Riding in Edmonton Vol2- Mtbr.com
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton Vol2

Just thought I'd start another thread so things can keep chugging along without having to sift through 3 pages...
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I shall be there! With a clean and shiny bike - getting around to that tomorrow, finally. I haven't washed any of the Terwillegar dirt of it yet.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Double-metric mtb man
    Btw, 65'er...

Speaking of keeping up (with a draft) on the road....I'm thinking I might try an ice cream run (hey, I can't do a milk run...I ride a Cake, so it has to be cake and ice cream ) out to Stony on the long weekend. I don't know how many km's it'll be, but I'm sure it'll be a workout

Mar 2006
    i was wondering if anyone wants to go biking on sunday with me...the more the merrier!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ya I need someone to bike with too Edmonton chick how old are you?

Double-metric mtb man
    Depends on where and when on Sunday. I have been trying to get out to the 53rd Ave and Whitemud area on Sundays....so if it is either in Mill Creek or Terwillegar and later in the day, I may be able to tag along...

Jun 2006
    anyone ever rode Devon? I heard there is some good stuff out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootin

Where is Devon?

Just back from holidays In Kananaskis and Panorama, WOW!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Take the Yellowhead out to Highway 60, go south across the bridge, then take first left into Devon (I think). Go back down the hill to the boat launch/picnic area, and you can park in the parking lot.

Devon is an interesting mix of trails. Some of the lower stuff by the river is washed out, and it's not maintained. However, if you climb up and out towards the golf course, the trails get better. There's some good singletrack, and some rollercoaster multi-use cross-country ski trails. There is one super-gnarly short downhill section, too, and some cool hoodoos. It's worth the trip once a year, I think. Just don't ride it on the hottest day of the year, solo, like I did.

Here are some random Devon pics, along with two pics of me with my truck (got it in June).

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'd love to get together for a Sunday ride and the old Kuwahara will be ready as soon as I can get down and pick up some new grips and get some of the grit out of the driveline.

I won't be able to head anywhere until later in the afternoon as I just came off the night shift and need some beauty sleep but anything past 2-ish should work just fine.

I think a few folks here have my cel number so feel free to ring me after 1 pm.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    BTW... I'm pretty gobsmacked at the deal I got on the Kuwie as besides that glorious Ishiwata frame it's been equipped with Deore Cranks, a new cartridge BB, new lower and middle chainrings (the round kind), and Exage 300 and 400 series LX derailleurs (they shift like warm butter). It even has the original Deore thumb shifter which makes me a really happy camper.

I'm off to take a wee little nap and hope to catch up with some of you later for some riding... I have to hit MEC (102 Ave and 124 Street) to get those new grips so perhaps that would be a good meeting spot since it's pretty central.

I figure the boy will be coming along and I'll let him saddle up Jenny (my Trek) for the ride.

Cheers!
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been out to Devon a few times. It's likely been 5 years since I've been there. I have a friend that grew up there and showed me some of the trails. A lot of them are gone now with new housing development, but there is a lot of singletrack along the river.

2ish sounds good to me. Where and when?

I have to hit MEC for some SPD's for the Bianchi. 2pm @ MEC works for me, if I can get away from the family today... don't wait for me if I'm not there.

Mar 2006
    so after all that i wont be able to go today but have fun to whoever else does go...i hope to finally get out soon though, i start my holidays on wednesday morning!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm just having my "morning" coffee and charging up on some tasty Danishes...

If I can get away I can hit MEC by 2:00 - 2:30 and it won't take me more than a few minutes to get the Kuwie rigged once I get the parts I need.

Excel - Feel free to stop by on yor way to MEC... I'll be in the garage or the yard getting the bike all clean and shiny.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Alrighty, I'm off to MEC...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    checked out rabbit hill very fun

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll be heading down to Terwillegar for about 8pm...I'm riding down, so I'm leaving here about 7:15 or so. If anyone is down that way and sees a fellah on a blue GF Cake, feel free to say hi.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll have to check out Rabbit Hill soon....I have a 2 for 1 card from one of the FlowRiders from Capital Ex I haven't been able to use yet....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ya check it out its good for everyone i missed the capital ex thing was it good?

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I did a loop at Terwillegar tonight ....nice place to ride with lots of good MUT's (as in not golf cart trail groomed by the city....but rather more like connected doubletrack) and tons of singletrack. I didn't do too much exploring (just one loop) as I still had to ride home, but what I saw was great...I can see why they hold races there. That climb out to Whitemud Rd. is a good workout

On a personal triumph side....during the final 4 km of my 38+km ride tonight, I decided to tackle Walterdale Hill. It may not be the steepest hill in town, but it is dang long. I made it, though (woohoo for me)!

Cycle: The Flowriders were doing freeride / stunts near the Agricom...some of it was pretty sick stuff. They were doing jumps and had a good 15' high, 3 run stunt set-up. The lower set-up included a bunch of linked teeter-totters, the mid set-up had a segmet of 4x4 lumber that the guys were riding which finished in a drop to flat (5-6' huck) and the high one had an elevated jump at the end. I was there volunteering with First Aid...and wouldn't you know it....the day I have some time to drop by, one of the performers had an "oops." I wasn't involved in the treatment, but I hope he's alright. Next time I'm at RVC, I'll have to touch base with the contact I have there and see how the injured rider is doing.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - If I hadn't been given a list of "honey do's" and didn't have to tune up the kids's bikes when I got home I would have fired up the Kuwie (since it would get me there faster) and joined you down at Terwillegar... the loop around the park is a fun ride and some of the singletrack in there is simply marvelous.

Our ride today took us from downtown (we started at MEC) and we got as far as Telus Field before Excel was struck down by the bane of anyone who likes to run those super skinny and uber fast tires... a little tiny pebble stuck in the tire cut his riding day short.

He called in his emergency road service and after he was on his way home for repairs Ribald and I stopped by his place to pick up his Team Chance (a damn sweet ride) so we could adopt a rigid theme to our ride through MIllcreek.

For the most part we explored and hit some of the single track and I have to say that I can add riding that old rigid mountain bike to my list of favourite things and I figure that old Kuwahara (it's a Cascade) could run anywhere my hardtail could, is a super comfy bike on the road, and it might very well be a better hill climber despite weighing nearly 5 more pounds than the Trek..

The Cascade was actually specifically designed as a cross country / touring machine and comes replete with braze ons for a pump and a spoke holder on the right rear chain stay... with that in mind I figure it will be my ride of choice for an upcoming trip I'm planning that will take me a few hundred miles as once I'm there I'll have a solid machine that can handle the trails.

Strangely enough, Ribald had a blowout on our way back downtown but on the bright side, we had two spare tubes, two working pumps, and just about enough tools between us to strip a bike to it's frame.

I spent the rest of the evening tweaking out the Bianchi as there's this new kid in town that I have to try and keep up with... the Bianchi and SGP traded chainrings so the Bianchi has a few more teeth up front (it got the Sugino 50) and is now a tad bit faster while the Biopace feels pretty sweet on the SGP.

So... it looks like Wednesday night might be good for a little road work while we should look at getting together en masse next weekend to see how dirty and dusty we can get.

Now I just have to track down some uber skinny tires for the Bianchi and install a higher geared freewheel before Wednesday...

Jun 2006
    thanks for the info on Devon. Probably going to try it this week. I just did Fort Sask and i got to say it was one of the better trails around Edmonton.
    Directions to trails:
    Go to turner park in ft. Sask. and park at tenis courts.
    Follow river trails west towards bridge.
    At bride you will cross a foot bridge on the cement path. Drop in here on the path there. The trail is about 12 kilo to end and the local bike club has made it really rough at the end. Do not stop when you hit the boat launch. the trail continues on the other site of the road and gets interesting there.

The Fort. Sask. trail is great. Stick with it 'til the very end, and you'll be rewarded with some well-built, easy to ride ladder bridges. Quite cool. For a shortcut back, ride the farmer's field (if you're tired) above the trail. Is there a road ride planned for Wednesday? I still don't have new tires... aie.

Nov 2005
    hey, i was riding at JP school: the local urban spot with my friend and we seen a crazy guy (looks like he would blow up his house when he got home)...anyway he was headed up to mill creak, i was wonderig if that was any of you guys...no offence if it was you, you just look crazy

mtbr member
    Hmm, never noticed this Edmonton area forum before....
    Whereabouts does the Ft Sask trail begin? I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

Jun 2006
    lol... maybe...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm going to have to check out Ft. Saskatchewan. It keeps coming up. I've been hearing about other trails east of the city, including one on a reserve that is apparently amazing. I'll have to dig into the details on those.

