Tire choice for Mt. Seymour enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Tire choice for Mt. Seymour enduro

I'm heading to BC for the North Shore Enduro in a couple weeks, and I'm still trying to decide on tires. The Hans Dampf Super Gravitys I've been using all winter in WA are starting to lose some shoulder knobs and I'll probably replace tires before race weekend. Unfortunately I only get one day to pre-ride up there.

The combos I'm considering based on what's in my garage are

Magic Mary SG front/ Hans Dampf SG rear
    Magic Mary SG front/Rock Razor SG rear
    Minion DHF Maxx Terra front/Minion DHR II rear

...or some other combination I haven't thought of. Those are just what I have around.

Bike is a SC Nomad 3 (27.5) with Enve M70 wheels so rims are on the wider side, and I'm 100kg or so geared up.

Looking forward to finally visiting the shore. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    The 2 combos without the Rock Razor are a safe bet. I ride on Vancouver Island so I can't tell you for sure. If I didn't know the exact conditions I would leave the RR at home and play it safe.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Glad to know my reluctance to use the Rock Razor was rational.

My only concern with the Minions is going to a softer casing than the Super Gravity because I hear it's a bit rockier/rootier up there than where I am, south of Seattle. Any thoughts on that? I run everything tubeless.

ups and downs
    Minions are a really common tire on the North Shore, if it's been wet (and there's always a good chance of that) you want something that can hang on to wet roots, bridge decks and skinnies. There's some exposed granite rock rolls but we don't have a lot of sharp edge rock to deal with.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks. I think I might throw the Minions on there then. 200g per tire is a big savings (versus Schwalbe Super Gravity) and if the performance is fine I'll probably just do that. They do have the EXO casing so it sounds like they'll hold up just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Changing my answer. I tried the Minions, but at 100kg the Schwalbe Super Gravitys allow this big boy to run lower, grippier pressures and have a lot more confidence on the way down. Looks like it'll be a Magic Mary SG VertStar front/Hans Dampf SG TrailStar rear. I'm sure Minions are superb for lighter riders, though, and I'll definitely keep them for races on smoother trails.

mtbr member
    Good luck. A couple of my friends are headed to that race, and it sounds like fun.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks. I'm a little nervous because it's my first time riding up there, but I figure if I keep the rubber side down and check out some new trails there's no way the day will be a loss. The course does look pretty rad... Looks like they front-loaded the hardest stuff. Stage 1 is long and covers Corkscrew/Salvation/Pingu/Pangor. Should be interesting.

ups and downs
    Here's a trail map of Mt.Seymour, you can check the trails out vicariously by turning on the photos.

Mount Seymour Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks... I've been checking out trailforks and youtube as well, and I'm hoping a lot of the skinnies on Corkscrew/Salvation are optional.