Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme

We're visiting my in-laws in a few weeks who live 5 min from the Mt Fromme trails. I've been riding on the road for 6 years but have only gotten into XC MTB'ing this last year. Back home I ride what we consider to be Intermediate singletrack with some Adv trails, but I realize the North Shore is a completely different beast.

Any advice or trails that I could hit while visiting? I'm fine with climbing and 3-4 hour rides. Just want to make sure I don't get into anything too over my head. Also, would love to stick to some local trails that I could ride to from the In-laws house.

Thanks in advance!

ups and downs
    Keep in mind that North Shore trail ratings are really AM/freeride trail ratings not XC trail ratings, so blue trails on Fromme or Seymour might look like a black diamond XC trail in other parts of the world. A 125-150mm travel bike is a weapon of choice for most of these trails. Blue trails may still have mandatory low ladder bridges with most anything elevated having a bypass, there's lots of roots and rocks on green and blue trails. There's also very few long trails, you get long rides by doing laps of various short trails climbing Mountain Highway.

To calibrate your trail rating comparison, here's the progression that would be the least risky, all within short riding distance of Fromme and Lynn Valley. Start off with the green and blue trails of Circuit 8, the Central, West and John Thompson trails. That will give you an idea of the range trail surfaces to expect in green and blue rated trails that are nearly flat, a few metres of elevation change.

Circuit 8 Central Loop Mountain Bike Trail - Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, North Vancouver
    Circuit 8 West Loop Mountain Bike Trail - Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, North Vancouver
    John Thompson Mountain Bike Trail - Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, North Vancouver

If the blue trails are within your comfort zone, then the Richard Juryn trail adds some elevation to the tech trail surfaces, it's a few minutes ride south of Circuit 8. This is a steep up and down, with the south bound downhill giving you an idea of what to expect on Fromme or Seymour Blue trails. Ride up Camp Brick and up and over the Richard Juryn...

Camp Brick Mountain Bike Trail - Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, North Vancouver
    Richard Juryn System Mountain Bike Trail - Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, North Vancouver

At the top of the Camp Brick climb looking south this is what you'd see.

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7952.jpg

Part way up you have the choice of taking the Backside alternate route by going right at the intersection. Here's a YouTube vid of Richard Juryn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBzer-Z3cNI

If the Richard Juryn trail is within your comfort zone, then you could tackle some of trails on Fromme where lots of elevation gets added in, you could start with greens like Roadside Attraction and King of the Shore, and then loop back up and ride some blues like Upper/Middle/Lower Griffen, Bobsled and Expresso. These are all accessed by climbing Mountain Highway.

Here's a few YouTube vids of the Fromme Trails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIiZzH7oI0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGK3COV7R3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQdEk3637E

You'll see a lot of people with full face helmets and knee and elbow pads, likely riding black diamond trails, but there are very few soft places to land when things go wrong on the blue trails, lots of roots and rocks.

That progression should keep you from feeling in over your head once you get to the trails on Fromme.

If you do feel like the trails are not in your comfort zone, the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve has a terrific 11km paved recreation road for a road bike ride out to dam and fish hatchery, a nice out and back with no traffic. It's right in the same neighbourhood as Circuit 8 and Richard Juryn.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Rocky - thanks so much for this. The Fromme trails look do-able. Not sure about some of the other vids from Fromme I've been watching...

ups and downs
    Here's the whole trail network on Mt.Fromme, not a lot of blue trails, and some of the trail heads are a sizable climb to get up to the likes of 6th switchback (700m elevation) for access to Executioner to get to Dreamweaver

Mount Fromme Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-02-2016 at 05:52 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks, I have that App on my phone. Do you know if you get cell phone service on Fromme? Would be nice to be able to check the map from time to time...

Are there any XC trails in Northern or Western Van?

ups and downs
    For the most part cell reception is good on Fromme

Long, loamy, buff XC singletrack is rare in North or West Van, the mountains rise from sea level to 4000' so things tend to be steep and rocky and rooty, there's sections of the blue trails that are nice and loamy, but it never lasts long as even the traverses are short. Longer loamy single track trails exist in Squamish about 45 minutes north on the Sea to Sky highway on the way to Whistler. Dreamweaver and Expresso are the two longest blue trails on Fromme. Cypress Mountain in West Van is even steeper and gnarlier. There's a few more blue trails on Mt. Seymour, but some of those might be on the very dark blue spectrum of intermediate.

There's some trails like Fisherman's Trail that runs along the Seymour River, but it's only 6km one way and pretty much an all season gravel trail surface with about 1/2km of boardwalk in the middle.

Here's a couple of shots of the green and blue trails on Circuit 8, it's a short trail network but good fun.

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7911.jpg

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7910.jpg

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7742.jpg

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7882.jpg

Visiting Vancouver near Mt Fromme-dscf7947.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-02-2016 at 05:55 AM.