South Chilcotins- Mtbr.com
    Group Hug Participant

New question here. South Chilcotins

Anyone here ridden this area? Specifically around the Spruce Lake/Lake Warner area? I'm dying to find any feedback.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great ride!!
    Here is a link that I had posted last year.
    The trip was August long weekend 2004.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40847

Group Hug Participant

Thanks!

Sweet! Looks like you had a great time. I've got a group heading up the first week of July and everyone's totally stoked! Doing the float plane thing from Tyax to either Spuce Lake or Warner. What would you say about the trails? Looking at your pics, I'm guessing somewhat tame and well groomed?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    Sweet! Looks like you had a great time. Looking at your pics, I'm guessing somewhat tame and well groomed?

Far from it...............
    Don't assume anything specially going into the area.
    It is a really beautiful area to go biking but don't let that fool you.
    Weather is a big factor and physical condition is another.
    When I did it last year it was so HOT and DRY.
    We did it through through the Taylor Pass and then on to Spruce Lake.
    Tame is not what I was thinking when I am riding up 2 mountain passes on the first day, just to get to Spruce and close to 30 km for the day. (And I am no wimp either)
    Going through Warner Lake is even farther (forgot how much farther.......10-15 km+????)
    I did this ride 2 years ago (2001), same long weekend- it was muddy going in and just poured on the middle day. We had a bit of snow at Spruce Lake and did not ride that day because it was so wet and cold. Luckly the third day it stopped raining and we could ride out in dry but muddy conditions. The weather was so bad early on the third day that we weren't sure Dale was going to be able to fly in and get our stuff at Spruce Lake.
    Your pretty much on your own when your out there.
    As far as technical riding..... it is not that hard, except for a couple sections.
    If your a strong rider you would not have a problem.
    The views are fabulous and the scenery is incredible.
    The wildlife is great......specially when you get to see them in their natural habitat. Like a moose, grizzly.......very cool!
    I highlight for me.
    Anyways just wanted to address that it is not tame and well groomed trails.
    They are horse trails that we share with the horse rider's/companies, along with hikers.
    Just wanted to make sure you understand this ain't no walk in the park.....................
    (or any one who would read your comment.............lol)
    Yes I had a great time and can't wait till I do it again!!!
    So I hope that helps and Good Luck!

Group Hug Participant

Thanks for the eye-opener

I was pretending to be naive about the whole situation. When in reality, I'm expecting a truly epic mountain bike adventure. I saw the scenes from "The Collective" with I think, Dave Watson and Shandro, and just about went through the roof!

Hey, did you give Dale a tip afterwards?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I hope you didn't take it personal but I was not sure if you were serious or pulling my chain...........LOL
    I have had experienced meeting a few bikers who talked the big talk of their riding skill but when I finally got to see their riding ability it was a whole different story..............
    As to your question concerning a tip to Dale?
    Not sure but I was not incharge of the money or paying so I don't really know but if you think about it for a second. The only place you might run into Dale is on the last day when your leaving the Spruce Lake. But the odds are you might not see him depending on how busy he is. You might leave Spruce Lake before he arrives at Lake to pickup your stuff at the dock. And odds are you won't see him when you arrive at, I assume Tyax Lodge on Taughton Lake to pick up your stuff. It might be tough to do unless you do it right away but that is up to you I guess???????

Just roll it......

Yo DP, easy on Slayer, he's mostly a BC newbie..... :)

......but he's one of my crew and the man has skillz! Plus, I gots to stand up for my Washington boys.... Just kidding, of course.

We're arranging the trip through Dale at Tyax for early July and are completely stoked!!! Your Chilcotin pics from last summer are part of what inspired this trip and we're looking for some serious adventures!! We're planning to do at least one float plane day each and probably a few rides in that area. We're all gonna do the Warner Lake trip and some may do a second day out to Spruce or elsewhere. I'll be up there the entire week hitting the shore and Whistler and then finally, the Chilcotins!! Boo ya....can't wait.

We're gonna stay at some cabins on Lake Tyaughton so if you have any special trails that you think we should hit, sound off, brotha!! We'll definitely do the Gun Lake trail, but would love to know the others around there as well.

Hope to hook up with you soon. Maybe the shore or Woodlot in the next month or so? Me and FM are heading to Moab at the end of March with our crew for some SW madness...... hehehehe

One other thng. My gal and I are taking a 9 day roadtrip to interior BC. The plan is to hit Keleowna, Kamloops, Vernon and maybe Revelstoke for a mix of FR and XC (we'll have both bikes with us). We're already hooking up with Chuck at the Kamloops bike camps for a couple of days of shuttling. Any trail recommendations or areas that you know are welcome (not to threadjack Slayer here - you could PM me if you have something)??

EB

P.S. I know exactly what you're talking about with fellas touting their "skillz" on these boards. It's easy to be king sh*t when you're not riding the crap we ride with the caliber of riders, but Slayer (thankfully) is overly modest....

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Hey EB.........Well for the record Slayer should up front on the trail when you run into the area where the grizzly is, near Spruce Lake.......................... LOL
    (That should teach them from saying "tame and groomed trails") just kidding!!!!!!!

Sounds like you got a lot of good riding ahead. I am jealous...... I hope to get out to Moab in October.

Just let me know when your in town and maybe we can connect for a ride then you, FM and gang can come up and kick my A$$.
    As to some riding in the interior you should look into Merritt......some very nice riding there. One of my favorite (also telemiker's) riding spot. If your there on a weekend we could connect for a ride.......maybe. Unfortunately I work unlike you...........who seems to have a lot of holiday time...........LOL

KC

Group Hug Participant
    Thanks EB, you're my Hero! Seriously though, I feel very fortunate to be part of this mountain bike extravaganza. Not many mountain bikers get a chance to experience riding like this.

