Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton Vol. 3

Hey all....jusst making a shorter thread again and passing on an experience from my ride today.

Today I decided to get in a few km's headed east....so out I went beyond Sherwood Park towards where I used to live...not as far as Blackfoot / Elk Island, but a little jaunt in that direction. I was bucking the headwind on the way out, but other than that, the ride was pretty good. Saw a few Roadies heading into town, exchanged some nods and so forth...

What got my goat is the last roadie I saw today. I was a little ways down from one of the places I used to live and had pulled over for a quick break before heading back to town. At first, this seemed cordial...I nodded, he nodded back and kept riding. When I looked back up at him a couple seconds later, I noticed he was looking back at me, shaking his head and had the biggest look of contempt plastered on his face that I've come across to date. I don't usually let that sort of thing catch my ire, but today it just didn't sit right.

I spun up the Cake with the intention of drafting him back towards Sherwood Park...well with the bit of a tail wind now helping, I had my speed well up (35+ km/h ) and this roadie seemed to be checking his bar end mirror more and more as I kept closing. I don't think he was expecting me to pass him with quite as much vigor as I did (as in get yer jaw off the handlebar, buddy) and I opened up about a 1/2 km lead by the time I got to the first lights back into the edge of the Park. Opened it up a bit further before he turned off a little while later. Now I don't know how far he'd ridden or was planning to ride, but regardless, I think I surprised him a little bit with the pace I was setting.

As I said, I don't usually let things like that frost me...but it did today. That's okay though as it sure helped with my ride. I managed to average over 25 km/h and did something like 42 km in about 1 hour and 40 mins. Almost makes me fearful of what could happen if 65'er is successful at converting me to "the dark side" and getting my butt onto a retro road bike
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike -

If I'm successful ?

Muwahahahaha !!
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey... If you want a retro road bike without a commitment, I have an nice apollo hanging in my garage. I know the friend I'm storing it for is never going to come and pick it up... so an extended borrow wouldn't be an issue. It's kind of big though... I think it's a 60 cm frame.

Double-metric mtb man
    I have no idea about the size of road bike frame I'd need... But if it helps, I'm 6' and take a 34" inseam jean. I'd still be cautious about turing myself loose on a road bike (retro or otherwise) given my long distance endeavours on the Cake...I might like it, which would mean more longer rides, faster speed and who knows where that would lead

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike -

That Apollo would probably fit you like a glove.

Ribald and I could even turn you loose with a couple of road bikes for an extended test drive.

In other news...has anyone looked outside?

4pm is my ride time today and if you guys want to hook up at the usual location (Millcreek) that would be great.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    Nooooo, Rabit Hill is now closed for the season! i hear that they're upgrading quite a bit next year. o well, i had a good time there yesterday. but now i'll have 2 make my own dirt jumps if i wanna jump.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    rabbit is closed got around 5hours there today was fun saw a couple people i knew

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well... for the most part it was just me tearing up and down the trails but I did run into RParker and one of his friends down in the Ewok Forest and had a chance to chat a little.

I had so much fun ripping through the forest I made three laps through it before calling it a day and heading home on some very tired legs via the trails I rode in on..

I packed the camera and snapped a few pics...

"Jenny"

The SS conversion

Easier going down than it was coming up... I believe we have all seen this hill.

The river valley in all it's fall glory...

I live well beyong the skyscrapers in the far distance...

mtbr member
    very nice scenery there 65'er

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It is a beautiful city and the journey to the vantage point at McNaly was well worth the biking and hiking.

mtbr member
    i got some scenery shots as well last time i was out

not scenery, but i really like this shot

Double-metric mtb man
    Cool shots 65'er and freerider.

65'er, you're right...I know where the pics were taken from. How was Ewok tonight? Last time I was through, she was looking a little rough from all the folks riding in the wet.

I didn't end up getting out....company was here until 8:15 and then there was the cleaning up to do....oh well, I'll just have to ride a bit during the week to make up for it. BTW, I'm 51 km from the big 1500km goal for this year (woohoo!).

Okay, you and Rimbald have twisted by rubber arm....I'm game to give the Apollo or ?? a try and see if I can make a road bike work That being said, don't blame me if it gets really hard to get the bike back

mtbr member
    wow...1500, thats alot

good job man

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey 65'er....I think you'll enjoy my new sig

Thanks Freerider....I do a little more XC type stuff at present, so it is pretty easy to crank up the km's. Sometime, though, I'll have to hook up with a few FR types to learn a few more tricks to use on the trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Hey 65'er....I think you'll enjoy my new sig

Thanks Freerider....I do a little more XC type stuff at present, so it is pretty easy to crank up the km's. Sometime, though, I'll have to hook up with a few FR types to learn a few more tricks to use on the trails
    haha, you sound exactly like 2 people i know...head tech at where i work (sport chek) Mark. and my Building Construction teacher Mr. Adamson.

cept adamson is girly and ride road bikes (sorry)

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    cycle, i was at rabbit on sunday as well. i was riding a red stumpjumper fsr. i had a couple of friends u might have seen. a big goony gut riding a dark blue Norco Manik, a smallish guy on a dark blue rockhopper, another on a red rockhopper and another on an orange kona scrap. if u recognised anyone tell me and maybe i'll recognize u. i was mainly on the D Js.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    nah i don't think i saw you i was mainly on the trails until the last 40mins or so then on the djs what time were you there? i was riding a green norco bigfoot

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - I love the sig.

