Two days in Squamish/Whistler, what to ride?- Mtbr.com
    The Mud Stud

Two days in Squamish/Whistler, what to ride?

So I've got two days in Squamish and Whistler area and would like to know what is recommend to ride? I'm taking my Santa Cruz 5010 with me and last year was able to ride a good bit of Lost lake (not including comfortably numb) and rainbow mountain. I'm not really interested in renting a bike. Most of the trails I'm used to are Midwest xc/trail technical trails and I found the black diamond of Whistler doable but enjoyably challenging. I've never ridden Squamish. What should I do with two days? Thanks!

ups and downs
    If you're only spending one day in Squamish then you might as well focus on Garibaldi Highlands, where you can do loops on various trails until your legs fall off. There are a bunch of climbing trails that take you back up to various points to pickup all of the popular descending trails: Full Nelson, Half Nelson, Plum Smugglers, Word of Mouth, Your Mom, Hoods in the Woods, Skookum, PowerSmart Pseudo-Tsuga, Galactic and Plastic Scheisse. etc.

If you find the blue trails a bit low on excitement, Alice Lake has a nest of shorter Black Diamond trails including Squamish classics like Credit Line, Crouching Squirrel Hidden Monkey, and Entrails
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    In Squamish I would recommend Alice lake and trails like rockyuphill posted and Rupert, Room With a View. Actually everything on Alice lake is great. But I think HUESO is more like double diamond...

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    If you're only spending one day in Squamish then you might as well focus on Garibaldi Highlands, where you can do loops on various trails until your legs fall off. There are a bunch of climbing trails that take you back up to various points to pickup all of the popular descending trails: Full Nelson, Half Nelson, Plum Smugglers, Word of Mouth, Your Mom, Hoods in the Woods, Skookum, PowerSmart Pseudo-Tsuga, Galactic and Plastic Scheisse. etc.

If you find the blue trails a bit low on excitement, Alice Lake has a nest of shorter Black Diamond trails including Squamish classics like Credit Line, Crouching Squirrel Hidden Monkey, and Entrails
    Honestly, I'm able to do both days in Squamish if it's worth my time. Either that, or I can go to Whistler and do top of the world-Khyber pass (which I'm honestly a bit scared of on my low travel bike). I've never ridden squamish, but I spent a bunch of time in whistler last year, and from what I hear the singletrack in squamish is better? So I'm not sure what I'd be better served by. I love a good view of course, and an epic ride, but I prefer to be riding something fun than walking my bike down double black I can't properly ride.

mtbr member
    new Sproatt mtn loop in Whistler
    http://www.worca.com/trail-work-update-4-august-2017/

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    new Sproatt mtn loop in Whistler
    Trail Work Update: 4 August 2017 - Whistler Off Road Cycling Association

I see a TON of trails in that loop on trail forks. Is there any direction or section in particular I should ride, and why over other trails in the area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    I see a TON of trails in that loop on trail forks. Is there any direction or section in particular I should ride, and why over other trails in the area?
    Up into the mystic, down lord of the squirrels, can add out n back on 'happy hour' to check out the summit of Sproatt mountain. This loop is new, and was a big deal to get done for the community, first alpine loop, stands out from other trails as its long, has great views, is super fun without being gnarly and awkward like everything else in Whistler, and it's pretty sweet to ride to the top of a mountain. I think once a lot of photos, videos, articles etc come from it, it'll be high on everyone's radar.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Up into the mystic, down lord of the squirrels, can add out n back on 'happy hour' to check out the summit of Sproatt mountain. This loop is new, and was a big deal to get done for the community, first alpine loop, stands out from other trails as its long, has great views, is super fun without being gnarly and awkward like everything else in Whistler, and it's pretty sweet to ride to the top of a mountain. I think once a lot of photos, videos, articles etc come from it, it'll be high on everyone's radar.

That honestly sounds pretty fantastic. How long does that usually take to complete on average? Do I need any cold weather gear going up there or should I be fine?

mtbr member
    That honestly sounds pretty fantastic. How long does that usually take to complete on average? Do I need any cold weather gear going up there or should I be fine?
    It takes all day, last year I had the chance to ride it before it was all complete and went up the descent trail and happy hour and back down it was probably 6 hours or so, cougar encounter included

mtbr member

I rode it today. From Rainbow park. So up Whip me Snip me to Flank trail. Flank across to Up into the Mystic. Across On the Rocks to Lord of the Squirrels. Didn't do Happy hour. There was a bit of pushing through snow at the end of On the Rocks. Didn't look like many people had made their way on Happy hour and with the smoke, it wasn't like there were stellar views. After we descended LordofSquirrels. Came down Legalize it (tough black diamond), across Lower Flank and I finished on danimal. Went for a swim after. My wife and I were steady, but granny the entire way up. Few stops to eat, few to take pictures. 4:25 moving, 5:22 elapsed time.

Riding in the alpine is incredible. It gives me tingly feelings. So worth it, just remember that when you are busting your hump up Into the Mystic.

Another ride in Squamish, I don't think was mentioned, in Alice lake is 50 Shades/Another 50 up. Down Leave of Absence, which is a new trail that is blue (with black options). If you like that, you can circle back and do Rupert which is a black, with blue go arounds. Both incredibly fun and you can dial in the features as you wish. If that was rocking, swing over to man boobs after (rupert or leave), then work your way back Credit line and out. I think that is a great confident intermediate ride in Alice lake.
    Straight outta Rossland

The Mud Stud
    Anyone interested in being a trail guide on Sunday up the Sproatt mtn loop haha?

Also, what are general opinions of Sproatt Loop vs Comfortably Numb? I plan to do Alice Lake area the second day of riding, so if Sproatt Loop is worth it that's where I'll be Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For Squamish, pop into Tantalus bike shop for trail suggestions. They never steered us wrong. Sounds like you like technical so I would concur with Rupert side. The Nelsons are always mentioned, but they are super buff flow trails. Fun but if you love the more technical challenges try the other trails. I find Squamish to be nicer singletrack, it's less rocky than Whistler. Whistler is good too though, Lost Lakes is more something to do on easy and/or shakedown days for us. Try to get away from those for more serious rides. I remember Korova, WIzard burial ground and others for some technical challenges. We always set aside a day for Top of The WOrld to Khyber. Stelar views and a pretty epic ride. Highly recommend not doing it solo though.