I'm out for the road bike ride tonight.

How's the coming weekend look for everyone? Any chance of getting a good sized group out for a ride?

Double-metric mtb man
    Not me....it is my 3rd anniversary and the wife would kill me if I went riding tonight (I rode to work instead).

Though on September 2, I'm going to see just how well the Cake likes long distance road rides (I figure out to Stony and back will be the better part of 90 km from my place). I'll get in some MUT where possible, likely just on the way back home.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

%^#^%$^%&*&*&^ gravel !

I won't be able to make the road ride tonight or do any riding for a little while unless someone has an adult sized trailer and wants to tow my busted up self behind them...

I was taking a liesurely ride down the south side of the river on the MUT early last evening and came around one of those blind corners to meet another rider on a Cross bike that I figured was moving at pretty high speed.

We had both been riding the right to middle line of the trail and when I went to do a little swing right to make sure we cleared each other my front tire hit a patch where the gravel had washed away to where there was just a sketchy pebbly covering...it was like riding on marbles.

This was enough to skid my front tire across the mid line of a fairly wide trail section and put our respective bikes on a collision course as the other guy wasn't moving to his right and was having some stopping / manouvering issues due to the gravel.

I opted to lie the bike down to avoid a body to body or bike to bike collision and the other guy just bounced over the edge of my front tire, never came off his bike, and he and his bike were none the worse for wear.

We both cursed the city's policy for laying gravel over perfectly good trails and after making sure neither of us was severely injured and bikes were sound went on our merry way.

I opened up my left knee (I think I hit the pedal) and although the cut is a minor one, the bruising is now enough that I can't put any load on it which is what I need to do to pedal or shift gears in my car.

I bet the guys who decided that gravelling the trails was a good idea aren't riding them and I know there are several petitions going to protest the current development plans that appear to be aimed at making all the natural trails golfcart friendly.

Gravel and pavement aren't natural and if this keeps up they'll eventually be paving the trails in the Ewok Forest...

Weekend I'm a maybe - I have plans to go to the cabin instead. The weather looks nasty tonight anyway, so I'm not up for it.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'll just have to go day by day and hope that I can get back in the saddle fairly soon even if it's just for some light riding.

I tuned up the boy's bike this afternoon and went on a short test spin and figure I could probably ride if I left things in first gear and didn't have to climb any grades over 1%... LOL.

Double-metric mtb man
    Youch! Well, hopefully you mend quick 65'er.

I just about had a black lab ankle ornament tonight (sheesh....any closer and I would have unclipped just in case I needed to fight back!) Also, watch out in Mill Creek right now (well any of the MUT's for that matter) as the rain last night has put a bunch of new wash lines everywhere. I came across a couple of them at speed that have serious endo potential if you don't get the front wheel up...of course they are always in hard to see spots or just around corners just to give you a bit more "Yikes!!!" factor.
    Last edited by Psycho Mike; 08-24-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Have A Drink On Me
    At least you saved it, I went over the bars down there, came out of it bleeding slightly but no major damage.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - My elbow looks like yours did after that little spill you took in the forest but it's the knees that don't match... on the bright side I was able to drive the car this evening without experiencing too much pain and tomorrow I'll take the van since it's an automatic.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I had hit the guy head on as it would have been akin to a Hummer hitting a SmartCar and we both would have been messed up pretty badly.

I snapped some pics of the Kuwahara yesterday and she really is a Clydesdale, albeit a beautiful riding one...

It's a 1987 Cascade that's been equipped with ( and I don't know if these are original) Exage 300 LX and 400 LX deraileurs, Deore 175 mm cranks, Sun M20 double walled rims (original), Deore pedals, one Deore right thumb shifter, and Shimano's "Shark bite" U brakes in the rear. These brakes suck in the mud but work very well for touring as they don't get in the way of one's luggage.

All I had to do when I got it was do a routine lube and cleaning, adjust the tranny, replace the worn out grips and a pair of brake pads, and install my favourite comfy seat and some bar ends I had lying around.

I swapped in the Schwalbe Hurricane (my Trek's road tire) as the tire that came with the bike (an old style Specialized Hardrock) was a little wide and too aggressive a tread and the high pressure Hurricane is better suited for flat out speed, touring, and for carrying loaded paniers.

The best part was that I only paid $25.00 for the bike and spent another $25.00 on the grips and new seat to make it a really great ride.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well...word from the MD is that I should be able to do some light riding on Monday as long as the swelling in my knee goes down.

I guess I can use the down time to tweak some of my rides...

Aug 2006
    Hey guys (and gals??), just thought I'd say hi since I'm picking up my first bike in 8 years today! Thanks for all the tips on trails...can't believe I've lived over 8 years in Edmonton, go to Pigeon Lake like every week and didn't have a bike up until now! JEEZ...

Double-metric mtb man
    Welcome aboard, Quince,

Look forward to seeing ya on the trails

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quince - welcome to our little corner of MTBR.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    Quince - welcome to our little corner of MTBR.
    also know as the whole of the western canada forum, 30 posts a day in this one, 1 a day in all the rest of western canada

Go edmonton!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    If you read these forums you might think the only place anyone rides is in Edmonton while we just just know it's the only place to ride...

The people I've met through this forum and ridden with are as excellent a bunch of people as you'd ever want to hang with.

It seems that we've got a regular Wednesday night road ride going on and usually strive to hook up for some dirtier stuff on the weekends.

On that note, I am hoping I'll be able to sadlle up the Bianchi for Wednesday night and test the new cranks... if that doesn't work I might have to saddle up the SGP which now has slightly less ambitious touring gears and might be a little easier on the knee.

Nov 2005
    If you read these forums you might think the only place anyone rides is in Edmonton while we just just know it's the only place to ride...
    what is it with people nad cracking bad jokes today, at work thats all i heard...at least o dozen ill placed horrible jokes/comments/comebacks

i want to go to my basment and hang myself

anyway, we should get a weekley rabbit ride going as well, maybe on a sunday, or tuesday because both days are equally unoccupied in my eyes (for those of you that dont work)

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I thought that was a snappy comeback but perhaps the painkillers are dulling my razor sharp wit...

I went and worked on the old Peugot for a while as I wanted to fit proper brake levers to the replacement cruiser bars. The old Mafac racing levers are gorgeous but don't work very well on a cruiser setup so I'll save these until I find the proper drop bars for this 1955 PLX 10 "Grande Tourisme".

It looks really good as a cruiser as it was originally equipped as a touring model and came with fenders, lights and a generator (all intact) but underneath all that, it's pretty much a racing bike albeit a vintage one.

It should be the perfect Wednesday night ride when it's done as even in full dress, she's still pretty light and geared for some decent speed.

Nov 2005
    I thought that was a snappy comeback but perhaps the painkillers are dulling my razor sharp wit...

I went and worked on the old Peugot for a while as I wanted to fit proper brake levers to the replacement cruiser bars. The old Mafac racing levers are gorgeous but don't work very well on a cruiser setup so I'll save these until I find the proper drop bars for this 1955 PLX 10 "Grande Tourisme".

It looks really good as a cruiser as it was originally equipped as a touring model and came with fenders, lights and a generator (all intact) but underneath all that, it's pretty much a racing bike albeit a vintage one.

It should be the perfect Wednesday night ride when it's done as even in full dress, she's still pretty light and geared for some decent speed.
    hey...your old, should the retirement home nurses put you to bed a long time ago

just kidding, but it is 1230.

anyway, i havent really been followin to closley where does rthe wensday ride take you guys?

edit:

sorry for the comment..ish

Jun 2006
    ya man i have,its pritty asome if u hit up the right trails

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    free rider - If you could see my nurse you'd wonder why I ever bothered to get out of bed...

It was a pretty good day as I managed to put in a full day at the bike shop and even went for a little test drive on the Peugot this evening after fitting the rear brake cable and housings... the old girl rides and rolls beautifully on those plush 28 inch tyres and even without being able to put both legs into it I managed to get the old girl up to some eyewatering speed... it's not so much a Cafe cruiser as it is a Cafe rocket.

I got to work on some interesting bikes today with the most notable being an early Specialized Rockhopper FS (FS = front suspension) that was in need of more than a little TLC. The gorgeous chromo frame on this bike made all the sweat (and swearing) worth it and I only wish I could have test driven it in a manner befitting it's design.

