Warner lake IMBA Epic. Any good or overhyped?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Warner lake IMBA Epic. Any good or overhyped?

Thinking about adding this to a "Must Do" list for 2016.

Can anyone give some input on the trail and the overall experience? Does it warrant the hype?

What would be the best time to hit this area, if we wanted to go in the spring?

Thanks in advance
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

ups and downs
    Maybe late, late spring, the elevation is significant so snow is going to be an issue. Have a look at the writeup. Your idea of epic ride may not match the IMBA but ultimately only you can decide if this is your cup of tea. In this writeup there's some photos and video. Warner Pass Trail Photos | Trailforks
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Chilcotin provides a truly memorable riding experience, perhaps the best in BC. If you like remote wilderness, big climbs and long days, it's the place. Fly-ins should be considered as part of the fun.
    Spring won't afford the best experience,IMO,considering elevation and weather. July through September are far better and will allow access to a wider range of trails. Wild life encounters are common, weather can change frequently throughout the day and the scenery never stops.
    Hype doesn't apply here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's exactly the input I was looking for, thank you. Sometimes it's not just about the ride itself.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pffft... Its not THAT good...

Jk Holy Sheeeet its unreal! So worth it. Pay for a plane drop. Soooo good. For my style of riding the best trails I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the input. Nice to hear the trail is worth it and the scenery is a huge bonus.

Anything else close to that area that's a must-do as well?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    Thanks for the input. Nice to hear the trail is worth it and the scenery is a huge bonus.

Anything else close to that area that's a must-do as well?
    If you go via the Sea to Sky highway, Squamish and Whistler are both on the way. Close is relative. The trails in Williams Lake and especially Burns Lake are fantastic fun!
    I don't want to over-state it, but you are going to love the Chilcotin, it really is a special place you'll include amongst the best rides /experiences of your mtb career. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Stoats. At my age, I've traveled with the bike a bit and am - at times - more interested in the overall experience than I am solely in the ride itself.

This sounds like a win on both levels. Thanks again for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One more question: What airport would be the best fly-in location to start a trip in the area?

ups and downs
    You'll need to fly into Vancouver and drive to the Tyax Resort area. Although Tyax runs a float plane shuttle from Whistler.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One more question: What airport would be the best fly-in location to start a trip in the area?
    If you have any desire or plans to check out Vancouver Island,send me a pm and I'll take you out. Bring some key lime pie!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    If you have any desire or plans to check out Vancouver Island,send me a pm and I'll take you out. Bring some key lime pie!
    Sounds like a deal to me, I'll bring you some beach sand too lol. Looking into flights now, holy cow that's a trip from S FL... Might have to lay over in CO so I don't go stir crazy on a plane.

Any good bike shops I should look into for a good rental?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sounds like a deal to me, I'll bring you some beach sand too lol. Looking into flights now, holy cow that's a trip from S FL... Might have to lay over in CO so I don't go stir crazy on a plane.

Any good bike shops I should look into for a good rental?
    Sorry, I can't help you with that. I'd email Tyax and see what they say. You can always rent in Whistler but it might not be practical
    There's good riding in Boise too, for a stop-over.