Freerider - If your bike has a "Hello Kitty" tread on the wheels... that's girly.

You must now know that after that comment, we will now be forced to make you ride a road bike so that you might know what kind of blinding speed and accelleration are possible without the need of a ski lift to take you to the top of some hill.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl today...

Besides taking a much needed day off and spending a good deal of time in the big bike shop today I realized that my new commute to work will force me to ride through the river valley and Millcreek Ravine on a near daily basis.

I have been planning a 180 degree change in careers and the new job will see me working as an apprentice machinist / welder in a large and well established shop here in the city.

My love of steel is going to be taken to a new level methinks.

Double-metric mtb man
    I take it you were successful and got the job Congratz, man. Now I know who to come to for parts for my trailer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    Mike - I love the sig.

Freerider - If your bike has a "Hello Kitty" tread on the wheels... that's girly.

You must now know that after that comment, we will now be forced to make you ride a road bike so that you might know what kind of blinding speed and accelleration are possible without the need of a ski lift to take you to the top of some hill.
    haha, alright, buy me a road bike....and ill ride it around at blinding speeds without using a lift

and hello kitty treads are NOT girly, i rock them on my bike

jk, but if they made them, id have em

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Freerider - Actually...they do make tires with a "Hello Kitty" tread pattern that leaves little paw prints everywhere you go although they are for those retro cruisers / beach bikes.

I was thinking that it might be an equally good thing if some of us old XC guys hooked up with you and your buds to pick up some tips and tricks that, although designed for urban riding, would probbaly be helpful on the trail.

On the road bike thing... I could loan you one if I knew your dimensions as I have road bikes with frame sizes ranging from 21 to 25 inches (50 cm - 63 cm). Another option would be to find a decent rigid mountain bike with more road geometry and hybridize it with slicker wheels and even a set of drop bars which would make it like a slightly beefier cross bike.

I'm 175 cm tall and most of my on road bikes have a 58-60 cm frame except for the Trek which a shorter (45cm) frame which is needed due to the different geometries of road bikes and modern mountain bikes.

Sizing is only a small aspect of fitting a bike as you have to take into account your own build... some people are longer in the legs and require taller frames with shorter top tube lengths while others are long bodied and need shorter bikes with longer top tube lengths

My Carlton and Miyata are 54's but have generous top tube lengths and longer stems which make them a good fit... many new bikes in this range seem to be pretty stubby and I can't ride them comfortably without modifying the stem lengths.

I'm going to ride my Superbe today, take things a little easier, and enjoy the gorgeous fall weather.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - I start the new job on the 16th and will be in your 'hood just about every afternoon and once I get settled in I'll be talking to the powers that be about the possibility of some custom fabrication of bikes parts. I'm sure there would be a good market for them here as long as they could be produced in a cost effective manner and the shop will do any kind of work people want from building small precision parts to components for 250 tonne overhead cranes.

I have another project in the works...we have a little Afghan boy on our bike waiting list who was injured and physically handicapped that needs some special mods done to a bike so that he can ride it (a tricycle) which will speed his rehabilitation, help him regain strength, and more importantly...let him ride with his little buddies.

If there was a reason for me to be able to build custom bikes, things like this would top my list.

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    my dad has a bianchi road bike from 10-15 years ago when he used to race so i've tried it out a couple of times lately and whoah baby is it fast. my friend was even riding a pocket bike (mini motorbike with 60cc) and i out raced him on some flats and down hill. unfortunantly i was too lazy 2 beat him up the hill

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Derrie - It's so easy to get pulled over to the dark side isn't it ?

I rode my Superbe ("Patty") all day and have to say that she is the sweetest rides I have ever had the good fortune to posess.

I saw a few of the old girls I had rebuilt and either sold or donated earlier in the year while I was running errands and was pleased to see that they were being well kept and well ridden.

One of them was a Raleigh "Lenton" 5 speed cruiser that I had worked on back in May and I was able to chat with the young lady riding it... she had purchased it from one of the local charities it was donated to and she said she absolutely loved the bike which had been performing flawlessly since she bought it. Since it was a quality Raleigh I would expect nothing less than bulletproof performance.

Besides toad bikes, old cruisers can also be quie addictive and I can only liken them to driving vintage cars with their shiny chrome, whisper quiet and smooth ride, and immense curb appeal.

I can't ride the Superbe without people asking me how old it is, where I got it, and there has been more than a few offers to buy it.

Despite her weighht, (41 pounds) Patty isn't a slowpoke on the road by any means... the accelleration might lag a little but her cruising speed is in the high 30's.

mtbr member
    Derrie - It's so easy to get pulled over to the dark side isn't it ?
    no derrie, dont go......

and whoa, the actually make hello kitty treads?....im debating how sick you would look rocking those on an urban assualt?

NOT

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe....but 65'er...I can already do blinding speeds on my FS machine! Does that mean I'll be going supersonic on a roadie?

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, when you're use to pushing 2+" of knobby tires on a "heavy" mountain bike, a 1" slick and "light" roadie frame can be a real surprise.

Good on ya for dabbling in the dark side

Double-metric mtb man
    Could be worse....it could be flowers instead of paw prints.

