Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions

Going to be spending a week in Canmore the beginning of September and would like to get some riding in. We'll probably only end up with a couple days to ride so would like to maximize enjoyment on those days. My buddy and I are both cross country riders from Michigan, both ride 29er hardtails on mostly smooth, flowy singletrack.

Looking for some advice on where to rent from and where to ride. Any forums or website referrals would be great as well. Thanks.

conjoinicorned
    the canmore to banff ride is pretty good, that way you can check out banff as well which is always worthwhile for a tourist.
    there is some great riding in canmore, but it's all very short (nordic centre, benchlands, highline). jumpingpound / cox hill is not too far and pretty classic ride.

check out rebound cycle in canmore for rentals and ride details, they have a sizable fleet of nice bikes. probably won't find a 29er LOL
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

ups and downs
    Depending on what level of riding you're after, the Canmore Nordic Centre has some nicely developed singletrack trails that are hardtail friendly, they just ran the Canadian Nationals on about half of them. EKG, Baby Beluga, Get In/Get Out, Killer Bees, Back Door, The Albertan are typical east slopes singletrack. You could spend at least half a day on these trails, and get used to the 1425m (4674ft) elevation. Trailsports at the Nordic Centre does rentals. The bonus is there's no trail access fees for the Nordic Centre and it's only 5 minutes from town.

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...ummer_2010.pdf

Here's a few shots from last weekend.

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc1.jpg

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc2.jpg

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc3.jpg

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc4.jpg

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc10.jpg

And once you're warmed up on those, there's a bunch of trails in the wilds around Canmore. The local bike shops will be able to direct you to trails that match your skill/fitness levels.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 07-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    trail sports, at the nordic center, rents HIGH end rocky bikes. SKi stop in banff has some nice options too.

rides in banff: lake minniwanka
    rundle loop
    upper/lower stoney squaw

lake louise: ross lake, and moraine lake highline.

bow valley mountain bike alliance has a good web site too.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Depending on what level of riding you're after, the Canmore Nordic Centre has some nicely developed singletrack trails that are hardtail friendly, they just ran the Canadian Nationals on about half of them. EKG, Baby Beluga, Get In/Get Out, Killer Bees, Back Door, The Albertan are typical east slopes singletrack. You could spend at least half a day on these trails, and get used to the 1425m (4674ft) elevation. Trailsports at the Nordic Centre does rentals. The bonus is there's no trail access fees for the Nordic Centre and it's only 5 minutes from town.

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...ummer_2010.pdf

Here's a few shots from last weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC1.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	557363

Name:	CNC2.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	557364

Name:	CNC3.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	557365

Name:	CNC4.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	557366
    Wow, those trails look great!

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin
    Wow, those trails look great!
    Here's a few more shots from the National's weekend. There's never an opportunity to stop and take shots in the flowier or more challenging parts of the trails. They've done a nice job with the development of the singletrack at CNC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc5.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc6.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc11.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc12.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-cnc9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Jay
    Going to be spending a week in Canmore the beginning of September and would like to get some riding in. We'll probably only end up with a couple days to ride so would like to maximize enjoyment on those days. My buddy and I are both cross country riders from Michigan, both ride 29er hardtails on mostly smooth, flowy singletrack.

Looking for some advice on where to rent from and where to ride. Any forums or website referrals would be great as well. Thanks.
    I am just back from 10 days in Canmore. The rental shop (Trail Sports) at the Canmore Nordic Center had a couple RM Altitude 29ers for rent from what I saw.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Some of those shots that Rocky posted were part of the 24 Hour race this past weekend. I too ride a 29er hardtail and the course was fairly hardtail friendly. Lots of riding up at the Nordic Centre that you could check out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great, looks like Canmore Nordic Center it is. I checked out the Bow Valley Mtb Alliance site as well, lots of great information there. Thanks to everyone for the replies. Thanks to Rockyuphill for the pictures, makes me really excited to get out there and ride.

ups and downs
    There's some nifty flowy bermed corner stretches on Baby Beluga and there's a bunch of really fun stretches of trail where I was having too much fun or needed too much focus to consider stopping and taking photos. There were also places that were so twisty and turny that you could only see a few feet of trail at a time, no point taking pics.

