Riding in Edmonton - the Spring 2010 thread!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Edmonton - the Spring 2010 thread!

No sense posting in the Winter thread anymore as most of the snow is gone and the trails are in amazing condition for this time of the year!
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

About time someone started this thread.

I was afraid of jinxing it though and bringing down 50 cm of snow on our heads.

mtbr member
    So is this thread ONLY for spring? I've been out a few times this year, but not too much given that it's April. Looking forward to May. Updated my Elixirs to Hope Tech V2s, but I've got some issues going on with them (squeal, vibrations). Hopefully I can get it sorted out this week. I should be up for a Sunday ride if anybody is getting out. We should be caught up on personal taxes by week's end.

mtbr member
    Managed to get out yesterday for a bit (sorry Gord, was a last minute thing). Saw a coyote in Mill Creek about 20 feet away from me, just eye-balling me. Saw our local bald eagle that lives in the valley down by the Kinsmen (first sighting for me although other family members have seen him a few times). Made it up to rooty trail where I dabbed about six times. I think that the trail is more rooty than last year, but I may just suck.

And I got bad enough chain suck where I had to break my chain and rethread. I think it's my new rings - Race Face. I should have gone Shimano but Pricepoint doesn't carry them.

mtbr member
    I was out on Sunday for about 2 hours. The Canada Cup course is generally in good shape with s few soft spots here and there but nothing to worry about. The climb just past the chain link fence is still covered in snow so we give Old Timer's Cabin a spin - a bit icy near the spring (just past the outflow crossing) and quite a bit of erosion over the winter made the side hill pieces a bit sketchy, but all together it was in good shape, especially the pieces used for the CC pro track. Ewok is in prime condition as is the Forest Heights slalom trail.

Any other reports? There were some icy sections on Route 66 still during the Easter weeekend - have those cleared up? The switch backs were especially bad. Trails out by the Jewish Community Center were also quite icy on the uphill and downhills but the flat sections were generally dry.

Edit: Forgot to mention Groat Roller Coaster and Victoria's Secret were also in good condition as of the Easter weekend

mtbr member
    Any rides for Sunday?
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 04-13-2010 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    sounds like we will be having a RVC Team ride on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Did you hear about that through email or face to face? Need to check to make sure I stay on top of these team rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have run the FT. Sask trails a few times, they are in pretty damn good shape. Little bit muddy and leafy, but a very fun ride.

Mud, Sweat and Gears group rides start this thursday, hoping that one will be a good start to the season.

The first couple rides sure let you know how out of shape i am from the winter, darn near killed me.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpits
    I have run the FT. Sask trails a few times, they are in pretty damn good shape. Little bit muddy and leafy, but a very fun ride..

Ft. Sask........you don`t say ! I kind of thought it would be ready now , this may change my plans for Saturday

btw , welcome to the boards
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Great weather for yesterday's ride. Four of us made it out and that one dude is fast! No mechancials and overall, I felt pretty good about the ride. Still need to HTFU and get 'er done on some areas, but I'm still pretty happy. Can't wait to get my ass kicked (hard) this Sunday!

mtbr member
    Great weather for today's race! It will be a doubleheader race weekend next weekend in Terwillegar. Saturday's race will be organized by United Cycle and Sunday's race will be organized by River Valley Cycle.

ABA membership is NOT required, BUT you do require a 2010 club membership.

mtbr member
    Fun times yesterday. My legs are still shot. Can't wait for next Sunday's race!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I made it to terwillegar to check out the race on sunday, and am interested in trying my hand at it next weekend, how would I go about getting a club membership

mtbr member
    You can stop into one of the local bike shops who have a race team. A club membership will also allow you to participate in club rides and get in-shop deals. Here is the details for RVC - club membership there is $50 http://www.rivervalleycycle.com/inde...le-racing-2010

If you want to participate in the Fat Tire Tesday races at Terwillegar (runs May to July) you will also require a club membership.

mtbr member
    Made it out last night for a quick hour ride. Trails are all dry and fast. Some ice still down in the Mill Creek. Cleaned an area in the Mill Creek that I've always bailed out on before. A few riders out last night, but pretty quiet. Trails are a bit dusty in the River Valley, but hopefully we get some rain soon.

Legs are still pretty shot from Sunday's activities.

mtbr member
    Here is the info for Sunday's race. http://bikealberta.com/?p=1891 Still no official word on Saturday, but we should see something soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    Ft. Sask........you don`t say ! I kind of thought it would be ready now , this may change my plans for Saturday

btw , welcome to the boards
    Regarding your Hopes, give them a fair bit of time to break in. My set finally broke in last weekend and they are superb brakes. Took a long time to properly bed the pads, so your Ibis might need a few more runs yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rode the trails in the Fort last Saturday. Everything is dry and rideable it was a blast. If you havent made it out there before go for it and enjoy yourselves the trails are nice continous challenging single track a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    going out to Terwillegar park tommorrow around dinner time if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    after Gord gave me a serious beating on Sunday i've been riding hard this week. I don't think my fitness will there by the weekend but I'm really hoping to be in better shape by May, and I should be really ready to race in July.

I haven't decided which race I'm doing this weekend. Saturday doesn't really work for me. I might just race Sunday.

mtbr member
    Race Sunday so that I can match up against you. I want to know how my heavy ass fairs against you, Gord, and the rest of the familiar faces.

mtbr member
    Good race today! Felt like I was going to faint from overheating, heart beating too fast, legs going numb, hands that couldn't find the power to hold the bars, etc, etc! This course was much more fun than last week's race. The last downhill with the deep water errosion ruts was the highlight for me, as well as the bowl jump.

