Top 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Top 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?

I know some of the other threads below might be helpful in aswering my question, but I am also going to add my own thread in hopes of getting more detailed answers.

In a few weeks I am driving from northern Idaho to Anchorage with my bike. I plan to spend 7-10 days driving through Canada riding. I want to hit the the must-do world class single track rides and need help.

My riding style is all-mountain, wilderness, single-track adventure mountain biking. I like freeride and have 6" of travel. I like stunts and drops some for sure. But overall though my priority is smooth and fast downhill. I prefer speed and flow over getting bogged down by tech, but I am down for tech too.

I'm not a shuttle style dh rider. My favoirte rides include long climbs and big milage. I love to go high and deep and finish with a flowing ridge to mega downhill. I am not looking for full-on pad-wearing DH - moreso to see beautiful country and ride world-class single track.

I am looking for an itenerary for the 5 best rides like this in Western Canada in route to AK. I'll go anywhere and want the list of TOP trails. I have already ridden everything in Whitehorse/Carcross so don't need any info on that stuff btw.

If anyone can help it would be much appreaciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Seven Summits is a given. https://www.imba.com/epics/seven-summits-trail-epic
    I've never ridden here, but it seems on the way https://www.imba.com/epics/mountain-hero
    Unless you're going through Whistler, in which case, Comfortably Numb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the reply Kavtor -

Seven Summits certainly looks like a must-do. I am on it, but I wonder if I will have any detrimental snow issues during the 1st week of July?

I have ridden Mountain Hero 3xs now. For anyone who ends up in the Yukon, make this ride happen. Overall probably the best all-mountain single track ride in the far north, at least that I know of. A classic.

mtbr member
    in Revelstoke there is Frisby ridge( Frisby Ridge Trail: Revelstoke, British Columbia | bikepirate ) Keystone standard ( Keystone Standard Basin: Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada | bikepirate ) I haven't done them but I here good things. I want to get out there this summer. Just outside of calgary here there is jumping pound/cox hill ( Jumpingpound Ridge Trail to Cox Hill Trail: Kananaskis, Alberta | bikepirate ) a good lung busting climb, some good open ridge and a wicked fast DH.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hizzity, thanks much. Awesome website and all three of those trails look top-notch for my interests.

Anybody have knowledge about Frisby Ridge being closed "for caribou season"? If you go to the trail status page on bikepirate it says "closed".

Think I will go to Revy regardless and if its open will do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Frisby closed until July 15 which is no big deal as it usually has snow patches...not this year though. By itself, it is not what I would call an "all mountain" trail as it can be casually ridden on a rigid. Combine it with the downhill.

Mt. Sale/Martha Creek - pedal rather than shuttle this 5000ft descent
    Mt. 7 - can pedal to the paraglider launch and ride the classic shuttle trails, or push up to the summit for 6000ft of descending
    Idaho peak in New Denver - options off both the North and the South side.
    Okanagan area. Lots of big descents, check out Johnny Smokes "Hurtin' For Vert" reports on Pinkbike.
    Chilcotins?
    Endless loops in Fernie
    Jack the Ripper in Pemberton?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look up the trails in the mountains by Burns Lake, BC. Stop by the visitor center for a nice free map.

Trails

An all mountain single track 'Razorback' takes you up the mountain and then you can come down on smooth 'When Pigs Fly'. I know you will like it based on what you said in your post.

There is also a bike park there with some great 'stunts and drops'.

Free camping 10 feet from the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsavage View Post
    I know some of the other threads below might be helpful in aswering my question, but I am also going to add my own thread in hopes of getting more detailed answers.

In a few weeks I am driving from northern Idaho to Anchorage with my bike. I plan to spend 7-10 days driving through Canada riding. I want to hit the the must-do world class single track rides and need help.

My riding style is all-mountain, wilderness, single-track adventure mountain biking. I like freeride and have 6" of travel. I like stunts and drops some for sure. But overall though my priority is smooth and fast downhill. I prefer speed and flow over getting bogged down by tech, but I am down for tech too.

I'm not a shuttle style dh rider. My favoirte rides include long climbs and big milage. I love to go high and deep and finish with a flowing ridge to mega downhill. I am not looking for full-on pad-wearing DH - moreso to see beautiful country and ride world-class single track.

I am looking for an itenerary for the 5 best rides like this in Western Canada in route to AK. I'll go anywhere and want the list of TOP trails. I have already ridden everything in Whitehorse/Carcross so don't need any info on that stuff btw.

If anyone can help it would be much appreaciated. Thanks.
    Over Moose Mountain think 50 km...maybe 7000 ft vertical...