There's a lot of gravel and paved XC ski trails as well, I was trying to stay on the singletrack just to maximize the fun. You could likely ride all the CNC singletrack once in half a day, but at 4674' elevation, you'll be feeling the workout.

mtbr member
    There's some nifty flowy bermed corner stretches on Baby Beluga and there's a bunch of really fun stretches of trail where I was having too much fun or needed too much focus to consider stopping and taking photos. There were also places that were so twisty and turny that you could only see a few feet of trail at a time, no point taking pics.

There's a lot of gravel and paved XC ski trails as well, I was trying to stay on the singletrack just to maximize the fun. You could likely ride all the CNC singletrack once in half a day, but at 4674' elevation, you'll be feeling the workout.
    Soft Yogurt into Devonian Drop is one of my favourite secions of trails there. A fun pump track section followed up by steep, technical switchbacks.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So whats the weather like in the early part of september?

Thanks for all the good info, the pictures are really cool. Any cyclocross races going on in the beginning of September that anyone knows about?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    First scheduled cyclocross race of the season is on September 19, 2010 in Red Deer. It is the Campus Cross Madness race.

Cross season here is short and intense. Usually 2 sanctioned races per weekend for 6-7 weeks. Then it's over.

http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/id/659

mtbr member
    What kind of mileage can you get on those Canmore trails? I'm coming to Calgary and looking for some 20+ mile rides to do.

What's the story on that Lake Moraine Highline trail?

ups and downs
    If you did all the singletrack at the Canmore Nordic Centre you might just get to 30km, but a XC ski centre is not the best place to find some really good long rides, there's a bunch of 20-40mile ride loops in Kananaskis County in between Calgary and Canmore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I too am planning a trip to Calgary for work next June and July.
    I will be staying in Calgary for a week before I can head out to some trails.
    I have a friend in Calgary where I can stay while I do a week of mountain biking.
    Would it be cheaper to rent a bike in Calgary or go straight to Canmore?
    I too am interested in midly technical cross country.
    Can you suggest more trails, maybe in the Kanaski's
    The Canmore to Banff sounds interesting, but far too easy.

rob

mtbr member
    It's my first time out in the Nordic Center and this is a pic from today. Just checkin' out the place with pa. (shhh he's a newbie!)

His first crash. I heard a UGH! Turned and saw the bike flying. He was all good. Right on pa!

I plan on hitting the NC early tomorrow to ride more but i'm pretty freaked out about going out alone knowing that bears are a common sighting. I live in the socal area and don't worry too much about the local wildlife such as rattlesnakes, mountain lions, or hikers (J/K!). Plan on getting some bear spray but any other suggestions for how to handle a chance meeting with one?

ups and downs
    Take your chainstay protector off, the chain rattle will be more than enough to give the bears a heads up you're coming. Watch out for the dog sized bear cubs, that's the most dangerous thing to encounter because then you know mom is close by. 95% of the time they want to avoid people, so just make sure you don't surprise them or get between mom and a cub.

Bear spray is likely to get you into more trouble unless you have practice using it, you're more likely to get it sprayed back in your face from wind and then you won't be able to keep track of what the bear is doing.

Here's a basic guideline of what to do.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...s/bearsaf.html

Oh yes, and don't carry food in your jersey pocket, anything sealed like Clif bars is OK, but avoid anything that they could smell from a distance (bananas, PB&J sandwiches, etc).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tkbiker
    It's my first time out in the Nordic Center and this is a pic from today. Just checkin' out the place with pa. (shhh he's a newbie!)

His first crash. I heard a UGH! Turned and saw the bike flying. He was all good. Right on pa!

