Riding in Edmonton - The No-Snow '09 Thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton - The No-Snow '09 Thread

Well...we're starting to get a little long now in the previous thread, so I figured it was time to speed things up and drop from 6 pages to one

Anyway, last night I went for a little spin on the CX bike in the rain. I'm happy to report that my tire selection appears to be good....puddles or no, I seemed to be well planted.

Anyway, does anyone know how well a Sharpie will stay on a bike frame....like if someone were to autograph it?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw some snow on yesterday's ride. So you have to close this thread

I've had a sharpie stay on my bike for about 500km so far.

EMBA Board member
    I bet you that if you put a thin layor of clearcoat over it, it would last indefinitly. A signed Fisher?

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I think there are patches of ice near the creek in Mill Creek, and McKenzie ravine had ice in the bottom, too.

I strongly recommend avoiding McKenzie ravine because of extreme slumping and bridge damage at the bottom of the ravine. You will have a hard time linking up to Laurier Park or Summit Drive.

Anyways, new Crossmax SL's and Crossmark UST's are getting flogged this weekend. First easy test ride yesterday left a good impression. Going to drop the pressure some more - running 35 psi front/rear.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...Space, you're thinking what I'm thinking I doubt it'll happen, but...

Speaking of my Cake...I got out for a little ride yesterday. Went through the lower Ewok area and had a great time. Sports were a little wet, but overall it was pretty good.

mtbr member
    My wife asked me if i'm going to get Gary Fisher to sign my hifi and I had never though of it. I'd rather not. Although I'll probably get a picture with him.

I just bought some new tires for racing that should be better than the 2.2 XDX that come with the hifi. i'm excited to try them out. I got a 1.95 DTC nevegal and a 2.00 karma that should be an interesting combo.

I went out for a short ride yesturday but I haven't been feeling so well this week and haven't ridden much.

EMBA Board member
    OK so who is riding to mud sweat and gears, and what route would work best from Rundle?

mtbr member
    I wonder if there will still be a ride with gary fisher tomorrow if it rains. there are supposed to be thunder storms tomorrow

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm going no matter what, but I'll likely come out on Baseline Rd. The Cake is clean, in case I do as him to sign the frame....we'll see about that.

Anyway...someone said if I didn't post a pic of the Jake then it was a figment of my imagination....well, here it is...

Double-metric mtb man
    Oh...that reminds me. Sixty-Fiver...I got my light project done and I'm a little brighter now.

I went from this (which you've seen):

To this (my DIY light):

All from a nice little unit that looks like this:

mtbr member

I saw a guy with a cake. I assumed it was you Mike but not sure enough to just go talk to you.

Double-metric mtb man
    Depends on what he was wearing.

I was a study in blue and so was the Cake If the person you saw had a red IMBA NMBP patch on one sleeve, then it most definitely was me.

Spacemonkey was there too (at the EMBA table)

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109

I saw a guy with a cake. I assumed it was you Mike but not sure enough to just go talk to you.

I have to admit , the guy looks pretty cool ! Not to many people can pull a look like that off . Gary Fisher looks cool too What a life that guy has , he never worries about money , all he does is ride (around the world) and his name is on some pretty reputable high end bikes ................. Yeah I`m jealous . Did they still do the ride ? Looked dark in that area of the city .

I would have made it down but today was the first ride on the new hardtail , so that pretty much trumps anything .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I went on the ride with Gary Fisher tonight. It was beautiful out and no rain at all. The ride was ok. I'm not a huge fan of strathcona science park area. Some of the trails were alright but not as good as edmonton river valley stuff.

The coolest part of the evening was after the ride we went back to the shop and had pizza and beer. I had a beer with him and talked to him for like 20 minutes after a lot of people took off. It was cool we talked about some of his travels, the bike racing scene in the US with high school league racing, bike commuting, and economics.

It was a good evening.

rides with camera
    Cool , that would have been pretty neat . He seems like a pretty good guy .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

I had a good time at the gear swap today. Managed to make $270, and liquidated a bunch of old stuff I did not want. It's going right back into the black hole that is the race bike, especially if I need new shoes after crashing yesterday.

Crossmarks are very scary tires when it is wet.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Got out to terwiliger yesterday for a couple hours. Won't be out till this weekend probably since I have a cold right now. My dad wants me to go look for some fishing spots down by the river. I found a few spots. I just hope the cold is gone by the weekend.

Might be picking up some 2.35" Kinetics for the F8, maybe some specialized ergos, and tire levers. Don't really need the grips though. The Komodo's on the F8 don't grab well in most stuff so thats why I'm hopefully upgrading to kinetics.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

EMBA Board member
    I'm glad the ride with garry was good, about how many people were out? And a giant flippin' wak in the head for missing The gear swap! Oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemonkey1420
    I'm glad the ride with garry was good, about how many people were out? And a giant flippin' wak in the head for missing The gear swap! Oh well.
    There were about 30ish people.

I met the chairman of the EMBA there and we had a beer and a good talk but i can't remember his name.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Still sick and this weather ain't helping. I have to get my butt in gear if I want to ride more because I'm wayyy behind in school.

Pulled off the kinetics I had on my old bike and switched it to the rear on my F8. Took forever to get off of the ryhno lite rim, but it was much easier to get on the F8 rim.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else going to race this year. I've never raced before in my life. I just signed up for the Perogy Cup XC race.

I don't know what I just got myself into. I'm probably going to get crushed.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Is anyone else going to race this year. I've never raced before in my life. I just signed up for the Perogy Cup XC race.

