shipping a bike from the states...?- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

shipping a bike from the states...?

anyone here ship an entire bike up from the states? wondering about cost, i want this

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

but don't want to pay over $100 bucks shipping....is this gonna be possible?

thanks!!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Look into Fedex International Air. Brokerage fees are included in the shipping fee. Just Pay the GST and it's your's.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've had frames shipped up, and lots of parts, but not a complete bike.

I've shipped bikes to the states, and it was in the $100 range. If the bike is dismantled and squeezed into as small a box as possible, it will drop the cost somewhat. At the size of a bike, you are paying for volume, not weight.

Make sure it is shipped USPS, not UPS or FedEx. You'll get hit with lots of extra taxes/duties with UPS. USPS is the only way to get things shipped up from the states.

An example: I bought a headset on ebay for $5 that was shipped via UPS for $5 USD. Two weeks later I had a bill in the mail for $45 for brokerage fees. Luckily, they didn't have my name on the invoice, just my gmail address... so that isn't getting paid.

mtbr member
    Fedex Intl Air has the brokerage fees included, nothing extra. I'm not sure that USPS ships bikes.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You're right about USPS not shipping bikes. They're over the size limit. You'd need to dismantle and fit into two boxes to make their limits. I'd bet that would still be cheaper.

I haven't received bikes from the US via Fed Ex, but when I shipped a folding bike, Canada Post was 1/3rd what Fed Ex was charging. Being a folding bike, it was easier to fit into a smaller box, so I could go the postal route.

conjoinicorned
    thanks guys.

unfortunately i'm wanting to ship a 29'er, and apparently it requires a bigger than normal box.

many of the online companies are refusing to ship to canada because of high costs, i'm trying to score a deal with fedex thru work we'll see how that goes...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

KAIZEN!

USPS / Canada Post vs FEDEX

Ferday,

Do a search of my posts as I have talked about this one before. I have brought a complete 26"er from Turner direct up from the US and went FEDEX. Hit by brokerage fee, shipping (over $100 if memory serves me correctly for 1 box!) plus GST.

FEDEX can track your shipment and it is quicker - yet more expensive.

USPS and Canada Post are way cheaper. You will probably have to do 2 boxes. And it will be slower.

Way the pros and cons...

Good luck!
    Dean

Members who have read this thread: 0