Squamish/Whistler in October- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Squamish/Whistler in October

I am trying to plan my first ever trip to BC. The only time this year I will be able to get off enough days for the trip is October 11th-21st. Will be driving up from California to Bellingham, staying there for a couple of days, then heading up to Squamish then Whistler and maybe check out some other areas as well. I was wondering is this a good time of year for a bike trip to the area? Is there usually snow by then? Tons of rain?

mtbr member
    According to Whistler's website, the last lift (Fitzsimmons) closes on Oct 14th this year. The gondola closes on Sept 8th. Maybe you should go straight thru to ride Whistler first the 12-14, go to Squamish a couple days and then hit Bellingham on your way back south. That's what I'd do.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Yeah solid advice. Got some friends I have to meet up with in Bellingham but guess we could scoop them up and keep driving. To clarify, I am not too worried about getting to ride the bike park, mostly just wanting to know if this is too late in the season for most the trails there. Most my planned rides are in Squamish. The ride I am really hoping to do in whistler is the Into the mystic to Lord of Squirrels ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    The ride I am really hoping to do in whistler is the Into the mystic to Lord of Squirrels ride.
    I did that ride last July. Into the Mystic is really just a long climb thru the forest on machine built trails so nothing too special until you break out of the dense forest up top. But once you do, my oh my, unbelievably scenic and going down LOTS was awesome. LOTS itself is definitely on my "top 5 ever" list.

I'm not a park guy myself but riding Whistler's park makes me want to be one. I expected to be overwhelmed but it's so well made that my confidence was way up and I was riding a few double blacks. I really liked all the structures in Bellingham as well but there were many I avoided. Oh to be 30 years younger...

I can't help you with the October time frame but we loved the trail 'A river Runs Through It'...kind of an intermediate up & down affair with lower level structures all over with A & B lines. Comfortably Numb is a ball buster!!
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    You'd have to be lucky to ride the LOTS loop at that time of year, it starts getting snow right around then, so there's a chance but I wouldn't count on it. Other trails will be fine unless there's a freak early snow fall like last year (that was actually cool to ride in). Potential for rain then for sure, but if it isn't raining then the best conditions are in the fall. Should definitely start with Whistler while the parks still open.

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for the advice. And yeah I kind of figured it was a toss up time of year to visit. Would prefer to come in September but don't think I can make it work.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I just did that trip in reverse. See the guys at Tantalus Bike Shop for Squamish info, if you need it. Squamish is my fav place to ride now. They have bike washes set up around town, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It can definitely rain at that time of year, but the riding is usually awesome. Pemberton is especially great then, its sandy soil riding well with some moisture. In general, you can expect slippery roots and tacky dirt. You’ll get the odd snowfall in the alpine in October, but lower down should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Depends if you are lucky. Sometimes rain comes mid Spetember and it goes on for weeks, sometimes (like last year) it was totally dry until mid November

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll keep Pemberton in mind for an alternative option. Any other regions within 3-5 hour drive time from bellingham that you would recommend if rain/snow comes early? Thinking of doing the north shore as a backup.

mtbr member
    After looking into Pemberton more think I might have to go ride there either way! Cream puff, No Err, and Overnight Sensation look amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    After looking into Pemberton more think I might have to go ride there either way! Cream puff, No Err, and Overnight Sensation look amazing!
    Yeah definitely, you could link those three in a fairly big ride