Western Canada MTB Season

Printable View

• 11-08-2005
    mtbmeister
    Western Canada MTB Season
    Just curious as to my fellow riders season time frame in your area. I am in Southern Ontario and our season goes from around early May through early November. Do you guys put the bike away in the winter too? Do you use a trainer in the winter? What are your off season training regimens? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

N.
  • 11-08-2005
    Legbacon
    Season?
    Why would the "season" end? My friend commutes year round in Winnipeg and if there is a harsher winter in any city I don't want to see it. There are always mtb oportunities in the winter. When I lived in ON (Trenton) we rode on snowmobile tracks and trails where walkers had packed the snow down. In Winnipeg last year I introduced a Frenchman (not QC) to winter cycling and he is now an enthusiastic winter rider. Get out this winter and ride, it's different but wiping out in the snow dosn't hurt.
  • 11-08-2005
    mtbmeister
    Not really an trail access close...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Why would the "season" end? My friend commutes year round in Winnipeg and if there is a harsher winter in any city I don't want to see it. There are always mtb oportunities in the winter. When I lived in ON (Trenton) we rode on snowmobile tracks and trails where walkers had packed the snow down. In Winnipeg last year I introduced a Frenchman (not QC) to winter cycling and he is now an enthusiastic winter rider. Get out this winter and ride, it's different but wiping out in the snow dosn't hurt.

While I would enjoy the winter riding, our local trails don't really allow for it. The landscape is somewhat sensitive due to the softening and potential erosion issues if riders took liberties in the winter. Many of them are actually closed, and I am not a roadie, not yet anyway. Still working on the next purchase with my CFO. There are some snowmobile trails, but they are a fair distance from where I am, so that isn't an option either.

N.
  • 11-09-2005
    Legbacon
    Where?
    Dosn't it freeze where you are? If the trails are wet I can see not riding but frozen mud has traction almost like slickrock.
  • 11-09-2005
    konahottie_311
    ahh winter riding
    Well this year I am going to commute for as long as I can this year. I live in calgary and it is only reallly bad in January and Febuary...if it gets to below -10 I doubt I will ride but other then that I will be out there. K
  • 11-09-2005
    mtbmeister
    Northwest of Toronto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Dosn't it freeze where you are? If the trails are wet I can see not riding but frozen mud has traction almost like slickrock.

Sure, the ground freezes. But my idea of fun is not heading out in -10C weather on a slippery cement packed trail to freeze my arse off. I tend to like to go fast, especially in singletrack areas which in winter would be much more dangerous. And as I said, most of the trails that you can ride are closed for the season. Around here, some of the trail access is forbidden to cyclists in the summer, nevermind the winter. There are four or five great venues to ride, a few of which are closest and closed to riders for the winter. They cross country ski there in the summer.

To be quite honest with you, I have bought a trainer and have an idea regarding creating some training vids to take the monotony out of it. I am trying to get an idea of the potential market for it based on the number of folks who actually use trainers. Since most folks in this neck of the woods don't get on the trails on our MTBs during the winter, I thought I would inquire with riders in your area. I know that in some cases such as Vancouver the weather may warrant getting out more than here. That's all...

N.
  • 11-13-2005
    free rider
    travis you are from edmonton right...

well if you are is there any good technical trails or dh trails in the west end other that mcinnon ravine
  • 11-14-2005
    Legbacon
    West
    A friend took me on a West Edmonton trail tour yesterday and I didn't see anything like that. The only place I've seen with stunts is in the Eastern part, between Goldbar and Strathcona Science Park.
  • 11-14-2005
    free rider
    alright thanks
  • 11-14-2005
    Excel
    ^That's probably the spot with the most stunts, around here.

There is one other spot that I know of that has stunts in Edmonton, and there is another spot that may have been torn down.

Give me a shout if you want to head out sometime next week. I hope the weather holds.

I'm going to Nordegg this weekend, so that's out of the question.
  • 11-14-2005
    free rider
    excel who were u talkin to
  • 11-14-2005
    Th' Mule
    Winter riding...

I love it.

I do it every chance I get. You just have to think ahead, make the proper preparations for you and your bike. Remember that riding in snow is a really good cardio workout!

Now to get the clipless pedals for the winterbike...
  • 11-14-2005
    Excel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by free rider
    excel who were u talkin to

You specifically, but if anyone wants to go on a ride, I'm ready to go almost every Tues/Thurs. afternoon, and weekends.
  • 11-14-2005
    free rider
    that depends on where u ride and how well u ride
  • 11-16-2005
    Full Mountain
    planning on comuting and possibly riding trails although i am on the wrong corner of the city for that...till it hits -20 then i'll probally park the bike and ride the bus but at the rate we're going in calgary its unlikely that we'll be seeing much of that this year
    DMR