Visitor to British Columbia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Visitor to British Columbia

Hello Canadians,

I'm doing a study abroad program in your fine country this summer and was wondering if there are any local mountain bikers willing to give me a tour of the great mountain biking scene up in BC. I will be attending UBC (University of British Columbia) in Vancouver from May 23rd to June 23rd and should have plenty of time to hit the mountains.

I'm a standard XC rider on a hardtail with 80mm of suspension up front and v-brakes so free-riding or all mountain riding really isn't my thing. I consider myself to be your average avid rider (I ride at least once or twice a week) and cover about 18-25 miles on each ride at an average pace of about 8.5 miles per hour. I ride mainly fire roads and single track that is not overly technical.
    Although, I would still be willing to go check out Whistler just because it is so legendary and to see how the locals get things done.
    There is still a lot of XC riding up in BC, right? The free-riding seems to get most of the attention in the BC region.

Any general information about XC riding in Vancouver would also be greatly appreciated. Such as, do I need bear spray or a bear bell?
    Thanks for reading and I hope to find some guides. Of course, for anyone willing to give me a tour, dinner or lunch and a beer will be on me.

mtbr member

Checking out Vancouver XC myself.......

Hi there,

I can help a little. I have been here for 2 months and have been checking out the area for XC rides.

First, UBC borders on a large forested area to the south that has LOTS of trails. I have not been riding there yet, but looks pretty tame. Perfect for a quick spin, though.

Across town at Simon Frasier University in Burnaby you find more intense trails. SFU is on a very large (small mountain) circled with trails and forest. A few small stunts but very reasonable for an intermidate rider. As much of a workout as you want.

At present, I am living in Gibsons, a small village 17 miles west of North Vancouver by ferry. The area has a network of trails starting at the ferry landing going appox 30 miles.
    Every sort of trail riding except big air.

Finally, I have been looking at riding the Whistler area and have found a great source of information on XC trails there. Videos, maps, pictures and reviews of trails in the area that this club rode last summer. http://nrmbc.org/Trips/Whistler/WhistlerHome.htm

Hope this helps a bit.

bikemanla

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    You likely wont need a bear bell or spray.

There's still some XC but most of our XC is considered to be very technical.

Bikemania caught some of the areas. There's also Buntzen Lake, Belcarra, some odd stuff around Lower Seymour. The closest really good xc is Squamish and the Sunshine Coast - a 30 minute ferry ride away. Frankly our XC riding scene blows.

Post on bb.nsmb.com in the Ride Planning forum for rides.

Quote Originally Posted by EsHan13
    Hello Canadians,

I'm doing a study abroad program in your fine country this summer and was wondering if there are any local mountain bikers willing to give me a tour of the great mountain biking scene up in BC. I will be attending UBC (University of British Columbia) in Vancouver from May 23rd to June 23rd and should have plenty of time to hit the mountains.

I'm a standard XC rider on a hardtail with 80mm of suspension up front and v-brakes so free-riding or all mountain riding really isn't my thing. I consider myself to be your average avid rider (I ride at least once or twice a week) and cover about 18-25 miles on each ride at an average pace of about 8.5 miles per hour. I ride mainly fire roads and single track that is not overly technical.
    Although, I would still be willing to go check out Whistler just because it is so legendary and to see how the locals get things done.
    There is still a lot of XC riding up in BC, right? The free-riding seems to get most of the attention in the BC region.

Any general information about XC riding in Vancouver would also be greatly appreciated. Such as, do I need bear spray or a bear bell?
    Thanks for reading and I hope to find some guides. Of course, for anyone willing to give me a tour, dinner or lunch and a beer will be on me.

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for the response guys. I finally got here in Vancouver on May 23rd and I'm pretty impressed thus far. It really does seem like a great city.
    I checked out the city by bike and even found some pretty nice bike shops. I'm in need of a new stem since one of my bolts stripped but it's still functioning so I'm taking a gamble and still riding with it.
    I was talking to an employee at Steed Cycles (on 4th Avenue) and he told me Squamish is the place to go for some good XC riding. I did some research on it and it supposedly has some world-class single track that is not to be missed. That sounds way to tempting and I'm planning on going possibley the weekend of June 3, 2006 (Saturday) or on June 4th. I hope to have a local or expat with me as a wingman by then, if not, I'd go solo as well. Anyone interested, just drop me a line at: [email protected]
    And as promised, a good lunch or dinner and a beer will gladly be on me.
    Take it easy guys and thanks again for the replies.

Members who have read this thread: 0