I don't know what I just got myself into. I'm probably going to get crushed.
    I want to sign up for the Perogy cup, but I'm busy that day, and I would probably come in after the dude who was in dead last.

mtbr member
    My main goal is to finish. That's about it. A bonus goal is to not to get last place.

I have no pretence that I'm going to be good. If i finish mid pack or anywhere in the first half i'll be celebrating like I won the world cup.

mtbr member
    This is my first year racing. I'm signed up for the Bacon Race this weekend and the Perogy next weekend. After I finish last at the Bacon this weekend I will have an idea of how many minutes behind I will finish in the Perogy. My first goal is not to get lapped before I finish my 2nd lap. My second goal is to finish the race. I don't even know what I would do if I did better than a last place finish, probably die from shock.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    I just did a learn to race clinic with Roddi Lega, which was really cool. That made me feel better. I learned a lot but it's not going to help me when i'm suffering through an hour and 15 minute of hell.

You'll have to let us know how this weekend goes at the bacon race. I'd do that too but i'm going to jasper with my wife over the long weekend.

mtbr member
    I just did a learn to race clinic with Roddi Lega, which was really cool. That made me feel better. I learned a lot but it's not going to help me when i'm suffering through an hour and 15 minute of hell.

You'll have to let us know how this weekend goes at the bacon race. I'd do that too but i'm going to jasper with my wife over the long weekend.
    Any tips you can pass on from the clinic that I could use other than 'move to the right when someone is going to pass'?

mtbr member
    A lot of the tips i picked up are about efficiency. There were a few good race tips about finding the balance between not starting in the back and having to pass everyone (as if that is my concern), and not going out so hard that you blow up.

But a lot of what i learned was about trying to ride more efficiently to stay mid pack but also to have a bit left in the tank because a lot of people go out to hard and really slow down at the end and you can get past them if you save something for that last lap.

Enjoy the Bacon race, and make sure you take bacon on every lap! Mmmm bacon...

At the novice/sport level, you need to go as hard as you can and just blow up if you have the fitness. The races are so short that you don't want any leftover gas in the tank. Get the singletrack early before the crowd - the start and holeshot are crucial!

For longer distance races and marathon racing that is an excellent tip. I passed half the field at the 60km Nordegg race and won my category last year because I didn't go out and kill myself early.

I am signed up for the Bacon Race, the Trans Stony enduro the next day, and for the Perogy Race. My friend and I are probably camping overnight at the farm. Can't wait!

My camera is terrible, but I'll try to get some pics of you guys. For anyone that I haven't met yet, I will be in Juventus kit on an old red GT. Good luck on race day everyone!

mtbr member
    I have been told by a few people now that fort sask has one of the best trails around. I've heard some mention of it on here. Can anyone describe how to get to the trailhead of this great singletrack?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I have been told by a few people now that fort sask has one of the best trails around. I've heard some mention of it on here. Can anyone describe how to get to the trailhead of this great singletrack?

I'm wondering this too.

But is it in the city? Or outside the city in fort sask.

mtbr member
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

rides with camera
    Oh yeah , it was probably me talking about the Fort ..........I freakin love that place !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera

Since you guys mentioned Fort Saskatchewan

I got too excited Here are a couple shots from last year of my buddy riding . The photo of him climbing is one of many steep short climbs that seem to sneak up on you . There is an awesome bike club that takes great care of the trail , they have also added a new loop to make it last a little longer . If anyone wants to go there and wants a "guide" just pm me and I would be happy to take you ...........For a small fee of course
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I'm back in town now...I was up in the NWT for the early part of this week...now hopefully the weather will be good for Sat. I need a little saddle time.

mtbr member
    I'm back in one piece from the bacon race. Do to my own poor timing on a practice lap not realizing how long it would take, I arrived at the staging area with about 1 minute to spare which didn't allow me to get back to my vehicle to get my power bar.. Needless to say I ran out of gas with about 2/3 of a lap to go and I barely crossed the finish line. I figure between those two ill advised mistakes I lost close to 10 minutes. A valuable lesson I will ensure doesn't happen again! I did complete the race and better yet, I didn't finish last! It definitely gave me some confidence going into the perogy race and some valuable experience to improve my results.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, yesterday I did my first metric century of the year in training for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Nice thing is, I can still walk and climb stairs today....which is amazing considering the last 1/2 of my 108 km jaunt was into the wind (I went out to Lindbrook...out near Tofield) and came back).

I may need a different saddle for the Jake, but this is the earliest in the year I have ever done a Metric, so it bodes well for the end of June.

rides with camera
    Nice weather out there Anyone get caught camping in the snow ? The good thing is it should be quiet in the valley today .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I'm probably going out for a ride today. Need to stop at rev if there open to get my wheeles trued up a bit and I want to check out some new brakes.

Got out at terwiliger yesterday with my dad for about an hour and a half. The rain was fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    I'm back in one piece from the bacon race. Do to my own poor timing on a practice lap not realizing how long it would take, I arrived at the staging area with about 1 minute to spare which didn't allow me to get back to my vehicle to get my power bar.. Needless to say I ran out of gas with about 2/3 of a lap to go and I barely crossed the finish line. I figure between those two ill advised mistakes I lost close to 10 minutes. A valuable lesson I will ensure doesn't happen again! I did complete the race and better yet, I didn't finish last! It definitely gave me some confidence going into the perogy race and some valuable experience to improve my results.
    Congrats on finishing the race and not getting last place.

Any tips for preparing for a race? I'm doing the perogy race on sunday. It will be my first race ever.

I'm worried if i train too hard i'll be exhausted on race day but if i don't work hard enough i won't be in good enough shape.

mtbr member
    Congrats on finishing the race and not getting last place.