Guess there's nothing now until the first May Tuesday night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yeah it was fun being my first race my only goal was to finish and I did that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessekgoddard
    yeah it was fun being my first race my only goal was to finish and I did that.
    Good work man. I have a respect for anyone who finishes a bike race. They are hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Good race today! Felt like I was going to faint from overheating, heart beating too fast, legs going numb, hands that couldn't find the power to hold the bars, etc, etc! This course was much more fun than last week's race. The last downhill with the deep water errosion ruts was the highlight for me, as well as the bowl jump.

Guess there's nothing now until the first May Tuesday night.
    what happened at the end? I heard you behind me on that muddy climb on the second lap and they i didn't see you behind me at the finish. I had to sprint against Annie for 6th.

It was a good race. I loved the jump, although i was having too much fun and got too much air on lap two and actually lost a few seconds to the guy behind me who didn't hit the jump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109
    what happened at the end? I heard you behind me on that muddy climb on the second lap and they i didn't see you behind me at the finish. I had to sprint against Annie for 6th.

It was a good race. I loved the jump, although i was having too much fun and got too much air on lap two and actually lost a few seconds to the guy behind me who didn't hit the jump.
    The "end" was actually a bit of a ways from the end of the climbs. I was gaining ground on the downhills, but losing time on the climbs. That mud climb did me in and I never recoverd. Next time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone have a rough guess how long the course was?

mtbr member
    someone told me 4.something km (around 4 1/2 km ish i think) I don't remember the exact distance. Gord probably knows, i think he helped map out the course.

mtbr member
    4.4km according to my cyclometer. Last Sunday's race was 6.4km long.

mtbr member
    perogy looks like it should be fun. Plenty longer. 26.4km. It should be a lot of suffering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone know where I could find some pictures of the last spring race, i've seen the ones from the first but havent found any from the second or third and know there were a few people out shooting

mtbr member
    I'm guessing Facebook, Jesse. I'm not on Facebook, but I'm always getting second hand information from fellow riders who found information I'm looking for on Facebook.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics from last Sunday http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mtbr member
    Did a 4.5hr ride today and stayed to the ST for the most part. Someone has rebuilt the North Shore pieces in Cambodia and it is looking awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    was in Hardcore yesterday and fat tire tuesdays will start this week if the weather isnt horrible

mtbr member
    Wow there is some awesome pictures of me in that photstream. Were those Sheldon's?

Trying not to get passed by a girl. She eventually passed me but I hung on her wheel and got her by a wheel length at the line. In my defense Anne is really fast.

It seems all the pictures are just me about to be passed. Good picture though.

I'm always happy to be riding my bike.

rides with camera
    Those are some good shots , I want to try to get out to an event with my camera this year .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    First ABA event in the Edmonton area is Sunday May 16th in Terwillegar. http://bikealberta.com/?p=1906

Tell everyone you know about the race, even those who have never raced before as RVC has purchased special event insurance for this event to cover people that do not have race licenses (but are still members of ABA-affiliated clubs).

mtbr member
    Yes, those were Sheldon's pics

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...at some point I'll have to get off the Cx bike (trying to get the miles in for the Ride to Conquer Cancer later this year) and get the mtb out on the trails
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Hehehe...at some point I'll have to get off the Cx bike (trying to get the miles in for the Ride to Conquer Cancer later this year) and get the mtb out on the trails
    Hey , I was wondering what happened to you .Couldn`t help noticing your new wheels on the cross bike on another site (those guys are grumpy over there) .......Nice ! So new wheels and brakes on your bike as well How are they holding up ? That`s pretty cool how you laced them up yourself ! You should post some pics on here .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey guys & gals,

I've been lurking on here & thought I'd introduce myself as an MTBR forum noob. I'm back in the saddle, literally and figuratively, for the first time since my early teens. I'm lucky enough to live a 5 min ride away from the south end of Mill Creek ravine, so I've been out a few times already this year (notsomuch now with the snow).

Anyway, thought I'd drop in and say hi. Hopefully I'll bump into a few of you on the trail. I'm the guy with the enormous head & black Giant

Oh, and I'm half-tossing around the idea of entering a (novice) race later in the summer. I'm hoping this will give me something to work towards, riding & fitness-wise, over the next couple of months. Do you guys have any recommendations for races/events I could look into?

Much obliged!

mtbr member
    the canada cup will be a fun one. I think they have special insurance so you don't need to be an ABA affiliated club. But i'm not 100% sure. you can get a day license for $10. It's a huge event and will be fun to take part in.

Also if you want to get some racing experience there will be casual short races every tuesday at Terwilliger. Yesterday was supposed to be the first one but it was canceled for obvious reasons. They will start next tuesday if the weather cooperates. It's just for fun. It's $5 and you chose if you want to race 2, 3 or 4 laps and then you race. There is prizes and cookies and pop after. It's a good time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sweet, thanks man. I'll look into the Canada Cup. I have to get my fitness levels up before I would enter even the casual races at Terwillegar; don't want to slow people down. However, I might just jump into one of those next month or something.

Do I need any sort of club affiliation or anything for the casual races?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Haven't been active on here lately. Trying to get atleast 20-25 hours of riding in this month, oh the joys of using gym class as an excuse to ride. Plus, I'm starting my first day at klondike cycle for the work experience program for school. Things are starting to go well for once. =)
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarmy
    Sweet, thanks man. I'll look into the Canada Cup. I have to get my fitness levels up before I would enter even the casual races at Terwillegar; don't want to slow people down. However, I might just jump into one of those next month or something.