I plan on hitting the NC early tomorrow to ride more but i'm pretty freaked out about going out alone knowing that bears are a common sighting. I live in the socal area and don't worry too much about the local wildlife such as rattlesnakes, mountain lions, or hikers (J/K!). Plan on getting some bear spray but any other suggestions for how to handle a chance meeting with one?

If you worried hoot an holler every thirty seconds or so...

That is about it, course if you forget, there ain't a lot of bears in canmore anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott

That is about it, course if you forget, there ain't a lot of bears in canmore anyway.
    LOL! I did exactly that when I was up past the meadow looking for Terminator ST. Did the EKG loop and got a lot of good pics. Thanks for the bear info Rocky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Lots of great info. On the other side of Quarry Lake is the highline trail. Lots of fun. The other side of the valley is the G8 and the Montane.

Originally Posted by jeffscott

Just in case anyone reads this the wrong way:

• Pack bear spray and know how to use it
    • bear bangers work well. Pactice using them.
    • Be aware of bear droppings
    • Check wildsmart.ca for daily info
    • check to make sure your bearspray is not outa date
    • Have a bell and yell lots.

So far this year i have seen two black bears and one grizzly. My wife while riding at the nordic centre had a black bear rear up at the two of them (roughly 60 feet away) while riding on the Georgetown three weeks ago.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What kind of mileage can you get on those Canmore trails? I'm coming to Calgary and looking for some 20+ mile rides to do.

What's the story on that Lake Moraine Highline trail?
    what story? here is some info

all in all, it's a seriously beautiful trail (scenery wise, it'll rival anything in north america, period). best done with Ross lake, as well as a pint or two and maybe lunch at one of the two lakes.

if long rides is what you seek, kananaskis is where you must go. there are plenty.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Can't wait

Lot's of great info - thanks...and thanks OP for asking the question..I got all my answers (and some great pics ot boot) without having to ask. I'll also be heading out to Calgary - Banff - Jasper for about 2 and a half weeks in September and plan to get some riding in. Hopefully the weather will be as good as it was the last few years - I think we had about 8 to 10 straight days of +25C in each of the last two Septembers up in Jasper. It was a little cooler when we headed south towards Banff/Canmore but still great weather. I did a lot of riding up in Jasper but didn't get a chance to explore the Canmore trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Whats the weather and trails been like lately? Our trip is rapidly approaching.

ups and downs

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cold wet and windy right now (sat night). Weather should improve by late Tuesday. The lows have been dropping to 2-3 degrees. Riding is great right now but there are lots of bears. The berries are plump from the rain this summer.

Forecast (use the folloowing for the weather forecast:
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html)

Tonight

3C

Sun 10C
    40%

Mon 14C
    4C
    30%

Tue 13C
    3C
    40%

Wed 16C
    5C

Thu 18C
    5C

Fri 18C
    4C

Issued : 8:12 PM MDT Saturday 28 August 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the links and all the help!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    Thanks for the links and all the help!

Rainy and cold...but the trails are surprisingly dry...

Bring gear for snow.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    96 degrees here in the mitten state today, snow is not my vocabulary right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    96 degrees here in the mitten state today, snow is not my vocabulary right now.
    92 here in Toronto right now with a humidex of about a 100. I'm heading out that way next week so I better remember to pack more than just shorts and tees...or could be in for a shock!
    Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by h.eye
    92 here in Toronto right now with a humidex of about a 100. I'm heading out that way next week so I better remember to pack more than just shorts and tees...or could be in for a shock!

You never know....

3 C last night with a frost warning in Calgary.

Snow at 1700 m lots of trails that high.