All in all I rebuilt, refurbished, and tuned up 8 bikes today and can only think that they should put some big smiles on the faces of some kids... especially that Rockhopper.

Double-metric mtb man
    Kewl beans, 65'er...sounds like you had a good day.

I'm looking to get some shop time in too...where you've been getting older bikes ready to roll, I've now got the parts to help my blue beauty keep it to sub-sonic speeds flying down the long downhill runs (like into Terwillegar, going down Walterdale Hill, or some of the stuff between the Capilano Bridge and Cloverdale foot bridge)...I'll be throwing an 8" rotor on the front in the near future. If I had the right bits and a torque wrench, I'd do it here in my basement....instead, I think I'll have to head over to Bikeworks and invest a toonie.

Nov 2005
    free rider - If you could see my nurse you'd wonder why I ever bothered to get out of bed...
    we wouldnt want you to break a hip or something

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - When I'm refurbishing bikes the most common upgrade I do is to properly set up and upgrade the braking systems on the bikes we get...even some of the new ones come with poor set ups and my philosophy is that when that bike is finished and stickered with my personal stamp it has to be a bike I'd be confident putting my kids on.

The 8 inch front rotor seems like a great upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    anyway, we should get a weekley rabbit ride going as well, maybe on a sunday, or tuesday because both days are equally unoccupied in my eyes (for those of you that dont work)

tuesday its closed but ya we should get a weekley rabbit hill thing going

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I've got the 8" on and running....I'll need to drop by Hardcore for a new rotor bolt (previously stripped, had to notch it to get it out tonight), maybe some locktite and to make sure everything is torqued right.

It seems to run out okay and there is a heck of a lot more power for getting my larger framed self slowed down. In fact, on my return run along the bike path through Buena Vista park, I had a chocolate lab and pup come flying out in front of me chasing a ball so the brake got its first real test. Granted, the MUT is all gravel, but tonight was the first time I've had the power to actually lock both wheels up in a panic grab (nice bit of bike drifting on my part too, btw)...I was able to modulate it quite well, but the power was definitely improved. Previously, with the 6" rotor, I didn't have quite enough power to lock the front, even on the loose stuff. Definitely a worthy upgrade.

Just got back from Rocky Mountain House... Baseline Mountain is sick - awesome shuttling mountain. Definitely the craziest stuff I've seen in Alberta. I can't make Wednesday this time, because I'm leaving for Vancouver. I'm going to get a taste of riding on the 'Shore.

I'll read the stuff I missed tomorrow :P - I'm going to bed.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - It sounds like the upgrade was a winner... I acn still get by really well with v-brakes although a front disc is on my list of upgrades.

I should be up for a light ride on Wednesday evening and also met a nice chap at MEC today who thought the Wednesday ride sounded like a good idea... he was riding a top of the line Nishiki that was in beautiful shape and certainly looked like it could still pull more than a few g's.

He said he didn't know too many riders in the city so I pointed him here so he could keep up on what rides we have planned and hook up when we take the old girls out for a ride (although everyone is welcome).

I went for another short spin tonight (a few km on the Kuwie) and have to say that the Biopace really comes in handy when one can only apply good power with one leg but it's still gonna be a while before I plan any routes where there are any kinds of climbs as that requires two good knees.

I figure the road bikes and the Peugot will get a lot of use in the coming weeks as I rehab the knee (since they roll easier) and I'm hoping I'll be in shape for a Labour day ride to Wetaskiwin to see the family.

Nov 2005
    what

a whole day and not one post form edmonton...weird

Jun 2006
    out riding at COP. Man they have made those trails confusing... If anyone hasnt been there recently they have really north shored the bush trails up to the point i think someone is going to get hurt. I wonder why they didnt put some of that stuff in the free ride park...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I wanna go to COP never been to it

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It looks like the weather is against us today but who knows...the skies might clear off and give us a little sunshine later on.

If the sun is shining I'll probably be up for a little spin this evening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ya, I went out today already got muddy but I wasn't doing alot of serious riding mainly practicing my wheelie things lol I'm getting better at them and I hope it does dry up soon

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    As far as I could see, no-one showed up for the road ride but that is understandable since today was mostly rain and it only let off late in the afternoon. I was there with Sophia (on my van) but opted to take a night off and give the knee a night of rest (it was really aching) and what better way to do that but to come home, cuddle up with one's daughter, and watch a movie ?

She can be a squirmy little thing and accidently kicked me right in the kneecap which hurt like hades BUT now it's moving like it hasn't moved in a week with very little pain.

So if the repair holds I'm looking forward to doing some light to moderate riding this weekend and it's gonna have to involve one old HTand getting a little bit of dirt.

I might not be 100% but a bad day riding is still better than a good day doing most other things.

Nov 2005
    I was there with Sophia (on my van) .
    i hope sophia is your bike, not yoru daughter...strapping your daughter to yoru roof cancels out the movie watching

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I made a typo... on my van should have been in my van.

The van is wide enough for her to be driven in through the side door and parked behind the driver's seat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    i hope sophia is your bike, not yoru daughter...strapping your daughter to yoru roof cancels out the movie watching
    ahahaha

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I figured that since she's an Italian I had to name her after one of my favourite Italian babes...

We have a little riding group where I work and go on a little coffee cruise every couple of Thursdays... I figure I'm up to riding the Critter today and seeing if I can push some bigger gears over a short distance.

It looks like it's going to be a beautiful night for some riding.l

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...well, Sat is the big ride for me....not much dirt going to happen, but hopefully a 100 km ride on Naomi (my '06 GF Cake). I just hope i doesn't get up to 28 like they were forecasting yesterday.

Also, an OT note...if you get a chance, see the Phantom of the Opera at the Jubilee....got tickets for my anniversary (which was last week, but we went to opening night yesterday). In a word: Schweeeeeeet!

Nov 2005
    I made a typo... on my van should have been in my van.

The van is wide enough for her to be driven in through the side door and parked behind the driver's seat.
    now your daughters fat??

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Too funny...

That reminds me of a sketch on MadTV about folks who drive SUV's.

Double-metric mtb man

Made it...it was a long ride, but it's done

Well, it was a long ride, broken up by running the lawnmower out in Stony for my mother, but I got it done in spite of the dang southeast wind

90km on the Cake (with the full knobbies on!) in less than 4 hours ...and I even managed to climb Walterdale at the 78 km mark (whew!)

I think I need to look at a roadiecycle if I wanna keep doing stuff like that!

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Well, it was a long ride, broken up by running the lawnmower out in Stony for my mother, but I got it done in spite of the dang southeast wind

90km on the Cake (with the full knobbies on!) in less than 4 hours ...and I even managed to climb Walterdale at the 78 km mark (whew!)

I think I need to look at a roadiecycle if I wanna keep doing stuff like that!
    well done, i couldnt even come close to that without collapsing...

Double-metric mtb man
    Actually, the surprising part is that I'm not overly sore the day after. I feel it a bit (more tired than sore) in the legs and a little bit at the waist, but generally, I think I'm in pretty good condition after the ride. Wouldn't want to do it again today, but I could get on the bike and ride if I had to.

I probably would have been able to do it a bit quicker but as I said, the southeast wind gusting to 40 km/h ended up being a front quarter crosswind to headwind for my return run That and it was 18 degrees when heading out and something like 26 degrees coming back....the sweat was just pouring out from under my helmet on the return trip and I kept having to stop to drain the padding and wipe off my glasses.

I was surprised by how well the Panaracer's did for that sort of on-road riding. Granted, they are only 2.1" wide, but they are full knobbies. I took them up from my off-road 40psi (I run them harder as I'm a clyde) to 60 psi and, although I could feel the vibration a lot more from the knobbies (when you get more contact at the lower pressure, they smooth out) they were still decently quick for the trip.

Once I get my maintenance done (I'm at the interval for cleaning and rotating the chain, flipping tires and the likes), I think the next thing on my list of "to do" will be to make a run down to Rabbit Hill before it closes for the season.

250 km of riding to go to reach my goal for the season

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - Well done my friend... I wish I could have been able to tag along for that one and hope that we can hook up to cover some of that remaining 250 km.

The hardest ride I've done this year was when I took my Superbe 3 speed out for an 80 km test spin... it was all good until the wind started blowing in my face.

