Vancouver business trip...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Vancouver business trip...

Gonna be in Vancouver between May 16 and May 21 for a business trip. Staying near the big Vancouver conference center (the one on the harbor with the sails). Anyone know of mountain bike rentals in the area that rent really big bikes (like 21 inch or bigger)? Also, any local rides ever go down that I could jump into (strong climber, pretty good tech skills)? Finally, how far is it from the downtown area to North Shore trails?

ups and downs
    http://www.nsride.com

and you can rent a North Shore capable bike from Different Bikes in North Vancouver, at the base of Mt. Seymour, and ride straight out of the parking lot to the Old Buck trailhead at the base of Seymour.

The Seabus runs every 15 minutes from the terminal beside the Convention Centre to the North Van terminal. Then you can bus it down Mt.Seymour Parkway to the Parkgate Mall to Different Bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for response How long u think it takes to go that route from convention center to seymour? Also, is there any singletrack in Stanley Park (I've heard conflicting reports), and is there good public transportation (like bus with bike rack) over to Burnaby Mtn?

ups and downs
    The bus trip from the Lonsdale Quay where the seabus arrives to Parkgate is maybe 30 minutes, it goes to Phibbs Exchange for a transfer, but you'd have to check the Translink website or call the transit info line to get real info.

Stanley Park has some trails, but they are primarily wide public park walking trails, and the kind of wildlife you can find in there, even during the day, is a bit... mmmm well... weird, being a downtown urban park (if ya know what I mean).

You can get to Burnaby Mountain on the bus, not sure if they all have bike racks, but Hastings St. connects downtown to SFU on the mountain. I think there's another transfer point in there, but there may be express buses at some times of day.

Been a long time since I took the bus anywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If your idea of riding is real mtb, the north shore and mnt butnaby is the way to go!!,

I just arrived to vancouver 4 months ago and I have to tell you Stanley Park is nice to ride with a commuter bike, as a tourist, but thats it, nice for pictures but not for real mtb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How about the stuff over by UBC? any good singletrack there?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    mmm, Pacific Spirit Regional Park, its like wide gravel multi use trails. As I live close from UBC, on weekdays I usually get there just for fitness, nice forest tough. On weekends, where more time is available, north shore is the first option (many trails in seymour, Lynn valley, grouse mtn and cypress mtb), burnaby park that I have heard is nice too, the same in port coquitlam. For longer rides kamloops, whistler up north and galbraith just crossing the US border (1 - 1/30 hours south).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Is bike travel pretty safe in vancouver and north vancouver? I was thinking about taking the ferry across to north vancouver and riding road to seymour or cypress....am from southern california so am pretty used to doing long climbs to earn my downhill.

Do you know if there are ever group rides during the week?

ups and downs
    If you have a bike you can ride across the Lion's Gate Bridge or Second Narrows to the North Shore.

There's a bike lane on Mt.Seymour Parkway, it's maybe 25 minutes from the sea bus to the Parkgate Mall. The Old Buck trail head is only 350-400' above sea level and teh climb up Old Buck to Bridle Path is only 150-200' and the climb to the Power line for Ned's is about 1000' more.

The ride from the sea bus to Mountain Highway up into Lynn Valley to ride Mt.Fromme is about 1200' to the Grouse service road entrance and it's about 2200' total to the 6th switchback.

Check http://www.nsride.com/ they do week day rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cool...thanks for the info

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    If you decide to go to SFU, let me know. We are up there a lot and can show you some fun trails.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks! If I am able to make it over to SFU I will PM you. In your opinion, if I have only two rides, should I hit the North Shore twice or mix it up and go SFU?

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Do the shore first. If you need another fix you can go again, or try SFU for a more chillin' time for the second outing.

Members who have read this thread: 0