For the nuts out there like Mike Vandman (big time anti-mountain biker) I'm surprised there aren't any tires out there that look like dog paw prints. hehehe...No Mike, the bikes aren't leaving any tracks....it's all the dogs on the trail.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'd buy tires with a paw print tread pattern...

Mike - I figure theat once we pull you over to the dark side you'll be dropping people like flies on the climbs cause you already have some mad riding skills, you look like you've really gotten into some killer shape over the riding season, and it will only get better and better.

I figure the new job will whip me into some extra good shape as wrestling steel all day will be quite a workout and I see this as a great side benefit to getting to do something I've wanted to do for a long time and making a much better living.

I was in the bike shop the other day and my 87 year old co-volunteer and I were chatting... he's been a master tradesman (machinist / welder) for nearly 70 years and when I asked him if there was anything he couldn't do (tradewise) he said his only problem of late was learning how to use his new computer. Welding, machining, pipefitting, carpentry, wiring... you name it and he can do it.

I told him he was responsible for inspiring this career change and he simply lit right up and told me that I'd do fine since I he figured had the skills.

One could not recieve a higher compliment from this guy.

Double-metric mtb man
    Cool on so many levels, man.

Thanks for the compliment....I'm floored that someone who puts so many miles under his tires (3,000!! omg! do you sleep with the bikes too?!?!??) would compliment me on my skills...especially as I've only been back riding for a season and a half.

Now, about yor cool co-worker Would he have any suggestions for someone without a lot of MIG experience who is crazy enough to want to fabricate his own bike trailer? I've got access to a little Lincoln wire welder and know the recommended settings...other than that, I was going to use any excess steel from after I cut the parts to practice on.

Double-metric mtb man
    Woohoo....1,500 km on the year as of 10:45 this morning

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    nice job on the 1,500 clicks mike. and my mountain bike isnt that heavy. only 27.6 pounds on a large fs frame. I certainly prefer riding trails and freeride over road riding any day. i'm off the bike for the long weekend due to damaging my rear hub. i snapped the rear axel and knocked off all of the bolts holding on my disk! well i was doing some big jumps and then crack i couldnt stop, my wheel was ratteling so i looked down and slammed into a tree at high speed. i was ok but kind of annoyed.(good thing i was wearing my full face) looks likeI should have waited a couple of months and got a new enduro sl if i knew that i'd be jumping so much.
    So revolution gave me a brand new mavic xm317rim because i told them that they must have not tightend it properly.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - You deserve the props for the 1500... the only reason I've logged so many km is because I really hate driving with a fiery passion and over the summer I was logging mileage most non riding folks would consider insane.

I'm actually pretty thrilled that I'll now have a decent daily commute to and from work that should be something like a 30 km daily round trip that will "force" me to ride through Millcreek ravine on a daily basis.

So... I don't sleep with my bikes but I do take them for the occasional ride in the van,,, I took the Peugot down to the shop today so the guys could check her out and took a few minutes to pull the wheels off and smooth out a few dings that were probably caused by someone who got a little overzealous in trying to remove a tyre.

I also serviced a bunch of little bikes as we've pretty much taken care of all the bigger bikes that were on the floor waiting for work although there are still hundreds awaiting work that are just stored elsewhere in the building.

mtbr member
    Damn 65'er you're making me home sick The River Valey looks so sweet and inviting. I'm not a citizen but have been to Edmonton so many times it feels like home (especially since my Mum & sis live there) sadly I wasn't into MTBing in all those visits and never got out on any of those great trails except for a bit of hiking/walking in Hawrelac Park.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    LyNx - The river valley is simply gorgeous right now and this is my favourite time of year to ride as the temps are perfect, it's generally fairly dry, and after some of the leaves fall off the trees the improved trail visibility allows for faster runs through many sections.

We just finished thanksgiving dinner and as soon as I get tings tidied up the Peugot and I are going for a liesurely spin to work off some of the turkey.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...I did that before turkey yesterday and will be doig the same before ham tomorrow

The visibility and light are a little better on some of the trails now...just gotta watch out for some of the roots that are now hidden

mtbr member
    Yeh I know how the valley can look somewhat, never been there for the "proper" fall colours always just missed them since I got into ice hockey and always comes up for winter. We don't get anything like that here, we're only hot or hotter or rainy. Working right now on getting up there on a permanant basis and will hopefully have some news earlyish next year.

LyNx - The river valley is simply gorgeous right now and this is my favourite time of year to ride as the temps are perfect, it's generally fairly dry, and after some of the leaves fall off the trees the improved trail visibility allows for faster runs through many sections.

We just finished thanksgiving dinner and as soon as I get tings tidied up the Peugot and I are going for a liesurely spin to work off some of the turkey.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm gonna take the heir and the spare out for a little spin around Hawrelak park in a bit... there's plenty of yardwork to be done but I figure we should get in a ride while the sun is shining.

Perhaps we'll see some other MTBR's out there.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well, I'm 24 km closer to my goal of 5000 km and what an afternoon to be riding...

The heir and I saddled up the classics; he took his old CCM and I took the Kuwahara and we rode over to the Alberta Museum, blazed down down the hill into the valley, and then rode over to Hawrelak Park.

Running a full rigid gearie on 1.75's means you really have to pick some good lines on the downhill sections to avoid the drainage ruts but other than that, the bike is ideal for that rolling XC and singletrack. With the tires set at 38 and 40 the ride was downright plush and the bike hooked up well and climbed like a goat.

