Voluntary closure of trails in Canmore?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Voluntary closure of trails in Canmore?

I've heard about a voluntary closure of part or all of the benchlands trail in Canmore. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.canmoreleader.com/story.php?id=154801

Is the Upper Benchlands Trail the section west of Cougar creek that goes up along the ridgeline?
    Last edited by AscentCanada; 05-20-2005 at 07:02 AM. Reason: More Info

I think this is a trail..
    Well, I wouldn't call it a ridge line as much as an exposed bench, but yes, that would be the trail they are talking about.

The upper Bench traverse from Cougar Creek to the Stone Works Canyon drainage is supposed to be pernamently closed starting any time now. The rest of the lower Bench trails, Alpine Club Trails plus anything west of Stone Works will remain open. The Department of Sustainable resources have built a replacement trail below the original traverse, just above the golf course. Unfortunately they decided to follow an already existing narrow single track and make it Burley width with a mini bulldozer. So now it is a straight wide rough track that turns to goop every time it rains.

BTW, the Nordic Centre can still be ridden as long as you know how to avoid the construction.

G
    Yard Sale! Corner of Courage and Incompetence

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The new trail is a waste of time for anyone who enjoyed riding the Upper Benchlands trail....unless, as Skogan mentioned, you're pulling a Burley. Or if you enjoy watching golfers while riding.

From the Leader article...
    "All the large carnivores we have around here we've found on that upper bench. Cougars and wolves in particular have used that extensively in the past four years and we've demonstrated that they're using the upper corridor while avoiding all the other areas".

"...past four years..."...that's because all "the other areas" have been developed into golf courses and million dollar home sub-divisions within the past four years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I biked the Upper Benchlands trail last weekend I dont think it was closed. There were many other bikers on it too. I heard something about a new trail being made over on Chinaman's? I mostly bike in south Canmore on the mining roads. Unfortuanitly these "trails" sometimes become bush wacking because they are not maintained at all.

They are planing on building another one beside the Stewart Creek Golf course! Its a good thing too considering the shortage of golf courses here. I mean a town of 10 thousand should have at least 15 golf courses! The developers don't even consider all the trails that come down from the mountains and end on their properties! What are the hikers/bikers supposed to do? Climb back up the mountain and find another way down?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Is this the area up near the quarry?

I think this is a trail..
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Is this the area up near the quarry?
    Nope, this is on the other side of the Cougar Creek drainage. I think you were with us when we rode it at the 2002 gathering. The section slated for closure is the grassy bench where you have a great (?) view looking down on the Silvertip Golf Course and the rest of Canmore.

Rode it today and ran into the Meanderthals, the local crusty old hiking group. Basically their position on the situation is the gov't can kiss their ass...
    Yard Sale! Corner of Courage and Incompetence

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I wasn't on that ride, (I think that was the day Ina and I rode Rundle Riverside to Banff), but from your description I know where you mean.

Thanks for the info!