Any tips for preparing for a race? I'm doing the perogy race on sunday. It will be my first race ever.

I'm worried if i train too hard i'll be exhausted on race day but if i don't work hard enough i won't be in good enough shape.
    What class are you racing in?

Of all things you need to be prepared for, make sure you have proper nutrition on race day.

As for training, if you aren't in good enough shape now, there is no amount of training you can do before Sunday to get you into shape. If you are going hard for the next few days putting the finishing touches on your training, make sure you are fresh on race day - I recommend a full day recovery from your last training and plenty of sleep the night before.

As last weekend was my first race it may be helpful if some of our more seasoned racers could chime in if I am not on the right track or if I am missing something obvious.

mtbr member
    I will be in novice. I've never raced before.

It isn't so much that I'm trying to get in better shape and do a lot more training this week. I just find that if i don't ride for 4 days I feel sluggish the first day i ride again. I don't want that to happen.

I went pretty hard last night on the pavement. I might do a pedalhead group ride if it doesn't get canceled tonight. If it does i might still do a light spin or i might take the night off. Thursday i was going to just ride some technical singletrack that i'm struggling with just to work on bike handling and getting smoother. I was going to take friday totally off the bike and saturday i was just going to do a slow pre-ride of the course without much effort. I want to be rested, but I want to be familiar with the course as well.

I guess I'll see you sunday. I'd the guy with a very nervous look and the grey Gary Fisher HIFI deluxe.

mtbr member
    IMPORTANT CHANGE FOR ANYONE RACING IN THE PEROGY ON SUNDAY!!!

They have cut it down to 2 start times - see the revised tech guide for your details:
    http://albertamtbracing.files.wordpr...de-revised.pdf

mtbr member
    Ya I got that email today.

I'm glad I don't have to start at 9:30 am. That's too early. But I'm not happy about being on the course at the same time as the elite and expert guys. I'll probably be lapped 2 or 3 times by everyone in elite.

Double-metric mtb man
    Last night I took part in the Ride of Silence here in town...kinda a sombre tour to see where Ghost Bikes were set up in '08. The CX seems to handle the hills well and I didn't need to stand and mash.

Hey Spacemonkey, was that the Raleigh I saw near 87 and 109 St last night?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Probably riding terwiliger tomorrow and heading out again on sunday to do more riding.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that there will be a race going on in Terwilliger from 11:30 until about 4. The trails won't be closed but there may just be 10 elite racers riding crazy fast trying to get by.

Gord and i think excel and I will be racing in terwilliger on sunday.

You should probably change it up sometime. there are some good trails at terwilliger but you might get bored with them. There are some great trails in mill creek, around kinsmen, over by mcnally (ewok), going over towards capilano on the northside of the river there is some great singletrack.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Keep in mind that there will be a race going on in Terwilliger from 11:30 until about 4. The trails won't be closed but there may just be 10 elite racers riding crazy fast trying to get by.

Gord and i think excel and I will be racing in terwilliger on sunday.

You should probably change it up sometime. there are some good trails at terwilliger but you might get bored with them. There are some great trails in mill creek, around kinsmen, over by mcnally (ewok), going over towards capilano on the northside of the river there is some great singletrack.
    I like terwiliger, so much more fun then mckinnon. I haven't ridden much at terwiliger, really just up to the t-intersection where you can go down do the river and right across from a water treatment plant I think. Where's mcnally? The school right? I can never find it.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that Ewok area is closed. We, as responsible riders, should not be promoting riding in that area.

The singletrack at Strathcone Science Park is fun and there are a few good spots around the Gold Bar XC ski trails.

mtbr member
    The singletrack at Strathcone Science Park is fun and there are a few good spots around the Gold Bar XC ski trails.
    SSP is great fun. I live nearby and have been taking my single speed there and have been learning which tracks are ssable. Oh my poor legs
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that Ewok area is closed. We, as responsible riders, should not be promoting riding in that area.
    Really?

I was just in ewok, or at least what i think is ewok on wednesday and there were no signs. I was up at mcnally high school and dropped down that steep hill by the bench, not the one that is the brutal climb right from the parkinglot on the southside of dawson bridge but right next to it in front of the bench. I rode all through there and came out on the multiwaypath shortly before the pedestrian bridge by the Queen. I never saw a sign either when i was entering the area or when i was leaving.

But if it's closed don't ride it.

Double-metric mtb man
    It's the Ewok MUT that is closed...big slope failure that has made part of it almost impassable. The lower Ewok and upper Ewok are not blocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    It's the Ewok MUT that is closed...big slope failure that has made part of it almost impassable. The lower Ewok and upper Ewok are not blocked off.
    I rode *up* the slump the other day. Not quite impossible, but pretty hard.

Good luck at the race tomorrow everyone! The perogies go down easier than bacon mid-race.

mtbr member
    I was kindly informed my the park rangers that the entire area is closed.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Dunno if I'm heading to terwilliger later or not. I might go look around for some trails by hawrelawk.(Spelt right?). Bomb through mckinnon, across the river on the bridge, take the gravel path to hawrelawk then find some trails. Gonna be busy down there to I bet.

mtbr member
    I went to terwilliger yesterday for a pre-ride of the course and parking was a gongshow. I have no clue where i'm going to park today. I'd stay away from there if i wasn't racing, just based on how busy it was yesterday. But you are more than welcome to go for a ride in terwilliger and stop and cheer us on.

