Riding in Edmonton - the "winter" 2009 thread- Mtbr.com
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton - the "winter" 2009 thread

Ok....320+ posts in the fall thread, I guess it is time to move on to winter (Just don't tell Mother Nature, or she'll hit us with snow).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No way....it's still fall riding for at least the next week.......14C tomorrow!

</runs to bump the fall thread>

mtbr member
    I will not be posting here until the snow is here to stay... now get back to the Fall thread!!
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...we'll this thead had to start sometime

Double-metric mtb man
    I guess we need to resurrect this thread now

rides with camera
    Blame me ! I finally took the Mojo in for some much needed "post Colorado maintenence" thinking it has been too nice and I could probably get a few rides on the duallie before it snows .

Oh well , I`ll break out the winter bike for now , going to go check out the new and unimproved trail conditions
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Killer ride today - We started at Da Capo Cafe and headed our to Terwillegar, rode there for about 40 minutes and then back to Da Capo. Trails are in excellent condition!

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    Killer ride today - We started at Da Capo Cafe and headed our to Terwillegar, rode there for about 40 minutes and then back to Da Capo. Trails are in excellent condition!

Where is Da Capo Cafe ? I wish it would just stay cold now . This upcoming warm weather is going to turn the trails to shite
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Da Capo is across the street from redbike but facing 109 St. Sunday rides leave from there at 11:00 every week.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I'm currently working as a bike courier, and I'm in my last week of a two week stint. Fun work so far, pay is so-so, but I get to ride most of the day!

Haven't been out on the trails much, but luckily I hit up Ft. Sask on the 'cross bike before it snowed. Primo late season trail. I need to ride there more often considering it takes me just as long to drive to Terwillegar as it does to Ft. Sask!

Is everyone signing up for the RVC Christmas Party? There were plenty of good deals last year.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

rides with camera
    Has anyone been out today ? I`m curious what the rain did to the trails .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Double-metric mtb man
    F'n Brrrrrr!!!! -53.6 overnight! WTF's up with that?! Maybe by Sat. we can get out on the trails again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    F'n Brrrrrr!!!! -53.6 overnight! WTF's up with that?! Maybe by Sat. we can get out on the trails again.

I find it better to quote temps without windchill, then add it in at 30 km/h (bike riding speed).

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...with where I live, any riding would be into the wind, so that would've been my starting point. F'n brrrr anyway you look at it!

mtbr member
    Awe come on, you mean non of you guys have been out riding today? Temps are dropping everywhere around the world north of the equator, heck we dropped down to a high of 28C here today. When I went out about an hour or so ago to run a quick errand it was right before it rained and temps felt like about 25 or 26C, downright chilly I tell you
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Exams, cold, laziness, and IT band inflammation have all conspired to keep my off my bike. I've been on my trainer twice since the snow hit for real. I need to get my **** together. I'm hoping to do some good training for 60-90 minutes 3 days a week. But I doubt that will happen.

Although I hope there are some decent tracks set. It should be a great weekend for XC skiing.

mtbr member
    That is my plan - my plan to do a lot of XC skiing last year was about as good as my other plan to train over the winter. This winter I have been putting in 3 hrs/week on the trainer plus some gym work each week. If I can add 2hrs+ of XC sking each week I should be ready to ick some @$$ come May

rides with camera
    Finally ! first ride in just over two weeks . Been sick and working lots (what an awesome combo ) The nice warm temps and fresh snow made for a great morning !

Anybody here lucky enough to ride a Pugsly ? That would be awesome in this snow !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Double-metric mtb man
    I know 65'er was lusting after one at one point, but I don't think he ever pulled the trigger. I've seen a couple out there. I may try the 'cross bike in the snow this afternoon (cut through vs float on top like a Pug).

mtbr member
    Hey guys, just wanted to say hi. Finally back up in the good old cool North for a few weeks, didn't wory to bring my bike. Arrived Xmas morning and was rerouted to Calgary to wait out the nice ice fog. So far enjoying the temps, Powder Ridge jacket is working nice Here we are out sleding on Xmas day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-dscf0135.jpg  

You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Double-metric mtb man
    Woohoo...cross bike in the snow today!! Ok, it's not a mtb, but it handled the streets and paved trails better, while the MUT was a wash...the ice fog made it hard to stay in the packed area anyway. Of the path, gimme my mtb.