Start at the bottom of Moose mt road in Kananaskis country Hwy 68.

Ride up Pneuma then up Moose Mt...then hike a bike down north ridge...to gas well site.

Then over to Jumping pound summit....Moose Mtn to JP summit is a faint trail...

Then south down JP summit to Powerface Trail (gravel road)....dont ride road pick up trail that parralels road to powerface trail....bike up pass and down to powder face east trail head....finally Elbow valley trail back to car.

Lots of wilderness lots of elevation lots of downhill....should take a good 6 to 8 hours.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Seven Summits is open already, has been since June 18. We rode it this weekend just after the trail crew finished up. It's already getting really dry up there. Fantastic though!If the heat keeps up....bummer. We each carried a gallon of water and still ran out top of Dewdney. Yesterday (June 27) Snow is a non issue right now.

Top 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?-img_3630sm.jpgTop 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?-img_2208sm.jpg
    I've done both Frisby and Keystone. Keystone is more of a longer adventure ride and if you are really a beast there's some addon mileage you can do. Frisby is beautiful but much shorter. IT seems to be one of the local "after work" rides lol.

Keystone:
    Top 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?-10499486_10202632219792762_6715674669766690808_o.jpgTop 5 Greatest All-Mountain Rides in Western Canada?-10468155_10202632218272724_6382345373577682779_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the further replies to my question folks. Irecently finished my drive to Alaska and I rode a lot and learned a lot aboutthe endless single track Canada has to offer. I think I just barely scratched thesurface and will plan a more extensive trip in the future, based on all the newinformation I have at this point.

I started in Rossland and got on Super Mega Death (SMD) for my 1 ride. Badass intermediate DH. Would for sure ride it again.The next day I rode 7 Summits with the full descent down Dewdney. 7 Summits is definitelya classic, but I will posit that similar rides in Colorado are just as good, ifnot better. For me the highlight was the full descent from Rector Ridge to thebottom of Dewdney. Everything was quite dusty and dry however.

Next I stopped in Revelstoke and got on Keystone-Standard.Happy I did it, definitely another classic alpine trail, but again I can showyou better adventures of a similar nature in Colorado. I think I would haveliked Frisby better, especially with the full DH combo at the end, but it wasclosed. I was going to try riding up to the top of Sale Mtn but some localstold me the trail was in horrible shape due to motorbike thrashing. I opted forthe mellower “Flowdown” trail which I was told was a flowy downhill. For anyonewho gets such information be warned; this trail does not ‘flow down’…..way toomany big long turns and hills going all over the place.

Based on this new info I sure wish I would have stopped inNew Denver on the way to Revy, but I had to keep moving north. I skipped Kamloops(looked like mostly XC and jump park) and ended up in Williams Lake, whichcrushes it. The Alto trail there is one of the best mtb sessions I have everhad for sure. Highly recommended and supposedly there are 5 or so more trailsof a similar nature in the area. I’ll be back for sure.
    From there I passed through Prince George and then BurnsLake. It was late in the evening and I saw all the signs in Burns Lake for mtbtrails. I had no knowledge of this before and I was trying to get to Smithersfor riding, so I passed right through Burns. I now have mucho information thatI made a big mistake. Burns Lake is on the agenda for the next trip for sure.

At Smithers I got on Pay Dirt, a must do, and Piper Cross.Both these trails are worldclass and knarly. After I shuttled this zone a fewtimes I went for a big 27km alpine XC ride – Cronin Pass to Silver King Basin.I have this old BC mountain biking guide book which made it sound like most ofthis ride was single track. Wrong info. This is a very killer XC ride throughbeautiful terrain, but it is almost all double track. The short single tracksection (4k’s?) through the middle section of the ride is awesome though,especially the DH, very aesthetic and unique setting. Glad I did Cronin and I recommendit to people who like big alpine XC, but If I go Smithers again I will focus onriding more of the DH trails there instead.

In the interest of time (already projected to be 3 days latefor work J)I reluctantly decided to skip Terrace for this go around, but heard things arevery nice there as well. Thus from Smithers I blazed up the Cassiar and headedstraight for Carcross YT, one of my favorite mtb places in the world. Here Idid laps on the classic at Montana Mountain all day – Wolverine, Maggies, Goat,Grizzly Bear ect.

I was out of time and skipped Whitehorse, which was hard,but I have ridden most the world class trails there a few times already. Fromthere I charged to AK and snuck in a day of king salmon fishing before I showedup at the office. My bike is trashed and BC/YT gave me and my wheels a solidlickin. I cant wait to come back for a more extended tour and will use all ofthe new info you folks have provided for that mission. Thanks.