I'm seriously nervous. I can't get my heartrate down. I'm having to do deep breathing excercises just to calm down.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I went to terwilliger yesterday for a pre-ride of the course and parking was a gongshow. I have no clue where i'm going to park today. I'd stay away from there if i wasn't racing, just based on how busy it was yesterday. But you are more than welcome to go for a ride in terwilliger and stop and cheer us on.

I'm seriously nervous. I can't get my heartrate down. I'm having to do deep breathing excercises just to calm down.

I decided to go. Pretty busy, my dad just dropped me off though. When I got there, they said go ahead and ride the course and be careful not to get plowed over. Pretty intense. I didn't know it was possible for anyone to ride up a hill that fast on a bike.

mtbr member
    ha ha ya. I didn't either. Tim Heemskerk lapped me on the long gravel climb up the firemans loop on my second lap and i saw him pass the people i could see in front of me. That guy is crazy fast.

I did a lot better than i expected. I'm really really happy with my results.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    ha ha ya. I didn't either. Tim Heemskerk lapped me on the long gravel climb up the firemans loop on my second lap and i saw him pass the people i could see in front of me. That guy is crazy fast.

I did a lot better than i expected. I'm really really happy with my results.
    Did you see a kid with a white helmet, black backpack and a Cannondale? I was there from about 1-3. Pretty much when the elites were going at it. Those guys were freaking fast.

mtbr member
    No I didn't see you, well I might have seen you but I was pretty focused on my race. It was a lot of fun. I'm glad you came out and I hope you had some fun.

I was really nervous the week before the race, but it wasn't really that big of a deal. In the end I had fun. It was painful but it wasn't a brutally painful as i thought it would be. Ya there is a bit of strategy that comes into play and as I race more I'm sure I'll learn more. But for me in novice I basically realized that I'm as fit as I am and I basically raced as hard as I could given my current fitness and skill and that's all i could expect from myself. I'll just try to improve on it next time. No strategy would have helped me catch people 5 minutes ahead of me. finishing mid pack in the top 1/2 of the field is about as good as I expected for my first race ever.

I had a lot of fun. I don't have a real license. So if they allow day licenses for the canada cup i'll probably do that one too. I live just south of kinsmen and I ride the singletrack that the canada cup is going to be held on all the time. I know it won't help me be more fit but I feel like i have a bit of home field advantage.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any good pictures from the race? My wife took some pics but our camera sucks and doesn't work well at all with moving shots so they kind of blurry.

Everything is usually posted on www.bikealberta.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    Everything is usually posted on www.bikealberta.com
    There is a ton of pics here: http://www.kayphoto.smugmug.com/gall...45145609_aywba

Double-metric mtb man
    I was kindly informed my the park rangers that the entire area is closed.
    If that's the case, they seriously need to do a better job of posting it. Every time I've been along lower Ewok this year, there has been a fair bit of traffic. On the Muttart end there is no notice of a trail closure for the lower Ewok. The MUT does have one, but it is much further along than the drop in for the lower Ewok (I usually run W to E on there, so that's what I see most often).

mtbr member
    If that's the case, they seriously need to do a better job of posting it. Every time I've been along lower Ewok this year, there has been a fair bit of traffic. On the Muttart end there is no notice of a trail closure for the lower Ewok. The MUT does have one, but it is much further along than the drop in for the lower Ewok (I usually run W to E on there, so that's what I see most often).
    If it is closed that is very odd. i've ridden both lower and middle ewok several times East to West and West to East more than once this year and never saw a sign besides on the MUT. If they ever post a sign, or someone from the city tells me it is closed I'll stay out. But if it is closed the should mark it better.

mtbr member
    I wasn't impressed either. Perhaps our friends over at EMBA can raise this? Spacemonkey - have you guys had these discussions with the city??

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

Awww, there's no pics of the stuff on the way down. After the gravel climb then pretty much downhill. There was a person with a camera when I went down. That stuff was crazy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    Awww, there's no pics of the stuff on the way down. After the gravel climb then pretty much downhill. There was a person with a camera when I went down. That stuff was crazy.
    ya i saw a guy with a camera when i was coming down there. I want to find those pics.

rides with camera
    I completely agree . Sometimes I take a little break by the golf course parking lot on the east side and watch Mothers with strollers and children pass through the red barrier ( which is rolled up ) and hike through . The only time I see park rangers anywhere in the valley is when I go through Hawerlak and they are busy ticketing cars illegally parked

I don`t understand why it would be closed , it has improved alot from 2-3 years ago , upper Ewok is pretty much runnable where it wasnt a while ago . If the city shut down the rest of the Ewok area I would be very pissed ............Just so you all know , I`m not one of those guys who rides illegal trails . Although tempting , I realize how that activity could tarnish the image of mountain bikers in the city . So I respect that and stay away . If they closed the Forest Park area it would be ridiculous .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera

Group ride

Would anyone be up for a group ride ? If so let me know what times and areas would work .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    I guess I should have posted this next week cause I am heading to the mountains this weekend (weather permitting). For the group ride I was thinking maybe Friday night or Saturday morning . I understand lots of you are busy Fridays but it is the best time to go riding cause there is very little traffic .........................I don`t know , just my suggestion . Whatever works for most people would be the best . Would meeting in Millcreek be o.k ? How about Terwilliger ? Anywhere else ? PM me or just post on here .

Cheers
    Ken
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I'd probably be down. It would depend on the day and time. I've spent a ton of time in the saddle and not with my wife, between training a lot last week, pre-riding saturday, racing sunday, racing today, pedalhead group ride tomorrow. I've been pushing my luck by not spending enough time with the wife. I promised her we'd go on a bike ride together on saturday. Friday would probably work better for me but even that i'm not 100% sure of. What time were you thinking? Like a few hours from 6 to 8 would work best for me.