I was surprised, though....stuff just off the path was past the hubs on the 29er wheels (ok, 700c....same difference)...had a nice slo-mo endo as a result. Drop bars are not the nicest if you're going over them

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Sorry for being slow on here. I've been busy with school and work. And thanks to work, I may end up ordering a Surly 1x1 frameset. =)
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    *double post*
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Might be out saturday for a ride since they're calling for above 0. Although that could change. Still plan on making it out though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice weather for snow riding.......

My winter build is almost done.....I just need a fork. Anyone have an old steel fork with disc tabs they want to sell me?

mtbr member
    I went xc skiing yesterday and it hurt. I'm out of shape.

I'm thinking of taking the trainer tire off my hardtail, putting some nevegals on and going for a ride tomorrow. It should pretty pretty messy but it'll be nice to ride again.

mtbr member
    Dana - depending on the time I would be interested in joining you...

mtbr member
    oh hey Gord. I didn't see that until I got back. I had a great ride. I ran into two cyclists and tagged along with them. We went from kinsmen over through ewok and then to the capilano and back. I tried a few sections of singletrack some were great and others were super sketchy.

rides with camera

Some guy went running by my house this morning

I got some pics from the "run" as it passed through town this morning . I have to admit it was kinda cool to see . I guess I`ll go back to not caring about the Olympics now

Oh yes ......................There was a bike sighting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-olympictorch117.jpg  

Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-olympictorch123.jpg  

Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-olympictorch130.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    LOL Yeah, I saw that same guy too How weird Also noticed the snuffer of the flame on her RM MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    I got some pics from the "run" as it passed through town this morning . I have to admit it was kinda cool to see . I guess I`ll go back to not caring about the Olympics now

Oh yes ......................There was a bike sighting

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    LOL Yeah, I saw that same guy too How weird Also noticed the snuffer of the flame on her RM MTB.
    Holy s**t small world !

You must have been standing right by us ! That`s funny cause your picture from Christmas is alot more familier now .

That is weird buddy ! Weird ! I live a few houses down from the ring road .

Crazy !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I was actually on the other side of the road by the school kids - my niece goes there - so was keeping an eye on her and being there with her. Crossed over to try and get a shot of the flame going by her and her class, but failed pretty much Flame was passed right infront of my sister (her Mum) in front of the school - she got some good pics of it.

Sadly was wishing for a nice PUGs to go snow riding while I was there, but no such luck. Also got myself a nice sinus infection which kept me home bound for about 10 days

Holy s**t small world !

You must have been standing right by us ! That`s funny cause your picture from Christmas is alot more familier now .

That is weird buddy ! Weird ! I live a few houses down from the ring road .

Crazy !

mtbr member
    Trails are in great shape. There were six of us out yesterday and we weaved ourselves from Kinsmen to the Capilano bridge and back. Sounds like we will be doing it again next Sunday if anyone is interested in joining.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well today was snowy and many of the paths I was on haven't been touched, but I hauled out the Cx bike for a little spin in Millwoods today. Cross tires seem to cut through this crap pretty well, but I still hate the car-induced "plate snow" you get on the roads...shifty crap.

It wasn't a long ride, but it sure was needed. Now I just need the other parts I ordered so I can do some wheel building while we still have snow this winter.

mtbr member
    Another ride planned for Sunday - 12:00 from DeCapo. Should be good!

mtbr member
    it's going to be brutal out there with this new snow. should be fun.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Working on one of my two bikes. (The one before I got the cannondale). Took it to the shop, layed down some primer. Brought it home, sanded it with 600, spotted in the area's I burned through, hit that with a red scuff pad and sprayed it with satin black bumper coating. The cannondale is going to be sprayed at the shop. Other than that, no rides lately, been too busy. Need to make up some cash so I can order parts for the SS.(black bike)

mtbr member
    I've been riding the last few sundays with Gord and our friend Sheldon. The trails are amazing. Mckinnon root trail is ridable and lots of fun.

http://blog.bikeridr.com/2010/01/winter-riding/

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109
    I've been riding the last few sundays with Gord and our friend Sheldon. The trails are amazing. Mckinnon root trail is ridable and lots of fun.

http://blog.bikeridr.com/2010/01/winter-riding/
    Good to hear about the trails . I haven`t been out in a while . Hopefully gonna break the curse by this weekend . Mckinnon sounds tempting , your buddy is riding in the Transrockies I see . Good stuff ! I know that is one toughass race , hopefully he does well ! Any of you guys signing up ? I might be forced into racing this year , some friends are going in 24 hrs / Canmore . It should be interesting .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bike Headlight

I know there were discussions about night riding in the fall thread, and thought there might still be some interest.

