Riding and Rental Victoria and Vancouver- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Riding and Rental Victoria and Vancouver

On a family trip and will be spending a few days in both Victoria and Vancouver. I can get a day of riding in at each location. Any recommendations on where to rent a bike and where to ride? I have a car but it would be best if my wife could drop me off at a shop and I could ride from there so that she can have the car for the day. I am fairly fit and solid on intermediate/advanced technical terrain.

Thanks,

UNT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken View Post
    On a family trip and will be spending a few days in both Victoria and Vancouver. I can get a day of riding in at each location. Any recommendations on where to rent a bike and where to ride? I have a car but it would be best if my wife could drop me off at a shop and I could ride from there so that she can have the car for the day. I am fairly fit and solid on intermediate/advanced technical terrain.

Thanks,

UNT
    Victoria rent from oak Bay bikes, ride at hartland if you want to stay close to Victoria (still a short drive) or if you can make a day of it the riding in the cowichan valley (1 hour drive) is awesome, could rent from a shop up there if that's the plan.
    Vancouver rent from endless biking and ride at Fromme or Seymour. They do guiding/tours etc as well so that's an option to make things easier. You could get dropped at the shop fromme isn't far but up a big hill, maybe get a lift over to the trails too so you don't start off tired.

You should talk everyone into a day or two in Whistler, something for everyone there just as much for non bikers and really easy to rent a bike and go for a ride, whether in the bike park or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. Exactly the information I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Might be too late but I'll add my $0.02 on Victoria anyhow..

I'll 2nd Oak Bay Bikes for Victoria. They are a great shop and I'm pretty sure they are the only one that does rentals of real bikes (plenty of town bike rentals around Victoria, because tourist town). Your options will be a norco sight or fluid (go with the Sight if you plan to ride downhill fast). You could ask about them dropping you off at Hartland (they do shuttle bikes around since they do pickup/delivery for bike repairs).

Hartland is well mapped on Trail Forks and there is lots of riding there Mt Work and Partridge hills. Partridge hills isn't well mapped on TF though (heat maps show you where people actually ride there). I'd stick to the mapped trails and bring your phone with trail forks. The trails are fairly well labelled and you can get paper maps, and the local trail society does a good job of fixing trail braids etc, but it's still possible to get turned around.

If you were going up island there are other areas to ride and more rental options. E.g. 45 minutes up island (Duncan area) is Mt Tzouhalem, which is quite popular. Cowichan Cycles has a bunch of cool rental/demo options that are suited to the area (SC/Ibis/Norco). Cycle Therapy has RM Instincts available.