DP, your info is greatly appreciated. If there's anything else you can recommend, that'd be great.

I'm off to check your pics again and tout my non-existant skillz elsewhere!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Thanks for posting the link!

I replied over on the other thread.

Was up there last July and will be heading back up this summer.

Thought I'd add a photo to the thread from our trip.

My wife riding toward Spruce Lake on the Gun Creek trail.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo

Just let me know when your in town and maybe we can connect for a ride then you, FM and gang can come up and kick my A$$.

KC
    DP, thanks for the head's up....we'll have Slayer take the lead and be our Grizzly decoy! As they say, I don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun Slayer!!

I definitely plan to do mucho riding in BC this Spring and Summer. Merritt sounds good, but I know NOTHING about it. If you've got more details on trails or areas around there that I should definitely hit, then pass 'em along.

Craig / DP, if the weather holds up this week, I might hit Fromme on Saturday with a few guys. The plan would probably be to ride up, hit 7th secret as a "warmup", then go back up and do Upper Oil Can. Then, we'll hit either Pink Starfish, Ladies or Jerry Rig (if folks are feeling really frisky) on the way down. If you're interested, PM me and let's touch base later in the week.

Cheers,
    EB

Maybe, but bike is currently in pieces. Might have it back together depending on how things go this week.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    If you're interested, PM me and let's touch base later in the week.

Cheers,
    EB
    I PM you but I thought I just drop a line incase you miss the message.
    But maybe we'll still touch base...............let me know?????

Mar 2004
    This area looks incredible. What month of the summer would be the best time to hit it? Is early July too early? Everytime I look at the forecast for the West it's just been crap so I wonder if there will be mud and erosion issues? Thanks for any advice.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowenbrau
    This area looks incredible. What month of the summer would be the best time to hit it? Is early July too early? Everytime I look at the forecast for the West it's just been crap so I wonder if there will be mud and erosion issues? Thanks for any advice.
    I will say this concerning weather in this area.
    In a way it really hard to really know what the weather will be there 2-3 months from now. Specially if you need to know so you can plan for time off from work. I have been there twice, at the same time of the year ( August Long weekend in BC) and both times the weather has been very different. One year it was kinda muddy with rain/snow on 1 day. Last year when I did it was quite hot and dry. (So it is a bit of a hit and miss)
    I have freinds who have done it more often than I have and I remember them telling me one year it was really muddy, wet and windy. (Same time as above)
    If your really worried maybe get the phone # from Tyax Lodge, or someone from the area and find out what the weather has been like. Usually this is best way to confirm what the weather is really like, specially if your coming from outside the province.

My suggestion if you want to do it.......book it and go. (I plan to go next year. Need a change this year.)
    Just be prepared for any weather conditions.

Good Luck

Rest of the Chilcotin trip pics from last year are here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y213/o...004_Chilcotin/

Mar 2004
    Dawgprimo thanks for the advice. I think I might leave it for later in August now. I've been to B.C. a number of times and I've had more luck at that time of the year as far as sun and warmth. But it's always hit and miss in the mountains anywhere. I'll just take my chances I guess

Photos & trip report from our 4 days up there last week is here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130605

mtbr member

more from that area

Taken last weekend.....brrrr
    Attached Images Attached Images

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Nice pictures ..........I assume no bug problem at least.......
    How cool was it during the day?
    Did you stay up there at Spruce Lake for the night or ride down all in 1 day?

Thanks,

"Cool pics!"

I guess with all that snow you probably didn't run into all the mud we did...

So what was the verdict, was it worth it?

How did the new bike work for you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    Nice pictures ..........I assume no bug problem at least.......
    How cool was it during the day?
    Did you stay up there at Spruce Lake for the night or ride down all in 1 day?

Thanks,

We stayed on GunLake and did the ride all in one shot. I wouldn't want to haul all my camping gear up those climbs!!

We got snow during the mid-day, so I guess it was down around the freezing mark. Traction was actually quite good and bugs were non-issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    "Cool pics!"

I guess with all that snow you probably didn't run into all the mud we did...

So what was the verdict, was it worth it?

How did the new bike work for you?
    There was mud in the lowest elevations of our ride, but it wasn't savage. I had fenders, but they were overkill.

Very much worth the effort is my verdict. It was 7hr ride, but the terrain was anything but boring.

New bike was great but I won't be putting it on any more tailgates while going over the Hurley Pass road!! Got a nice dent in the downtube. Guess I need a strap-on downtube pad for travelling to this sort of trip.

Riding in Bralorne is shorter, but very fun as well....

What route did you guys do?

Less mud was probably due to the lower temps.

Ned
    mtbr member
    The snow's coming down pretty good up there today. Snow in my back yard in fact...

Great place to own recreational property! Some day....

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great place to own recreational property! Some day....
    I would have to agree with you CraigH but.........you forgot to add it is also PRICEY out there IMHO.

Ned
    mtbr member
    Tell me what you know about the market up there and I'll choose to agree or disagree on that overpriced comment.

mtbr member
    What route did you guys do?

Less mud was probably due to the lower temps.
    We started about 5min drive up from Tyax lodge, and finished out by Lick Creek. Our Bralorne ride started and ended about 5 mins from town. Bralorne property is cheap!!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned
    Tell me what you know about the market up there and I'll choose to agree or disagree on that overpriced comment.
    No giving up beta on Braelorne shacks with skate park views ned. I scoped out McGillvray Pass and Slim Creek for skiing btw - no pix will ever be posted

Ned
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    No giving up beta on Braelorne shacks with skate park views ned. I scoped out McGillvray Pass and Slim Creek for skiing btw - no pix will ever be posted
    Thanks for keeping the pics low. My skate park BTW.