I love mill creek and Terwilliger. Millcreek is closer for me though.

Double-metric mtb man
    I would, but I'm now in "break in" mode for a B17. Trying to get my butt in shape for the Ride. I've found I can do some shorter 20% grades on the CX bike...but road gearing is not ideal for climbing hills when the panniers are full

Besides, I still need to get my mitts on some auto wax for the Cake

mtbr member
    Saturday mornings would be nice as I have Friday night commitments. This weekend is out for me as well for reasons such as Dana mentioned, but next weekend I could probably make that happen on non-race weekends. I would prefer Terwillegar but I would also be open to Mill Creek. Even better, we could always shuffle it around the city and post here where it would be each week. Perhaps take turns - each week a different person could pick a venue and then lead that week's ride. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    ya i saw a guy with a camera when i was coming down there. I want to find those pics.
    I too would like to see those pics. I heard there were a few people who went over the bars down that hill.
    There seems to be more added to the smugmug site every day as another 50 or so were added since yesterday, so I'll try to keep an eye on that.

EMBA Board member
    Gord and those asking about the Forest hights Ewok area, We talked to the city about doing trail work there a year or two back. At the time they would not consider it because it was " a closed trail" we have not revisited the issue with them since.

We could talk to the city about this again and see what they think. Even if Only to clarafy if it is all closed or not.

I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

mtbr member
    Gord and those asking about the Forest hights Ewok area, We talked to the city about doing trail work there a year or two back. At the time they would not consider it because it was " a closed trail" we have not revisited the issue with them since.

We could talk to the city about this again and see what they think. Even if Only to clarafy if it is all closed or not.

I'll bring it up at the next meeting.
    Much appreciated. I want to ensure I am abiding by the law and not setting a bad example. If it is just the MUT (let's hope!) then they should better inform their staff. :/

rides with camera

Group ride

How about next weekend ? Friday night at 6 or Saturday morning at 9 ? We could make it Terwilliger for the first ride . Gord I was thinking the same way you were with switching start areas on each ride with somebody choosing a place to start .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Fridays are out for me, but I can make the Saturday morning ride if that is what we decide on. I'd be more than happy to lead the Terwillegar ride unless you want to do that SJ, as you are the one who brought it up. It's the only single track that I know enough of that I could lead a ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're open to having a middle aged slightly overweight and out of shape guy in the group I'll come down.

Used to ride to work daily when I lived in Calgary but since moving up last year I'm just starting to ride again.

rides with camera

Group Ride

Cool , next Saturday morning should probably work for everybody ! The only thing that could stop me is my trip to Jasper has been postponed till next weekend . It should work though cause I might head down Friday just for a day trip . So my legs might be a wee bit sore .

How does Terwilliger park Saturday June 6th 9:30 a.m sound ? Gord leads , everyone is
    welcome to come Silvestri . I was down there tonight and had a little incident on firemans loop coming down the hill , I`m still not used to the Moots yet and went over the handlebars and had the bike land on top of me . Suffice to say as bad as the crash seemed at the time I came away with only a few scrapes .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    You guys might want to consider that there is the corporate challenge mountainbike race in terwilliger on saturday. it is going to be very crowded and some of the trails will be roped off. Just thought i'd warn you.

I won't be able to go on saturday. However, Roddi showed all the pedalhead guys the exact canada cup course. Although Excel probably knows too because I saw him doing a lap with the hardcore guys. If any of you are planning to do the canada cup race I'd be more than happy to lead a ride sometime next week or next weekend and we can do a lap or two around the course and if people still feel good we can go into mill creek afterwards because mill creek is really close. I've probably done about 6 or 7 laps already. I'd really like to do well and figure the more times laps i do the more confident i'll be. At least in theory. I am busy all day saturday but I have nothing going on sunday.

rides with camera
    You guys might want to consider that there is the corporate challenge mountainbike race in terwilliger on saturday. it is going to be very crowded and some of the trails will be roped off. Just thought i'd warn you.

Oops , I saw the sign but didn`t look at the date , does anyone know the times ? I think we should probably avoid the area cause it will be very busy . Can we start in Millcreek ?
    How about Kinsmen ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Corporate Challenge is this Saturday (30th) and we are planing for June 6th so that will not be an issue.

rides with camera
    Corporate Challenge is this Saturday (30th) and we are planing for June 6th so that will not be an issue.
    Yes you are right , I`m a little embarrased cause I was there last night and never paid attention to the sign . I just checked the website and it is the 30th. Is the time o.k with everybody ? I`ll probably repost on Thursday just to confirm .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

I did a lap of the Canada Cup course Wednesday night with the Hardcore guys. The biggest surprise was the brand spanking new singletrack cut into the bush between Old Timers and the Queen E. Pool. It needs some serious riding-in.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with riding Ewok if the city can't be bothered to close the area properly and inform the public. Just because stroller moms and your grandpa can't hike on the MUT doesn't mean the singletrack is closed, and I can't see any real liability reason to close it. It's only getting better now that people are riding it .

Riding trails that are permanently closed is one thing (i.e. from Rainbow Valley southward), but if they aren't actively trying to fix the Ewok MUT, which is NOT dangerous, nor are there user conflicts/environmentally sensitive areas, then ride away. The city is just covering their asses.

mtbr member
    I did a lap of the Canada Cup course Wednesday night with the Hardcore guys. The biggest surprise was the brand spanking new singletrack cut into the bush between Old Timers and the Queen E. Pool. It needs some serious riding-in.
    I think the EMBA are going to be working on that section of trail tomorrow. I would like to help but as mentioned in a previous post. My wife isn't super happy with the fact that basically every night for the last week has been dedicated to mountain biking and next week isn't looking much better. I have scheduled rides on Monday, tuesday and wednesday.

