Shipping Used Bike to Canada Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Shipping Used Bike to Canada Help

I will be visiting Victoria, BC next week and was wondering what is the best way to get a bike there. Ship it or take in on the plane? This is a 10 year old bike, so I'm assuming the duty would not be needed, but if you have any info on it I would appreciate it.

Anyone with experience on either please help.

Thanks
    HeadingNorth

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
    I will be visiting Victoria, BC next week and was wondering what is the best way to get a bike there. Ship it or take in on the plane? This is a 10 year old bike, so I'm assuming the duty would not be needed, but if you have any info on it I would appreciate it.

Anyone with experience on either please help.

Thanks
    HeadingNorth

Well Canada Customs or Canada Border Services or whatever they're calling themselves this week make some interesting decisions sometimes. Basically if you send it via Fedex or the Post Office (avoid UPS, they have ridiculous brokerage fees) it can be/will be classed as a commercial shipment with potential duties and taxes. The easiest way to avoid that is to declare a low value on the bike. However if its damaged you can only claim that value. It may be easier to just take it with you on the plane but if you do a search of the forums I'm sure you'll find many horror stories of airlines charging excessive "extra" baggage fees for bikes. There will also be some clever ways to disguise your bike box so the airline thinks its something else.

May 2004
    rent or buy a solid bike box and bring it on the plane. There's a cleverly hidden line in the passenger rules that says that, in addition to your two allotted bags, you are allowed to bring 90lbs of "sports equimpent;" bikes definately qualify. Just do the research to find it in writing and print it so they don't charge you a fee.
    Enjoy Victoria! I hear it's beautiful...