I have a theory that the skinnier tires work better for my 140 pound frame as they have a slightly smaller contact patch and concentrate my weight better on climbs.... I have to say there was no spinning out and the bike feels much more stable with these tires than it did with the knobbier 2.0's it came with.

We met some little friends along the way...

We rode out via the south side of the park and took a nice little ride along the singletrack to where the trail ends and then doubled back and climbed the 900 metres up and out before returning via Groat road.

On the downhill section back to the park I was able to take advantage of those skinnier tires and 114 gear inches... the looks on driver's faces when you pass them is priceless.

The boy on the trail (note he was was riding in his Crocs)... he's ridden this old bike on nearly every inch of trail in the city and although he's not as hard core as his old man he seems to have the same enthusiasm for hill climbs and can hit some insane speeds on flat ground.

" width="549">

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Sacrement!!!

I just rolled in after the second spin of the day and spin I did... I finished doing up the "new" wheels for my vintage Peugot Criterium bike and had to take ze old gal for a ride. I had some nice Araya wheels sitting in the shop and only had to swap the front axle to make them fit the much smaller Peugot dropouts.

I will have to bring her the next time we go for a vintage road ride and should get a prize for riding the oldest bike... I figure her to be at least as old as me based on the serial number and components..

Some of these names are going to sound greek to the younger folks...

The alloy wheels are quite a step up from the old (and battered) Rigida steel wheels and the braking is much improved although there was no need to replace the Mafac "Racers" (these are suhweet vintage brakes!). I replaced the old Maillard 5 speed freewheel (it needs rebuilding) with a Suntour with identical gearing. The Simplex group on the bike works great although I need to replace a damaged shift lever.

* A Criterium bike differs from a road bike in that it has steep frame angles, a BB height that exceeds my Trek's, and short cranks to facilitate sharp turns and quick accelleration. The gearing is also lower than a road bike in that the upper chainring is only a 45 and the highest rear gear is a 14.

You wouldn't want to go on epic rides on a Crit bike but they sure are blast to ride in those light to light sprints.

(66 km to go until I hit 5000)

mtbr member

2nd mention of this

All right 65er, this is the second mention of this 5,000km, what is it? Is this the miles for the year already or on a specific bike? Don't deal in KM's myself, prefer miles and in that I've done 3,543 or 5,668KM so far this year, but I guess being able to "pretty much" ride all year round makes it easier. Didn't help starting off the year coming back from a not so nice injury as it started off quite slow, not to mention our rainy season got dragged on later than usual and is now starting back up again and a 2nd injury to the back that netted me a whopping 147 miles for 1 month. That's road and off-road BTW.

(66 km to go until I hit 5000)
    Like the pics of the friendly little chickadee - think that's what it is.
    Last edited by LyNx; 10-10-2006 at 04:52 AM.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    LyNx - Despite our less than ideal climate and an injury that kept me out of the saddle for a number of weeks, I am just a few km away from hitting 5000 km since May of this year.

I too ride all year although not as much or as far in the winter.

The chickadees were adorable and I'll be taking my girls to the park today to feed them as they'll be thrilled to be doing the feeeding while the chickadees are more than eager to take a little more food to sock away for the winter. They don't eat all the seeds but take them and stuff them away for later.

mtbr member
    Damn since May That's a lot for 6 months. How's the winter riding in Edmonton? Never been down onto the trails really when the snow set in 'cept to see the lights in Hawrelac. BTW is you NIC indicative of your age?

LyNx - Despite our less than ideal climate and an injury that kept me out of the saddle for a number of weeks, I am just a few km away from hitting 5000 km since May of this year.

I too ride all year although not as much or as far in the winter.
    Yeh I remember them doing that also when I was there feeding them, can't blame them though - free food and winter coming on strong, stash it away while you can.

The chickadees were adorable and I'll be taking my girls to the park today to feed them as they'll be thrilled to be doing the feeeding while the chickadees are more than eager to take a little more food to sock away for the winter. They don't eat all the seeds but take them and stuff them away for later.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    A good friend of mine and I started calling ourselves 65'ers as that was the year we were both born... sadly, she passed away earlier this year due to complications arising from what was a rather minor car accident.

She was an avid bird watcher (among many other things) and I can only guess that she would have loved to be down feeding the chickadees at Hawrelak park yesterday as this was one of her favourite places to go and our last conversation was actually about a planned bird watching expedition to Hawrelak park.

Double-metric mtb man
    Nice pics 65'er....gotta love the really friendly chickadees....reminds me of the sparrows my Grandmother and I fed in Skansen (a historical park kinda like Fort Edmonton, only older) in Stockholm, Sweden.

Double-metric mtb man
    Oh boy, Lynx, the trails in Edmonton in the winter can be a hoot!

Last year was the first time I tried winter riding. Throwing a good set of knobbies on (or even studs) is a definite advantage. Most of the trails are pretty good....unless we get a major snow dump (had 2 days with 1' or more dropped on us this spring...dang hard to ride through snow up to the QR's) or until we get into the warmer days and get freeze/thaw cycles to ice things up.

You get a lot more light into some areas in the winter, which is a big change from the summer where you almost need a light to ride during the day...unfortunately, the light doesn't last long It is part of the reason I bought a decent night riding light for my ride.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I went on a few rides around New Year's last year. The freeride hardtail performs admirably well in the cold weather, and my 'Zoke remains reletively plush.