I think this and the epic rides I have taken on my Trek reminded me of how much faster and farther you can ride when you have a decent road bike as although the Superbe is smooth and fast, she also weighs 41 pounds dry and has gearing that appeals to mascochists... LOL

I was planning on riding out to Elk Island Park tomorrow (it's about 100 km return) but the knee still isn't up to doing any distance or taking any load. It got me to thinking that a ride out to Elk Island Park (or some other remote destination) might be a nice way to wind up what has been a great summer of riding where we've logged some great miles and started some new friendships.

I figure that we're all in good enough shape to handle a measly 100km ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Woah thats a long bike ride

Just replaced my tube for my back wheel I've been having problems with it since I got my bike spent 15$ on a downhill tube now my back tire is heavy but I rather have a heavy tire then keep on replacing pinch flats

Nov 2005
    alright, not to be off topic, bbut this is the edmonton thread so anyone got a pair of hydros they are selling, i need them to keep riding.

if any of you have been to "my spot" and have hit the drop line, you knwo you get some crazy speed coming off the last drop (about 6-7 feet, butter smooth tranny) well, my brake lever popped out upon landing and if youve ever riden with me you know that my front brake dont work. so my bike went into the trees dong about 40, and i skidded along the grass on my ass (haha, my ass was grass so to say)....anyway my back caliper was totalled, and my front has been for a while now. so i desperatley need some new brakesd, prefferally in edmonton, and preferally soon.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Sorry... no spare hydros here and I don't think any of the LBS's will be open until Tuesday.

Speaking of long rides...we're in the planning stage of organizing a ride from Bonnieville to Red Deer via Edmonton which is about 400km by Travel Alberta's online trip calculator.

I'd like to do this trip in 2 days.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I forgot to mention that we'd be doing this ride as a charity fund-raiser.

Nov 2005
    hey everynody, i just got my new mini dv camera and i want to test it out...anybody want to help, and my bke is still broken, so if you want to do some urban riding for a camera or a couple of drops at he local "spot" tell me, i really need to test this baby out

it a jvc GR-D37OU if anybody was wondering and retails for about 450.

I'd love to try some of the hidden stuff on the west end. I went for a spin through there earlier this year and couldn't find anything.

I'm having a blast out here in Maple Ridge:
    I rode Alouette Mountain Fireroad, I rode Woodlot yesterday (awesome trails), 2 runs on Fromme and 1 on Seymour today (doublely awesome), and I did the 24km (round trip) Golden Ears hike as a day trip.

I got two runs in at Woodlot. I need a map to remember the runs I did.

Today was: 7th > Espresso > Baden Powell, back up to Pipeline > Lower Ladies, then CBC > Corkscrew > Salvation > Pangor/Pingu > Old Buck to parking lot.

Wow... I am a lucky SOB. I am sooo coming back next year .

I only have pics of the Golden Ears hike, because my lovely host does not ride crazy bikes down crazy trails - she much prefers endless hills, and I call her crazy.

Jun 2006
    just got an email from rabbit hill. only open weekends 10-6 until the end of the season

Nov 2005
    just got an email from rabbit hill. only open weekends 10-6 until the end of the season
    mmhhmm, everybody who subscribed should have got a letter detailing the winter sason, and end of summer

who all skis/boards and who will be hitting rabbit in the winter? i know i will

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Excel - It sounds like you're having a blast and I'll be looking forward to your return...I want to see what that Bianchi can really do since our last ride was cut short and I might even be up to do some riding that takes me farther than around the block.

Since I'm still rehabilitating the knee I've been playing in the shop and started working on my SS retro roadie... I scored a Raleigh / Carlton Sports the other day and although she is really scruffy and is gonna need a little TLC the frame is solid and she still had her Reynold's 531 stickers on the forks.

* Carlton Bicycles was bought by Raleigh in 1960 and was responsible for producing high end bicycles on Reynold's tubes that were double branded as Raleigh and Carlton.

I stripped the low end Shimano D's (they were low end replacements for the original Suntour methinks) and converted her to an economy single speed just to get a feel for the gearing as I want to do some tests to see what is going to be optimal for the bike and the guy riding her.

The paint and stickers are in sorry shape and there's some minor surface rust but the chrome is still shiny, it was fitted with some nice (and dead true) Rigida wheels on Normandy wide flange alloy hubs. The stem and bars are alloy and the Carlton brake hoods are in excellent shape.

I figure the bike was worth ten bucks and a perfect candidate to become an SS..

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

SS heaven...

Well,,, the build cost on my economy SS just quadrupled with the purchase of some new Conti Ultrasports and new tubes... I'm now up to $42.00 Cdn.

This doesn't bother me as I was able to take her out for a decent test spin and was actually able to put a little something into the road test... I could stand a little on the pedals and spinning didn't seem to stress the knee much at all.

Despite still having the old double chainring w / 165 mm cranks and truly vintage pedals and toe clips delivering power to the Suntour freewheel I was blown away by my first real road test and the ride should just get better as I continue to lighten up the bike and add better components.

Based on gearing calculations from Sheldon Brown (I have no speedo installed yet) I was getting pretty close to hitting 50 kmh when I was pedalling at 120 rpm and 100 rpm yields a decent 40 kmh. It's been so long since I was able to put the hammer down the speed actually freaked me out a little but I'm sure I'll get used to it pretty quickly.

For 13.00 each (at MEC) those Conti Ultrasports are a wickedly good deal and look pretty funky on those vintage rims (which are only a spec heavier than my newer alloy wheels).

I think I might be up for a little road riding "a la vintage" on the weekend (Sunday) and will see how the knee holds up. If that's all good I figure I can get back on the mountain bikes and start hitting the trails with my usual wanton abandon.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe....maybe we can meet up on Sunday for a little bit.

I'm just finishing off the maintenance on the Cake and will be giving tubeless a go....well, actually I'm running tubeless right now, but one of the valve stems broke, so although the tire is holding air, I'm not doing a lot with it quite yet.

Between the 8" rotor, going tubeless and having stripped off some of the junk from the bike, I can't wait to hit the trails again myself

Sounds like a good way to spend Sunday to me . Glad to hear the knee is healing up. Being injured during the summer sucks.

Everyone seems to ride a fully on the 'Shore - I was one of two hardtaillers I saw all day long. I can't believe all the crazy things I rode... I cleaned everything on Espresso (a few stunts took two attempts), rode most of the stuff on CBC, and I only had one nasty crash. It's amazing where a little speed, commitment, and balance took me.

I'm off to get some tires for the Bianchi. I'll spend some money on nice ones when the snow melts next year.

Nov 2005
    anybody up for a urban ride (no, not road...like ledges and drops) this sunday around 3 pm...then we all hit up a resturant for supper...i know there is a road ride (i think) going on, but i was wondering if anybody wanted to take a urban shred downtown sunday afternoon

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Excel... Those Ultrasports are really decent tires for the money and ribald has always said good things about them (he runs them on his Kuwahara).

It was an incredible day for a vintage steel addict like myself as I rescued a few vanloads of old road bikes and parts from certain destruction and the population of bikes at my house went up by 7. There were also two virtually new three speed cruisers that I dropped off at one of the programs I volunteer at for folks to ride since they're comfortable and simple..

If we go vintage on Sunday I won't know what to ride as besides the Bianchi, the SGP and the Carlton the garage is now home a gorgeous and nearly mint 18 speed Miyata that reminds me of a ribalds Kuwahara (can you say triple butted tubing?), 2 ancient Peugots (1 has already been serviced) an English Mercury 10 speed (it's truly vintage and truly heavy), a Nishiki 12 speed, and an awesome Trek touring bike on a 24-25 inch frame that I gave to the heir (my son) who might even come along so he can road test his new ride.

None of the bikes need much in the way of service and a few came fitted with really nice leather saddles (a Wrights and an Ideale) that have been well broken in and feel like they were made for my butt. I'd have to agree with many folks that Ideale saddles are every bit as good as a Brooks and the Wrights is also a well made unit.

The Wrights had to go on the the Carlton (I'm keeping a vintage theme) and as the Ideale came with the Miyata, it will just stay where it is.

I think I will go with a gearie with a granny as I don't know how well the knee will hold up and might have to sit and spin rather than stand on the pedals as I am partial to doing and I''d have to do this if I rode the Carlton up any hills or into the wind..

Anyways... I should be up for a ride around three on Sunday afternoon and food is always a good thing... all we need is a time and place to meet for the ride and a location where we can meet up for dinner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sounds like a major score SixtyFiver. I'm jealous. I haven't found a decent bike since that team chance. Not that I've been looking a whole lot. Things like life, renovations, and work have been gettting in the way of my addiction.

