Riding on Vancouver Island- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Riding on Vancouver Island

I'm making a Whistler trip and am planning on spending a few days on Vancouver Island as well. What are good areas for All Mountain or XC riding? Thanks!!!

Mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Victoria has Hartland, and Duncan has Mt. Prevost and Mt. Tzouhalem, but there are a whole load of options midway up the island. Cumberland and Comox Lake (Courtenay) have great All Mountain trails with long climbs (Two Sheiks can be shuttled from Forbidden Plateau), and Campbell River has a massive XC forest singletrack network. Gold River also has a good XC system in the forest with freeride stunts.

Riding Fool Hostel in Cumberland is on the web and would be a good base for riding this area.

Gear Whore
    Yeah, lots of great riding on the island. On my site in the links area I have a database of all the shops on the island, so if you decide to come over I would call a shop in the area and see if they can help.

Really...just about everywhere on the island has good riding, but as Gold said...Riding fool is a GREAT place to call your base of operations...maybe even head over to Hornby island (some sweet...sweet...sweet...singletrack over there).

Anyway if you need maps I can find a map for just about anyplace on the island....just send me an email [email protected].

Hope you have a great trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you for the suggestions. We will definitely have to check out the Cumberland and Comox Lake area, that type of riding sounds perfect!
    Right now we are planning on staying in Qualicum Beach and taking day trips out to different areas of the island. The more I investigate different areas the harder it is to decide where to go; we are only going to be on the island for four days.
    mudpuppy, thanks for the offer for the maps. I may take you up on that offer as our trip approaches (we are going in June). By the way your website is great!

Gear Whore
    Thanks Mr. K....always good to hear good things about the site, we are currently working on some rather large changes...so hopefully soon (in biker talk...this could mean "maybe this year"...lol) there will be a whole new look and new stuff to play with.

I would definitely hit up Hornby for a day, The more I think of it the more I want to hit it up again, sweet flowy, smooth, fast trails...mmmMMMMmm.

Cumberland is fun, just stop in at Dodge City Cycles and grab a map and ride straight from the shop to the trails (If I were to move, this is where I would go) and after head to the lake for a swim.

Nanaimo has lots of trails too, have not ridden them yet, but from what I hear there is some really fun stuff.

If you want to go as low as Duncan, hit up the Tzou....good times and a great view from the top.

I could go on and on...

Also some other great Island sites:

www.vimb.com
    www.sooketrails.com
    www.simbs.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm going to be in the Nanaimo area for the May long weekend and would like some recomendations for an epic can't miss ride. So far what I've figured out is that there is: the Hammerfest XC Race Course around Englishman River Falls park; trails around Top Bridge Park built & maintained by the AMC; Mt Zoo in Duncan; and this trail map http://www.island.net/~pmcgarri/Nanaimo.PDF . Can anyone recommend a good epic XC ride? Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0