Do I need any sort of club affiliation or anything for the casual races?
    I believe you need ABA general insurance to race any event, which is covered in your club membership with any of the local bike shops (River Valley Cycle, Pedalhead, Redbike, United Cycle, Hardcore, etc.)

As for getting your fitness up for the Tuesday night races, they are the best way to get into shape! It is completely informal and a lot of fun! It is meant to be a non-intimidating experience on a shorter course so people have a chance to see what MTB racing is all about.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    gord,

I appreciate the info; I might have to look into a Pedalhead membership (I feel partial as that's where I picked up my bike from).

I'm stoked! I'm going to check out one of these Tuesday races then.

mtbr member
    Guitarmy, come out to the Tuesday rides. You don't need to be in shape to have fun. Gord, myself, and a few others try to get out once in a while on non-club group rides (and night rides in the autumn) and you'd be more than welcome to come out. If you're out of shape (like I am), all the more reason to get into the Tuesday night races.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Guitarmy, come out to the Tuesday rides. You don't need to be in shape to have fun. Gord, myself, and a few others try to get out once in a while on non-club group rides (and night rides in the autumn) and you'd be more than welcome to come out. If you're out of shape (like I am), all the more reason to get into the Tuesday night races.
    Hey, thanks man. That'd be awesome! I'll get my membership junk in order and let you guys know which Tuesday I'm thinking of coming out. Appreciate the invite.

mtbr member
    You would be most welcome in the pedalhead club. Although you have missed the order for pedalhead jerseys which i think went out a few weeks ago. You should also come out to the wednesday night rides. We meet at Pedalhead every wednesday. I'll be one of the 60-70 people wearing a pedalhead jersey. Actually I won't be. I injured my IT band and i can't ride for like a month. But as of June I will be back to riding hard (hopefully).

Don't worry about slowing people down on tuesdays. do the 2 lap race. You will be surprised. There will probably be guys in their 60s, and guys on 35 lbs all mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    And out of shape guys pushing 35lb all mountain bikes like me, well come mid june seeing how i will be out of the country until then

mtbr member
    Too bad about the knee, Dana. Did you tweak it at the last Sunday race, or was it on another ride?

mtbr member
    It's actually been a struggle with a really tight left IT band since last July. It's been an on and off battle, and i thought i was over it, but it came back worse than ever. Before It hurt after an hour or two of riding. Now it hurts to stand or walk. Even laying down it throbs.

mtbr member
    That truly bites. Doctor says you'll be good after a month? Your issue sounds like a season off rather than just a month.

mtbr member
    double post...
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 05-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You would be most welcome in the pedalhead club. Although you have missed the order for pedalhead jerseys which i think went out a few weeks ago. You should also come out to the wednesday night rides. We meet at Pedalhead every wednesday. I'll be one of the 60-70 people wearing a pedalhead jersey. Actually I won't be. I injured my IT band and i can't ride for like a month. But as of June I will be back to riding hard (hopefully).

Don't worry about slowing people down on tuesdays. do the 2 lap race. You will be surprised. There will probably be guys in their 60s, and guys on 35 lbs all mountain bikes.
    Thanks dana; I'll be out a Tuesday/Wednesday in the near future, hopefully. Here's hoping your injury comes around and you can be back out on the trails soon!

mtbr member
    There is still time to register for the 2010 Perogy XC! http://rivervalleycycle.com/index.ph...perogy-xc-2010

The race is this Sunday, May 16th at Terwillegar.

Not sure about racing? We are looking for volunteers. Not much involved - mostly sitting in a chair, watching to ensure racers are staying on the course and not cutting corners. There will be free food for all volunteers! PM me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Good ride last night. Trails are in great condition, a few mud holes in Terwilliger but nothing major. 42km by the time I got home. Legs are shot, so tonight's Tuesday Fat Tire race will be a torture fest for me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good ride last night. Trails are in great condition, a few mud holes in Terwilliger but nothing major. 42km by the time I got home. Legs are shot, so tonight's Tuesday Fat Tire race will be a torture fest for me.
    Nice! I thought I was doing alright; I went for 17.5km on the Fort Saskatchewan Trails yesterday (dry, for those wondering). 42km is crazy!

gord: I won't be able to help out with the Perogy XC, as I have a magazine launch party the night prior and probably won't be in much shape to be useful. Thanks though!

mtbr member
    42km sounds long, but it didn't seem like it. I'm sure Gord and the others in the ride group probably came pretty close to this total as well. 17km at Terwilliger in racing mode is way harder.

mtbr member
    42 is a good long ride, but it isn't crazy. I went on two rides over 40km two weeks ago.

But that's coming from the guy currently sitting on his couch with an overtraining injury. So don't listen to me.

mtbr member
    I'd like to do what Ken did earlier this year, head from the Strathcona Park down to Terwilliger and back again. That would be a long ride, I'm guessing 70km when all said and done.

