University of Victoria- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

University of Victoria

I am considering studying there, so any insight on it would be appreciated.
    How's the area for cycling/living?
    How's the university?
    Anything really.

I still have a year to decide, but I want to know more about my options.

Thanks in advance.

ups and downs
    Victoria is the seat of the provincial government, so that and tourists are the main biz. UVic has a problem with wild rabbits on the scale of Australia's rabbit problem. Cycling is a popular activity because the weather is usually even milder than Vancouver's and they get less rain and more days of sun. There are a lot of elderly people there which makes riding on the road excessively exciting.

There is some nearby XC riding at Hartland and Victoria is connected to the rest of Vancouver Island which has lots of riding oportunities.

http://www.simbs.com/html/Where2Ride/wer2ride.htm

http://www.mountwashington.ca/

http://www.island.net/~pmcgarri/Nanaimo.pdf

http://www.nanaimomountainbikeclub.com/index.html
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    There's also a lot of old bike riders on the road, so that makes driving exiting at times too.

There's a small pump track at the dog park next to UVic too, but you're riding ~20 min to get
    to Hartland which has some real fun AM type trails, a few steeps and a couple drops to keep
    the DH bike from going into withdraws.

~45-55 min gets you to Harbouview and Broomhill, which has some steep ass climbs and steep
    ass descents and if you know where to look some drops and jumps that'll make you pucker.

~1hr the other way gets you to Prevost (which is closed right now because it's so dry), which
    has some real fun shuttles with a mix of tight single track, fast double track and some real
    fun steep DH.

I'm sure there's more than that, but that's what I've found in the last 7 months of living here.

Edit: check out www.vimb.com for a more local scene.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The Dump at Hartland is ok but limited. Everything else is a drive or long pedal. Decent trails in Sooke. Road riding is great if you're into bib shorts and all that stuff. Frankly the mtb in Victoria is about the worse of any smaller mid-size Canadian city in the west coast.

but the chicas are the hawt and the UVIc Coop program is good, there's surf close by and the potential for slacking off unlimited.

Don't go there for the riding tho
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    The dump may be small, but it's a hell of a lot better than riding your bike up and down Dallas road all semester. There is enough riding at the dump (Hartland) to keep you entertained, remember Lee's idea of a "short" ride is like 10 hours with your bike over your
    shoulder and a machete in the other as you hack your way through brush...or so I've heard.

It may not be the North Shore, but there is a lot of riding within 1 hr from UVic and N Van is
    only a short ferry ride away, and Whistler another 45 min after that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The dump is fun but limited, its still good riding though.

Cumberland is a bit of a drive from Vic but the trails are worth it, top notch trail network they have going there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    how's the racing scene there?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    how's the racing scene there?
    LOL....but seriously, what scene.

To be fair, there is the Island cup and it's got 5-6 races DH all over the island, and there's a
    few more XC races too. I think if you want to race, marry someone who works or get a job
    with BCferries and do a lot of road trips to the mainland.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    LOL....but seriously, what scene.

To be fair, there is the Island cup and it's got 5-6 races DH all over the island, and there's a
    few more XC races too. I think if you want to race, marry someone who works or get a job
    with BCferries and do a lot of road trips to the mainland.

Uvic is a great place for a student/bike racer.

There is a ton of really good riding, you just have to be a local to find it.

Both the mountain biking and road riding is really good.

For XC racing the island is one of the best places in BC. The island cup is an excellent little series with lots of fun technical courses.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Uvic is a great place for a student/bike racer.

There is a ton of really good riding, you just have to be a local to find it.

Both the mountain biking and road riding is really good.

For XC racing the island is one of the best places in BC. The island cup is an excellent little series with lots of fun technical courses.

I guess, XC just doesn't come up on my radar. I hear "X" and by the "C" and I'm thinking about
    toast...Mmmm toast.

The push up Harbowview is about as much XC as I do. Maybe when I come to the realization
    I'm old I might start to get exited about cleaning an uphill section, till then I refuse to act
    my age.

I guess the first question to ask the OP is what kind of riding does he/she do...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    I guess, XC just doesn't come up on my radar. I hear "X" and by the "C" and I'm thinking about
    toast...Mmmm toast.

The push up Harbowview is about as much XC as I do. Maybe when I come to the realization
    I'm old I might start to get exited about cleaning an uphill section, till then I refuse to act
    my age.

I guess the first question to ask the OP is what kind of riding does he/she do...
    Too bad because the XC riding is really good.

Bubble wrap, John and Tods trails, Partrich hills they are wicked. If you restrict your riding to dump then you are missing out on the good stuff.

The riding there is good enough that I am going to skip riding the Shore on monday to ride in Vic.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Too bad because the XC riding is really good.

Bubble wrap, John and Tods trails, Partrich hills they are wicked. If you restrict your riding to dump then you are missing out on the good stuff.

The riding there is good enough that I am going to skip riding the Shore on monday to ride in Vic.

I look you up in ten years when I'm 55, till then I have big dreams for Sooke.

Members who have read this thread: 0