Then again it could be 30 C.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Okay, it's official. In the 20 years that I have lived in Calgary, this has been, without question, the worst (coldest & wettest) summer that I can remember. After last year's crappy summer, I was expecting the pendulum to swing the other way, but noooooooo!!! Might as well start planning for ski season.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

ups and downs
    It was a shock to the system to have it be 5C in the morning on July 17. I see that the overnight lows are forecast to be around 0C this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-canmore-5c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It was a shock to the system to have it be 5C in the morning on July 17. I see that the overnight lows are forecast to be around 0C this week.
    32C with a humidex of 39 and a low of 22 tonight here in Toronto. I sure hope to bring a little of this when I head out there next week. We had extremely crappy (well below average and wet) weather out here for the last few summers too so I can relate and sympathize.

We travel out to Alberta every year and regardless of the time of year we usually pack everything from shorts and sandals to parkas and toques.
    Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well it will help me get ready for cyclocross season I guess, just a pain trying to figure out how to pack.
    Last edited by mtb_Frk; 09-12-2010 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just got back home today. What a beautiful area, we did a lot of hiking and a little bit of biking. Would of liked to ride more, but we got to see a lot of amazing sites.

mtbr member
    I got in a ride from the Nordic Centre to Banff Falls as an out and back back in July--about 37 km of gnar single track. Was great fun! Except I managed to bend a chain link on the first rugged descent near the KCountry-Banff National Park boundary and then put another 30k on it, thus destroying my sprocket teeth. At the time I didn't see the nature of my issue, all I knew was my chain kept falling off every so often under a load--a real pain! So my hard tail now has a new drive train.

mtbr member
    yea I am going to Canmore in 2011 that or jasper or kananasis, Camping and want to do some great riding with amazing views and track. Is it better to rent or just bring your oun bike, just got a trek fuel ex7 and my son has a kona stuff freeride bike? is it all downhill and are there lifts to get up and down or do you have to ride up. How is the ride from canmore to Banff on the trail..didnt even know they had one till i read here...any and all feed back would help.

cheers

ups and downs
    The Nordic Centre area is all XC MTB trails as it's a XC ski facility, no lifts, all pedal.

The trails outside of the Nordic Centre offer a wide range of riding and views and singletrack, many of the trails have been part of the TransRockies, no lifts in the area though, there might be some shuttle for some of the freeride trails in the area.

The Canmore - Banff Trail is all XC, the riverside trail is all singletrack up and down, the other route is the long ride up the road and a long fire road DH into Banff.

For lift accessed DH riding, the other side of the mountains would be your destination, like Silverstar in Vernon.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipem
    yea I am going to Canmore in 2011 that or jasper or kananasis, Camping and want to do some great riding with amazing views and track. Is it better to rent or just bring your oun bike, just got a trek fuel ex7 and my son has a kona stuff freeride bike? is it all downhill and are there lifts to get up and down or do you have to ride up. How is the ride from canmore to Banff on the trail..didnt even know they had one till i read here...any and all feed back would help.

cheers
    My first question is, when you say you're going to be camping do you mean R.V. camping or back packing? If you have an RV then you may as well lug your own bike along for convenience and cost saving (although it's easy enough to rent a bike at Rebound in Canmore or Trail Sports at the nordic centre. Also, you would be better off camping at one or more of the RV camping areas in Kananaskis, where most of the best riding is. Canmore has some great, convenient XC riding at the Nordic Centre, but after a day or two of that you'll definitely want to spread your wings, so you may as well camp closer to the trails rather than have to drive 30-60 minutes.

Regarding the ride between Banff and Canmore, the new Legacy trail is a paved bike path that parallels the Trans Canada Highway. It's a commuter trail and probably not much interest to you unless you're taking a family ride to Banff to look around. A much more interesting ride is the Goat Creek Trail into Banff (you climb a switch back dusty gravel road past the Nordic Centre to reach the trail head), then you have three options coming back. You can reverse your ride on the Goat Creek Trail (gradual elevation gain all the way back), time-trial back to Canmore on the paved Legacy Trail, or take the single track Rundle Riverside Trail that connects to the Banff Springs Golf Course and runs parallel to the highway and connects to the Nordic Centre. If you want to avoid the dusty grunt up the gravel road between Canmore and the Goat Creek trail head, simply reverse the ride, which makes the Goat Creek segment a long gradual climb (but not difficult).