How's the knee coming along?

mtbr member
    I didn't have the GPS on, but I suspect it was around 38kms for me. I found it to be an easy pace (for the most part) with lots of stops so I am feeling fresh today. But with the first Fat Tire Tuesday race tonight and trail maintenance on the Perogy XC course after the race I will be singing a differnent tune tomorrow.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    o_o 42km would be a lot for me in the shape I'm in right now.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    In a group ride, the km tick on by without you really knowing it. The average speed was about 18km, but as Gord mentioned, frequent stops help a lot. We had a new guy out last night and although he's put some miles on his road bike this year, last night's ride was the longest for him on his mountain bike and he held up just fine.

mtbr member
    I'd like to do what Ken did earlier this year, head from the Strathcona Park down to Terwilliger and back again. That would be a long ride, I'm guessing 70km when all said and done.

i had physio tonight. I'm still really tight, but on thursday she wants me to try riding 10-15 minutes if it doesn't hurt. If it works out by next week i could build myself up to 1/2 hour rides. I'm only allowed to spin lightly. it's going to be a slow progression. But i'm still planning on doing canada cup.

I'm thinking i'm going to have to race cross to make my license worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    In a group ride, the km tick on by without you really knowing it. The average speed was about 18km, but as Gord mentioned, frequent stops help a lot. We had a new guy out last night and although he's put some miles on his road bike this year, last night's ride was the longest for him on his mountain bike and he held up just fine.
    I'm the new guy and it was a great ride! 37km total from the Kinsmen parking lot. Looking forward to next week.

Shawn

rides with camera

The GPS said it was 58 km but I don`t trust it . Which is why I bought a new cycle specific GPS which is alot more accurate . I kept my old one in my camelback and jersey and it would lose satellites . When I rode FT Sask. it said the distance was 12km and that was with the little extended loop ........Anybody want to buy an Oregon GPS

The Science Park- Terwilliger ride was one I wanted to do for a long time . I want to do it again but hit Mill Creek going and Mckinnon on the way back . That would be a good day .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, 58km sounds low. I figure that after the Stony race, that I'll do this trip on a Saturday/Sunday. Maybe over the May 30th weekend.

Got out last night with my son for 33km. His first ride of the season. Took him down some scary stuff and he handled it better than I did when I first rode some of these trails (most notably, the treacherous turn covered in roots at the Kinsmen)

Ran into a few riders down in Mill Creek. United Cycle was out, Gord, Alex, and a few other familiar faces as well. Trails are dry and fast. Legs feel good for this weekend's race down in Terwilliger, but I fully expect to have my ass handed to me.

Been running Hope Tech X2s on my bike this year and they are a significant improvement over the Elixirs I used last year. 180/160mm.

mtbr member
    We are still looking for volunteers for Sunday's race. Kokanee is raffling off a Kona MTB bike for race volunteers this Sunday at the Perogy XC in Terwillegar Park! Send me a message if you want to sign up. There is a 1 in 35 chance of winning!

mtbr member
    what kind of bike? Sheldon told me about that. To be honestly I secretly hope I don't win. We have 5 bikes in my 1 bedroom apartment. My wife would be so mad if i brought home a bike. ha ha ha.

Actually it would be pretty cool. I'd probably give it to my brother.

mtbr member
    what kind of bike? Sheldon told me about that. To be honestly I secretly hope I don't win. We have 5 bikes in my 1 bedroom apartment. My wife would be so mad if i brought home a bike. ha ha ha.

Actually it would be pretty cool. I'd probably give it to my brother.
    I actually don't know what bike it is. I suspect it will be in the entry level category. Still, good prize for a few hours sitting on a chair watching a race!

mtbr member
    Update from today's race - jkirpatri (Jason) had a bad crash just as he completed his first lap. From what a few people I talked to have said, what happened was that he caming down a small descent, caught some air and had too much weight over his front wheel. He ended up going over the bars and landing on the side of his head and his shoulder. The ambulance was just coming in as I was completing my second lap and he was still down well after I finished the race. They put an IV in him and completely immobilized him with a neck brace and had him on a spine board. I suspect that at a minimum he broke his collar bone and they were being over cautious, or at least that is what I hope.

Jason - I hope you are okay and here's to a quick recovery.
    Last edited by gord962; 05-17-2010 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Damn. Thoughts are with you. We have some excellent emerg docs and trauma teams at the U & surrounding hospitals. He will be in good hands.

Speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    that sucks. I heard someone say that they had to bring in an ambulance for someone, but I didn't know it was Jason. I hope you are ok man.

mtbr member
    Gord, or anyone else,

have you heard an update on Jason? That really sucks for him. It was his first ABA race wasn't it?

mtbr member
    I haven't heard anything. I am going to try to get a hold of his wife to see if she can provide an update. I will pass along any news that I get.

Yes, this was his first 'official' race.

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    Hey , I was wondering what happened to you .Couldn`t help noticing your new wheels on the cross bike on another site (those guys are grumpy over there) .......Nice ! So new wheels and brakes on your bike as well How are they holding up ? That`s pretty cool how you laced them up yourself ! You should post some pics on here .
    Ok, ok...here are the pics for on this board

The "during lacing" shots:

And the on the bike and rideable shots (though currently clad with slicks for road work):

Specs:

Hope Pro III front and rear hubs (same freehub as the Pro II's...loud, proud and strong which is better than the Shimano Tiagra with weak sauce I killed on the bike already), Mavic A719 rims, DT Comp double butted spokes, XT 11-32 cassette, Avid Shorty 6 brakes. Currently running some Conti Ultra Gatorskinz for road riding, but I've had good runs on Maxxis Locusts that will go on again in the fall.