I stumbled across this when looking for some other stuff, and thought I'd post it here in case anyone was interested.
    HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
    The reviews on the site are pretty positive.

Rob

mtbr member
    I think gord has those.

Night riding is so much fun.

mtbr member
    I would recommend getting those lights from geomangear.com - Geoman is really active in the GPS and Lights forums and stands behind the products he sells. And yes, these lights are excellent. I use two - one on my helmet, one on the bar - and there is no shortage of light. Jkirkpatri uses 3 and it is like riding in daylight!

mtbr member
    Interclub Group ride on Sunday - 12:00 start from DeCapo Cafe. Come on out!

Double-metric mtb man
    Ok...if you see someone riding around in a very unique jersey this spring, you'll know it is me...

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Hey Guys, Been riding more lately. Plus, Got another bike. Was with a buddy of mine and we saw a guy throwing a bike into the dumpster, we asked him if we could take it instead of it being garbaged. Only work I need to do with it at the moment is change out the rear tire and tube with one of my spares. Other than that, for something we got for free, its awesome. Should be a good commuter/spare trail bike.

mtbr member
    Spring is here!! Well, in my mind it has now arrived. I just picked up my new bike and the snow can't disappear fast enough to get it out on the trails! I got one of the last Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 SEs left and I am extremely impressed. I will post some pics soon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's so nice outside, itching to get back on the bike. Early spring maybe? *knocks on wood*

Hopefully things start to dry up

mtbr member
    why wait. Get out there on a bike today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hah maybe I will. Funny enough I have no problem running outside no matter what the weather but a little snow on the ground makes me not want to touch my bike.

Double-metric mtb man
    It was great riding today...a little slick on the skinny knobbys (Cx bike) but I managed a little 25 km ride

mtbr member
    I went out on my hardtail and I don't have a computer on my hardtail. But I went out for 2.5 hours today. It was a good ride. I bonked a bit at the end, but it was nice out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To the guys who have a magicshine.......how long did it take to ship here? And did you have to pay any duty/handling fees?

Thanks.

I hope everyone is out and enjoying this weather.......

mtbr member
    How long it takes depends on who you order through and level of shipping you selected. I ordered from GeoManGear and the first order was 6 business days, second was 10 business days. I think I had to pay GST the first order, duty and GST the second order. That seems to depend on the customs agent and what type of day they are having :/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks gord, I ordered from geoman also.

Looking forward to trying out this light.

mtbr member
    First batch was about 4 days. Second batch was about 8 days, but they were out of stock when I ordered. I used Geoman too. I had no handling fees to pay, just the international shipping of ~$20 off of Geoman's site.

mtbr member
    Here are a couple pics from a few weeks ago that I am finally getting around to posting. I still have to get the new RM on film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-mill-creek-2010-1.jpg  

Riding in Edmonton - the &quot;winter&quot; 2009 thread-mill-creek-2010-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here are a couple pics from a few weeks ago that I am finally getting around to posting. I still have to get the new RM on film.
    Hmm....trying to figure out where those are........science center?

Got my magic shine today......seems like a nice light (backyard test). It's a little brighter than my amoeba, hopefully it performs as well.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have suggestions for a good tire for a noob in Edmonton.

I just found a pretty good deal on a Gary Fisher Piranha. My wife is all excited about the matte rootbeer colour, not the components (she cares more if the bike is pretty). I really want to encourage her to mountain bike. But the Bontrager Jones XR, look like they would suck, and not be very confidence inspiring for a new mountain biker. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of trying to swap them out for a pair of nevegals or something with big confidence inspiring knobs. My wife is not confident on trails and i need everything to help her feel more confident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've found the nevegals (2.1??) to be a pretty good all round tire, they also have a nevegal with a stick-E compound for improved grip IIRC.

Not a super light/low rolling resistance choice, but a good tire for the area IMO.

Another tire that I liked was the schwalbe nobby nic (2.2??) and the continental mountain king (2.4??).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    Hmm....trying to figure out where those are........science center?
    They were taken in the north end of Mill Creek.

rides with camera
    They were taken in the north end of Mill Creek.

I was going to guess Terwilliger . The River Valley pretty much all looks the same in the dead of winter
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    slowly finishing the F8. Took an old derailler and ghetto rigged the bike as an SS. Need a headset and it's rideable for me. Anyone have on lying around I can buy for cheap?

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Rogers
    Weather is getting pretty good, fresh and warm at teh same time.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Indeed...this morning the wind + snow almost scoured my face off.......

*edit*

Just noticed his location is Detroit.....

Members who have read this thread: 0