What did you think of the canada cup course? I liked it.

It's a great course. The difficulty jumped up a notch with the new singletrack, especially the section I just rode yesterday. Good bike handling skills will save you minutes per lap.

mtbr member
    Ya that new section is really loose. I had to get off my bike 3 times just from spinning out. But like i said before I've done quite a few laps already and i'm planning on doing a bunch more just to gain confidence on all the difficult sections. I'll still keep working on my fitness of the next few weeks but I'd really love to do a bit better and think multiple pre-rides and working on my bike handling skills might pay off more in the end. I guess they brought the difficulty up for the canada cup elite/pro riders. I find some of the sections kind of challenging. I think some of the other novice riders will be challenged as well.

mtbr member
    I went for a casual ride with my wife and convinced her to hit a bit of singletrack. Much to my surprise she enjoyed it. We took things slow and I gave her tips. I really want to make mountain biking a fun experience for her. She really did well too. She was shocked that the roots aren't as challenging as she had thought in her head and that she can just kind of relax or roll over them. I know she'll never be into it as much as I am, but I'm pretty excited that she's starting to enjoy getting off the MUT and onto dirt. It was a good ride. She isn't in the best shape though and she's pretty tired now, but it was fun.

mtbr member
    I love that new section of single track they made for the Canada Cup. I agree that it does need more riders on it, but I love riding stuff like that. I went through it for the first time last Monday during the RVC group ride and I was able to fly through that section. If I could get an entire course of stuff like that I would actually stand a chance of winning!

mtbr member
    Do you mean the new section by the river that goes from the tennis courts to the bridge? That one is pretty loose but I like it. There is another new section that starts in a residential area and drops out by the washrooms. That other new section is the one I was refering too when i said it's too loose and really hard to manage.

Sherijumper did i run into you on the trails today? I had a brief conversation with a guy on the canada cup course today and after I took off I realized he was riding a moots and you are the only person I know of in the area with a moots. I've never seen one before.

rides with camera
    Ironically I ran into the same guy close to the Queen , he stopped me and we chatted for a bit . The wierd thing is I have been riding down there 2-6 days a week for 18 years and I have never seen a Moots in the river valley . Only three weeks after getting mine I see one .

I hit that new singletrack from the bridge to the tennis courts for the first time today . I really wish we could have something like that run the length of the valley ! That would be pretty awesome .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    There is another new section that starts in a residential area and drops out by the washrooms. That is the one I was refering too when i said it's too loose and really hard to manage.
    I haven't seen that section yet - I may have to do some exploring to see if I can come across it.

mtbr member
    That is kind of odd. I've honestly never seen a moots in real life before today so I was wondering if it was you.

That is a really nice new piece of singletrack.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen that section yet - I may have to do some exploring to see if I can come across it.
    It's really hard to find if you don't know where it is. You have to hop a curb to get into it. I don't know how to describe where it is.

You know the stairs by the steep hill at one end of Old Timers' Cabin/Treasure Island?

Go out to the steep road off of Saskatchewan Drive, go down the steep hill, and hop the curb into the bush on the left hand side of the road by the houses. I can't remember where it pops out. Somewhere closer to the pool.

Good luck with my bad directions! It is hard to find.

mtbr member
    Gord are you going to race tomorrow? My bike is in the shop until wednesday but I might change the tires on my old Rocky Mountain hardtail (I'm currently using it as a commuter and have slicks on there) and give it a try. Given the race course last week there isn't anything sketchy enough that a full suspension is even necessary, except for the fact that my full suspension HIFI is about 3 pounds lighter than the hard tail Rocky Mountain.

mtbr member
    Gord are you going to race tomorrow? My bike is in the shop until wednesday but I might change the tires on my old Rocky Mountain hardtail (I'm currently using it as a commuter and have slicks on there) and give it a try.
    I did something weird to my foot while golfing on Saturday so I am going to try the RVC group ride tonight to check where I am at. I think my biking shoes should neutralize my problem but I haven't tested it out yet. If everything is okay I will be there Tuesday for sure. Are you guys still up for a ride after the race?

mtbr member
    I was pain free for the two hour ride tonight so I am definitely in for tomorrow's race at Terwillegar, barring anything stupid happening between now and then. With my recent string of luck recently, its not if but when the next injury or mechanical failure will occur. :/

mtbr member
    good to hear. I'll see you there. If i can fix up my old hardtail in time.

mtbr member
    I just noticed this online for anyone interested. http://albertamtbracing.files.wordpr...tech-guide.pdf

I just registered. 3 laps for novice. That's going to be a long race unless everyone is faster than me. My fastest lap time by myself is just under 28 minutes.
    Last edited by dana109; 06-02-2009 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm trying to get my morning commute in to work downtown by trying to find a route after work.. so anyways I've so far gotten from South Terwillegar to the back of the Whitemud Equine Centre. That hill up from the end of Keillor Road up to Sask. Drive has me beat, but one day I'll be able to get to the top without stopping.

Is there a way to get from the Equine Centre all the way around without having to go up to Sask. Drive? I'm hoping there's a path/singletrack I can take to stay by the river on the backside of Hawrelak, but I have yet to find it. The 2007 Edmonton Bike Map from the edmonton.ca web site doesn't have anything shown.

