Riding in Vancouver - is it all North Shore?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Riding in Vancouver - is it all North Shore?

Hi there, I'm from the UK and I was wondering...

I'm no hucker or stunt rider, so I was wondering if there were more than North Shore style trails there?

I like fast, aggressive XC type riding or AM to coin a phrase!

Looking forward to your replies and any pics you can show me would be great thanks!

J
    Last edited by Just J; 09-02-2006 at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There's lots of xc / all mountain stuff out here. Depending on when you're arriving, you'll be in good shape to check out the trails in Squamish and around Whistler. There's plenty of tech stuff east of Vancouver that could keep you busy for a few weeks (Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Mission). September is usually an awesome month for riding.

Even Fromme, the center of the 'Shore universe' has some good technical runs (Seventh Secret) that sees xc bikes on a regular basis.

Local shops should have maps of all these places.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, just another quick question, if you're in Vancouver West for example, or the the conurbation areas, are there local trails near to you or do you have to drive to the trail head?

It's hard getting my barings but anything you can tell me would be helpfull...
    Last edited by Just J; 09-02-2006 at 12:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I live about 40km east of Vancouver, but if you want to be close to 'The Shore' and Squamish, North Vancouver and West Vancouver. Pricey part of the area though.

In those spots, you'd be able to ride to the trails in North Vancouver and be about an hour away from Squamish. 90-120 minutes away from Whistler, depending on how fast you drive.

Great spot for road riding too.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Sounds good, thanks
    Last edited by Just J; 09-02-2006 at 12:44 AM.

mtbr member

Vancouver Living..

Hey, my wife and I just moved here and have been apt hunting. We found that the Lonsdale area of North Vancouver has the best prices. Its' on the North Shore AND 10 minutes from downtown Vancouver by water ferry. Cool neighborhood, with good hangouts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemanla
    Hey, my wife and I just moved here and have been apt hunting. We found that the Lonsdale area of North Vancouver has the best prices. Its' on the North Shore AND 10 minutes from downtown Vancouver by water ferry. Cool neighborhood, with good hangouts!
    Hi, sounds good, thanks for the info.

Enjoy Vancouver!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If you are looking for non-shore type trails, there are a couple of other areas with trails too.

Burnaby Mountain (border of Burnaby & Coquitlam) & Delta Watershed (North Delta).

As for accomidation, generally the closer you get to downtown the more expensive it gets.

It also depends on if you are renting or buying.

If you are moving here to work, you might want to find something relatively close to your work to start. You can burn up many hours a day commuting in the GVRD.

Here is a general map of the GVRD to give you an overview.

https://exchangezones.com/sites/wlm1...couver_Map.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks Craig that will help a lot

Nov 2004
    Thinking of moving there 'Just J'?

Jun 2006
    GO NORTH

Hey buddy, if you go north of Van [ like towards Hope ] you'll find a ton of XC stuff. They hold dirtbiking XC events in that area and people come from all over BC, AB and even the states to ride there. Thats how good it is!

TAKE IT EASY

mtbr member
    Thanks Workman!

ups and downs
    It depends on your definition of aggressive XC versus shore stuff too. This is a shot of the Bridal Path on Seymour on the North Shore, this is one of the more XC north shore trails (this picture is looking up BTW), eye level would be just below the two rocks on the left side of the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WORKMAN
    GO NORTH

Hey buddy, if you go north of Van [ like towards Hope ] ...
    Small point, but Hope is East of Vancouver.

North of Vancouver is Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, etc.

Jan 2007
    XC and AM means something different here than it does in, say, California. The photo of the bridal path trail is pretty much the smoothest trail on the north shore except for the roads.
    A good bunch of trails for you to get a feel for the steeps without a lot of ladders, drops etc would be Burnaby Mountain at SFU. Nichole's Trail there is pretty good and moderately technical and is accessible all year round. Like the posters before said, Squamish is the best bet for AM riding and the trails up there are endless. Try Crumpit Woods or look for the "Test of Metal" racecourse. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    South Surrey bike park has some super fun singletrack. There's great "XC" riding all over BC, it's just a bit more aggressive than other areas.

Members who have read this thread: 0