A Miyata? Which model? I've been hoping to score a Miyata for some time. If it's a 1000, I'm going to be cranky that I didn't get to it first. Oh, and the Kuwahara is quad butted, not triple butted.

I'll be up for the ride on Sunday, maybe not the dinner.

Earlier in the thread there was some talk of a ride out to Elk Island. Anyone still interested in that? Has a date been set? I'm not sure if I'm in shape to do that ride, but I'd like to give it a shot.

I'll just have to remember to put air in the tires this time. I haven't been on the road bike since last time we went on a road ride.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Riding to Elk Island is still on my list of things to do and perhaps we can discuss this on Sunday a little further... 100 km isn't anything we coudn't handle and I need to wind up the summer with a big ride somewhere and preferably with folks I like to ride with.

The Miyata is a 215 ST in damn near perfect shape...the component group is mixed with Shimano indexed downtube shifters, Dia Compe Canti brakes and levers, and a Miyata "Signature" crank that looks to have been built by Sugino. It's a beautiful turquoise bike with gorgeous ride qualities and who knows...it might be up for trade or sale as I officially have way too many bikes for one man to ride. It's a 21 inch frame with a good top tube length and geometry and found it to be a really good fit despite preferring slightly taller bikes.

I think I'm more tweaked about the really vintage bikes I found as although the Miyata is certainly the prettiest and one of the fastest bikes in the shop... most people know I have a thing for older girls and a few bikes that will run out just as fast.

That Mercury must weigh close 35 pounds (she's all steel with cottered cranks) and is fitted with Huret components that work flawlessy, the downtube shifters were missing so I installed some Shimano 600's as loaners until I find some proper shifters and it just falls into the really cool ride category. It's in gorgeous shape with nary a nick or a scratch and appears to have been well maintained over the last 40 or so years. Riser bars would make her a nice cruiser but the bike is so complete I think it it would be wrong to change the original set up.

One of the Peugots is almost identical to my PLX 10 but is a newer (bit not nearly as nice) model as the frame is heavier and it has one of the infamous Ava stems. The other is a model I can't identify (yet) and has a 23" frame with a short top-tube and really narrow drop bars that makes it pretty compact...the cranks are cottered and the chainrings are a rather small 45 and 40 mated to a compact road set in the rear... she's a definate spinner. The Mafac Racers (these are brakes) are in really good condition and probably the most valuable part of the bike.

I'm giving the Nishiki to a friend after I check it out and tweak things but it too is a really decent ride.

Finishing the Carlton is job 1 right now as I really want to get all the mechanical stuff done before I strip it down for a repaint. It's already lighter than the Miyata and will be getting a little lighter yet... I figure it will get some Shimano 600 brakes and I have lovely Sugino crankset that should be a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    anybody up for a urban ride (no, not road...like ledges and drops) this sunday around 3 pm...then we all hit up a resturant for supper...i know there is a road ride (i think) going on, but i was wondering if anybody wanted to take a urban shred downtown sunday afternoon

that sounds good to me talk to you on msn

and if you guys see a guy walking around with just a back tire it could be this guys back tire that i know, his brake chords got slashed and they have his back tire
    Last edited by cycle...; 09-07-2006 at 03:13 PM.

I picked up a pair of 700x23c Continental Ultra Gatorskins at MEC. Took them for a quick spin, and they're not quite as fast, or as nice as the old Michelins. However, they're certainly a great deal more confidence inspiring over the potholes and rough stuff, and should resist punctures better than anything else in the range.

I'd love a pair of the Bianch-blue-and-black Michelins... but they run around $90 a tire .

If anyone is interested in a bare-bones, vintage 10-speed, there is a garage sale near my house with an old Sears-brand bike for $15. It needs some work, but it would serve someone well as a commuter. Nothing remarkable at all about it, but I'll pick it up and hold it for someone if they're interested.

Sunday sounds awesome already . We should hit up a small place downtown or on Whyte. I'm also interested in the Elk Island ride. I need a ride like that to test my current endurance limits on the road.

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang, I may need to start hanging out near you a little more, 65'er....

You seem to have a nose for good commuter bikes

Well, if a decision is made on Elk Island, I'll need a little advanced notice....I'll have to put tubes back in my tires. The tubless works great off road and gives great traction as the tires are more pliable, but it ups the resistance on the road and would slow me down.

I sure notice that I've dropped the better part of a pound off each tire, though!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - I think that old bikes know that if they come to me that they will be well taken care of and in many cases, given to people who will really appreciate their value and care for them.

If you hook up for the ride to Elk Island I could always loan you the Bianchi and ride the Miyata... once we get you on a road bike or cruiser / commuter you might end up neglecting your Cake or just saving it for for the dirty stuff as I do with my Trek. Heck... I could loan you the Bianchi on Sunday you want to try something a little different.

Excel - If those Gatorskins were in my budget I would have snagged a pair and the money I spent on the Ultrasports actually could have been saved as I now have a good selection of nearly new 27 inch rubber.

Other than that I got the SS wheel built up for the Carlton so the rear end is looking cleaned up and now I just have to find the right crankset and chainring for the front... I'm running a 42:16 which gives me 70 gear inches or a 1:2.6 gear ratio which should be friendly enough for hills and still allow for some monster speed if I spin those pedals fast enough. I also scored some NOS Dia Compe centre pulls at Belvedere cycle that suit the retro theme and they only cost me $6.00.

So... let's figure out where we're meeting on Sunday.

Excel and I live on the north side and MIke and Ribald are southsiders so somewhere in the middle should work for pretty much anyone who wants to come for a spin.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Look ma...no gears !

I snapped a few pictures of the Carlton this morning...I really should have got a before picture but a "work in progress" picture is gonna have to do.

The Wright's saddle is awesome and aside from a little cut is in great shape.

The build cost is one that would warm a Scotsman's heart...

Raleigh Carlton: 10.00
    Tyres / Tubes: 32.00
    Vintage NOS brakes: 6.00
    BMX 16 tooth freewheel: 14.00

Total: 62.00

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I was thinking we could all meet up in front of Telus Field (at 3pm) as that should be a good little warm-up for any of the folks I know are coming... one of my friends fom work said he's gonna dust off his Miele and join us since his better half gave him a pass for the afternoon.

Excel - If you want to stop by here on the way down we could ride together.

I'm up for hearing of any alternative locations.

Sounds good to me - if I'm feeling any better tomorrow, that is.

I think I picked up my annual "back to campus" cold last week, and I don't know if it's getting better or worse right now. I'll call you on Sunday, 65'er.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Excel - We're gonna have to suck it up and play through the pain... my knees are killing me but I think that's due to putting in two double shifts in a row and a good night's rest and a slack day should make them feel 100% better..

Riding the bike actually feels pretty good and I even took the old Mercury out this morning to run some errands such as retrievung my house keys so I could get into the garage (the Merc was locked in the shed). In looking at the serial number I am led to believe that this bike dates all the way back to 1955 which makes it's outstanding condition all the more remarkable and if I was 100% I might even select it for tomorrows ride.

As it is, I'm leaning towards the Bianchi as I've already serviced the bike from top to bottom and know Sophia won't fail me whereas the Miyata, despite looking minty fresh, still needs a thorough service check.

In other bike news...I saw a Specialized Rockhopper (rigid Al frame) in near mint and all original condition at one of the more respectable pawn shops. The owner said it was his own bike that he bought new and that he would take 2 bills ($200.00) for it.

I looked at it thinking it would be the perfect base on which to builld an SS as all that it would need is the stripping of the D's and those nasty Specialized Grip shifters and the rebuilding of the rear wheel (Mavic 238's) into an SS.

Now I need to have a bike sale so I can afford another one... I am so beyond hope.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm not going to be able to make it....between church and the company BBQ where I should put in an appearance, I probably won't be home, little on riding, until after 6pm.

I made up for it by running the Ewok Forest and MUT by the Riverside today...dang beavers had been busy along the MUT (at least I've got the bb height and wheelie skills now to clear some of the downed trees ) and I'd have to say it looks like Ewok is getting some pretty heavy use Lotsa places are looking a little ragged.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well...I'm ready for tomorrow.

I spent another enjoyable evening working in my "cave" and got around to cleaning up the shop, made sure Sophia was packed and ready for tomorrow and then specced out some of the wheels I salvaged the other day to see what they needed... all but one required nothing more than a little minor trueing up and the "bad' one was still within tolerances.

My trueing stand is a set of Tange forks I salvaged off a Nishiki Olympic that I had picked up for 5.00 and the home made stand works as well as any pro stand I've used.

Time to get some Z's so I have enough energy for the "honey do's" in the morning and the ride in the afternoon.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Perhaps a few weeks off was a good thing...

Today's ride was great despite our missing Excel (nasty cold) and Ribald (truck problems)...one of my co-workers had dusted off his Miele and brought his friend who had a nice Giant Boulder MB and we logged a decent 25 km by riding to the ACT and back along the north side of the river.

The knee was feeling pretty good and I found I was able to get up and stand on the pedals without too much discomfort and apply some good power.

I found myself running the Bianchi in 2 gears (50:18 and 40:18) for most of the day and only briefly dropped into the granny for the climb up to McNaly... I was running the 50:18 going down into the ACT and just left it there until I got home and even climbed that hill out of the ACT park in the 50:18 which was brutal (but oh so satisfying).

That climb from the east side of the Capilano bridge (that no-one likes) also seemed shorter than usual... I opted to hit it in that 50:18 gearing and hammer it for as long as I could and only had to drop to the middle ring at the last corner.

It was a good road test for the rider and the bike which hasn't seen more than a few km of riding since I swapped the cranks for the Sugino 50.

On that Miele...it had some of the nicest front forks I have ever seen on a road bike as they looked like they were poured out of chrome and were nearly seamless from top to bottom.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    PS - I thought we passed Perrin on a few occasions but we were moving along at good speed and I wasn't exactly sure it was him.

So Perrin... if you were riding the Capilano area today on that red Specialized and saw a threesome of guys riding a few old road bikes (one blue Bianchi and one white Miele) and a green Giant MB that would have been us.

We should all put streamers on our bar ends so we can recognize each other when we're doing head on passes at speed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So Perrin... if you were riding the Capilano area today on that red Specialized and saw a threesome of guys riding a few old road bikes (one blue Bianchi and one white Miele) and a green Giant MB that would have been us.
    I was out last night from 8. Rode from dawson park -> LRT bridge on the southside and then past Telus field and up Grierson hill and back home. Recall passing a couple people just east of footbridge to McKinnon park.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Perrin - I guess you have a doppleganger who also rides a red Specialized HT ( I notice bikes more than I do riders)... I was back at the house by 5 pm and must say my quads are burnin' today.

And in other news...

I went and touched up the top tube and seat stays on the Carlton last night cause I couldn't stand the rust and it's looking 100% better... the quick cover up isn't perfect (I found a few small runs) but in doing a little light sanding I found that nasty looking rust is just skimming the surface of that lovely frame.

There's what I believe to be a date code on the frame at the top of the seat post that says 73...I was pretty sure the square tapered axle and cranks were a replacement for the original cottered cranks and axle and it just makes my life easier when it comes to replacing the double for a single.

It's going to look really sweet when it gets the full repaint (in a high gloss white) and think it already rates as my best deal ever.

I really should have taken it out yesterday as I figure I could have handled having only one gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I went and touched up the top tube and seat stays on the Carlton last night cause I couldn't stand the rust and it's looking 100% better... the quick cover up isn't perfect (I found a few small runs) but in doing a little light sanding I found that nasty looking rust is just skimming the surface of that lovely frame.
    You need to keep that rust in check. Don't need to have this happen to you.

From https://www.teehonya.ru/realbiker/fo...1094DyKqAp.jpg

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I don't know if that was a rust related accident as much as a stress fracture making itself known in a big way... I bet that face plant into the tire had to hurt.

The old Carlton seems to have seen some TLC in it's 33 years as everything I've taken apart has appeared well greased and the inside of the frame looks pretty clean and rust free. The newer BB axle and alloycrank is a sign someone probably liked riding this bike as much as I do and felt the upgrade was justified.

My guess is that someone had a bad habit of mounting or carrying a lock / chain over the top tube which eventually wore away the finish which can take a long time on an old Raleigh as their paint work is exellent.

I rode the Carlton all afternoon as I commuted from location to location and Sheldon Brown's gear calculator put my cruising speed at 40 kmh (25mph) @ 120 rpm.

I could still do a lot of things to lighten bike further but I really like the vintage wheels (which are still pretty light) and those drop forged Dia Compe centre pull brakes I scored at Belvedere cycle.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Things have been pretty quite of late and I think that the poor weather has been to blame...

Mike and I have been pondering bike trailer construction and I have also been spending a few hours in the shop tuning this, tuning that, and paying some attention to Jenny (my faithful Trek) who rolled out of the garage this evening as a single speed.

The build was easy enough and the test drive was flawless although I didn't have enough time or light to hit the trails to see how the 32:16 set up handles the hills although I expect that I'm gonna love Jenny even more than I did once we hit our favourite trails...

I hope that we can hook up for the weekend and get dirty and I am still planning on riding out to Elk Island park before the snow flies.

Sunday is looking good as the weather is supposed ot be really nice.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe....I think you're right, 65er....the weather has been in the crapper so not a lot of chatter on the boards. I've been doing a little tweaking too...little adjustements to the driveline and so forth....and spending a little time with my favorit CAD program.

I'm hoping that it dries up starting on Friday....I'd like to get in a ride on Sat morning before I head out to Stony Plain for the day and then maybe get out for a little ride on Sunday evening.

Right now, the MUT's are pretty soft. I rode to work on Monday and on the way home, I really was watching the conditions to see if I needed to bail up to the paved trails. In a couple spots, the gravel's a little thin and things are getting a little muddy...not quite enough to get into rutting, but if the rain keeps coming, it is a possibility.

The singletrack in Millcreek isn't worth considering right now...waaaaay too soft (and showing evidence of those who have ridden them anyway).

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    A Sunday evening ride sounds like a good idea as by then I will have gotten my Z's (I've been workiing graveyard shifts) and should be perky. I'll be building bikes at the shop on Saturday since we really have a high number of bikes that need to be completed.

I'm going to take Jenny to work this afternoon via Emily Murphy Park and the MUT to see how the single gearing ratio and new rear tire works... I'll definately be doing a little hill climbing as I'll have to come up out of the river valley via Victoria Hill so should get a good feel for things like my burning thighs.

Jenny's cruising speed is going to be reduced to 25 kmh @ 100 rpm / 30 kmh at 120 rpm which is good enough to handle my short ride into the river valley but will pretty much limit her to trail, singletrack, and winter use. The Kuwahara still has all her gears so now gets to handle those epic on/off road trips.

The days are getting so short that road riding during the week could be a little problematic as there is a limited amount of daylight... I don't mind riding in the dark but don't know how everyone else feels about this.

Sep 2006
    hey evreyone, i'm a youg rider (14) with a new stumpjumper fsr expert lookin for some recommended edmonton trails 2 ride before the winter comes.

Mar 2006
    i think im going to rabbit hill on sunday for one last time before it closes. i have a 2 for 1 lift ticket pass so if anyone is planning on going there, reply back and we can split it.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Geez... how come the kids have nicer bikes than me?

But seriously Derrie... Edmonton has some excellent trails to ride (such as the Ewok forest) and the south side of the river and Millcreek Ravine is always a blast. My only admonition to anyone is that they refrain from riding the trails when they're saturated (as they are now) as it really messes them up.

Sometimes folks ride when they are themselves, are saturated, and this too is a bad idea as it will mess them up.

Make sure you ride with a friend and preferably one who knows the trails as they can serve as both a guide and saviour if things go horribly wrong. Pack tools, a first aid kit, and a cel phone if you have access to one.

I don't think there's an age limit on who joins up for rides so if we head out on Sunday and you get the okay from the parents and even better, have one come along, we could show you some trails. I have a son who is your age and one who is older so know that your parents might have some concern about you hooking up with people you've never met so we might have to meet or talk to them them before you join the resident maniacs on the trail.

We're also old so you might have to wait for us to catch up.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I was going to mention that I got to take Jenny down through the MUTs at Emily Murphy Park and raced her up the hill beneath the high level bridge to catch the guys at Redbike before they closed.

I had met one of their customers on a Surly Karate Monkey with a flip flop SS / fixie who had lost a crank arm and wanted to make sure they waited for him to come in and get a repair. If I had my hex key for crank bolts there wouldn't have been a problem but it must have slipped out of the multi tool and is probably on the shop floor or counter.

A little blue locktite is great for keeping these from working themselves loose.

The fellow got his bike fixed and I was pretty pleased with the new 1 by 1 setup as even with the knee as it is, I was able to climb things fairly well and daresy with as much ease as I did when Jenny had gears.

I might have to take the Kuwie out on Sunday so I can work on remembering how this gear shifting thing works (and test some new tires)... before I got the Trek done I had pretty much been riding the Carlton every day so it's been a few weeks without gears.

Sep 2006
    okay, sunday sounds good but my dads on prince edward island for some conference this weekend so it'll be me and a couple of friends checking out some trails then, where are you planning to go riding? because we might also be going to rabbit hill then. (if its open)

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I think that our Sunday ride will be happening later in the day and we'll have to have a little convo among ourselves to decide on the exact when and where we're going to meet.

Anytime after 2 pm is gonna work for me.

I am so looking forward to doing some off roading.

As am I! I'm tired of this stupid weather - count me in for anything on Sunday, preferably a trail ride.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    We definately have to get out and get more than a little dirty on Sunday... the roadies are gonna have to stay hung in the garage like bats.

This rain would really be ticking me off if I just hadn't come home from what I think was a smoking job interview.

Sep 2006
    i might not be available for sunday because if i make my tier one hockey the team on saturday i wont have 2 be there again on sunday so i'll try my best 2 make the team on saturday so i can ride on sunday. and its nice 2 hear that it should be sunny so that the trails can dry up. i havent rode in like 4 days! lol, i rode on average 2-3 hours a day once i got my new bike until it started raining.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    And when it rains it pours...

I just got a call from the LBS and they want me to come in to interview for a PT mechanic's position (that I applied for) and they asked me if I might also be interested in looking at sales as well since I seem to know a little bit about bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    hey evreyone, i'm a youg rider (14) with a new stumpjumper fsr expert lookin for some recommended edmonton trails 2 ride before the winter comes.

what type of riding are you into?? and what side of edmonton you live in?

it better not be rainy this weekend for rabbit i've been trying to go for the last month everytime my friend is busy or its rainy argh lol

and i had like a 3hour bike ride today in the rain skatepark/ravine got so muddy i think i wrecked my new shoes ahaha but yeah washed off my bike and then dryed it

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    cycle...meet derrie, derrie, meet cycle.

You guys sound like you could be twins as you're the same age and have the same bikes.

I think a good percentage of us ride XC and singletrack and for "old" guys we manage to nail things at some pretty good speed while some of the younger guys are more into urban and DH riding.

We also do a good deal of road riding (a la vintage).

If it rains this Sunday I am gonna come unglued as I have pretty much had enough of the wet stuff... I'll ride in nearly any kind of weather but would it be too much to ask for just a little bit of sunshine and dry trails ?

I live on the north side of Edmonton as does Excel, the Psycho one lives south of Millcreek Ravine and Ribald lives off Whyte ave.

We usually aim to meet in a central location so no-one has to travel too far...Millcreek is a pretty popular meeting spot as from there you can get in a little warm up on the singletrack and then head down the riverside and over to the forest and from there, who knows where we might end up.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Holy crud... I just realized that all but one of my bikes is older than you young chaps and a few are older than me.

I am gonna have to take the Kuwie out on Sunday and indulge myself in the full rigid vintage experience methinks... I just put on some new 1.75 Kendas (these probably would have been the original tire size on this '87) and would like to see how well they handle the trails and singetrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A ride on Sunday sounds like a fabulous idea... and on mountain bikes!

I'm tempted to ride the rigid team chance, but the tires on it suck if I hit any mud. I think it'll be a Jamis day.

A combination of my vehicle's death and the crappy weather cancelled my camping trip last weekend, so it is looking like I might have a season without getting into the mountains for some riding.

I don't think I have any competing plans for Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I can make it and now that I have a newish vehicle, I can get back to wrenching on bikes instead of greasy car parts.

Double-metric mtb man
    Actually, I'm west of Millcreek and a little off Whyte Ave...I probably live down the street from Rimbald and we've just never met (though he has seen me doing the commute on the Cake).

Sheesh...more rain (sp-> pain?) today. The singletrack is going to be nasty...the ride may end up being MUT central instead of the River Run (lower Ewok) and Ewok Forest proper.

I've got a serious riding itch now too....I'm about 70 km from having ridden the equivalent of Edmonton - Salt Lake City (since January) and only 140 km away from my goal of 1500 km this year. That 140 km is within the realm of 1 day of riding if I ever had a full day to go for it. Granted, it'd be a 6 hour ride but it is do-able.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - So...we're going on an epic (140 km) ride on Sunday ?

That trip out to Elk Island could still be a go if we get some decent weather and that would just ablut clear off that 140 you need to meet your goal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You guys sound like you could be twins as you're the same age and have the same bikes.
    lol I forgot to quote what he said instead i just copied and pasted so I don't have the same bike as him or age, im 13 and ride a bigfoot and i was asking what type trails he likes to ride lol
    Last edited by cycle...; 09-22-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Nov 2005
    Holy crud... I just realized that all but one of my bikes is older than you young chaps and a few are older than me.

I am gonna have to take the Kuwie out on Sunday and indulge myself in the full rigid vintage experience methinks... I just put on some new 1.75 Kendas (these probably would have been the original tire size on this '87) and would like to see how well they handle the trails and singetrack.
    what?? theres something older than you?

is it wrong i rip on you casue your old?

anyway, i just purchased a canon digital rebel XT and i was wondering if anybody wants to have a small photo shoot...preferably at rabbit hill, or some of the west end free ride trails.

i owuld just be shooting cause my chainstay snapped ( )...but i would like to head up to rabbit for a day. anyone interested

in the mean time i am off to take a driving test, wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    anyway, i just purchased a canon digital rebel XT and i was wondering if anybody wants to have a small photo shoot...preferably at rabbit hill, or some of the west end free ride trails.

i owuld just be shooting cause my chainstay snapped ( )...but i would like to head up to rabbit for a day. anyone interested
    Are the westend trails bikeable from southgate??? and ill talk to you about rabbit

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle...
    Are the westend trails bikeable from southgate??? and ill talk to you about rabbit
    well, they have these marvelous inventions called roads...bikes work rather well on them

ya, why are you always on mtbr and never msn??

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    never heard of these road things you must show me them sometime

i dunno why im not on msn lol

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    My sons are now 13 and 16 and took to ripping on me about my age until I took them on some epic rides and just about had to tow them home since they couldn't follow through on their promise to "ride me into the ground".

It was a great day to get in some riding and I opted to take the Kuwie out to handle the commute... those 1.75's have a great feel on the road and gravel and even in full commuting dress (paniers and fenders) the bike is still pretty lively and fast.

I love the all purpose and versatile nature of these classic mountain bikes.

Sep 2006
    well, i like fast, rooty singletrack trails. preferably a little bit muddy and fast downhills are my favourite some light freeride is great as well. i also live in the north west side of town. By the laurier heights school and laurier park.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrie
    well, i like fast, rooty singletrack trails. preferably a little bit muddy and fast downhills are my favourite some light freeride is great as well. i also live in the north west side of town. By the laurier heights school and laurier park.

haha, did you go biking today?

me and matt were talking about how you were crazy for going biking after a week of rain...guess we were right eh?

Double-metric mtb man
    No worse than me...I rode Wednesday (including in Millcreek, but that ended up being just a MUT run as the ST is massive wet and not in a condition to ride. I'm looking at riding down to Terwillegar tomorrow to find the run that goes to the Anthony Henday bridges....I know where to start now...hopefully I don't sink in too much after all this rain.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Tomorrow might be like...today.

I might be up for a spin later today but have to get a few z's and get over to the shop for our usual marathon bike building session and I am always pretty excited to see what has come in during the week.

Sep 2006
    well, i did go but just before we got 2 the trail we hit a sweet jump by the rio-terrace church and my friend got a pinch flat! So we had 2 walk it all the way through rio, across the bridge and halfway through laurier heights before we reached my house. so we patched up the tube and headed out again, only to realize his tire was flat again, there was more that one hole, dammit so we just called it a night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ribaldmanikin
    A ride on Sunday sounds like a fabulous idea... and on mountain bikes!
    I'm up for a ride Sunday. Like Sixty-Fiver and Excel, I'm on the northside. Just giive me a time & location to meet.

Rob

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    went to rabbit again today was great

Double-metric mtb man
    Whoowee....Terwillegar was soft today!

I rode down there to see if I could get to the Henday bridges via the park...well, no such luck (I know how to get there, but in seeing that downhill to the lower trails, I know I could ride it down, but I wasn;t sure I could even walk it up...waaayy too slick).

