Squamish ride tomorrow (8/15)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Squamish ride tomorrow (8/15)

Hi All,

I'm in British Columbia for a couple weeks, and I'm looking to ride around Squamish tomorrow, but I don't have anyone to ride with. Would anyone be willing to ride with me and show me around? I haven't ridden with enough people to be a good judge of my own experience level, but I'd say I'm intermediate. I was at Cumberland a few days ago, and the blues were pretty easy and the blacks were challenging but doable.

If no one's up for a ride, any trail suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Goose, I'm in Cumberland. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm the old man on the red Knolly and plaid shirt, the one soaked with sweat.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I really, really enjoyed it. I'm from the northeast US, and the trails there just can't compare...I don't think I saw you, but happy riding!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

how about cross country riding this saturday

i'm going to be in squamish this weekend. i'm looking to ride on saturday (aug 20). would like to do a 20 mile (30 k) loop, but more on the cross country rather than 'crazy technical challenges'.

is there anywhere to find info on a good loop, maybe a local bikeshop, or even some folks to ride with. *** and i don't mind walking around big drops or tricky structure, but would rather be riding more than stopping.

cheers,

ken

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ken,

I was just in Squamish, first time there, wanted to get a good 25-30 mile loop a day, and wasn't able to meet up with anyone. I used the Trailforks app to get around.

Once you have the app installed on your mobile device, visit the trailforks website (Squamish Suggested Ride Routes | Trailforks), find a route you want to ride, and click the "wishlist" icon. The route you selected will then sync to your app.

Take some time to fiddle with the app before you go...hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    thanks, trailforks website looks good. i've downloaded the app too. now just gotta figure out how to stay cool. living in the pacific NW, just not used to hot weather anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mauka2makai View Post
    Ken,

I was just in Squamish, first time there, wanted to get a good 25-30 mile loop a day, and wasn't able to meet up with anyone. I used the Trailforks app to get around.

Once you have the app installed on your mobile device, visit the trailforks website (Squamish Suggested Ride Routes | Trailforks), find a route you want to ride, and click the "wishlist" icon. The route you selected will then sync to your app.

Take some time to fiddle with the app before you go...hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    here's my thoughts post ride, if anyone else uses this for reference later on:

-- trailforks app on a smartphone using in real-time works really well, and was super helpful. but it was not perfect. trails were somewhat confusing, and some well marked, but plenty not labeled. and just enough differences, between trailforks map and reality that extra time was spent stopping / looking at phone / riding a short bit/ repeat.

-- a very wide range in what 'blue trails' could be. some with basically zero technical (50 shades of greeen) to some that were darn close to black diamond (fred)

-- there's also a website called ridespots.com, that has a few actual loops described. this was helpful, but more loops, and some longer ones would be helpful.

--- i did some stuff up near alice lake (dead end loop....) and then down in giribaldi (skookum, fred, tinder.....). i'm not sure i'd recommend doing this as a cross crountry while there was a lot of access road as far as the mileage instead of trails. (didn't do gallactic due to trail race)

--- lots of great people out there during the day and had a great time.

cheers,

ken

mtbr member
    I understand that if a structure is twice as high off the ground as it is wide then that trail is rated 1 black diamond. This is known as the Whistler Standard and can be misleading. We have trails that are rated black for a small bridge that is perfectly safe and others that have the same rating, except for steepness. Someone rides the bridge trail easily and then does the harder trail with the same rating and scratches their head.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."