So far both are holding up really well. With Cx tires on, it handles some of the nicer singletrack quite well and rolls smooth on slicks for pavement work. I'm going to touch up the tensions tonight (the rear was trickier to build as the hub flanges are asymmeterical and it really makes for a challenge with spoke tensions). Heck, I'm finding that pushing a 39 or 50 tooth ring is helping me on the mtb...the Cake flies now

Double-metric mtb man
    I know someone who was there as her sone was racing...racer on the first lap lost it on the jump near the end of the lap...did in his collarbone. They brough in an ambulance in case of head/spinal injury. Had to divert the route away from the jump as they mopped up the mess.

mtbr member
    ya that was jkirkpatri

Double-metric mtb man
    Oh...by the way...sorry for being scarce. Getting ready for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and now being in Millwoods has curtailed the amount I'm on the mtb (it's a 30 km round trip to get anywhere good to ride)...so I tend to grab the Cx bike and do MUT and road work instead.

At least the Cx bike is getting a bit of a transformation...new brakes, cables, wheels, seat, wrap, rear derailleur, cassette...it's gradually becoming the Cx/long distance/commuter I want it to be.

mtbr member
    Good news! I heard from Jason's wife - here is the message she sent me:

Thanks Gord, he is doing okay. The good news is he did not break his collarbone and there are no head injuries. His back and hips are in a lot of pain. I will pass along your wishes to him, he will appreciate this. I will keep you posted and thanks for checking up on him!

mtbr member
    that's good to hear. You hate to see anyone's race end with an ambulance ride.

Good luck recovering Jason. Hopefully we see you at another race later this year.

mtbr member
    "No Head Injuries" - That's good.I truly believe my life (or at least a life without brain damage) has been saved at least once (helmet shattered) and maybe twice.

My sister-in-law refuses to wear a helmet because she thinks her hair will look stupid. What the hell? I keep telling her and I sent her pictures of my broken helmet. Today I saw 9 cyclists on my walk to work and only 3 were wearing helmets. What gives. (also I saw 3 blowing through stop signs no wonder drivers yell at me).

end rant

mtbr member
    I'm going to pick up where Dana left off:

While driving, most of the cyclists I encounter are borderline retarded. Every day I see cyclists with no helmets (seriously? you are commuting/riding in traffic with no helmet???), weaving in and out of traffic (without signalling!), blowing through stop signs, jumping from the sidewalk to the street and back to the sidewalk, etc. As a cyclist I can't stand most of the cyclists on our streets, I can only imagine how non-cyclists feel about these guys. It is time for Edmonton cyclists who are on the roads to start abiding the traffic laws. YES, cyclists do belong on the road, but they need to follow the rules. Yes I do realize that no all cyclists in Edmonton ride as I described (hence why I said most), but those who do abide by the rules are FAR outnumbered by those who don't.

mtbr member
    I think cyclists should be more upset than non-cyclists. Not only do they annoy us when we are driving, but they give us a bad name.

mtbr member
    Well that was different. I ended up hitting that drop way too fast and Iwasn,t expexting to get the amount of air that I did. I crasahed over my front wheel, hit the ground, and heard/felt a distinctive thunk in my back. Had the wind knocked out of me and my right shoulder was in pure agony.

Everyone, including the parametics, figured I had a broken collarbone, but as it turns out, no broken bones!

Lokks to be a strained ACL, will find out more later on this week. I'm just enjoying the Tylonel 3's for the next cpouple of days.

Helmet has 7 complete fractures, but no concussion! WILL post back later on when i have my right hand back. Many thanks to Kirk, Serinia (Kirk's girlfriend, spelling ?) for being there for me until the ambulance came. Thet were very supportive and kept me calm.

Bike made it out alive too from whati`ve heard. Thank you for all get well wishes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Glad to hear you're doing ok, considering your injuries could have been worse

mtbr member
    glad you hear you are ok. Hang in there, and hopefully you'll be back on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bike made it out alive too from whati`ve heard. Thank you for all get well wishes!
    Good to see you are ok. From your typing it looks like the tylenol's are working

....snip........
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    .....snip.........
    Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Poor cycling habits drive me nuts.....not that road rage (car vs. bike) incidents are ok, but I can see why cars get annoyed with us.

Case and point: This morning, I'm at a red light on my road bike to do some hills, an the cyclist in front of me (never mind that his helmet was on his bars) just decides to blow the red (he had already stopped). The driver in the car beside me is watching and looks at me and says WTF?

As I catch up to this guy, he blows the next light and following stop sign.

Gah........

/end rant

Double-metric mtb man
    Glad to hear you're ok JK...I'll pass it along to my RTCC team member who was there and she'll be happy (she was concerned for you and doesn't even know you). Heal quick!

As for stoopid cyclists: no helmets, no lights (waaaaay after dark) and not obeying the traffic laws are my three top peeves and the things I see most often. Anyone who has seen me knows I'm well lit after dark and take safety seriously....I think the incident in Quebec last week should be a "heads up" to all cyclists...even in broad daylight and riding in a group you can be hit, so protect yourself and ride defensively!

rides with camera
    Well that was different. I ended up hitting that drop way too fast and Iwasn,t expexting to get the amount of air that I did. I crasahed over my front wheel, hit the ground, and heard/felt a distinctive thunk in my back. Had the wind knocked out of me and my right shoulder was in pure agony.

Everyone, including the parametics, figured I had a broken collarbone, but as it turns out, no broken bones!

Lokks to be a strained ACL, will find out more later on this week. I'm just enjoying the Tylonel 3's for the next cpouple of days.

