Sun Peaks or Panorama or Kicking horse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sun Peaks or Panorama or Kicking horse

Next summer ( yes i know it's a long time still ) i will be going to one of these resorts. Can you tell me which is the best for someone that usually rides blue and black diamond runs. I like the skinnys and log rides too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you want the best trails then you have to come to Whistler

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sun Peaks is great. More natural trails, lots of variety.

Put Silver Star (Vernon ) on your list. They built the park with a plan... I haven't ridden there but have heard its pretty good.

I haven't ridden Panorama or Kicking Horse.

Whistler is great but more beat then Sun Peaks and Silver Star ( I've heard ).
    Whistler is best when Garbonzo is open and not wet.

wpg then, van now
    Panarama is really good. they have been improving their trails year after year, in an attempt to be the best outside of whistler.
    I guess it depends on how long you're riding, and where you're coming from. I'd rather ride an extra day than drive another day...
    We'll ride 5 days at Pano and not be bored for a minute.

mtbr member
    I live in Grande Prairie Alberta. It's about 5 hours north- east of Edmonton. I have already been to whistler but i am not willing to drive that far this time. All of the places i listed are roughly 9 hours away.

Oct 2005

Golden!!!

OK comming from a fellow GP'er.... It takes me about 8 hours to drive to Golden and kicking horse is a good time. There are not loads of trails yet but enough to choose from in a day. They have really been working on it to push the mountain biking and the builders do a good job. I imagine by next summer it should be looking real nice. It isn't over priced and not busy at all, you won't wait in line. The runs are really long, it's a big mountain.... The view is best in Golden for sure, if that's what your in to. Then there is the infamous Mount 7, a shuttle runs up there everyday (hourly?) for 10$. So if the hill isn't up to your standards or you ride it out you can do that also, (and you should!!).
    Sun peaks is probably a little better of a hill, tough to say they are REALLY different from one another, I havent seen all of sunpeaks but they have been doing it a while, it seemed to be more developed. They have more runs, but really how many runs do you take in a day before your body gives out.
    It takes me about 9 hours to get to kamloops, again there is loads of other great riding around kamloops but nothing like mount 7.
    I've never been to Panorama, and all though silverstar is a 'nice' hill, not good enough for us northerners to go so far out of the way, I think.
    Panorama is like an hour and a half pass golden isn't it?
    So yeah I think golden is a good choice, not too crowded, less expensive, the closest resort, and you can also ride mount7, you know a 'quick' one before you leave the next day . I hope that helps.

Nov 2005
    I've never ridden in around Golden or Kicking Horse however I go to Sun Peaks often. Its a great place, long trails with some rather technical trails plus the added bonus of Kamloops, theres alot of great riding there.
    I have never been to Big White, its about another 2 hour drive from Kamloops, I've heard it was great, second only to Whistler.
    I rode for a few days in Panorama 2 years ago, and came back last year and couldent believe the progress they've made with the trails. I never got a chance to go there this year but its definately on my list for 2006. Panorama has excellent trails and great people working there as well, its definately a destination you should check out in the upcoming year.

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    I have ridden all these resorts in last 2 years aand I would have to say I rate them in this order.
    1. Sun peaks: most vertical with good flowy technical riding. Route 66 rocks with 66 berms what more can you say. Accomodation is moderately resonable at the hill or cheap in Kamloops if you don't mind driving every day. There is a Hostel at the hill if yuo don't mind partying with a bunch of Aussies every night.
    2.Silver Star: Could become no.1 soon on my list. No people and lots of good riding, Not as much Black diamond as Sun Peaks but working on it. The trails there are the best flowing trails I have ridden at a bike park other than whistler. Accomodation at the pinnacles is super cheap and we can take the dog. Lot's of freeride stuff in Vernon at Kal lake if you don't mind Peddalling up.I spent 1 week at silver star this summer and loved it.
    3.Panoroama: Great riding , not so flowing, takes a while to get to know the hill and find the stuff you like. Can be super dusty.Long way to Invermere if you are staying there and there is nothing to do at the hill at night.Most stuff is closed in the summer.
    4. Golden: My favoritew of all for Skiing is not my fav for riding. Not enough variety. **** ass steep for skiing means too steep to ride down so terrain is limeted. Not a lot of trails from the top. Golden is a great place to stay and Mount Seven is where the riding is at if you like steeps and can shuttle.