If your son has a freeride bike, there's a terrain park at the nordic centre.

There is no lift serviced downhill riding at any of the nearby ski resorts. If you're looking for that, the closest is at Canada Olympic Park on the west side of Calgary (about a 500 ft vertical) or drive two hours further west from Canmore to Panorama. Both of these places have well developed terrain and features, and are part of the Kona Certified group.

Regarding camping, if you want to look at Kananaskis Country (30-45 mins from Canmore, depending on the site) then check out this link. You can research the area and campsites, as well as place an online reservation for a site. If you ever saw the movie R.V. with Robin Williams, it was filmed in Kananaskis Country, and the lake his R.V. rolled into was Upper Kananaskis Lake. The campground that will probably give you the best access to the greatest choice of rides is the Little Elbow campground. From there you can ride out your door onto the Elbow Loop, which is a beautiful 43 km long (non-technical) ride with incredible scenery that's about 70% fire road and 30% single/double track. It's a great family ride, with a couple thousand feet of climbing. A little further east from there is wide variety of trails of varying degrees of difficulty. You can't go wrong in this area.

My second recommendation is to order the book Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies, by Doug Eastcott. It's regarded as the 'Bible' of mountain biking in these parts. You can find it from the publisher here or find it at Amazon here. The link I provided above to the Elbow Loop trail will also allow you to preview much of the material in the book (but doesn't contain the maps), but nothing beats having a hard copy.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BrentP; 01-09-2011 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    My first question is, when you say you're going to be camping do you mean R.V. camping or back packing? If you have an RV then you may as well lug your own bike along for convenience and cost saving (although it's easy enough to rent a bike at Rebound in Canmore or Trail Sports at the nordic centre. Also, you would be better off camping at one or more of the RV camping areas in Kananaskis, where most of the best riding is. Canmore has some great, convenient XC riding at the Nordic Centre, but after a day or two of that you'll definitely want to spread your wings, so you may as well camp closer to the trails rather than have to drive 30-60 minutes.

Regarding the ride between Banff and Canmore, the new Legacy trail is a paved bike path that parallels the Trans Canada Highway. It's a commuter trail and probably not much interest to you unless you're taking a family ride to Banff to look around. A much more interesting ride is the Goat Creek Trail into Banff (you climb a switch back dusty gravel road past the Nordic Centre to reach the trail head), then you have three options coming back. You can reverse your ride on the Goat Creek Trail (gradual elevation gain all the way back), time-trial back to Canmore on the paved Legacy Trail, or take the single track Rundle Riverside Trail that connects to the Banff Springs Golf Course and runs parallel to the highway and connects to the Nordic Centre. If you want to avoid the dusty grunt up the gravel road between Canmore and the Goat Creek trail head, simply reverse the ride, which makes the Goat Creek segment a long gradual climb (but not difficult).

If you're son has a freeride bike, there's a terrain park at the nordic centre.

There is no lift serviced downhill riding at any of the nearby ski resorts. If you're looking for that, the closest is at Canada Olympic Park on the west side of Calgary (about a 500 ft vertical) or drive two hours further west from Canmore to Panorama. Both of these places have well developed terrain and features, and are part of the Kona Certified group.

Regarding camping, if you want to look at Kananaskis Country (30-45 mins from Canmore, depending on the site) then check out this link. You can research the area and campsites, as well as place an online reservation for a site. If you ever saw the movie R.V. with Robin Williams, it was filmed in Kananaskis Country, and the lake his R.V. rolled into was Upper Kananaskis Lake. The campground that will probably give you the best access to the greatest choice of rides is the Little Elbow campground. From there you can ride out your door onto the Elbow Loop, which is a beautiful 43 km long (non-technical) ride with incredible scenery that's about 70% fire road and 30% single/double track. It's a great family ride, with a couple thousand feet of climbing. A little further east from there is wide variety of trails of varying degrees of difficulty. You can't go wrong in this area.

