Road trip advice please- Mtbr.com
    EdH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Road trip advice please

Hi,

4 of us are spending a week with a guilding company in Whistler at the end of June and then have another week starting and finishing in Vancouver.

We like the idea of renting a motor home and travelling this way, spending a few days in different places. Mainly riding but a bit of hiking/other touristy stuff would be good.

Two of us are fairly competent riders but our girlfriends are less experienced so we need a mix of trails. Also a mix of lift assisted and natural riding.

Anyone got experience of such a trip? Motorhome rental company recommendations?

Where would people recommend riding given our available time? Pemberton and Squamish look good so far.

Any advice gratefully received, cheers.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pemberton and Squamish would be good for riding. Squamish would be better in mid-summer. Pemberton is best now and gets dry and dusty mid-summer. Squamish has lots of trail variety

As for Motorhomes http://www.go-west.com/ - is everywhere. If you can use the motorhome in Whistler, park it in the campground with the RV hookups and spend the saved money on bike parts or whatever.

The Motorhome will suck for shuttle rides and will really suck for gravel roads
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

EdH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the reply LeeL,

Motorhome booked. Being picked up and dropped off in Vancouver.

We were thinking of Squamish, Pemberton, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, and Rossland.

We've got 7 nights and want a mix of longish trail rides and some park riding.

Anyone got any views on this as a plan for the end of June/early July?

Are the 2 parks likely to be fully open? Any good guild books to recommend?

Many thanks for any advice,

Ed

ups and downs
    Whistler Bike Park opened this weekend. Sun Peaks lift access starts June 27. Silver Star opens June 25.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdH
    We were thinking of Squamish, Pemberton, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, and Rossland.

We've got 7 nights and want a mix of longish trail rides and some park riding.

Anyone got any views on this as a plan for the end of June/early July?

Many thanks for any advice,

Ed
    Lets just look at this.
    You got 7 nights and the day you pick up the wheels and drop it off are almost lost days. At most you got half a day for traveling on the first day and the last day.
    (Depends when you pick the wheels up and when you have to return it.)
    So you got 6 full days.

With your list of locations you got alot of distance to cover in a short amount of time and you want to ride too.
    You can spend 1 day in each of you locations very easily and you still have to travel. Unless you are travelling throught the night which I doubt.

For example it takes you 8-9 hours to travel from Vancouver to Rossland with a moterhome.

IMHO I would check your schedule and maybe spend more time biking in one location instead of driving around. Depends if you want to drive alot or bike alot.

Just my 0.02 cents.

EMBA Board member
    It looks to me like rossland is way off your route, Squamish, whistler, pemberton, silverstar all can be from one to the other traveled And to get to silverstar your going through Kamloops, you should hit the ranch and skip Rossland. and what about the north shore? if your in vancouver anyway to pick up the moter home?

EdH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cheers for the replies,

We weren't thinking of visting all those places, it was more of a short list. Definately want more riding than driving!

I hadn't appreciated that Rossland was quite so far - perhaps too far given our available time.

Maybe 2 days in each of vancouver/north shore, Pemberton, and Silver star?

What do people think of this as a plan? We probably won't get another chance to ride in Canada so want to get the best out of our time there.

Not entirely sure what to expect weather wise - could this affect the best places to vists around the end of june, early july?

Thanks again

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Hey EdH,

Couple of things.
    If it were my trip I would take out Silver Star and spend 2 days in Squamish.
    So start in Vancouver/North Shore --> Squamish --> and Pemberton.
    A lot less travel and tons of riding options.

Not sure if you are aware of it;
    Nothing against Silver Star but it is a bit out of your way considering you don't have a lot of time. From Pemberton I believe it is about 3-4 hours to get there. (Maybe check into that.......)
    If you are Pemberton and want to go to Silver Star take the back way which follows along the Duffy Lake Road (Hwy 99) to Lillooet on to Cache Creek and Kamloops. From Kamloops take #1 Hwy East till you hit Hwy 97 and down to Vernon. Alot quicker then going through Vancouver then Vernon.

Just my 0.02 cents

mtbr member
    Depending on how much you like riding on super steep stuff, you may want to skip Pemby. It gets pretty bony by summer, and it's tough to ride. Pemberton is best early and late.

Squamish is pretty good for AM riding, but only so-so for freeride. If you're really jonesin' for some coastal rainforest action, it's tough to beat the Sunshine Coast. Sort of expensive to take a motorhome across on the ferry, but it really is the best zone for North Shore style singletrack. Even better than the original Shore.

If you're coming inland, there's a solid week of great singletrack between Kamloops, Kelowna, and Penticton. Really, there's two weeks in there, but if you're going to stick to the best of the best, a week is pretty rad.

I'm assuming that your week in Whistler will include Squamish and Pemby anyway, so you might want to consider going straight to the Interior. Feel free to PM or email me for more detailed beta.

Members who have read this thread: 0