Utards coming to Canada - looking for local Riders- Mtbr.com
    Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008

Utards coming to Canada - looking for local Riders

A couple of us from Utah are going on a road trip to ride some trails in BC. We are looking for some locals to hook up with on our travels. We will have both coss-country and freeride bikes with us, and the ability to use them (our skills are pretty good in Utah, but may be lacking in BC?). We will be leaving Utah on July 23rd and arrive in Canada on 24th. Our stops include:

Rossland (24th and 25th)
    Revelstoke (26th)
    Golden (27th and 28th)
    Fernie (29th and 30th)

Let us know if you wouldn't mind showing two Utards around and we would be happy to return the favor!

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    You've identified some of my favourite areas in B.C. to ride but, unfortunately, I'm headed to Jasper AB at the time you are here!

Rossland is a really friendly town with lots of good trails and great local riders, check at the lbs in town and I'm sure you can find some people to ride with.

Have a great trip!

mtbr member
    Don't forget New Denver!

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    PVR - thanks for the tip!

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wankel7
    Don't forget New Denver!
    New Denver is on my hit list, don't know if we will have the time, but if some local riders want to show us around, than we would make the stop!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can't show you around, but I'll share my thoughts.

I've ridden in Moab - if you're skills are up to that, then you will do just fine on many, many BC trails.

Rossland - hit the 7 Summits as it a fantastic ride. apparently there is a trail that goes from Rossland to Trail and is really fun - I didn't get a chance to ride it but will next time...

Golden - great single track at Moonraker and great DH shuttle action at Mount 7. Lots of info including maps here:http://www.tourismgolden.com/activities/summer/biking
    I've camped at Sander lake campground - it makes a good base of operations.

Fernie - my favourite place to ride. Camp at Mt Fernie campground if you can (it books up fast) as it is the trailhead for lots of great riding. Buy the map in town at any of the LBS's and ask them to draw in some of the new trails that have been built since the map was published. Start out riding up Stove and down Dem Bones. Then up Gorby and down Snakebite or Verboten and back to the campsite via Sherwoody Forest. Phat Bastard to Lactic Ridge to Slunt is a fun combo. On the other side of town the Roots trails are worth hitting (roots, roots extension, roots hyper extension, and hyper ventilation) The ridgemont trails are good too.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Honestly, you're doing too much driving around.

Rossland -> Revelstoke - 4 hours

Rossland -> Fernie - 3 hours.

If I were you I'd pick either the N Kootenays and do just Revy or Golden

Or pick the S Kootenays and do New Denver, Nelson, Rossland.

Fernie is an entirely different topic and a bit out of the way. It's a half day's drive there.

I put up a bunch of video about riding in the Kootenays in the DH/FR forum.

I've also got a few trip reports about riding in Revy, New Denver etc. There's lots of info available so even if you don't find locals you'll be fine
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I gotta agree with Lee on this. There are plenty of trails in Rossland and Nelson to keep you entertained for a week.

Here is something to ponder...
    http://www.rosslandtrails.ca/cms/fil...6TrailsMap.pdf

I couldn't find a trail map for Nelson but there are more trails than in Rossland. So around 70+ trails to ride between the 2 then through in Idaho Peak up in New Denver...

Check out the videos of nelson at the bottom of this page.

http://nelsoncyclingclub.blogspot.co...iding-mtb.html

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    MTBR is slow like molasses so here's videos from Nelson, Castlegar and New Denver in one thread. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124286

You can buy a very good map of Nelson and of New Denver from local bike shops

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys - we only have reservations for two nights at Rossland, the rest is up in the air.

Fernie is one of the closest places to us (Utah), that is why we where stopping there on the way home.

mtbr member
    Like Lee says, too much driving, not enough riding. Typical rookie mistake, you'll know better for next time. I'd ditch Revy and Golden for another trip when you have more time.

A week in the Nelson/Rossland zone is unreal, and you can drop down into Washington State right there. Way less stress, way less hassle, way more riding.

Make another trip up to Fernie and loop it up to Golden and Revy with a stop at Cox Hill. Hit Invermere on your way back down the Trench. That makes way more sense.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    If you make it up to New Denver (2 hs from Rossy), I'd be happy to show/shuttle you around. Lots of good riding for every skill level.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info, you guys must ride more than me. I ride every day, but 8 hours of riding per day is about my limit. We where figuring that the driving might be nice to sight-see and rest the legs? I have been to all these places, yet in the winter and didn't think the driving was all that bad. Maybe it is due to the fact that we are from the wrong side of boarder and drive everywhere?

We will probably change the plans, and sounds like we will now stop in New Denver and ride.

Keep the info coming, you guys are great!

mtbr member
    If you like the long rides, ask at Sacred Ride in Nelson about Lockhart Creek. You do an 18km logging road to an hour and half of mixed hiking and riding up a gnarly trail, and then there's a 15-16km singletrack descent through interior rain forest. Sick ride, but you'll need to find out conditions first. Sometimes there's issues with deadfall.

It's across a ferry from Nelson, just north of Creston. Definitely a highlight ride. It's amazing to go that fast in deep forest.

http://bushpilotbiking.com/2007/08/07/wsfe-day-7/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Thanks for the info, you guys must ride more than me.
    Nah, I'd say the post ride beering keeps us from driving The trails in that area are so good that you'll just get a teaser in 2 days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tour de BC

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm the other mystery rider on this trip. We have bear spray, mosquito spray, spare bikes, and $. Where are good places to eat?! Anyways, if you are local in these areas it would be GREAT if you show us around. If any of you cruise down to Utahland we can return the favor and show you around.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by K2BEASTIN
    Where are good places to eat?!
    You would have to think with your stomach!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In Fernie, check the Curry Bowl. Good food and a large, reasonably priced (by canuck standards) beer menu.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    New Denver - check the Appletree Cafe.

Revelstoke - Chalet Bakery

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rossland is pretty small - check out Iggies or the Rock Cut Pub up by Red Mountain.

Nelson has lots of restaurants and I don't remember all the names. But look for the french baker in the back alley behind the Bank of Montreal, forget about the power bars, pick up a fugusi for the ride. For 5 star look for the All Season Cafe, again its down a back alley... Max and Irma's has a wood fired pizza oven. The city dinner down by ROAM is supposed to be good and affordable. A cool coffee shop is Oso Negro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you are looking for a down day, Ainsworth hotsprings is up the lake past the Balfour Ferry. Its a pretty good one with a cave that is like a sauna. Stop at the bakery at the Ferry...

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Crank
    In Fernie, check the Curry Bowl. Good food and a large, reasonably priced (by canuck standards) beer menu.
    I know the Curry Bowl well, great place, but the upstairs waiting room is a little cramped! I love Beer and Curry!!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Or in Nakusp, park at the hot springs and ride the Kuskanux trail (starts right out back). Then slog 12 km back up the road to the hot springs.....immerse slowly and evenly. AHHHHHHH! Turn to jello. Head into Nakusp and gorge at the Middle Earth Cafe.

All fat, all the time.
    Cool post & sweet vids!
    We're heading up to Nelson in a couple weeks, hope to get a couple rides in.

Members who have read this thread: 0