would recommend to do with this amount of time excluding the bike park. Pemberton, Whistler Valley, North Shore, other areas in Squamish? I've looked at some of my options on trailforks, but with the amount of riding available it is a bit overwhelming haha.

As for me, I have a 1x11 6" AM bike and am not afraid to do a bit of peddling! From what I have seen so far I would place myself as someone who can ride trails that are harder blues or easier blacks.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and I can't wait to do a bit of exploring!

ups and downs
    In Squamish there's still trails in the Garibaldi Highlands, Alice Lake, Diamond Head and Valleycliffe areas that can give your 6" travel bike a workout

Squamish, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Pemberton has generally more strenuous trails with bigger elevation, epic climbs for sure

Pemberton, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

And Whistler has loads of natural trails that are dry and primo right now (we're heading into a bit of a spring rainy season, so you never know for sure)

Whistler, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

On the North Shore, you're likely looking at Mount Fromme and Mount Seymour as your best bets

North Vancouver, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Up the Fraser Valley, east of Vancouver proper, there's a well developed trail network at Sumas Mountain.

Sumas Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

And a ferry trip away (which could suck up a fair bit of your 4 days) there's a good blue trail selection in Sechelt and Roberts Creek

Sechelt, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Roberts Creek Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

And if you were considering making a trip to Vancouver Island, you could not go wrong tackling BC Bike Race trail networks in Comox Valley and Parksville. BC Bike Race || a Seven Day Mountain Bike Stage Race from Vancouver to Whistler, BC, Canada

Comox Valley Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Parksville, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Instead of throwing all the options at you I will just suggest Pemberton, more options for big rides, pretty different to bellingham, and best conditions are now or in the fall, you could save most of the other places for another trip in the summer. Get the app or guidebook (buy from bike Co, to the left on portage rd) and check things out carefully, lots of hard trails but you can make good blue/black rides too

mtbr member
    With only for days I would try to minimize the driving. I live in Cumberland on Vancouver Island and even though it's fantastic here I wouldn't wast time with ferries.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the info so far everyone! So as of now I'm thinking I'll run up to Squamish after work on Friday. Then I can ride part of a day in Squamish and then head up to Pemberton that night so I will have the next 2 full days there. Then depending on how I'm feeling on my drive back I can hit Fromme or something in the Fraser Valley. Pemberton really does seem like the best choice as it is harder to do on a normal weekend. Any suggestions for must ride trails in Pemberton?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Happy-NIMBY-overnight sensation, then back up NIMBY and down Hawaii or blood sweat and fear something, could also keep climbing and add the new trail from halfway up middle earth to the top of overnight. A mosquito Lake loop of like happy-waco-road-no err-road-econoline-econodave-crosstown traffic, or cream puff (which is kind of the signature Pemberton trail but I wouldn't call it an easy black). Also fat tug, lumpys epic, k2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks Kevin267!

I'm looking through videos of those trails and it looks amazing! I definitely think I'll give Cream Puff a go as it mainly looks like rollers which I'm definitely fine with! Mainly the only thing that gets me into trouble on black diamond trails is mandatory drops over a couple feet and doubles.