Riding in Kelowna/Penticton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Riding in Kelowna/Penticton

Hey there guys I' heading to Kelowna then Penticton this following week and still thinking about whether or not to bring the bike. I would consider myself a beginner and Im just looking for some scenic XC rides maybe a bit of technical challenge however nothing to crazy as I will likely be riding solo.

So anyways just wondering if you fine fellas and ladies could recommend some trails to ride up there that you feel aren't to challenging but are definitely worth hitting up while I'm there and where to find them. Also if there's any local bike shops that could give me some insight if you could send me in there direction that would be great. Thanks in advance for your help

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Head to the Bike Barn in Penticton they are a great bike shop they will have some maps for local trails.

I head back to Penticton about once a month to ride the Three Blind Mice area in Naramata which is killer. If you stuck to the basic loops there you would have a good time. The Barn has maps of that area and you could spend days out there and never hit the same trails so you should be set there. The views are nice also.

mtbr member
    Smith Creek in West Kelowna. Have to go early in he day to beat the heat though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    Smith Creek in West Kelowna. Have to go early in he day to beat the heat though.
    Lovin the heat this year - you have ALL the trails to yourself! Just think, in about 2 months we will all be complaining that it is too cold to ride

PS
    Smoke, glad to hear the trails did not get hit by the fires. My Old Man sent me a photo of the fire in Westbank. - the fire was 450 yards from his front door, lucky for him the wind shifted and the fire went the other direction

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Okanagan Mountain might be an appropriate ride considering the fires in the area. The trail is in the Provincial Park between Kelowna and Penticton. Ride through the burn area of the massive 2003 fire. Or how about Three Blind Mice located on the benchlands above Naramata. It's gonna be a hot ride whatever you choose.

Bike Barn, definitely.

mtbr member
    OK Mtn is not for the faint of heart. The southern half of the ride was heavily impacted by the 2003 fires. the heat was intense enough that in places the bedrock underneath the trail exploded.

Makes it tough to follow sometimes....

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Thanks JS, didn't know that. Wild Horse Canyon trail rideable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the input guys will definetly check out Bike Barn. However still debating whether I should lug my own bike out or rent one does Bike Barn do rentals. Seeing as how it will be extremely hot I dont really wanna haul my bike out there just for one or two days of riding so if Bike Barn doesnt do rentals what what be my best bet for that route and if you do know any idea on what the pricing is for a day rental. Thanks again guys 2 days till Im soaking up the sun there

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    No rentals at Bike Barn.

mtbr member
    Freedom has rentals. http://freedombikeshop.com

The Wildhorse Canyon proper is fine. I rode it last year, but you access that from the Kelowna side. Out and back to Commando Bay for a swim, it's a nice ride.

Some of the gang at Kelowna Cycles rode the southern half of the Wildhorse last year, and said it was a death march, but I don't nec. trust their judgement. What seems to be clear is that it's not the flowinig singletrack that it once was.

mtb'er
    *bump*

Just checking to see if there are any new updates, insights or suggestions to this old thread.

My girlfriend is doing Ironman this year. I'll be in Penticton and looking to ride dirt, whether it be solo or hooking up with others. Aug 23, 24 & 25 are my best windows to ride... anyone want to play trail boss? I'm a solid XC/AM/adventure rider.... unafraid of miles, climbing, technical and heat.

Otherwise, please let me know your "Top 3 Must-Do Rides" within an hour's drive from Penticton. I'd appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Awwww.....I'm busy those dates. But I can point you in the right direction at least.

3 Blind Mice is your go to zone. 200+km in there for you to hit up. Shuttle access or ride up. About 3000' of vertical available, so you can keep pretty busy.

There's also some very nice routes up at Apex, the notable one being Sheep Rocks. There's one tricky spot for navigation, the rest of it is simple.

Finally, there's Rock Oven, and a bunch of other stuff around the Skaha climbing area. More technical and quite demanding at times, but wickedly scenic.

Freedom Bike Shop on Main St has maps and it's a decent spot to link up with riders. The Bike Barn is cool too, but I gotta plug my homies at Freedom.

mtb'er
    Thanks JS!

I'll definitely check in with Freedom. With a map and my Garmin, I'm a good route finder.
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 08-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.

mtb'er
    Not a lot of help from locals on this thread... thanks Johnny Smoke for the info. For future searchers/inquiries, I'll say Penticton is a fantastic place to ride... fun and varied trails. Great town/area/people too!

Rock Oven is friggin sweet... climb isn't too bad and the views, slickrock and technical descent are really great!

If you've done your homework, you've seen a version of this before. (not bad for a self-timer shot though )

The 3 Blind Mice area is endless fun. From loamy singletrack, to slickrock, to ladder features, to swooooooopy zig zags.... there's enough there to keep you busy for days. Almost too much. It would be great to ride with a local that knows where you should go left or right.

Gerry's/Jerry's was nice too... more dusty than the others, but good stuff. Separatist from the top was a gem... challenging and fun. I love trails like that. Lots more swoopy goodness on what Strava calls "Lisa's Trail".

pm me if you'd like garmin tracks.
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 08-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0