Vancouver Island Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vancouver Island Trails

Heading up to Vancouver island this Friday and will have till next Wednesday to do some exploring. I'll b with my wife, brother in law, and his girlfriend.

I'm trying to plan out a few rides that the lady's can do with us. If anyone has any good beginner oriented areas or loops 10-15 miles 1000-2000ft of climbing, that you can recommend that would be great.

We are going to take ferry and are staying near cumberland forest area. Hoping to stop near nanaimo on our way up from the ferry for a ride.

We are also going to hit up hornby one day. Me and my brother-in-law enjoy the steep stuff and will be doing some riding on our own too.

Any tips on trails, places to avoid now (fires), places not to miss, would be much appreciated!!!

ups and downs
    Cumberland Forest has no end of trails in a tight packed area. Lots of blue trails

https://www.trailforks.com/region/cumberland-forest/

There's some published routes of various lengths with elevation plotted

https://www.trailforks.com/region/cu...forest/routes/

If you were going to stop near Nanaimo then Doumont has a tight packed trail group with lots of blue options

https://www.trailforks.com/region/doumont/

and a bunch of recommended routes with elevation plotted

https://www.trailforks.com/region/doumont/routes/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vancouver Island Trails-cumberland-trails.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbike81 View Post
    Heading up to Vancouver island this Friday and will have till next Wednesday to do some exploring. I'll b with my wife, brother in law, and his girlfriend.

I'm trying to plan out a few rides that the lady's can do with us. If anyone has any good beginner oriented areas or loops 10-15 miles 1000-2000ft of climbing, that you can recommend that would be great.

We are going to take ferry and are staying near cumberland forest area. Hoping to stop near nanaimo on our way up from the ferry for a ride.

We are also going to hit up hornby one day. Me and my brother-in-law enjoy the steep stuff and will be doing some riding on our own too.

Any tips on trails, places to avoid now (fires), places not to miss, would be much appreciated!!!

Nearby is Hammerfest just short of the entrance to Englishman River Falls Park. Locomotion and Jughead are beginner friendly and stupid fun at speed.

In Cumberland, Vanilla-Blue Collar-Crafty Butcher should are beginner friendlyish. The East Bloc trails behind the BMX track are pretty tame as well. For the boys ride try the higher trails. Black trails have nothing that can't be rolled. Instead of recommendations, I will advise to not do Wookie's Toothpicks-Queso Grande, uphill even descending. Finished a ride last night and felt like I had drank 6 cups of coffee.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Thank you both for all the info, that helps a ton!

John

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk