Trail access in Calgary- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Trail access in Calgary

I'm spending 6 weeks in Calgary this summer for school and I am debating bringing my mountain bike. The trail network in Edmonton allows you to drop in from most places in the city, and I was wondering if it works like that in Calgary.

I'll be downtown most days. Is there enough singletrack close by (within biking distance) to make bringing my mtb worthwhile? I won't have a car to shuttle my bike around.

Thanks in advance!

ups and downs
    The Bow River Bike Pathway connects much of the city from NW to SE and runs right through downtown. You can get to the Nose Creek pathway from there and ride all the way north to Nose Hill, and the Bow River Pathway will take you all the way south to Fish Creek. You'll need to explore to find the real dirt singletrack but it would be accessible from the bike paths.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You can also take your bike on the c-train from downtown to the Tuscany station in the Northwest, and from there it is a 5 minute bike ride on paved pathways to the top of Twelve Mile Coulee and then the Bow River trail network in Baker and Bowmont Parks. If you do those trails, you are about a third or more of the way back downstream to downtown, and you can take a leisurely ride back along the scenic Bow River Pathway.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    The first question needs to be, where will you be living (not sure if you meant you'll be working or living downtown, or both)? That will dictate which trails you have easiest access to because there are a number of options in Calgary that are located in completely different quadrants of the city.
    Last edited by BrentP; 04-13-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adrich View Post
    I'm spending 6 weeks in Calgary this summer for school and I am debating bringing my mountain bike. The trail network in Edmonton allows you to drop in from most places in the city, and I was wondering if it works like that in Calgary.

I'll be downtown most days. Is there enough singletrack close by (within biking distance) to make bringing my mtb worthwhile? I won't have a car to shuttle my bike around.

Thanks in advance!
    Nosehill is a 20 minute ride from downtown and a pretty good climb as well