Gosh I'm feeling like a noob all over again.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri
    I'm trying to get my morning commute in to work downtown by trying to find a route after work.. so anyways I've so far gotten from South Terwillegar to the back of the Whitemud Equine Centre. That hill up from the end of Keillor Road up to Sask. Drive has me beat, but one day I'll be able to get to the top without stopping.

Is there a way to get from the Equine Centre all the way around without having to go up to Sask. Drive? I'm hoping there's a path/singletrack I can take to stay by the river on the backside of Hawrelak, but I have yet to find it. The 2007 Edmonton Bike Map from the edmonton.ca web site doesn't have anything shown.

Gosh I'm feeling like a noob all over again.

There is a trail that runs with the river and will take you to Hawerlak but it isn`t the best and you will be hiking your bike quite a bit . Other then that I don`t know . It isn`t an area I frequent often , hopefully somebody else can help .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera

Group ride

Terwilliger park this Saturday at 9:30 . Will this time work ? Not to early , not to late ?
    Please post if you are coming . I won`t show up if nobody posts .

Happy trails

Ken
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I will see you there at 9:30!

rides with camera
    Cool , Anyone else coming ?

My car is an old p.o.s accord with yakima roof rack . See you there .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I don't know if i'll be there. Saturday is my birthday and I think i'm supposed to do something with the inlaws. Although I'd kind of like to go as long as I can be back by like noon. I assume it isn't going to be 3 hour hammerfest.

rides with camera
    I think noon is easily doable , I can`t see it being a real grinder . It is an open ride so I wouldn`t want anyone to feel intimidated to show up . Just an hour and a half or two of cruising through the trees enjoying our bikes . If anyone can`t make it there will be more group rides . I was thinking maybe bi-weekly .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First time out to Terwillegar tonight, biked from the Haddow end down river to the park, those climbs pwned me.. I bailed once (couldn't unclip fast enough) after nearly running into my riding partner.

I'll see if I can build up some confidence to head out this weekend.. otherwise I might pass, don't want to hold everyone back.

mtbr member
    bi-weekly could work. Especially since a lot of us, excel and gord (I think you are racing canada cup aren't you?) and I are racing the canada cup next weekend.

Gord - Do you still want me to take you on a lap of where the canada cup will be? What day works best for you?

This is an open invitation. I'll let you know when we figure out the time but if anyone wants to race the canada cup course and wants to do a lap or two this weekend let me know. I know with about 95% certainty where the course will be. I don't know if they will have people on the grass or the MUT to link the singletrack but I do know basically what the course will be. I'm thinking sunday. I told my friend Denis that I'd take him on a lap because he's still deciding if he wants to do it or not. Saturday doesn't work for him so maybe sunday sometime. I'll probably do a few laps on sunday anyway just because I want to know and feel confident on every single root of the trail. So let me know if you want to come. I figure every bit of knowledge you can get about the course can only help.

I'm really wanting to do good at this race. But I have a the feeling it's going to be really hard to break into the top 10 or even top 15. There is a lot of buzz about this event and I know at least 5 guys from pedalhead who aren't racers and will be in novice because they have never raced but they are really fast and very good technical riders. It isn't sandbagging exactly but it's guys wanting to be a part of a really cool event in edmonton. But i think there are going to be a lot of guys in novice and the competition is going to be pretty strong. Oh well. I need to not focus on my place and results so much and just focus on having the best race i can.

mtbr member
    Yes, I will be racing in the CC. Let me know what time works for you on Sunday and I will make it work for me. Thanks Dana!

rides with camera

Group ride

I am a little worried about the trail conditions for tomorrows ride . Does anyone have any idea what it is like ? It did stop raining and isn`t supposed to rain anymore ( hopefully ) I am not a big fan of riding muddy trails cause it is pretty bad for them . I was out earlier today when the rain started and by the time I returned to the car the trails were tacky which wasn`t that bad ................but it continued raining , albeit not that hard . If anyone knows anything about the conditions that would be great . If your open to postponing just post on here . I`ll keep my eye on the computer throughout the evening . Hopefully we can make it work .

Cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    The last time i was out at terwilliger it was so dusty and try I doubt that small amount of rain actually made the trails too muddy but I haven't been there since tuesday so who knows.

My wife just told me she is sleeping in tomorrow and that tomorrow is my birthday and I want to spend it on my bike or with her it doesn't matter. So I plan on being there at 9:30 unless someone posts otherwise before that. I've never met you sherijumper but I have met gord so i'll just look for gord. Have you two met?

If gord isn't there I'll probably be wearing a blue mec jersey (my only longsleeve jersey cause it's supposed to be cool) and I ride a grey GF HIFI deluxe.

rides with camera
    The last time i was out at terwilliger it was so dusty and try I doubt that small amount of rain actually made the trails too muddy but I haven't been there since tuesday so who knows.
    I was thinking the same thing , I think the rain would get soaked up pretty fast , but you never know . I was driving to Sherwood park late this afternoon and it was raining pretty hard.

I`ll be there with my neglected mojo .

cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I just got back from a ride and the rain was only enough to keep the dust down - I didn't find any mud out there tonight. This rain is exactly what the doctor ordered. If you are looking for me, I am the tall skinny guy riding the Kona Four Deluxe.

