Starting a new MTB life@ Whistler- Mtbr.com
    Yasmine A.
    Nov 2013

Starting a new MTB [email protected] Whistler

Speaking about passion! I started mountain biking at the age of 33 and a year and a half later, I am completely and totally taken by the sport. I ride 4/5 days a week and got into bike mechanics at a local bike shop.

Nothing seems as interesting, and I find myself wishing to leave all behind and start a new chapter in the world's biggest bike park, where I can bike 5/6hrs a day, improve my bike mechanics and perhaps earn a living somehow.

Anyone felt the same way before or went that far?

:-D

mtbr member
    There are a lot of great mtb communities besides Whistler. Remember Whistler is there for skiing. Research the job markets vs mtb opportunities. Yes riding is stellar in Whistler, but so are lots of other places. I strongly support your decision to move for better riding, but look before you drop in.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

ups and downs
    Whistler is an expensive place to pursue a dream, and it gets winter. There are other places on the coast or the Island that have rideable trails all year 'round and a much lower cost of living, unless you're only into lift assisted Park riding. You're young enough to give it a whirl, go for it, there's certainly worse things to pursue.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Yasmine A.
    Nov 2013
    hehe thank you guys.. Will give it a shot next summer and spend some weeks there.. maybe that would be enough or maybe I decide to stay ;-)

Thanks

ups and downs
    About 1/3 of Whistler's population is there through the same process.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I did a couple ski bum seasons a few years ago. It was fun and did great things for my skiing, but I found I want more from life.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Yasmine A.
    Nov 2013
    Where do you find other great MTB communities, places where you could MTB all around.. Etc

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    There are a lot of great mtb communities besides Whistler. Remember Whistler is there for skiing. Research the job markets vs mtb opportunities. Yes riding is stellar in Whistler, but so are lots of other places. I strongly support your decision to move for better riding, but look before you drop in.

ups and downs
    Squamish has a longer riding season than Whistler (lower elevation), and there are several areas on Vancouver Island (Comox, Courtney, Parksville) that have trail networks nearby that are used for BC Bike Race. In North Vancouver, we can quite often go cross country skiing and riding on the same day, as the snow line often stays above 500m elevation all winter (not a guarantee). Gibson's Landing and Powell River on the Sunshine Coast have trails nearby, and tend to have mild (if not wet) winters. Then there's the Gulf Islands, like Hornby which have a great MTB culture.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If you're looking for all-year riding, you could also try a place like California instead

mtbr member
    I'm familiar with Vancouver Island as I live in Cumberland (Comox Valley). Great riding pretty much year round. We missed a couple of weeks last year due to snow. There are lots of options within an hour of here as well.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."