My second recommendation is to order the book Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies, by Doug Eastcott. It's regarded as the 'Bible' of mountain biking in these parts. You can find it from the publisher here or find it at Amazon here. The link I provided above to the Elbow Loop trail will also allow you to preview much of the material in the book (but doesn't contain the maps), but nothing beats having a hard copy.

Hope this helps.

Wow I just joined this forum site and your guys are awesome thanks for the info Brent and everyone! I was actually thinking of going tent camping and I have a full box Sierra so lots of room to bring my new Trek and my sons Kona that he also got this year used 2 years, so of course we wanna get some great riding using out new bikes and the truck has room for all the camping gear also, Just asked about the lift because we didnt want to get beat climbing all day for 5 min of downhill, now we can ride but dont bomb down the hills with crown forks smokin huge rocks or roots.Man I cant wait

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    You can tent camp, as well, at any of the afore mentioned sites in Kananaskis, and moving around between campgrounds every couple of days for a new perspective might be fun. Where abouts are you from Snipem?

Here's a thread about the Elbow Loop with some great pics that show the variety of riding you will encounter on that one. It's one of the classic rides in the region, and a good way to get your feet wet prior to hitting any of the more difficult rides.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...76259#poststop

mtbr member
    Ok thoes pics are so sick why does it have to be Jan 9th full of snow and -24 with the wind chill out now when I wanna Ride!! haha Im from Winnipeg and moved out to Brandon 2 years ago liking and enjoying the Brandon Hills and Riding Mt park for my biking fixes. do you live in the kananaskis area? I was out in Banff about 6 years back and climbed and road down Mt Norquay on a hardtail of all things haha it was awesome!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    I'm in Calgary, so biking in K-Country is only 30 minutes away... and I never take it for granted, like many people here do.

I'm an ex-Winnipeger, too (moved out here in '91). I was the founder of the Manitoba Masters Ski Series and Ski Club there, over 25 years ago.

ups and downs
    And the Canadian Nationals are being held in Canmore again this year, July 16/17. Two years in a row, nifty. I think I make another pilgrimage to Canmore this summer for some riding and cheering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Personally, if I was camping in K-Country, I'd camp at Paddy's Flats. The Moose Mountain Road is right across the highway. From there, you can do shuttle rides on some fantastic technical trails like TW and Jean Guy, or you can ride up Pnuema to access Race of Spades or Moose Packers. A great ride is to head up Pnuema, down Moose Packers, and finish with the new Ridgeback trail. Another nice ride from that area is the long loop on Powderface / Prairie creek. And please do that one Clockwise. It's way better that way.

As for other fun trails in the area - Jumping Pound / Cox Hill or down highway 40 you have Baldy Pass, Prairie View / Jewell with the new Razor's Edge trail. And lastly, if I was near Banff, I'd ride Upper and Lower Stoney Squaw. Both JP/Cox and Baldy Pass have fantastic views. The climbs can be a bit of a grunt.

Les

mtbr member
    Sounds like I have lots of places to look into and a few great options, its really awesome hearing from you guys who have been there or live in the area and been on the trails or know of the camp ground... nothing worse that going on a week or so trip and waisting time trying to figure all this stuff out with a million decisions and all I wanna do is set up camp in a nice spot and get some sick riding in, also would like to go rafting, sit in the hot springs, maybe fishing and even ziplining if thats even a possible.

Also what time of year would you say would be good for all the activities,and how is the wild life our there for concerns about bears or annoying swarms of bugs while riding.

ups and downs
    There have been bear attacks near Canmore, but thankfully they are still rare. Read up on Bear Awareness tactics and pay attention to the trail closures due to bear sightings. And it would be worthwhile to be able to recognize the difference between black bears and grizzlies.

