Single Speed Jasper?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Single Speed Jasper?

I plan on another week in Jasper this Sep and was thinking of taking my rigid SS in stead of my old 5 Spot. I guess I'm looking for affirmation that this is not a totally nut job idea. 32/17 26er with a 52 year old moderately fit guy who is not too proud to walk.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I plan on another week in Jasper this Sep and was thinking of taking my rigid SS in stead of my old 5 Spot. I guess I'm looking for affirmation that this is not a totally nut job idea. 32/17 26er with a 52 year old moderately fit guy who is not too proud to walk.
    Talk to the shop guys at Freewheel in Jasper. One in particular rides a fixie all over the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    you should be fine for most stuff.

talk to Chris and the boys at freewheel for some SS friendly ride ideas.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Single Speeds are the ticket here. lots of fast buff rolling trail, once you're on the bench you're flying.

mtbr member
    Well this trip it will be the 98 Kona Explosif coversion. It will be a fun challenge and I'm pretty excited about it.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

Go for it. I run 32 / 20 for hilly rides or long distances but most of the summer is spent on 34 / 19 or 20. Single speed in Jasper is very do-able but you will walk a little. Do it.

mtbr member
    I'm doing it. We will camp at Whistlers and I can hit all the trails without having to drive.

98 Kona Explosif 853
    On-One Carbon Fork
    32-17
    Panaracer 2.35 Rampage tires for extra cush.

I'll try and get some pics this time.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So how did it go? What trails did you ride?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    X2 and where are the pics?

mtbr member
    Got back on Saturday and I'm still recovering from Friday's ride. My wife had the camera the whole time and didn't mtb because of a sore back. I'm a lazy photographer anyway. We camped at Whistlers and I started my rides from there as well. Four rides during our week there.

1. Saturday. Whistlers to Valley of the Five Lakes TH on Highway 93 - # 9 to Wabasso Lake and back, around the lakes, to Old Fort Point, and returned to Whistlers. The single-track to Wabasso Lake from the Five Lakes TH and back (especially) was exceptional. The loop around the 5 lakes was great but some of the climbing to Old Fort Point was too much for me. I saw 4 single speeders on Wabasso Lake trail, the only ones all week. I met some riders from Hardcore bikes and rode with them for part of this ride which was cool.

2. Monday. A variation of # 1 but I had planned 2 loops around the lakes without the Old Fort Point option. I cancelled the 2nd loop due to rain but still had a great ride.

3. Tuesday. I explored some of the bench trails and checked out some single-track off of # 6B up by an old water tower. Good stuff but not as much fun on the single speed as Wabasso Lake / 5 Lakes. Chewed up by horses or lots of momentum sucking roots. A good single speed ride might be an out and back up the West leg of Saturday Night Loop as.

4. Friday I rode to town early, bought breakfast sanwiches from Subway and ate them on the bike on the way to Overlander. Beautiful ride and more ridable on SS than I expected. Obviously I had to walk some steep stuff but it was loads of fun on the old Exolosif.

Lessons Learned.

1. Single speed is fun. I knew this but was intimidated by the bigger hills out in Jasper. Very glad that I did it.

2. Roots and Rocks really kill the climb on a SS.

3. Roots and Rocks are okay if you are going down hill on a rigid bike. I knew this one as well but it was confirmed.

4. Short and wide. Originally had a 90mm stem but swapped to a 70mm after the 1st ride. I had been planning this but have been lazy. Sunline V1 bars at 28" have been on this bike for a while. Control and leveradge.

5. Low PSI. Panaracer Ramapage 2.35 @ 30 PSI. I thought this was too low but I only felt the rear rim one in town on a curb.

Sorry about the pics. These are amazing trails and I encourage anyone to get out and ride them.

My bike;

98 Kona Explosif, Reynolds 853, 18", 23" TT. Very XC frame but tough and can handle a decent tire in the rear.
    On-One Carbon Fork
    Old RF square taper 175mm cranks
    Crank Bros Acid Pedals
    White ENO Eccentric rear hub, Mavic 317 rim
    CK front hub, DT 4.1 rim
    Panaracer 26", 2.35" tires
    70mm stem
    28" low rise bars
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Members who have read this thread: 0