Road trip from Calgary to Victoria- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Road trip from Calgary to Victoria

Hey Guys,

My Buddy and I are going a road trip to BC from Calgary in august and are think on stopping at one of the resorts to do some biking, and I am looking for some advise.

We mainly do XC/Single track, honestly I am pretty novice and have only really run the Twelve mile coulee (Tuscany Coulee) in Calgary.

My buddy wants to stop at kicking horse in Golden, however I was reading a bit here and it seems our bikes (and my skill) may not be up to the task.

My Bike,
    2007 Iron Horse Maverick 3.0
    Rock Shox Tora 302 130mm (air)
    Avid BB7 Mech Disk

My Friends
    2009 Kona Blast
    Rock Shox Dart 2 100mm
    Hayes MX 4 Mech Disk

He says it hould be fun going downhill for 20 minutes or more, and I can't really disagree, but not sure our equipment is up to the task.

Also for gear we have Giro road style helemts, some gloves and bike shorts, no armour.

TIA for any advise suggestions.

Carl
    Giant Trance 1 with SRAM XX build 26lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    rent bikes at kicking horse when you get there. You will have more fun, and less chance of breaking you or your bikes.

lots of nice XC in K country, banff, and lake louise before you get to KH too.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    What we ended up doing was a trip to Fernie, picked up leg and arm armour before we left. We ran the greens a few blues and accidently Canada cup... OMG not for hardtails!

It was a really good time, we will likely rent some bikes next time, it was fun and challanging on the hardtails, but we were forced to go slow in a lot of sections, and couldn't realy do to many jumps.

All in all a good time.
    Giant Trance 1 with SRAM XX build 26lbs

Members who have read this thread: 0