What bike for Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What bike for Whistler?

Hi guys,
    Going to Whistler for the first time in july, will be there for 6 weeks. I am unsure what bike I should bring. I have a Commencal Supreme DH or a Lapierre Spicy (6in AM)..

I ride xc and dh at home, but lately I am doing much more DH than xc, I have done four of five races and loved it. So will there be enough in Whistler to keep me entertained if I just bring my DH rig?

I would be willing to rent out an xc bike for a few days to mix it up a bit...

Any tips would be welcome,

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I would bring my DH bike, and like you said, if you want to hit up some XC trails rent it.

There is lots to entertain you at the park as well as surrounding areas. There's lots of FR type
    stuff outside the park in Whistler and 20 min north in Pemberton.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    do they have trails at Whistler for all levels of riding? Beginner, intermediate etc...

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    do they have trails at Whistler for all levels of riding? Beginner, intermediate etc...

Yes, my wife loves riding there. Just look at the ratings at the beginning of the trail you want
    to ride before you ride it.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    Off the Bike Park on the valley's XC trails there's a few beginner/family/groomed sorts of trails and then there's a kinda large-ish gap to the upper end of intermediate if you compare them to intermediate rated bike trails in most other parts of the planet.

A blue square trail in Whistler can look like Black Diamond trails at other locations. Most other trail systems use trail length and elevation change to decide on a rating and the trail surfaces aren't that big a factor. In Whistler almost all the XC trail surfaces are usually equal measures of dirt, wood bridges, roots, rocks and exposed mountain, and the trail rating will be as much related to the width and height of the wood bridges or whether or not there is a bypass option for technical trail features. Blue usually means the wood is sitting on the ground or close to it, or there's often an option for technical trail features or some obstacles. But the actual trail may still be remarkably challenging.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    Yes, my wife loves riding there. Just look at the ratings at the beginning of the trail you want
    to ride before you ride it.
    Thanks. Well, I would be visiting from NY if I decide to go, and I would be traveling solo.
    Any advice on where to stay, how long of a stay, and other activities besides biking?

Thanks

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Biking (in and outside the park...outside well worth taking a day off of park), hiking (also well
    worth doing), golf (?), zip line, white water rafting. I find I spend my whole two weeks inside
    the park or riding a few trails outside and not much more.

As far as time....if you're planning on just riding about 2 weeks (any more than that I'd suggest
    going to one of the other parks for some variety).

After 2 weeks, you'll be looking for other things to do. Remember, a day at WBP is equal to
    about a month of riding back home (as far as actual time riding down hill), so two weeks is
    about a year of riding back home.

It's Disneyland for bikers, you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i'm starting to research whistler, BC and finding all sorts of things. looks amazing, but am i looking in the right places? i saw this spot under BC tourism.
    let me know the best areas of whistler to stay near for biking, activities, and all around good time.
    http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/a...s/profile/1181

i'm also kicking around possibly heading to vancouver on the way back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit

After 2 weeks, you'll be looking for other things to do..
    I'm going for 6 weeks, although one of those weeks will involve the week of Crankworx.

I love biking, a small bit of hiking and some partying every now and then...I am hoping to ride as much as I can taking breaks here and there to recover...Is 6 weeks overkill?..

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove
    I'm going for 6 weeks, although one of those weeks will involve the week of Crankworx.

I love biking, a small bit of hiking and some partying every now and then...I am hoping to ride as much as I can taking breaks here and there to recover...Is 6 weeks overkill?..
    If you're there that long, head up to Pemberton and do some riding there. It's good for some
    variety.

Members who have read this thread: 0