Still Riding in Banff?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Still Riding in Banff?

I am headed to Banff Next weekend . . . Granted I am bringing the ski's and praying for snow every day but I was wondering how dry the trails are in and around Banff? Is anyone still riding? Does anyone rent pugsley's around town?

Any trails that are still dry that are fun to hike on?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    So true and it has me stoked. . .

However I have done my due dilligence and I see some trails are dry:

http://banfftrailtrash.blogspot.com/...oon-fever.html

Late edit. . .I still can't spell no matter what forum I post in

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jeff,

I see you live in Calgary, that is of course where we are flying in and will be staying in Calgary on the 17th - 20th. We are hitting up a Flames game on the 17th. Any suggestions for what do do in Calgary on the 18th or 19th? I hear Calgary has quite a few options as far as tourism goes but wasn't sure if there was anything special going on.

We are honeymooning. . .

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Calgary will be either very cold, or not so cold...Hope for a Chinook...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html

The Calgary Tower is actually a pretty good thing to do, sit in the resturant and get a panorama of the area, on a Clear Day the mountains are phenomenal.

If not cold...

The Bike Paths are plowed and provide excellent riding through the downtown, Nose Hill is almost always ridable (check out the maps http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/...hways_map.pdf), same with Fish Creek park, lots of single track too....Glenmore Reservior, and Heritage park are fun.

West from downtown is Edworthy Park lots of people, walking running, riding etc, on the way is the Douglas Fir trail it might be closed???

17th S ave between the Saddle Dome and 14 street W is the "strip" with clubs etc.

Skating on Bowness Pond is excellent they rent skates, That is far north west end of the city.

Calgary Olympic Park for day and night skiing, I think you can still get a bob sled ride...

Lots of bands and bars check out a newspaper called Metro for times and venues...

If stinking cold....well you picked Calgary,

I leave for St Lucia on the 18th, it will be warm there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! We did pick Calgary and Banff, the funny part is that I have only been to the Rockies during the winter. Some day I will get over the skiing fix of things and make it out for a summer trip.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Southern Alberta was one of the warmest areas in Canada for the month of November, so you never know how the weather will treat you in Calgary.

The Calgary Zoo is actually quite impressive with many indoor exhibits if it is cold out. From the above post, the Douglas Fir Trail is usually closed by now. I used to live right by the area and it is a great inner city trail. The Adjoining Edworthy Park is good for a walk and people watching. Prince's Island Park is located in downtown and is usually bustling with activity.

Kensington is a cool area with decent shopping, good eats, pubs and neighborhoods with restored Victorian style houses. Kensington is very close to Prince's Island Park, Edworthy Park, Downtown and the Zoo, so it is a good launching point for exploring the inner city.

mtbr member
    Thanks ronny!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When I drove through Banff / Canmore last weekend it was still dry with no snow. However, there is supposed to be a storm front hitting us today, as I type it is pretty heavy snow already.

I have been boarding to Lake Louise the past two weekends and it has been excellent so far. Much better compared to this time last season. I haven't been to sunshine though. Depends if you board or Ski??

For riding trails on your bike you can check out the conditions at the Canmore nordic ski centre. I'm not sure if they have started making snow there yet for their xc skiing routes...... but the singletrack for riding there is ok for a quick visit. Theres also the route from Canmore to Banff there which should be free of snow.

Finally I was at the zoo the other night and they have their lights up now so it's pretty good to go to a night.

Have a good trip!

mtbr member
    I ski and am very interested in Sunshine.

Has anyone tried any of the Heli operations around the area? I was going to try a day if the conditions are worth it.

The zoo sounds like a pretty good idea, we might have to check that out.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sunshine willbe great for you then. From reports I have from mates the season there has been good so far!

Not sure of any Heli operators in the area though........ you would maybe need to go 3 hours south to the Fernie area for that or 5 hours west to Revelstoke area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Although the two largest heli-ski operations in the world are headquartered in Banff (Wiegle and CMH), they don't operate from Banff. The closest heli-ski operations are about two hours away at either Panorama (R.K.) or Golden. You'll have plenty of skiing to do at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise, though. I wouldn't worry about getting bored.

As far as riding at the Canmore Nordic Centre, you won't be able to. They're in full ski mode now, as I saw when I was out there last weekend. I would have said Kananaskis Country would be a good bet for riding, up until last week when we started getting snow. I wouldn't recommend it now, though, unless you're equiped for serious winter riding (I ride trails all winter with carbide studded Schwalbe tires).
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Boy, I hope it wasn't this past weekend that you came out here. We just had a record breaking cold snap on the weekend (temps in the -30 range). If it's this coming weekend that you're coming out, it will be much nicer, with temps in line with seasonal averages (around the freezing point or warmer).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    Boy, I hope it wasn't this past weekend that you came out here. We just had a record breaking cold snap on the weekend (temps in the -30 range). If it's this coming weekend that you're coming out, it will be much nicer, with temps in line with seasonal averages (around the freezing point or warmer).
    Hey everybody,

We are back and had a great time. We were there during the cold snap weekend but it warmed up later in the week. We took advantage of the cold times to get some hiking in and really enjoyed it as we came prepared for the coldest of the cold.

Got some great snow days in at Sunshine and Lake Louise. I was lucky enough to meet some locals and they took me out for a touring day with fresh turns off the top of Standash and Wa Wa. My first time strapping on a avie beacon so life couldn't get much better.

We decided Calgary wasn't worth our time and only went down for the Thursday game against the Kings which was sweet since we got to see a win. Otherwise we stayed in Banff the entire time.

Cheers for all the comments and that is some great country you all have to play in.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Glad you enjoyed the trip. The Banff region is a designated UNESCO World Heritage site and we're very lucky, here, to have it in our back yard.

Good call on not spending much time in Calgary. There isn't much point this time of year. Try coming back in early July during Stampede (the world's biggest party) because there's a lot more to do, plus you'll be able to get in some great hikes and rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0