The wraparound 661 leg pads I own are perfect for winter riding. I want to get into cross country skiing this year (I hear its a tortuous workout... excellent), so I'm crossing my fingers for snow on Halloween .
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    My Trek served me well through last winter with a set of uber knobby bargain Kendas and will likely see some more good winter use, albeit as an SS, with the same knobby Kendas.

Winter is going to be special project time around here and if I get the garage sorted out there will even be room for folks to stop by and warm themselves around the stove as we recall our past riding adventures and plan new ones.

I'm thinking that a cross bike would be a fun winter build and the Trek 7500 I found this afternoon might just have something to do with that

All I really have to do is replace the high rise hybrid bars with decent headset, stem, and conventional riser bars and lighten up that factory Trek chromo front fork with something lighter as they weigh a freaking ton. All the other parts are perfect for a cross project... it has Alex 2100 and Bontrager double walled rims, 24 speeds on an LX and SRAM group, and Schwalbe Marathon tires in that lovely 28 by 1.75 sizing.

I've really hit a critical mass thing with bikes here but can't resist a good deal when it comes my way, especially when it runs on those big wheels and promises to be run out nearly as fast as my road bikes and still be able to hit the trails and singletrack.

Now I have to work on culling the herd I have here and thankfully, I think I foound homes for those lady's cruisers and will post a few ads for the others I can live without.
    Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-10-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Sixty-Fiver, if you ever want to donate anything away (or find anything worth donating ), ECOS is looking to expand to 45 bikes this year (10-15 above our current total).

Our fleet ranges from bikes I would love to own (awesome SS cruisers and excellent vintage MTB's) to "Oh-my-God-I-should-not-be-riding-this".

We buy all of our spare parts from MEC, and the entire fleet is donated/recovered bikes.

I spent two hours rebuilding a stupid (but sooo vintage awesome) Campy derailleur today... bugger wouldn't go back together in the same way I took it apart. Just another one of those "I hate this stupid f*#$%'ing part!" days .

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I might have some donations for ECOS although I do have to sell a few of the bikes to make sure I cover my free repairs and an impending purchase. Anything I send over probably won't need any rebuilding either which is good becayse MEC doesn't carry vintage parts.

A vintage Campy deraileur might be worth enough to buy a decent bike... the Simplex 543 on my Peugot PLX is apparently worth something in the neighbourhood of 600.00 U.S. due to it's rarity (but it's staying where it is).

Other vintage component groups are also worth some serious money to those who restore vintage bikes.

I'd love to come by and see the bikes ECOS has as I am a fiend for vintage rides of all kinds.

On other news...if the sun comes out tomorrow I am definately going for an after work ride "a la vintage" as I really want to give the Peugot Crit and it's shiny new wheels a good road test.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear

Very sorry to hear that 65er
    A good friend of mine and I started calling ourselves 65'ers as that was the year we were both born... sadly, she passed away earlier this year due to complications arising from what was a rather minor car accident.

She was an avid bird watcher (among many other things) and I can only guess that she would have loved to be down feeding the chickadees at Hawrelak park yesterday as this was one of her favourite places to go and our last conversation was actually about a planned bird watching expedition to Hawrelak park.

mtbr member
    Yeh I imagine it could be, but how's the cold treat suspension forks and shocks? Bet rigid is the way to go and even better SS rigid so there's nothing really that needs to move/shift. I know I don't mind getting out on a nice -25 winter day w/ crystal clear blue skies and going for a walk, but not sure it's be that nice at a good clip on a bike, bike prob wouldn't perform too well at that temp anyways

Oh boy, Lynx, the trails in Edmonton in the winter can be a hoot!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    My Trek HT performed really well last winter..the shocks get a little stiffer at colder temps but still worked well but the new rigid 7500 might very well end up being my favorite winter bike.

My '04 Z-150 stays very plush during the winter. I was outside riding, it was around -10C, and the fork still felt great.

I'll make sure to look up that Campy derailleur... if we're lucky it might finance 5 new police auction bikes, or more.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I think I'm just as addicted to building bikes as I am to riding them.

I was sourcing out parts for my 7500 today and and got to scope out some rides and parts at River Valley Cycle... I have to say that the '06 Kona Hei Hei is an absolutely droolworthy lightweight (23 pound) FS bike and that year end clearouts are a good thing if you happen to be looking for things like shocks... I was really tempted by the great sale price on the super tuneable Manitou Black Elite 100-120 mm fork but thankfully, I was in 700c mode.

It's gonna be great just working down the street from RVC methinks

From there I popped over to United, inadvertently ended up assisting in making a bike sale (should I ask for a commission ?) and actually found some old quill stems so I can replace the adjustable stem and bars on the 7500 with a low rise bar and play with some height adjustments before I do a final upgrade on the 7500's front end.

I got to look over the '06 7500 and 7.6 FX and figure my old 7500 is closer to the 7.6 and in build than the new 7500 which has become a shadow of it's former self with a lighter frame and light suspension forks.

After I saw what the 7.6 FX lists for here I am even happier at the price I paid for my gently used 7500 as even if I upgrade it with a new carbon fork, threadless headset, stem, and middle of the road carbon bars I'm still only going to be into the bike for perhaps 1/3 of what the new one costs and have a really sweet high speed commuter / xc bike for that upcoming daily run through Millcreek Ravine.

Double-metric mtb man
    Ditto here, man.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, my Manitou got a little slower with the winter temps and it's oil, but in general, it isn't too bad riding in winter...you just have to prepare for it is all.

Double-metric mtb man
    Funny you should mention RVC, 65'er....I was in there just yesterday grabbing a set of eggbeaters for the Cake Now I just need to find a long, strong pedal wrench to get my current left pedal off and get the 'beaters on.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Give me a few days Mike and I should have a longer stonger pedal wrench built from scratch...

Double-metric mtb man
    Good thing....those heavy duty wrenches are worth their weight in gold! My left pedal is on something fierce, in fact I killed the little pedal wrench I had here and even the 6 mm hex with a long ratchet arm didn't like it.

I'll likely drop by Hardcore tonight and have them bust it loose (they put them on, after all) and go from there.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    The death rate among so called decent pedal wrenches is appalling (even the Park wrenches have a high wear rate)... I think the LBS and local gearheads might even appreciate a first rate quality tool like this if I can bring it to market.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm not surprised....when you consider how much torque a decent rider can put on the driveline of a bike...

In my case, I can probably max out at over 150 ft-lbs of torque on the cranks (crap, that's more than my car puts out!) when I'm standing on it and pulling on the bars to give it all I've got (I'm 235lbs w/o gear and run 175mm arms). The pedals are the transfer point from rider to frame and lets not forget that the pedals are threaded to tighten, rather than loosen, while riding.... sheesh...definitely need a good pedal wrench

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I know this little guy who weighs in at a buck forty (when wet) who has bent a few axles in his time and is going to need to borrow a sturdy wrench to remove a stuck pedal on one of his bikes that also has 175 mm cranks.

It's probably because he's often standing up and hammering those bikes up the hill instead of sitting and spinning.

Double-metric mtb man
    hmmm...sounds like a guy I think I've seen riding around every once in a while...little shorter than me, thin build, 140lbs with not a lot of internal padding, butt rarely touches saddle, likes retro bikes...sound familiar?

hehehe

Anyway, the 520's are off, the eggbeaters are on....all it took was something with a decently long handle to make short work of the job.

mtbr member

Strange

Hum strange, I weigh between 170-180 and I love to get out the saddle and hammer yet I have never had a problem removing a pedal. Not sure if it's the climate of prep when installing them - use a generous bit of grease - but I only used to use the alan key, now use the cone wrench, pedals don't creak or anything so they're tight enough yet never to tight to get off.

I know this little guy who weighs in at a buck forty (when wet) who has bent a few axles in his time and is going to need to borrow a sturdy wrench to remove a stuck pedal on one of his bikes that also has 175 mm cranks.

It's probably because he's often standing up and hammering those bikes up the hill instead of sitting and spinning.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I always clean and grease my pedal threads so it usually isn't a problem after I've serviced a bike but when you're often working on bikes that are well over 20 years old and often still have their original pedals, you need to have a serious wrench and need to know the proper curse words.

I am really hoping we get a little decent weather this weekend so that we can all get out and see if we can't hit the trails for a little while.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm thinking that Excel and I are gonna head out for a spin tomorrow although we haven't discussed what what or where we'd like to ride... if there's a little snow (and it's not bitterly cold) then I'll be taking the Trek cause I'm gonna ride regardless.

Snow just makes the post ride hot beverages taste better.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Tomorrow's forecast is for freezing rain in the am followe by snow in the afternoon... it sounds like the riding could be really fun later in the day.

Double-metric mtb man
    At 235lb w/o gear, even though I prefer to "sit and spin" hills, I still get standing a lot with my riding style (fairly agressive, like going over things rather than around) and I put fairly good miles under the wheels. For my "shop" (laundry room) I will need a proper pedal wrench in the future...my little one is good, but couldn't handle this last pedal....a proper wrench made really short work of it.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'd be with you, but I'm doing church stuff in the morning and until about 4, then I'm volunteering at Cirque de Soleil in the evening.

I'm sure hoping we can get back to "average" weather....I'd like a chance to really torture test the eggbeaters before it gets too snowy (that test will come later).

I'm up for road, trails, anything. I don't really want to thrash the singletrack with my mountain bike when it's wet - the Minions really seem to tear everything up, even though there's around 40% tread left.

I would love to go on a spin through the frozen wasteland that might be the Alberta countryside tomorrow .

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Heya...

I just have to run a few errands his afternoon and if all goes well I'll be back in a few hours and will be more than up for a spin... the weather actually doesn't look too shabby and a spin down the trails might be in order.

Excel - I'll ring you when I get back.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    At 235lb w/o gear, even though I prefer to "sit and spin" hills, I still get standing a lot with my riding style (fairly agressive, like going over things rather than around) and I put fairly good miles under the wheels. For my "shop" (laundry room) I will need a proper pedal wrench in the future...my little one is good, but couldn't handle this last pedal....a proper wrench made really short work of it.
    Good tools are worth their weight in gold and a shop to use them in is even better...

On that note, I decided that in addition to putting in a 2500 - 3000 gallon pond where 1/2 my garden spot is now I'll be building a free standing shop on the othe half of the garden that should come out to around 400 square feet... I should have room for a decent fridge...

I figure that I'll be able to work on bikes, weld up frames, and watch my fish at the same time.