I have left out whistler as we all know the riding is good but I can't deal with the amount of people and the prices. These other hills offer way more value in my opinion. I also like fernie with exception of the Antiquated chair lift. I live on Vancouver Island so my local hill is mount washington and the bike park is ok but definitely not destination material.If you like freeride and stunts Rossland and Nelson are the best in the province. Rossland has good maps and everything is signed well ,making it easy to just show up and ride.

conjoinicorned
    sun peaks!!!!!!!

not super tech, lots of skinnies/logs and blue-er black runs, and there is absolutely no better place in BC to hang out than kelowna, no exceptions! can ride there for days on end! plus as mentioned, there are many amazing local trails both in the loops and in kelowna. plus there is a sweet beach to hang out on, with more girls per square foot than in all of GP combined! (and really, that's what it's all about...)

kicking horse is my personal favorite, but really steep and hard both physically and mentally to ride for more than a day or two. panny is fun but nowhere nearby to anything else, and very dependant on conditions. fernie is awesome but far away from the GP and anything else for that matter. silverstar is on my list for next year, so we'll see how that compares...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Feb 2006

New question here.

Any good xc trails at panorama?

conjoinicorned
    the mountain doesn't have much XC, but there are a lot of "local" trails that are pretty awesome. check the bike shops in town, but my personal favorite is the swansea trail system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SunPeaks

I have ridden sunpeaks, whistler, north shore. I like sunpeaks best as is long and natural
    hardly any structures and all different kinds of trails. ps not very many people either.

mtbr member
    you like sun peaks even more than Whistler???

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What I get from reading this thread is that you are trying to find a place to ride that is almost as good as WHISTLER. You've gotten many responses that state the opinion outside of whistler or "almost as good as whistler.
    If you want to ride the best then you have to come to the best. Whistler is still the #1 resort for skiing and biking in North america. Now I'm not a rider that rides just downhill...i prefer XC riding and don't mind riding up whistler.

It's hard to compare other resorts to Whistler...because they are trying to become as good as Whistler. But each year Whistler ups the anty even more. Thats the only way to stay #1.

IMBA is also coming to Whistler for there annual conference this June. If Whistler was not the best do you think IMBA would bring there conference here?
    So come on out and enjoy the best of the best!

mtbr member
    I can't go to whistler because my parents don't want to drive that far this year. I was there last summer and it was sweet. I'm going to kicking horse with a couple of friends at the end of june so that should be good.

conjoinicorned
    you should let me know what dates you're going, i'd ride there with ya fa sho.

i love kicking horse, so dangerous and steep.

mtbr member
    I have ridden Whistler, the North Shore, Panorama, and Fernie. Panorama is owned by the same guy that owns Whistler. They made soooo many new trails last year. By the end of the summer Panorma was really nice.

How come no one mentions Fernie? They built $55,000 worth of trails last year. Fernie is now a mini-Whistler. They have a A-Line like trail even. They opened up the other side of the mountain with about 5 new trails and they are all awesome. I even talked with a few guys from Whistler at Fernie and they said they liked Fernie better because there were no lines and it was really laid back. The only downfall to Fernie is the one chair is SUPER slow. You get use to it and it is a nice break so you can ride all day. The other Fernie chair is a highspeed quad. Panorama and Fernie really stepped it up by the end of the year. You would not be disappointed with either. Try Fernie before you hit Pan, KH, and SP. The local Fernie riding is sweeeeeet too. Pretty close to the North Shore if you know where to look. Fernie is just undiscovered. I want to live there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoRider
    I can't go to whistler because my parents don't want to drive that far this year. I was there last summer and it was sweet. I'm going to kicking horse with a couple of friends at the end of june so that should be good.
    I rode Kicking horse last year, late August I think.
    Basically one 'fire road' type trail from the top, with some other runs going off it as you go down the mountain. Some are very steep and technical. Very few built-up stunts, with I think one bermy trail (Kranky pants). There might be more this year, not sure.

The gondola is really nice to ride in (goes right over the grizzly bear enclosure), but might be a bit warm on a hot day.

If you are in Golden for a weekend, you might consider hitting Kicking Horse one day, and Mt 7 the other day.

Members who have read this thread: 0