trail reports!!!!- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

trail reports!!!!

c'mon guys, get those trail reports out!! i'm especially interested in lake minnewanka and in the baldy mtn area (jumpingpound is covered in snow, what about skogan pass?)

for the record, as of may 7 the sibbald creek area (jumpingpound loop, old buck loop) are in flawless condition. low elevation moose mtn. (powderface - prairie link - sulphur springs - diamond loop) is muddy in spots but mostly great. all higher elevations are reported with some fresh snow, no ridge rides or high alpine quite yet. the moose fire road opens next week (may 15).

bowmont is in perfect shape for those calgary riders, as is the nose hill. haven't been to fish creek as of yet, and remember COP opens may 12!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Formerly DMR For Life
    the trails along the river in bowmont are permantently closed due to erosion and stability concerns
    see here
    http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ng/Pathway.htm

DMR

mtbr member
    Pinkbike has got a fairly active conditions report for the Rockies :
    http://vpfree.pinkbike.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=4

As for myself, I'm still enjoying the backcountry skiing on the west side of the Smith/Dorian. Went up to Burstall Pass on Sunday... almost 2m of snow.

mtbr member

Trail report

Fishcreek - rode it last week, will today as well - it's great, way better than expected. Most of the damage occured on the north side of the creek. The south side (forest singletrack) is great. Another plus is that there are very few people. We had a blast! Gonna ride it today with the Pedalheads, be back tomorrow. Anyone interested in a fun group ride - we're meeting tonight at 6.30 in front of the store - Pedalhead.
    #202 Bonavista Square, 12100 MacLeod Trail South
    Calgary, Alberta
    (403) 261-1921

Last week there were 8 of us, and it was the big game night and 8 degrees outside. I expect more people tonight. They got up to 40 people on group rides. It's fun!

Lake Minnewanka - PERFECT! I haven't seen it so nice. Not a patch of mud, trail is excellent. The scree is a bit rougher - but hey, that's why we buy $4000 FS bikes. Lots of bikers on the trail. Seemed to me that it was a 5:1 ratio of bikers to hikers.

I'll have more after the weekend...
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    the trails along the river in bowmont are permantently closed due to erosion and stability concerns
    see here
    http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ng/Pathway.htm

DMR
    link is broke

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    link is broke
    they updated the site it apears that they removed that closure

heres the updated link
    http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....nd+Detours.htm

DMR

mtbr member

Fishcreek

Rode Fishcreek again last night.

Great conditions. Looots of people.
    You couldn't throw a stick without hitting someone on a bike.

Lots of fun though.

Anybody rode Prairie View yet?
    Anyone?
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    Rode Fishcreek again last night.

Great conditions. Looots of people.
    You couldn't throw a stick without hitting someone on a bike.

Lots of fun though.

Anybody rode Prairie View yet?
    Anyone?
    No, but I'm thinking this Sunday...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rode Sulphur Springs yesterday (May 10) to the Moose Mtn access road and there was only a couple of small muddy patches.

conjoinicorned

hey ronny

ronny, that was probably satans little fluffers that you rode.

we are starting to ride some good trails on the weekends, if you ever want to hit a ride up give me a pm, we can set something up!

have you got a new bike? kerry has been enjoying the preston...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    they updated the site it apears that they removed that closure

heres the updated link
    http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....nd+Detours.htm

DMR
    Yeah, I just rode Bowmont/Sideshow Bob this morning and nothing was blocked off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I got a Turner 6 Pack in April that I am getting used to. I will be into some rides sometime. I work up North, but am usually home for around 10-12 days a month. I am home for another week...I hope.

Good to hear Kerry is liking the Preston.

conjoinicorned
    may 12: minnewanka is in freaking amazing shape. can't proceed past the ranger station towards devils gap unless you feel like carrying your bike over all the fallen logs.

FSRXC: did you ride prarie view? how was it? looking to do jewell pass/prarie view this weekend (20th).

anyone summit baldy yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    may 12: minnewanka is in freaking amazing shape. can't proceed past the ranger station towards devils gap unless you feel like carrying your bike over all the fallen logs.

FSRXC: did you ride prarie view? how was it? looking to do jewell pass/prarie view this weekend (20th).

anyone summit baldy yet?
    No, couldn't find a riding partner, and with all the bear activity I chickened out on the solo ride (rode Sideshow instead). I hear it's a bit muddy near the Jewell pass junction, which isn't unusual, so should be rideable otherwise (assuming weather is clear till then).

On Pinkbike some folks mentioned this Sunday a cougar took down a deer next to the trail, so rangers closed off part of the trail to give it some room.

mtbr member
    hey I rode powderface/prarielink on monday and it was it realy good. I was givener and did it in 1hr 10mins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    hey I rode powderface/prarielink on monday and it was it realy good. I was givener and did it in 1hr 10mins.
    How is the creek crossing where the bridge used to be? (Prairie link just before the junction with Prairie creek trail)

mtbr member
    ...wet.

(sorry man, it was just hanging there for the taking...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    How is the creek crossing where the bridge used to be? (Prairie link just before the junction with Prairie creek trail)
    its not bad, not to deep but pretty cold. you can ride through it with no problem

conjoinicorned

jewell/prarieview

alright, finally found the time to to the jewell/prarieview loop (from heart creek to barrier and back).

the trail is in fine shape, the jewell pass downhill is nothing but fun right now. there is snow, but not on the trails. lots of hikers and bikers. a mostly sweet trail, although the climb out of heart creek to the pass is a killer...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i did telephone trail yesterday. it's hard to tell with this trail, since i don't think i have ever done it without coating myself and bike in mud no matter what time of year - so considering that, it is in good shape. for the most part it is dry, aside from the usual boggy parts.

edit: and by the way, all of those puddles can be ridden through no problem, or at least a quick wheelie over will do the trick. that trail gets so widened, it's crazy

also, on friday i did half of sulphur then over the highway to riverview (i think that's the name - the one that goes into paddy flats). Riverview is in awesome condition - I love that trail

Members who have read this thread: 0