• 07-25-2006
    cgdeca
    Trails Wanted, in okanagen valley
    Hi Guys i am brand new to the forums and pretty brand new to xc mountain riding, ive hit a few trails in calgary so far and am planning a trip to the okanagen valley, specifically osoyoos rock creek and kettle valey, im just wondering if anyone knows of any good trails to ride in these areas, kettle valley especill as i will be spending most time there. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. Chris
  • 07-25-2006
    telebiker
    Depends what kind of riding....
    .... you want to do.

The KVR from Rock Creek to Beaverdall has some scenic railgrade riding. Nothing technical with some hidden swimming holes along the way. Also a very nice ride dropping down from Chute Lake to Penticton. Unfortunately the well known section of the KVR through Myra Canyon awaits restoration after a devestating fire which destroyed half the trestles a few years ago. Any locals have any updated info on the rebuild efforts?

Three Blind Mice above Naramata offers good climbing and a mildly technical singletrack ride along the ridge above the eastern shore of Lake Okanagan. Again, very scenic and worth the climb.The KVR from Penticton to Summerland is worthwhile but can be sandy and sapping on a hot day. Last summer, I met a group of German cyclsts with bikes fully loaded with touring gear bogged down on the sandy trail. They were not happy, especially since they were forced to ride the road from Rock Creek to Penticton to get around the closed Myra Canyon section. They missed what is arguably the best section of the KVR.

Drop in at BikeBarn in Penticton for more trail info.