Double-metric mtb man
    I can just see it now....you'll weld up a couple old mountain bike frames into a recumbent fishing seat that you can pedal to work the rod and reel

Double-metric mtb man
    If things go the way that the weather man says, I may get a chance to see how my big light does on snowy trails in the not too distant future...oh well. It'll happen soon enough as is.

Edit: D'oh...this was supposed to be a reply to 65'er on his weather comment....the joys of typing when half asleep.

Double-metric mtb man
    Woohoo...night riding when it is snowing is fun!

Ok...other than the fact I didn't put my fenders on and had a stripe up my rump...

Just had to do an errand tonight so I saddled up the Cake and did a little 5 km run to the library and back. I'm sure glad I invested in a good light. Didn't need any more than the 12W setting and it was sure a nice effect with the light playing off the snow.

Also, for those who are into light weight, minimalist pedals....I had a chance to try out the Eggbeaters tonight. Gobs more float than my 520's have, a little wider sweep for getting out (I've got the cleats in for the 20 degree vs the 15 degree disengagement) and will take a little while to get used to getting into as it is a little different than the shimanos, but overall, I like 'em a lot. (Heck, if I continue to like them, I may have a set of 520's available for cheap )

Hope everyone is having fun and staying warmish

mtbr member
    my bike is broken, so im uber pumped its finnally snowing, who here skis/rides?

excuse me while i go shoot myself for saying uber

edit: rides snowboards

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I think that by their nature, fishing chairs are recumbent but adding a pedal powered system to reel in those gigantic goldfish might be a good idea...

I figure that I won't have too much time to get in the saddle this week except for any commuting to and from work as I'll be working for 8am to 9pm for the entire week.

I started the new job and am still working PT evenings at the old job to tie up loose ends and transfer over responsibilities.

Besides that, I need to talk to the guys in the welding shop and see about welding up a decent bike rack...

Double-metric mtb man
    Get on them quick....otherwise I may be up to speed before it gets done I've got things lined up for this weekend to get the steel and possibly get the parts cut. I should have enough left over to do some practicing with the wire welder and fiddling with any grinding that'll need to be done to make nicer welds on the trailer.

Speaking of trailers....the Edmonton Bike Commuters has a little article about them in the "gear" section of their new website. If mine works out, I may allow them to distribute the plans I came up with (or just post 'em myself).

Double-metric mtb man
    Wow, 4 days without a post...the cooler / snowy / rainy weather must have put a bit of a damper on us all!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I was thinking the same thing but if anyone has looked outside they will have seen the sun a shining.

I have about an hour's left of "honey do's" and then I'm heading out for a spin and as always would like some company... I am going to time my ride from home to work so will be taking a spin through the river valley and Millcreek Ravine and think I'll take the Kuwie as it's probably going to see the bulk of my winter commuting duties and can also handle the trails after work.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...what a fun ride we had, 65'er! By the time I got home, it was about 38 km....roughly double what I thought it'd be today.

I hope Mrs. 65'er isn't too miffed I kept you from more of the "honey do's." oh...and thanks for the tea...don't know if I thanked you while I was there or not

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    That was a splendid ride even though some guy with a noisy disc brake and a blinding headlight kept dogging my tail... LOL.

But seriously... you can be a hard guy to keep up with.

I am always mightily impressed at how well that rig of yours rolls out and what kind of speed you can get (especially on those downhill runs) and loved the chance to do some further road testing out those new 1.75's. The climbs were pretty much effortless on those flat sections and I was astounded to have nailed that muddy climb by Laurier park... the Kuwie was already a great hill climber but the skinnier tires seem to get nearly as much traction as the old 2.0s and maintaining that higher spin rate is far easier.

I think I am going to test those same tires on the Trek and see if my theory about lighter guys and skinnier tires holds true.

It only figures that as soon as my knee is feeling 100% I'd go and pull a muscle in my chest so I might not get to ride the SS as hard as I'd like...I'm a pretty sore camper tonighht but that mihgt have as much to do with the tons of steel I moved as it did with riding.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...I can be a hard guy to keep up with? You seemed to be on the fender pretty hard any time I was leading...though sorry about the hills. Man, I can tell the weather is changing....my chest has been pretty nasty the last little bit (the joys of asthma, a bit o' sniffles and the change in weather). I wasn't quite blackstrap in January, but I sure felt that way. I'm just glad I could hang with a guy half my size on a lighter bike with a wider gear range, thinner tires and a few thousand more km's under his wheels this year

The light is definitely nice for any time after 6pm in Edmonton from October to April...and I was only running it at 2/3 power

The brake won't be an issue now...I hauled out the adjustable wrench when I got home tonight and spent about 20 mins truing it up....I'll see how it goes when I ride it, but "on the stand" it isn't rubbing at all any more and seems to spin free and clear.

The hill: I knew the moment I hit the well used line on the Quesnel climb that I was going to be walking it...the Panaracers are good all around dry tires....but what we have for mud sucks them in and spits them out. Nice that I had the torque to spin myself almost sideways (as in going for horizontal) before I bailed: but I lost any and all hope of climbing once the rear packed up

I still think about the different feel of those Biopace cranks on your Kewie...a lot different that round rings, that is for sure.

Oh well...if it is any consolation, the 37km's left my legs a little tired today too....but we kept up a pretty good pace overall.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Whoop !