Helmet has 7 complete fractures, but no concussion! WILL post back later on when i have my right hand back. Many thanks to Kirk, Serinia (Kirk's girlfriend, spelling ?) for being there for me until the ambulance came. Thet were very supportive and kept me calm.

Wow, sorry to read about what happened . That would not be a good thing to go through (for obvious reasons) It is good to see you had great support after it happened , hopefully you will be back on the trails soon .

Cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Might trek out to rabbit hill on bike this summer. 34-35 km from work from what I hear. Also may be getting an 06 Brodie Devo frame for $400 from a guy at work, sound like a good deal? or should I stray away?

mtbr member
    I rode my bike for 40 minutes yesterday. I know that's lame, but this is a huge deal for me. I'm not really any more or less in pain than i was before the ride.

I took both my full suspension mountain bike and my cyclocross (currently set up as and used as a road bike) to Guri at Pedalhead Road Works and had him do a bike fit. He helped set up my bikes in such a way that their will be less pressure on my knees and i will be forced to use my glutes more and my Tensor fasciae latae (which connects to the IT band) less.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    dana: glad you were able to get out and are feeling better!

I ventured out to the Science Park for the first time tonight; ran into a bunch of fellow riders. Any of you guys there?

Pretty solid trails around there, although it was a little more wet than I thought it would be. Good riding though.

Double-metric mtb man
    I took both my full suspension mountain bike and my cyclocross (currently set up as and used as a road bike) to Guri at Pedalhead Road Works and had him do a bike fit. He helped set up my bikes in such a way that their will be less pressure on my knees and i will be forced to use my glutes more and my Tensor fasciae latae (which connects to the IT band) less.
    Your Cx bike sounds like mine What does Guri charge to do a fit? I should get my properly set up for road riding so I'm set for the longer distance stuff this summer (like my training rides and the RTCC).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey guys. Just saying hello as I usually float around for tech info.

Too bad it's raining today....

See you on the trails.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the well wishes.

Turns out I separated my AC on my right shoulder. There will not be any surgerory as the surgeon advises that full funtionality of my right shoulder should come back. Ashthetically, my right shoulder looks weird, and always will, as I've permantenly damaged by shouder. Surgeory would restore asthetics, but introduce a risk of arthritis. My surgeon said that had I suffered this injury in the NHL, I'd be playing the next night (with painkillers). Obviously it's serious, but not as serious as it could have been. On the X-Rays, you can see what is out of whack. The separated AC actually sticks up a bit and I can push it down (and it goes back up again). Squeemish stuff.

My back muscles are starting to relax, so that's good. Most road rash is healing nicely. My shoulder is all yellow, I've actually got a good size black bruise on my lower hip, and some faint bruising on the head from where my helmet impacted. I even think I've got a deep muscle bruise on my ass.

I should be back on the bike within two weeks, depending on my shoulder recovery.

The worse thing is knowing that I've done permanent damage. In that sense, I kind of wish that I had broken my collarbone instead. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Amazingly, my bike shorts made it through unscathed. The hospital staff kept trying to cover up my "underwear", even though I told them it's actually shorts. I'm pretty happy that the shorts are still okay. Now I just need to decide what color my new helmet is going to be.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear things are okay. I separated my right shoulder playing hockey about 5 years ago now. I didn't miss any games (I was back on the ice the next week) but it did hurt for a long time - about 4 months before I could sleep on my right side. I think I was about a year before it was back to 'normal' as far as functionability goes. It still sits lower than my left shoulder (and always will) but it hasn't bothered me at all for quite a few years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Glad to hear you are okay. My husband didn't believe that you didn't break anything. He was talking about how much your shoulder stuck up. I'll have to let him know what it actually was.

mtbr member
    It was a great race today. Despite the snow and rain in Edmonton this morning, the weather SW of Stony Plain was much more cooperative. The sun even came out! The course was relentless as always, filled with plenty of short, technical power climbs and endless roots. Good times!

Crank monkey

Trail Conditions?

Hey guys - I'm looking for a trail report after all this rainy weather. How does the river valley/Mill creek/Terwillegar look? How about Fort Saskatchewan? I need to get out and off the bike paths in St Albert but don't want to make the trip if the trails are really muddy.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    Weekly Fat Tire Tuesday race is still on tonight - trails must be okay or they would have cancelled the race. I suspect that if Terwillegar is ridable, everywhere else will be as well since Terwillegar is the worst place to be if it is muddy. Everything was sooo dry that it wouldn't take long for everything to be at least in tacky conditions with a few of the regular wet spots.

Crank monkey
    Sweet - thanks. I was out in St Albert today and it was all pretty good, so I figured the good stuff would be relatively dry too.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    Terwillegar was dry other than the regular wet spots.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Hoping to head out to rabbit hill this weekend.

So terwilliger is dry? I need to head out there soon.

Double-metric mtb man
    Some areas looked a little wet near Terwillegar on Monday (I was only on the paved stuff as I was putting the new wheels on the Cx bike through some good hills and some longer distance fast stuff), but in general things looked pretty good for how much rain we've had as of late.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    So terwilliger is dry? I need to head out there soon.
    It was dusty in a lot of the places. The few puddles that were there were in the regular places - they are generally wet until August other than last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Edmonton Police are going to ticket bicyclist, skateboarders and rollerbladers on the sidewalk. Eventhough this law isnt new, what are they thinking? How many people get injured seriously on the sidewalk each year? Is this really a major safety concern? Last I heard, all the bike fatalities occured on the road.

