Summer trip, how to split time between Squamish and Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Summer trip, how to split time between Squamish and Whistler

Hey Guys,

As the title states, I've planned a trip to BC for 8 days in late June, early July. I'm trying to figure out how to split my time between Squamish and Whistler. I was lucky enough to ride a couple days in Squamish about 4 years ago. Loved half nelson and psuedo tsuga (rode others but can't remember the names). I've only skied whistler.

I would consider myself an intermediate/advanced rider. I enjoy everything except super techy and massive gap jumps (double blacks aren't for me). I know I'll want to do a few lift days at whistler but am also interested in the other trails in the area. My wife will be with me and she is a very solid intermediate rider. Her favorite are the machine cut flow trails. We both are bringing our spot mayhem 29ers, 140/130mm travel bikes.

I'm trying to figure out how to split my time. I know both locations are a little less than an hours drive from each other and we've discussed just staying in one location the entire trip, too.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Probably best bet is to stay in Whistler, day trip or two to squamish, also means you can head out to Pemberton (~30 minutes north) for a ride too. Whistler just has so much more going for it than staying in squamish, if you stay in or close to the village you'll never need to drive except for leaving town.

Could maybe even figure it out without a car if flying into Vancouver, shuttle options can take bike bags, not totally sure on best ways to do rides in squamish and Whistler but there's the 'shred shuttle' between Whistler and squamish and some of the bike tour companies (like Arbutus Routes) in Whistler go to pemby and squamish too.

If there's big savings to be had staying in squamish could be alright too. I met a group a couple years ago that stayed a couple nights each in Whistler/squamish/pemby and said they would've rather just stayed in Whistler the duration.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Subscribed.
    Also looking for input on a Squamish/Whistler/Pemby trip including info on ability to shuttle some of the Pemberton trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Subscribed.
    Also looking for input on a Squamish/Whistler/Pemby trip including info on ability to shuttle some of the Pemberton trails.
    More people pedal up the trails, but Mackenzie fsr accesses a lot of trails and is a pretty good dirt road for trucks and SUVs. Have been up in a beater saturn 2wd car before too was fine.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the condition of the fsr info, you never know how drivable a decommissioned fsr is until you get there.
    We always pedal everything locally, but when on vacation its really nice to be able reap the rewards of a few shuttle laps.
    It looks like this trip will likely be the 1st week of August, any input on if Pemberton / Whistler is worth riding during that time of year?

mtbr member
    Yeah good time. Peak summer so can be busy, hot and dry then. But weather is always unpredictable, last summer was wetter than usual. Top of the world and lord of the squirrels in Whistler should be good to go then too. Pemby is hotter and drier than whistler, I usually don't ride there much in July and August.

ups and downs
    Just a reminder that Crankworx dates in Whistler are August 5-16, 2020. It can be a bit crowded, some of the Bike Park trails may be taped off for events.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Ah dang, thanks brother. That will definitely weigh in on the decision to go during that time... hmmm.

ups and downs
    If you do all your Whistler stuff before the 5th and then travel around to Pembie and Squamish after Crankworx starts it should be good, it doesn't seem that the Crankworx crowd shows up many days in advance. And the big spectator crowds are there for the big slopestyle events toward the end of the event.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Crankworx is fun to be around for, but it's busy and hotel prices are high, and that first weekend when the enduro events are on has the most trail closures too.