I do have pictures of a nice blue Cake with an extra pound or two of mud on it...in spite of trying to stay off the "bad" parts of the trails. Actually, the 10km ride home helped me lose a lot of it, so it isn't as bad as when I came off the trails. I'll post the pic if anyone is interested.

Anyway, is there a time/place for Sunday and any idea where the ride is going?

Mar 2006
    rabbit hill tomorrow anyone?

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I was wondering about the time and place for today's ride too and perhaps we should just say that we're gonna meet at Millcreek pool at 4 pm since Mike said that time worked for him and it works well for me too. If we're gonna be riding over the dinner hour we should contermplate a food / refreshment stop along the way.

I gotta get some z's (just came off he graveyard shift) but will be ready for anythng after 2 pm... Millcreek pool is always a good spot to start off from and by then I'll have figured out what I'm gonna be riding. If it's going to be mostly XC with not too much hard climbing or road sections the SS might be the way to go.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I may not be able to make it after all....I'll be at church until at least 4:30 today...then I still have to get home, change, clean up and lube my driveline after yesterday's mudfest (dry lube isn't the best after the last week o' rain) and so forth before I can head out.

If I had an idea as to the time you figure you'd be done, we could get you that wire, 65er.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm just about ready to head out here...I have to make a quick run to the store but should be ready to pull out of here at 3:30.

I have a few people's numbers (but not all)... I'll Pm a few folks and see if they can't call me so we can get coordinated.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Just talked to ribald...we'll be at Millcreek pool at 4 pm.

Jul 2005
    This sunday?? cuz im lookin for people to ride with tonight

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Basco - It looks you just missed us.

I just got back from what had to be one of the most intense and enjoyable rides of the year... Perrin, Ribald, and I hooked up at Millcreek pool and took off through Millcreek ravine and then headed east and ran the lower side at Riverdale (the forest would have been a mudbog), past the golf course, up to Capilano and then back via the north side of the river along the MUTS and singletrack sections.

It wasn't a long ride by our usual standards but it was surely one of the more intense little rips through the river valley.

I think we all rode our asses off today and I believe that we'll be looking at doing this again next weekend as long as the weather is good.

It would be great to see a few more people come out and if it's dry we'll be able to get out and hit more of the challenging singletrack.

Have A Drink On Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    No worse than me...I rode Wednesday (including in Millcreek, but that ended up being just a MUT run as the ST is massive wet and not in a condition to ride. I'm looking at riding down to Terwillegar tomorrow to find the run that goes to the Anthony Henday bridges....I know where to start now...hopefully I don't sink in too much after all this rain.

I was down in Millcreek on Wed. night, I wonder if that was you I saw in the parkig lot as we were getting ready to head out. I remember seeing a guy ride by on a GF. There were three of us, myself on my orange GF Advance, another guy on a orange Heckler and the third on a black Iron Horse. We had a black Focus wagon, white GMC full size and blue GMC full size.

It was a mess down there, but fun none the less.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BascoRider
    This sunday?? cuz im lookin for people to ride with tonight
    haha you could of rode with us...we had a little urban ride to test out the new camera, i need to figure out how to use the manual settings cause the auto didnt turn out to well.

ill post some in a second

Double-metric mtb man
    Not too sure....I came through on my way home after work (say 5:30-ish) and the combo of bikes and cars sounds familiar (esp. the Focus and the Heckler and Iron Horse). If the rider had a big blue backpack on, did a bit of a "catch a breath" loop the parking lot and then climbed the hill to the church near Scona Cycle, then it was definitely me

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    We are all gonna have to hook up on the same day at the same time methinks... I caught Mike at the end of today's ride although he was only driving down to see if he could catch us and drop off a massive spool of wire.

I'm thinking that next weekend we should have a ride and dine kind of day as a way to wind up the summer riding season and usher in the fall riding season. I have to rebuild my rear v brake before I take Jenny anywhere as I was making some adjustments to her tonight and the end of the tensioning spring snapped off.

I had so much fun singlespeeding today I had to go out for another spin this evening although I was on the other singlespeed and travelling at a much higher rate of speed.

It doesn't matter what you ride cause if you're riding it's all good.

Nov 2005
    It doesn't matter what you ride cause if you're riding it's all good.
    but dont pull a free rider, you should have seen me last night. i was just taking pictures as i broke the chainstay on my bike...so i was riding my brohers old bike (he is 10 btw)

the handle bars were loose in the stem (to the poiny i could take them out, i had to hand tighten the stem) the pedals were wobbely, the seat was crooked...it was a...fun, ride to say the least.

dont ride those, cause that aint ridning

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Freerider... that's not good and I hope the bike has been or will be properly serviced A.S.A.P.

My boys get their bikes checked before each ride to make sure everything is tight and working as it should as they're both bigger than me and can really lay a beating on a bike... they were also very lax about telling me when things aren't running right until I made some rule changes.

My new rule was that they help with the general maintainence and if they wait to tell me something is wrong with their bikes on a ride day, they will have to stay home and bikes that aren't working 100% don't go anywhere.

My dad was the same way...my first real bike was a hand me down and needed a little work before I could ride it and he made me help do the work to get it going. My 13 year old and I are going to be building up an SS for him to ride and by the time we're done he should have some much improved building skills.

I have to thank ribald for the generous donation of a free frame.

It wasn't long after that I was able to handle most of the general maintainence on my bike from changing tires and repairing flats to adjusting the chain tension on those old 1 speed and 3 speed bikes I rode as a kid. This was good because my dad worked in the north and could be gone for weeks at a time and then, as now, my bike was a really important part of my life.

10 is a good age for a kid to learn how to do thing like tighten stems and pedals and even my daughters will also have to learn how to do some of their own bike work although their little SS bikes are pretty much maintainence free.

My daughter's 3 speed cruiser is a step up on the maintainence curve and I can't wait to see her getting her hands dirty with her dad as we get it restored and tuned up.

Hey guys - if you want a free bike check, ECOS (Environment Coordination Office of the Students) at the U of A is offering them tomorrow. We'll setup near the east side of SUB, under the overhang at the bike racks.

I'm volunteering with them, so if you want some small things adjusted, bring it on down to me! (or just come by to say hi :P).

I'm volunteering 3 1/2 hours/week as a wrench to them this term.

Sep 2006
    i was at rabbit on sunday and it was great. it wasnt even wet or muddy. Edmonton chick, were u there? if u were, i was riding a red specialized stumpy fsr. my dad also tried riding my new bike and succeded in bottonming out the shocks on the smallest jump. i was with a guy on black with flames g-fisher wahoo and another friend was riding a grey and maroon hardrock pro.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Excel - When are you going to be down at the ECOS ?

I don't think I need any help turning wrenches but it would be nice to come by and say hi and if you're short a wrench turner I'm always happy to lend a hand and usually carry my own wrench.

I could pop by in the am if you're going to be there.

My shift runs from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. I think two other people are helping out with the bike checks. I don't think we'd turn down willing volunteers, but you'd have to ask "da boss" first .

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Crap... I'll be working at 1300.

Mar 2006
    i finally went out to rabit on sunday...hella fun. i think though if i were to get a pass i would ivest in a full face helmet...almost ate it a few times!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Chick
    i finally went out to rabit on sunday...hella fun. i think though if i were to get a pass i would ivest in a full face helmet...almost ate it a few times!

As long as it was "almost"

I was out on their 2nd day and was wondering how many blue and black trails they have now? Were the trails in good shape?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Mar 2006
    i dont think that all of the trails were open due to all of the mud but there were 2 of each trail on the right side of getting off of the chair lift and about 3 trails total on the other side...i was surprised but how few people there were there but i think its something that i would invest in for a season pass or something.

Nov 2005
    still no word from revolution about the frame...im going to call em tommorow

but, on the upside i have been figuring out how to work my camera these past days and here are some samples from the local riding spots

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm thinking that next weekend we should have a ride and dine kind of day as a way to wind up the summer riding season and usher in the fall riding season.
    I'm up for a ride this weekend. Forecast for sunday looks sketchy so Saturday may be the better option.

Perrin

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm hoping that today's weather is nice as I have every intention for getting out this afternoon (Sunday).

I was way too busy yesterday to even contemplate doing any riding.

I'll be up and about after 2 pm and probably looking to ride out at around 3:30 - 4:00 pm (just like last week).

Members who have read this thread: 0