Top of the World and new Creekside Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Top of the World and new Creekside Trails

Hi All!

We will be in Whistler beginning of August and are planning to do lots of biking. We spend a lot of time biking in the mountains in Jasper so are definitely more cross country riders than park riders although we may ride park one day.

We are really thinking about riding TOTW (near the end of the week after we have had a chance to gauge our skills to Whistler trails) and I am wondering about coming down on the new blue trails in Creekside. I don't see them listed on Trailforks. Am I blind or are they just too new? How are the trails skills wise? We are great with natural features, roots, rocks, small drops, but find bridges, skinnies and jumps very intimidating. Also, if you bought the one up pass to TOTW and came down Creekside, how would you get back to the main village? If coming down Creekside way doesn't work out, what other trails (without jumps and wooden features) would you recommend? They don't need to stay in the park, but it would be nice if they came out close to the main village or if there was a way to get back there easily.

I have a Liv Lust and my husband has a Norco Fluid 7.2+. Will these bikes be ok for TOTW and the rest of the descent? If we do decide to ride park one day, we would likely rent DH bikes. I have a full face helmet and some padding, but my husband does not. How necessary are these items for TOTW?

Any else I should think of?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Creekside to the main village is like 15 minutes on road/bike path riding a trail bike, maybe less, so no matter what you aren't that far if you stay on bike park trails.

The new creekside trails are kinda in complete as of now, don't know if they'll be on trailforks soon or what but the new bike park trail map has them. South park and mid guard aren't ready but once finished a lap of south park to earth circus is pretty easy with basically no features.

Top of the world is much harder than those. Could also descend to the village, easiest way after top of the world would be bits of una moss/express way to blue berry bathtub to b line or whatever.

I think this would all make sense once you've ridden the bike park. It comes across like you have an impression of top of the world being a mellow scenic ride (there's some fairly technical parts, but as a whole its not crazy) and everything else in the bike park is jumps and evil kinevil moves, that stuff is in all the photos and videos but lots of the bike park trails (at least the blue ones) are rocky technical, or smooth and flowy with out significant features.

Also bikes, those are like bare minimum to handle all that stuff but something burlier would be better, it's a ton of descending so good (4 piston and 180 or 200mm rotors) brakes and beefy tires help a lot. And I always recommend full faces and some padding in the bike park (I always wear knees and elbows, anything extra like spine protector or body armour is up to you but not a bad idea) , you're taking lifts all the way up there's no reason not to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    It comes across like you have an impression of top of the world being a mellow scenic ride (there's some fairly technical parts, but as a whole its not crazy) and everything else in the bike park is jumps and evil kinevil moves, that stuff is in all the photos and videos but lots of the bike park trails (at least the blue ones) are rocky technical, or smooth and flowy with out significant features.
    Thanks again Kevin!

I've watched enough YouTube videos of TOTW to know that it is definitely NOT a mellow scenic ride! My concern is more that we end up on a trail after TOTW that has lots of technical wooden features on it that are out of our league or huge drops. Good to know that many of the trails are more flowy because you're right, most of the videos out there are of the gnarly stuff! I guess videos of the rest just wouldn't be quite as exciting. Would the ones with drops/skinnies etc be labelled as such so that they are easy to avoid? Would they have ride arounds if you ended up there anyway?

It's also hard to judge distances just from looking at a map so it's great to know that Creekside is only a 15 min bike ride away.

Hmmm. Now to decide what to do about bikes. Both of our bikes have 4 piston brakes, but only 160 mm rotors.

mtbr member
    You don't have to worry about ending up on crazy features, the only big drops without go arounds are on double black diamond trails, steer clear of those and the black diamond jump trails (a line freight train dirt merchant) and everything is well marked.

mtbr member
    Perfect!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Not sure if these are running this year but if they are - hire Kevin or some other guide for this tour

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/whistl...fall-2015.html
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Every time we've done TOTW we don't come down the park, we turn of to Kyhber. I forgot our route last time, I think we bypassed Babylon/Upper Babylon. The section with the cliff climbing/rapell down. Its a neat novelty to do it once for adventure, but honestly I'd say skip that. If you're good technical riders then you should have no problems, and you can walk any dicey sections. Don't go alone though, once you leave the park you're on your own. Last year came back through the bottom of Creekside. Years before that we ended up a little further away, but manageable path ride back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just be sensible I have unfortunately witnessed someone eat it pretty bad doing TOTW on a trail bike without fullface and no other protection. As mentioned if you can get some chunky tires on your bike or hire something more suitable you will find it more fun and probably feel more confident.

I personally wouldn't do it without a fullface, knee pads and some body armor.

It's an incredible trail enjoy!

mtbr member
    Thanks Human!

mtbr member
    I'm here now and rode TOW yesterday. The 1st 1/2 mile is rocky chunk but built so well that just as long as you let your bike go, you'll flow right over & thru it. I was on my 160mm travel Intense Tracer, my buddy was on a 140mm travel Primer and did just fine. The guy that went down right before us was riding a 10 year old hardtail and no full face. After that 1st 1/2 mile, it's your standard rocky black run for the most part. My buddy was a lil' worried on the lift up (he's a non skier) and that scared him more than the ride down. We rode it all the way back into the resort and it was nowhere near as tough as I expected. The views up top are worth doing the ride alone.