It can still be wet, snowy or cold in Canmore in June, it's always weather roulette anywhere near the mountains. More than a few times the Trans Rockies racers have been snowed on in July.There has been snowfall recorded in Calgary every month of the year at one time or another. July and August should be nice, although it was 5C in the morning last summer, and that was mid-July, it warmed up quickly when the sun came up and was in the high 20's or low 30's during the day.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipem
    Also what time of year would you say would be good for all the activities,and how is the wild life our there for concerns about bears or annoying swarms of bugs while riding.
    August is best, July second best. Avoid June, as it's rainy season.

Compared to Manitoba, bugs here are non-existent. Also, I've had ten times as many bear encounters in five years of biking and hiking in Manitoba as I have had in 20 years here. I've only had one bear encounter here, in Canmore at the 24 Hours of Adrenaline three years ago, and it simply stood there in the middle of the trail and watched the riders pile up until it got bored and meandered away.

mtbr member
    Rerally thats crazy! Dam bears, ok so maybe then I will go around end of July to first week in Aug.. the bugs in manitoba are so bad just swarms in the face mmmm who needs to stop for lunch.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipem View Post
    Rerally thats crazy! Dam bears, ok so maybe then I will go around end of July to first week in Aug.. the bugs in manitoba are so bad just swarms in the face mmmm who needs to stop for lunch.
    Are you still planning on coming out, Snipem? We had prolonged snow in the mountains this spring, but it's finally shaping up for good riding and we've had some hot weather recently that is helping to dry things out.

mtbr member
    Actually I am all set up for the week of Aug 1 till like the 8th its gonna be sick, we are gonna do the caves and a heli tour and whitewater raftin on the kicking horse river, and of course some sick biking at the nortic center, and a trip to Banff via the goat trail.

I thought I would wait and come out in aug as we have been wet here in Brandon but today was crazy hot +36 and + 48 with the humidex WOW!

ups and downs
    Some photos of the Canmore Nordic Centre trails from last weekend...

The trails were in great shape, but there's as little oxygen in that 1480m high air as there was a year ago. A challenge if you're adjusted to living nearer sea level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-004.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-006.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-007.jpg  

Upcoming Canmore Vacation - rental and trail suggestions-015.jpg  

mtbr member
    So meaning I will be sweating and getting my but kicked more because of the altiutude. |The pics look great and its not all wild and overgrown like alot of the trails here in manitoba this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I should be heading out to Canmore to visit family sometime in August. I am liking the looks of these trails!

mtbr member
    Driving out this weekend and staying from the 30th till the 10th!!! in canmore and the area. Gonna get in lots of riding some rafting the canmore caverns a heli some mt paintballing, check out the hot springs and just do a lot of chillin !!! WHoo Hooo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Snipem,

heres two short videos from this year. One by Banff and one it Kananakis County........... just to give you an idea of the rides..........

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QMUpM5QbdQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8ejPjR0h5YM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have fun!
    Pingu

mtbr member
    I think I smiled the whole way down, I really like the second one, looks like a fun ride down but how do you get to the top to start with and after the ride at the bottom do you ride up?

ups and downs
    Powderface Ridge is a tough climb up some serious switchbacks from the trailhead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Most (sane) people descend that side

ups and downs
    What has sanity got to do with mountain biking?

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipem View Post
    Actually I am all set up for the week of Aug 1 till like the 8th its gonna be sick, we are gonna do the caves and a heli tour and whitewater raftin on the kicking horse river, and of course some sick biking at the nortic center, and a trip to Banff via the goat trail.

I thought I would wait and come out in aug as we have been wet here in Brandon but today was crazy hot +36 and + 48 with the humidex WOW!
    So, how'd your trip go Snipem? Are you wanting to relocate from Brandon?

Members who have read this thread: 0