Wanted: riders for guided tours in Revelstoke and Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Wanted: riders for guided tours in Revelstoke and Whistler

Hi everyone,

I'll be doing some guided tours in BC in September. Intermediate level.

On 8 September I'll be riding with Wandering Wheels in Revelstoke. At the moment it's booked as a private tour. As a group (minimum of 3 riders) it would cost $194 each (inlc. bike rental) for a full day pedal tour.
    A shuttle tour would be $274 each.

On 16 and 17 September I'll be riding with Arbutus Routes in Whistler (maybe one day in Squamish). So far it's a private tour too. As a group (minimum of 2 riders) it would cost $199 each (inlc. bike rental) for a full day pedal tour.

I'd be happy to ride with other people. One, it's fun to ride in a small group (I've done that last year on Madeira/Portugal and it was great fun). Two, my 3 week round trip around BC wouldn't get much more expensive.

Anyone interested in joining those tours?

Cheers,
    Martin

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ I am riding with wandering wheels over the August long weekend.

Looks like it will be hot.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Wandering Wheels are a great crew. Awesome at finding ways to make sure all the riders are having fun, and their shuttle keeps the bikes nice and safe too!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How was your ride in Revelstoke? I am heading there on Sept 22 and 23 and in the same situation as you were (going for a guided ride with wandering wheels, but I'm the only rider that weekend... would be nice if other riders joined + cheaper too!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was the only rider in my tour, and there was no change in the price.

Riding was nice, tons of horsefly and skeeters on frisby ridge.

Keystone standard basin was the hardest trail I have ever ridden. Had a major mechanical at the cabin and had to walk my bike out. Not fun to hoof it that far. Was able O glide on downhills though
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the update! I just arrived in Calgary yesterday and will be heading to Revelstoke on Friday. I hesitated to bring bug spray, so now I'll make sure to bring it on the trail!
    Sorry to hear about your mechanical break; that must have sucked pretty bad. I was thinking of trying that trail on my second day after Frisby, I might reconsider given your input and ride closer to town.
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08FXT View Post
    Thanks for the update! I just arrived in Calgary yesterday and will be heading to Revelstoke on Friday. I hesitated to bring bug spray, so now I'll make sure to bring it on the trail!
    Sorry to hear about your mechanical break; that must have sucked pretty bad. I was thinking of trying that trail on my second day after Frisby, I might reconsider given your input and ride closer to town.
    Thanks again!
    If you ride Frisby relatively comfortably and though it was awesome, I'd give Keystone a shot. I've been touring BC all summer, riding everywhere, and Keystone is my favorite ride [disclaimer: 1) I was there during wildlfower season, and 2) It's more an experience ride than a full on MTB ride]. Hoofing it back from the Cabin would definitely put a damper on the ride, and the climbing in Keystone is much more difficult than Frisby, but consequently you are rewarded with being able to take your bike to places you rarely get access and you spend most of the ride in the alpine.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    If you ride Frisby relatively comfortably and though it was awesome, I'd give Keystone a shot. I've been touring BC all summer, riding everywhere, and Keystone is my favorite ride [disclaimer: 1) I was there during wildlfower season, and 2) It's more an experience ride than a full on MTB ride]. Hoofing it back from the Cabin would definitely put a damper on the ride, and the climbing in Keystone is much more difficult than Frisby, but consequently you are rewarded with being able to take your bike to places you rarely get access and you spend most of the ride in the alpine.
    Thanks! Will keep this in mind and see how frisby goes, and what the forecast looks like. I'm going hiking at lake ohara near lake Louise and they are calling for 15 cm of snow! I heard that mountain weather was un predictable, but I did not think that there could be so much snow in September! I would have brought my skis ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I rode in Revelstoke on the 8th. A solo tour (full day) would have been 350C$ (plus bike rental in my case), went for 3 hours ($70/hour) with Matt instead. Very good guiding and my tour finished with one of the longest descents I've ridden so far (Flowdown).
    After Half Nelson in Squamish my favourite trail of my tours. BC was amazing! For the trails we've got around Cologne I hate being back home!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_ View Post
    I rode in Revelstoke on the 8th. A solo tour (full day) would have been 350C$ (plus bike rental in my case), went for 3 hours ($70/hour) with Matt instead. Very good guiding and my tour finished with one of the longest descents I've ridden so far (Flowdown).
    After Half Nelson in Squamish my favourite trail of my tours. BC was amazing! For the trails we've got around Cologne I hate being back home!
    Thanks for your input! I will also be renting. Flow down is the 3rd trail I have on my list! Glad to hear how you liked it. My top trail is also half Nelson sore I am looking forward to compare. I hear you, it's good to be reminded how lucky we are to live e in Canada as we sometimes take it for granted!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I had three great weeks. Riding on Vancouver Island (+ Hornby Island), in Revelstoke, Jasper, Whistler and Squamish. Happy days! And people were very friendly and polite. Loved it! Definitely gonna come back!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick update: I had a fantastic time in Revy. Rode Frisby on day 1 and Keystone Basin on day 2 with Wandering wheels. Frisby was like 80% up and 20% of flowy tracks on the alpine area. Keystone was more demanding but more fun (up and down) and technical in certain areas. Amazing views on both trails; highly recommend them. I stayed at the Cube hotel which I also recommend, perfect location with a kitchen if you want to cook your own meals.
    If keystone is not yet on your bucked list, have a look at this (3 years old, but always as good): https://www.pinkbike.com/video/388733/

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sounds like you had a wicked time! Sadly it was all hazy due the fires when I was there, so I didn't get the views, but some very good riding and two very good dinners at the Woolsey Creek Bistro and Taco Club.

Great video btw! Love they're getting out into nature to hit some proper singletrails. Far away from Whistler Bike Park e.g.!