I finally picked up the new old Trek 7500 Multitrack this evening and just came in from a short but most enjoyable spin around the 'hood.

It's pearly white, fully rigid (7000 ZX frame and Trek chromoly forks), has 24 wide ranging gears, 700c wheels and tires, and some some nice components (Deore LX and SRAM twisties) that are going to get a little better.

It rolls out like the SGP (she's very fast) and rides extremely well on those kevlar belted and nearly bulletproof Schwalbe Marathon 1.75's.

As soon as I get the rack and paniers on she'll be ready for the commute through the river valley and Millcreek ravine and I was already thinking I will call her Blanche.

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    Freerider, wat u gonna do about your broken bike?
    I also ski btw.
    Luckily i was out a couple of times on the weekend doin some sweet jumps and drops i've made with some friends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrie
    Freerider, wat u gonna do about your broken bike?
    I also ski btw.
    Luckily i was out a couple of times on the weekend doin some sweet jumps and drops i've made with some friends.

cool

ive been sitting at home and going to school for the past couple of weeks.....not a spec of bike has touched my aching hands im lost without my bike....

is it wrong ive been praying for snow?

Double-metric mtb man
    Only if it dumps so much that I can't ride

Derrie
    Sep 2006
    wow, freerider. you must have been praying pretty hard to get all this snow.
    i'm gonna go to the tobogganing hill to make some big jumps. last year i cleared people on my G.T.! Gotta see if i can break that record. Maybe i'll try some snow riding on my good old G.Fisher Wahoo. Anyone ever had any luck making jumps out of snow for bikes? lol

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Wow...just look at all that snow !

I can't see myself not riding unless it gets truly nasty and weather like this is great for riding...

Freerider - If you need a backup / winter bike send me a PM...someone just gave me a mid 90's CCM rigid 18 speed in fine shape that looks like it might serve as a decent winter bike / commuter. I also thought it would be a decent candidate for an SS conversion.

I think I'm gonna take a little ride this afternoon and will probably ride the SS down to the "Cup" to see if the fireplace is going and listen to the live music they have every Sunday afternoon.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    What a great day for a ride... it's a balmy -8C (14F) out there and snowing just a little bit.

I decided to saddle up the Kuwie to see if those Kendas were as good in the snow as they are everywhere else and I am most pleased... the roads are snow covered and icy but the tires hooked up really well with virtually no slippage, even on climbs.

I saw a few other hard core riders out there today and all of them were riding older rigids like myself... I sometimes think if I could only have one bike it would be the Kuwie since it does everything I ask of her pretty well.

I had to stop by MEC and pick up some new wind pants and scored some waterproof and windproof "Breeze" trail running pants for $33.00 (reg price)... the knees are articulated so they offer great mobility and weigh next to nothing so I can keep them stashed in my pack year round.

mtbr member
    haha, i prayed really really hard.....and then it was there.

but, on a serious note.

wait

thats all i have to say

Double-metric mtb man
    Well...I won't have the Cake out this week I'm in Saskatoon for work. Almost wish I could brought the bike with me....almost no snow here.

mtbr member
    damn you guys are boring......we need some more bike talk.

if i cant ride i wan to know what you people are up to.

any trail repairs latley, getting ready for winter
    any riding being done
    what you guys do when you cant ride
    hows life

lets see some more talk going on, were all friendly here

come on, yoiu guys are getting boring here

Come to the east side of SUB between 8 - 10 am tomorrow for free hot chocolate!

If you're on a bike, that is . Bring a mug, too.

I'm working the 9 - 10 shift.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    if i cant ride i wan to know what you people are up to.

any trail repairs latley, getting ready for winter
    any riding being done
    what you guys do when you cant ride
    hows life

lets see some more talk going on, were all friendly here

I've been working my behind off of late putting in some 12 hr days so my riding and shop time has been pretty limited.

I have been working out the details on a custom repair stand that I'll be fabricating at work and will post some photos once I get all the parts built and the thing is assembled. It will be adjustable at every axis and it might even have a handy hydraulic height adjustment built in.

My next bike project will be an easy one... my late 60's Peugeot Crit bike is going to get turned into an DS (dual speed) Cross bike since it already has the gorgeous Reynold's frame, uber high BB clearance, and Mafac Racer brakes (which are exceptional for cyclo-cross bikes). It needs some high traction tires (Tiogas are leading on this one) and the rear wheel needs to lose it's gears... I am going to run it as a dual and leave the front double (a 38/45) intact.

Life is really busy, but also really good.

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang...I'm just boring then. I'm working out of town. No bike, just work On the plus side, the helper on the auger rig I'm sampling with is another rider from Regina. We're having a great time chatting bikes and trails. If he gets to Edmonton in the next year, we're going to have to take him a few places: Ewok, Terwillegar and Rabbit Hill

The trailer has been running through my head...I know what I need to do to get to the next stage...now I just need to be home long enough to get some of it done.

mtbr member
    there we go.

i dont know if i could work 12 hour shifts.....but it fees like im working all the time cause i have no where to relieve the pressure (ie. biking)

damn, im missing my trails, my jumps, my bike

oh well....snow is here, that means snowboarding starting next week

post up some winter scenery, ill be the photog tommorow doin some winter scenes, lets see what im up against

mtbr member
    ya, well winter photography didnt happen. snow valley called....so i was obliged to answer...maybe monday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0