Can you say cashcow!! And this is coming from someone who actually supports having photo radar eventhough its more or less a cash cow as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker_168
    Edmonton Police are going to ticket bicyclist, skateboarders and rollerbladers on the sidewalk. Eventhough this law isnt new, what are they thinking? How many people get injured seriously on the sidewalk each year? Is this really a major safety concern? Last I heard, all the bike fatalities occured on the road.

Can you say cashcow!! And this is coming from someone who actually supports having photo radar eventhough its more or less a cash cow as well.
    GOOD!!!!

I can't stand when cyclists ride on the sidewalk. They really need to start giving out huge tickets for cyclists going through stop signs and red lights too. I really hope they start giving huge tickets for riding on the sidewalk. It should be illegal. A bike is a vehicle.
    I can maintain a speed of between 40-50km/hr my road bike (or at least i could when i was able to ride). A vehicle that is capable of going 50km/hr should not be allowed on the sidewalk. Cyclists have worked hard to earn the right to ride on the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    GOOD!!!!

I can't stand when cyclists ride on the sidewalk. They really need to start giving out huge tickets for cyclists going through stop signs and red lights too. I really hope they start giving huge tickets for riding on the sidewalk. It should be illegal. A bike is a vehicle.
    I can maintain a speed of between 40-50km/hr my road bike (or at least i could when i was able to ride). A vehicle that is capable of going 50km/hr should not be allowed on the sidewalk. Cyclists have worked hard to earn the right to ride on the road.
    Im glad you can maintain 40kmh on the road but I doubt little 12 y.o. Jenny on her single speed BMX or skateboard or rollerblades will be able to do the same . I doubt most non-avid cyclists can do the same either. Or if parents go for a evening stroll with their kids who ride bikes, I hope the parents keep a good eye on their kids on the road as they are nice and safe on the bicycle-free sidewalk.

I don't object to cyclists on the road. I ride on the road as well. I object to getting a ticket if I feel that riding on the sidewalk is safer in certain situations.

I agree that if you are on the road, you should obey traffic laws (stop signs, red lights etc.). If not, you should be fined like a motorist would be.
    Last edited by Tracker_168; 06-01-2010 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    would you drive your car on the sidewalk because you "feel that it's safer?" what about a motorcycle, or motor scooter? It's just wrong to drive a vehicle on a sidewalk just because you feel it is safe. It's just not safe, and not ok. Even at 20km/hr it isn't safe. I walk to work everyday. I always have cyclists blowing by me, coming close to hitting me. Yes even younger people and people who clearly aren't cyclists. even a 12 year old can ride way faster than a pedestrian. Sidewalks are for pedestrians, and roads are for vehicles.

Also your sarcastic "12 y.o. jenny" comment isn't valid because edmonton bylaw clearly states that Bicycle with a wheel diameter of 50cm or less (i. e. children's bicycles) are permitted on all sidewalks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You claim riding on the sidewalk isn't safe. I'll concede that it sucks to be a jogger and have a cyclist blowing past you without warning. But find me evidence of an epidemic of pedestrians dying from being struck by cyclists to validate your "It's just not safe" comment.

It would be nice to know if hospital EDs see more car vs. cyclists collisions or cyclists vs. pedestrians and the types of injuries they see. My guess is that car vs. cyclist will be more frequent and more severe.

I suppose we should not be able to ride on "bike trails" or in the River Valley either because everyday cyclists have to pass joggers/dog walkers there too...and its done without major incident. Even in Terwilleger, you might meet a dog walker on a downhill going 20kmh...you should probably stop riding there too.

Cyclists should ride on the road when they can and feel comfortable with it because it is more convienent and usually faster (no need to slow for pedestrians). But to say that its too dangerous for cyclists to share a pathway and interact with pedestrians is a bit ridiculous IMO. We do it all the time, especially as mountain bikers.
    Last edited by Tracker_168; 06-01-2010 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Also a 1994 study by wachtel and lewiston found that Bicycling on the sidewalk increases risk of an accident with a motor vehicle by 180%, and bicycling the wrong way on the sidewalk increases accident risk by 430%.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree with Dana 100% (stop signs and red lights too).

The sidewalk is no place for cyclists. It's clear to someone who knows why (I've read those studies from previous discussions and personally seen multiple accidents), as well as the exceptions to the rules (small diameter wheels). People need to educate themselves on the above points before screaming that the police are doing this as a cashgrab.

As a parent of 3 kids, my oldest is now on a bike (sweet!) and the bylaws state that small wheel bikes are allowed on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker_168
    We do it all the time, especially as mountain bikers.
    Neither myself or any of the people I ride with do, whether it's on mtb or road bikes.

mtbr member
    If the road's too busy, hectic (i.e. Whyte Ave), I just use the back alleys. Back alleys are more fun anyways as they're riddled with pot holes.

mtbr member
    I can live with giving tickets to bikes (esp. commuters and couriers) on the sidewalk as I am usually only on the sidewalks when I am with my 3 yr old, But rollerbladers and skateboards? You can NOT rollerblade in my neighborhood (or 95% of Edmonton) on the road because the roads are in such poor condition. If you aren't really good (which most people aren't) there will be quite a few falls and that would not be good sending those people who aren't necessarily capable onto the street! If they want to start ticketing for those the city better improve the infrastructure to make it possible to ride somewhere other than the sidewalk.

Or perhaps they need to only worry about high pedestrian areas, particularly Jasper, Whyte Ave. and UofA campus?

