Trail recommendations near Bear Mountain Resort, Victoria?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail recommendations near Bear Mountain Resort, Victoria?

I'm going to be staying at Bear Mountain resort in Victoria next week, I'm looking for two types of trail recommendations - (1) easy trails to ride with small kids (aged 6 and 8 ), and (2) more rugged AM/XC rides close by if I can manage to break away by myself for a few hours.

I know there's a small trail network and bike park right there at the resort, but was wondering what other options there are nearby.

Also, as far as bike rentals, Oak Bay Bikes looks like a good bet, any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    Obb is your best/pretty much only bet. I don't know anything about the new stuff at bear mountain as I have moved away since all that stuff went in. Though I am really happy stuff is happening there because there used to be trails that were all destroyed for the golf course and resort, now the developers are giving back 10+ years later.

Otherwise;
    For option 1 depends what your kids are like.. Hartland/Mt work bike park is a really big network with lots of options for anything so hard to go wrong there, can stay along the green paths and do an out and back under the power lines then some of the easier trails along the bottom.
    Or ride around thetis Lake and jump in.
    There's also the galloping goose trail if you want to do something paved.
    Checking out the saanich freeride Park near the airport+ferry would be fun, pump tracks and all sizes of dirt jumps there.
    For option 2;
    My number 1 pick would be to do maple syrup at maple mtn in Duncan. Like 45 minute drive and 2 hours ish ride (totally depends on you) so you'd need like half a day free. Tzouhalem in Duncan is also good. Doing the harder trails at hartland would be your best bet for something close; green ribbon jelly roll-lumpy pants who's yer daddy twister snakes n ladders rock bottom are some of the good ones off the top of my head (you always link a ton of different trails there so names are hard to remember). Torpedo run is the one wide berms+table top trail if you're in to that.

mtbr member
    Great tips, thanks, I appreciate it!

Haven't had a chance to hit the trails yet, but Bear Mountain Resort is not too shabby so far, the resort fee includes a free 2hr. mountain bike rental per day, and despite being a fancy Westin place, there is a Rocky Mountain hardtail hanging from the ceiling in the lobby.