The blue runs over off the Creekside lift (Insomnia and South Park especially) are relatively EASY blues if you ask me. Earth Circus stepped it up a notch with some air/jump opportunities but nothing coming close to a black run. Everything we've ridden so far has been built and maintained fantastically. I've been playing it on the safe side and not launching off anything unless I can see the landing. I could have cleared every one if I was braver and been fine.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm mistaken or maybe I'm a better rider than I thought I was but so far, the theory that all the BC black trails are one step gnarlier than blacks in the US has been a fallacy overall. I'm not complaining, just sharing my opinion. This is the best built and maintained park I've ever ridden. I expected this to be a one time bucket list trip but I'll be back in 2019 or 2020 at the latest. Luckily, I'm here another 8 days.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 07-20-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Thanks for the fantastic report K2rider! We are getting excited. Id love an update if you hit Lort of the Squirrels in the next week too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Thanks for the fantastic report K2rider! We are getting excited. Id love an update if you hit Lort of the Squirrels in the next week too!
    The cycling association has officially opened it today. Meeting a buddy at 8am tomorrow to ride it!

mtbr member
    The cycling association has officially opened it today. Meeting a buddy at 8am tomorrow to ride it!
    Sweeet! I had started another post asking about that ride if you could give us an update after your ride.

mtbr member
    XLNT, let us know how it is. I had blown off the idea of getting to ride it. I'll make sure to ride it next week.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    It was awesome, you have to walk across a snow patch for a minute here n there on 'on the rocks' but doesn't take anything away from the ride, just slows you down a bit. Happy hour had less snow than on the rocks. Be prepared for the day, I told my buddies to bring an extra layer and lots of food and they didn't listen haha.

Used a filter (katadyn befree, just filled it up then poured into bottles) to top up water, worked well, wouldn't have a problem drinking straight from the creeks and did in the past but feel better about it with the filter.

mtbr member
    It was awesome, you have to walk across a snow patch for a minute here n there on 'on the rocks' but doesn't take anything away from the ride, just slows you down a bit. Happy hour had less snow than on the rocks. Be prepared for the day, I told my buddies to bring an extra layer and lots of food and they didn't listen haha.

Used a filter (katadyn befree, just filled it up then poured into bottles) to top up water, worked well, wouldn't have a problem drinking straight from the creeks and did in the past but feel better about it with the filter.
    Yeah, it was cold up top in the park yesterday. I was wearing long sleeves and did okay but I saw some local kids shivering as they rode for lower ground. I have a filter and will carry it when we go out on Thursday.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    It was awesome, you have to walk across a snow patch for a minute here n there on 'on the rocks' but doesn't take anything away from the ride, just slows you down a bit.
    How long did it take you? What route did you take to get to the start?

mtbr member
    Looking at Trailforks, it looks like starting at Sproatt and going up Rainbow/Sproatt Flank (Access Trail), hook a left on Don't Look Back (.6 miles) which will run right Into the Mystic (3000'^^ over 5 miles...going to destroy me). Climb that and go right to On the Rocks (2.22 miles) to LOTS. You can hit Happy Hour (1.6 miles each way) before going down LOTS if you're feeling it.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Looking at Trailforks, it looks like starting at Sproatt and going up Rainbow/Sproatt Flank (Access Trail), hook a left on Don't Look Back (.6 miles) which will run right Into the Mystic (3000'^^ over 5 miles...going to destroy me). Climb that and go right to On the Rocks (2.22 miles) to LOTS. You can hit Happy Hour (1.6 miles each way) before going down LOTS if you're feeling it.
    If you don't want to push right from the beginning I'd recommend going up through Stonebridge to Sirloin and Darwin's onto the Flank. This is route that most people ride to Into The Mystic. The "ride" up from Function to the top of Don't Look Back is STEEP!

Time-wise it took me 6.5hrs door to door last Fall when I rode by myself including the out and back on Happy Hour. I took a pretty long lunch break at the weather station at the end of Happy Hour. The shortest I've ridden it is in about 5hrs.

mtbr member
    Met a buddy at rainbow park, rode alta lake Rd to Scotia creek climb, rode up Stonebridge place, sirloin/Darwin's/flank to into the mystic. Second slowest I've done it I think, we met at 8 and finished like 3:30 but walking across the snow, one guy being pretty late (he met us part way up but we waited at least 30 minutes) a significant mechanical, we climbed up after to add on some more trails at the end, all added time.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    4.5 hours from Creekside to Creekside. 10 or so snowpatches. 3 cubs and Mum on Flank trail near High Society but she's moving around.

EDIT - did not do happy hour
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    OK thanks, Kevin had previously mentioned Stonebridge in another thread but I couldn't find it because I was looking for trail with that name but I just looked up Darwins and saw Stonebridge is a road.

I brought my Tracer but also have access to my buddies Primer. I think I'm going to go ahead and ride my Tracer because it's set up and dialed for me right now. The Primer is obviously set-up like by buddy likes it....different seat, higher bars, etc.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, if you have trouble finding the trail again at the one bigger snow patch towards the end of On The Rocks, look right.