Does that mean joggers aren't allowed on the sidewalks either? In my experience downtown during lunch they cause more problems as bikes/skateboards/rollerbladers combined. I can't think of the last time I saw a skateboarder or rollerblader along Jasper and I only see maybe a dozen people on bikes a week, but there are over 100 people daily trying to jog down Jasper at lunch and I could ride my bike on the sidewalk a lot safer than the joggers I see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If anyone is planning on heading out to Rabbit Hill on Sun (Jun 6), Sonic sent out a 2-for-1 coupon the other day.

https://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/...hill_2for1.jpg

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I would totally put that rabbit coupon to use, but my helmet is done. Have to wait to monday to order one at work and find the prices. giro flak or remedy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone know if FTT is a go for tonight? Can't get the Hardcore website to see - work blocks the word "hardcore". Go figure.

mtbr member
    Nothing posted as at 1:21pm. I don't think they actually post until 4pm if FTT is cancelled, though. They did cancel their group ride yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel tonight too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah - I figure it's 50/50 at this point. I'm super tired today & I figured racing would be the best motivation to get out & ride.

Thanks for checking - I'll look again when I get home. I'm mostly just bored at work.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe
    Yeah - I figure it's 50/50 at this point. I'm super tired today & I figured racing would be the best motivation to get out & ride.

Thanks for checking - I'll look again when I get home. I'm mostly just bored at work.....
    Sry - I missed this yesterday. I hope you made it out as FTT was flat and FAST.

rides with camera

Lordy lordy

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Double-metric mtb man
    Crap....can I place my order for some dry weather yet? When the Cx bike doing commuting duty is coming home like I rode through a mud bog (due to minor mud tracking from construction vehicles) you know it is very wet out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey, I'm new on here but thought i'd shout out , say hi and let everyone know i'm heading out to Rabbit hill today for the freeride park.

I've got a Rocky Mountain Reaper 1 and want to enjoy the trails out there!

3pm to 6pm for a half day pass today.

Look for a guy wearing brown shorts, Flat black helmet, Flat black bike with Red grips and pedals.

Say hi!

Greg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    Sry - I missed this yesterday. I hope you made it out as FTT was flat and FAST.
    I made it out but left my shoes at home... Watched the sufferfest from the sidelines.

mtbr member
    Good group ride last night. There were four of us, couple more would have made it better but we had a good time nonetheless.

Shoulder felt good, back was getting tight near the end of the ride and needed a long hot shower when I got home as my back was getting really tight. Still tight this morning, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Trails were nice, but now I remember why spring and autumn are the best riding times in Edmonton - the trails get overgrown too much in the summer. Most of the ride was head down, branches glancing of my helmet, leafs catching rides on my bar ends, and ploughing through the trails. Those trails that are clear are great, most notably the Mill Creek area and most sections over by the old Timer's cabin.

New wheel flexes like snot, so that'll be replaced soon. Got my parents to pick up an oem replacement rim for me in Vegas (Bontrager out of stock so it's luck of the LBS draw only, none in Edmonton, but one in Vegas!). I'll get the new oem rim laced up soon enough and keep my original replacement rim as a backup. Hopefully I never need to use it.

Good to be back on the bike! Fun times again!

mtbr member
    Good to see you back out on the trails.

mtbr member
    I'm glad you are doing better and back on the bike. I'm hoping I get there soon too.

mtbr member
    Big news announced (at least for me) - Gary Fisher is now officially branded under TREK as the Gary Fisher Signature line. There are some TREK And GF riders out there (myself included). Check out both websites for more news if anybody's interested.

mtbr member
    Big news announced (at least for me) - Gary Fisher is now officially branded under TREK as the Gary Fisher Signature line. There are some TREK And GF riders out there (myself included). Check out both websites for more news if anybody's interested.
    No big surprise there - I had heard that rumor since September. I haven't checked out the site but I know the word on the street was that the GF line would be strictly 29ers and the rest of Trek will stick with 26" bikes.

mtbr member
    True, but I think folding the GF brand under TREK is the surprise. The actual GF bikes will be TREK bikes with a "Gary Fisher Signature Line" decal on the top tube. Front of head tube will be the TREK logo, as well as TREK stickers everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi, I will be heading out to Calgary July 17-27 for vacation. I will be taking my bike and I heard there will be a few XC races or Endurance Races in that time period, anyone knows who organizes this events or any info in places to ride/race during that time???? Thanks in Advance Im flying from Miami FL. I want to take advantage of the beatiful Trails and mountains you guys have. ThanX

mtbr member
    Eknick, if you're serious about mountain riding in the actual mountains, you'll might be able to pick up a spot on a 24 Hour team for the Canmore 24 Hours of Adrenaline running the July 24th weekend. There's a bulletin board on the website if you want to pursue this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmm, interesting note about Fisher. I just picked up a Presidio frame too, with plans on using it as a commuter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eknick
    Hi, I will be heading out to Calgary July 17-27 for vacation. I will be taking my bike and I heard there will be a few XC races or Endurance Races in that time period, anyone knows who organizes this events or any info in places to ride/race during that time???? Thanks in Advance Im flying from Miami FL. I want to take advantage of the beatiful Trails and mountains you guys have. ThanX

Hey I am in need of one more rider for my team for the 24 Hours Of Adrenaline on July 24/25.

If you or anybody else is interested here on the boards, let me know ASAP.

Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eknick
    XC Nationals are in Canmore on July 18th. The registration info isn't up yet, but when it is, this is where you will find it: http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/nationals

Members who have read this thread: 0