Singletrack near Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Singletrack near Whistler?

Howdy-ho,
    I'm heading to Whistler from March 26-31. I've heard there is little snow at the lower elevations so MTBing is possible. I'm a XC rider who has moderate freeride abilities (no crazy stunt riding yet).
    Anyone know where I can rent a bike?
    Which trail(s) within "day-trip" driving distance of Whistler are the best to hit?
    Any other good info?

I'm going to Whistler to snowboard, but I'd rather be biking. Hoping to snag some insider info to make the most of my trip.
    Thanks for your help.
    DY

contains quinine
    I was there in Sept: All their summer trail maps include not only the famous "Aline" sort of trails, but also the trails in the valley. I've heard A River Runs Through It, is one to hit, but as it was my honeymoon, I had only one day to hit the trails. You might do some searching on the resort's website and see what you can dig up; here in CO the resorts have both summer and winter trail maps available.

Hope that helps, and definatly get some local knowledge on the trail conditions before you head out..
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    For Whistler trail conditions, check the NSMB.com boards.

I don't know if any of the bike rental places will be set up as it is still theoretically ski season up there.

If for some reason riding in Whistler doesn't work out, head to Squamish. Lots of fantastic XC there. Not sure if there is anywhere to rent in Squamish though. There are a couple of LBS there that you could contact and ask.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Info

This sites have been helpful for me in planning my trip.
    http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/

Some good photos can be found on this site and linked photo galleries:
    http://www.john-stichnoth.com/Whistler.html

This guys site has lots of good photos from Whistler and Squamish.
    http://www.leelau.net/index2004.htm

Another good site with photos of Kill Me Thrill Me. I can't wait to ride that one.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=34575

Enjoy!
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 03-17-2005 at 06:15 PM.

leelau = LeeL who posts over on Passion.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

No Idea

No Idea. Just came across the site from a search on Yahoo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Smile Thanks.

Thanks to all for the links and info. I've checked some of the links and called CrossCountryConnection.bc.ca who are renting bikes already, right out of Whistler Village. Looks like I'm set. I'll be looking to roll over Comfortably Numb 10 days from now. Can't wait.
    Cheers,
    DY

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Post You Return Thoughts

I think I mentioned in my earlier post I'm planning a trip there in early June. Can you post your comments when you return. I'd love to see picture.

Also are you flying to Vancouver or Seattle? How are you getting from the airport to Whistler?

Just roll it......

Very worthy trails

Plan on doing more biking....it's been shite there recently, but the cold weather may be bringing some snow now.

On the westside, the best trails are Cheap Thrills (take the Flank Trail up from Rainbow Park) and Industrial Disease. At the bottom of Cheap Thrills go right and climb back up part of Danimal and then up to Yoda's (left on Yoda's) and head down that. I've heard there's lots of new work taking place there. Of course, further north on the West side is Gargamel.

River Runs Through It is a given, but it's pretty short so if you hit that, pop back out onto the road and head up to do Cheap Thrills after that. Makes for a great day of riding.

Other great trails, Tunnel Vision and Train Wreck (aka, runaway train) which you can do as a combo and are both are near Function Junction. Pemberton and Squamish will be worthwhile too if you're feeling like heading out of Whistler. Cream Puff in Pemberton has an amazing granite section that seems like it goes on forever.

Get ready to be humbled, that's all I can say.....but in a good way!

EB

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

flyin

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Also are you flying to Vancouver or Seattle? How are you getting from the airport to Whistler?
    Flyin to Seattle. I heard the customs flying into Canada is a brutal waste of time. Then renting a van and driving the rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

comfortably numb?

[QUOTE/]Of course, further north on the West side is Gargamel.

River Runs Through It is a given, but it's pretty short so if you hit that, pop back out onto the road and head up to do Cheap Thrills after that.[/QUOTE]

I was told Comfortably Numb was "the" trail to ride if you want an epic. But if I'm on limited time I don't want miss all the other ones. I'll probably only get 2 days of riding.

Just wondering how long River Runs would take me. If I could fit it in with Comf.Numb and some others over two days.
    As for Gargamel, I've never heard of it, but the way your talking it sounds like it's something that's earned a reputation. What's the story?

-D

Snow now down to the village, riding trails now might not even be possible.

Village cam here:
    http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/wea.../excalibur.htm

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Customs Troubles

Flyin to Seattle. I heard the customs flying into Canada is a brutal waste of time."

Have you heard this when taking a bike? Or just general travel? I flown to Vancouver several times, even after 911, and didn't find thing difficult at all. You'll have a harder time getting back in to your own contry than getting into Canada.

If the issue is your bike an customs have you looked into using a shipping company like UPS, Fedex or DHL to ship your bike. Just have the thing shipped to your hotel or condo.