Rules and Regulations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Rules and Regulations

As I reported in another thread I'm immanently going to moving to Calgary

what I would like to know is are there any rules on access to trails etc,as in the England most of the trails are classed as footpath and I've just read an article on bike radar talking about the national parks being off limits to Americans and current proposals trying to change that.
    so how do the Canadians stand as I've noticed a few complaints about the city

cheers
    Lee

ups and downs
    A completely different structure in North America, that right of free traverse was never established in North America since it was never feudal and has been based on private property with the right to bar trespassers. A lot of trails are on Crown lands outside of parks.

You can only ride on designated open trails, and you will be hassled or fined if you're riding on trails posted as closed to bikes in any area you find. There are designated hiking and horse trails, but not so many designated as bike trails. I notice that never stops pedestrians from walking on the designated bike paths along the Bow River when the designated pedestrian path is only 10m away.

National parks have generally been closed to any mechanized device (including human powered) on trails except on designated paved trails or roadways (a rule not just for Americans). Provincial parks have some tame trails designated as open to bikes. There have been a number of trails in City parks that have been closed to bikes just because they were waaaaay too much fun on a bike, like the trail on the south slope side of Glenmore reservoir, which created too many hiker/biker conflicts.

Once you connect up with the local riders in Calgary, you'll know where you can and can't ride fairly quickly.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    most of the riding is in Kananaskis were it is pretty well open to bikes. 90% of the trails are old exploration/logging roads that are now almost like single track. you will find out the popular ones pretty quick, but there are a lot of good ones that people don't ride. there is very little for riding in banff national park. lake miniwanka in banff and moraine lake and ross lake trails in lake louise are lots of fun. I think it has been said before in the other thread get the "Backcountry biking to the canadian rockies" book and pm anybody for the forums and you will have a good time and learn the trails pretty quick.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'll get the book when I get there

mtbr member
    I don't know about Calgary, but Calgary's northern neighbor Edmonton is a great place to ride. Any path that is as wide as an average set of handlebars, I think the exact measurment for the law is 50 cm, is open to biking unless there is signage or rope marking the trail as closed.

Edmonton has over 500 km of mountain bike trails that are open.

But I'm not familiar with Calgary's rules.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109
    I don't know about Calgary, but Calgary's northern neighbor Edmonton is a great place to ride. Any path that is as wide as an average set of handlebars, I think the exact measurment for the law is 50 cm, is open to biking unless there is signage or rope marking the trail as closed.

Edmonton has over 500 km of mountain bike trails that are open.

But I'm not familiar with Calgary's rules.

now that sounds cool

Members who have read this thread: 0