Double-metric mtb man
    I went out for a little ride yesterday (Friday). Took the cross bike out along Whyte to Hwy 216 and then did the Henday to 111 Ave in the west end and then rode home. It ended up being about 66 km in the wind, rain and dark. I guess riding the Henday at night qualifies me for my screen name

One week to the new house, three to the Ride....man, this is going to be a busy month!

rides with camera
    I guess riding the Henday at night qualifies me for my screen name
    you just have to watch out for those guys driving down the shoulder
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    The ride yesterday was good aside from Gords "incident" with his wheel . That sucks buddy ! Last night I ended up going out to my favourite local place "Ft Sask" and got scared to death by a startled deer in the trees next to me . Holy sh$t that was loud

I hope to make it out to the race on saturday to take pictures , the only thing that could change my mind is a trip out to Jasper .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    The ride yesterday was good aside from Gords "incident" with his wheel . That sucks buddy ! Last night I ended up going out to my favourite local place "Ft Sask" and got scared to death by a startled deer in the trees next to me . Holy sh$t that was loud

I hope to make it out to the race on saturday to take pictures , the only thing that could change my mind is a trip out to Jasper .
    Hey where do you ride in ft sask? That'd be really convienient for me.

mtbr member
    I just did 3 laps of the canada cup course. I did a slower lap with Gord and my friend Denis (Gord are you alright?) and then i ran into a bunch of expert and sport racers from pedalhead and i tried to hang onto them for 2 more laps. I'm about to collapse. This race is going to be tough both physically and mentally. It's a really tough course. There is a lot of sections that are soft and/or loose and you don't realize it but they just suck the energy right out of your legs.

mtbr member
    The ride yesterday was good aside from Gords "incident" with his wheel . That sucks buddy !
    My wheel is damaged beyond the point of ever getting it back to true, but it is running about 90%. A new one is on order and should be here by Tues or Wed.

I just did 3 laps of the canada cup course. I did a slower lap with Gord and my friend Denis (Gord are you alright?)
    Ya, I'm fine. Where you guys found me made it look way worse than what it really was. After I lost it on the roots, I jumped off rather than just slamming down to the ground. With the speed I was carrying I ended up running about 15M downhill through the bush at top speed before I tripped and fell, skidding to a stop. I sure am glad there wasn't any large trees to 'break' my fall!

Thanks for leading me through a lap before I ventured out on my own. There were definitely some parts that I wouldn't have made it through safely had you not gave a warning!

That is by far more technical that either of the previous ABA races this year. I am really looking forward to watching the elite riders go through this track!

Dana, I expect you to finish on the podium with all the practice you've done, riding with the elite racers and this course being in your back yard!!

rides with camera
    Hey Upandatem I go down there every weekend , I park by the tennis courts and do the so called "death trail" . I should be heading there this weekend , I`ll be at the race taking pictures ( I`m starting to dig this photography thing ) so I`ll be going late in the day , if you want to hook up . Let me know .

I`ll throw in a pic of my new ti beauty taking a break at the backside of the loop down by the river .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    My wheel is damaged beyond the point of ever getting it back to true, but it is running about 90%. A new one is on order and should be here by Tues or Wed.

That`s too bad about the wheel , I guess it comes with mountainbiking . I`ve had my share of stuff breaking over the years . Sounds like your weekend was not so good overall , so that only means next weekend will be pretty darn good

Seriously good luck in the race to you and dana , hope to see you there . I`ll be the guy posing as a professional photographer .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member

Ya, I'm fine. Where you guys found me made it look way worse than what it really was. After I lost it on the roots, I jumped off rather than just slamming down to the ground. With the speed I was carrying I ended up running about 15M downhill through the bush at top speed before I tripped and fell, skidding to a stop. I sure am glad there wasn't any large trees to 'break' my fall!

Thanks for leading me through a lap before I ventured out on my own. There were definitely some parts that I wouldn't have made it through safely had you not gave a warning!

That is by far more technical that either of the previous ABA races this year. I am really looking forward to watching the elite riders go through this track!

Dana, I expect you to finish on the podium with all the practice you've done, riding with the elite racers and this course being in your back yard!!
    I'm glad you are ok.

And yes they really uped the technical difficulty from the perogy race. I think Excel made that comment a few posts back. I think it's a really tough course.

I'm certainly not thinking of a podium spot. I got destroyed on the course today. On my third lap my vision was blurry and i messed up on a section and cut my arm. I'd really like to finish in the top 1/2 or at least mid pack.

mtbr member
    That`s too bad about the wheel , I guess it comes with mountainbiking . I`ve had my share of stuff breaking over the years . Sounds like your weekend was not so good overall , so that only means next weekend will be pretty darn good

Seriously good luck in the race to you and dana , hope to see you there . I`ll be the guy posing as a professional photographer .
    Thanks! I need all the good luck I can get just to complete three laps. I'm way over my head on this one...

rides with camera
    Was hoping to get out to the canada cup to get pictures but couldn`t due to unexpected family commitments . Hope everything went well with everybody .
    Last edited by sherijumper; 06-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Was riding around on my roadie and went over to check it out, too bad the racing was all but over. I did secure a test ride on a Titus RacerX 29er, methinks I should've gone for a 29 instead of the 26 - that baby was sweet!

Then my pager went off and I had to bring'er back to the trailer. But I thought for a sec - they have my roadie, I have this RacerX... good trade. haha!

mtbr member
    I had a really crappy day. It seriously sucked. I was in the top 10 (out of 68) going into the singletrack. I got passed by a few guys and was sitting at about 14th or 15th on my second lap and I felt better and faster on my second lap than on my first. Then my chain broke 1/2 way through the race. I tried to do a repair but i couldn't get it together. I didn't finish. I'm really pissed off.

rides with camera
    Sucks to hear about the race , I can relate even though I don`t race . I try to get to the mountains around three times a year . It hardly happens but one trip I had a bad mechanical and couldn`t ride ...................Very frustrating !

I heard Titus had a demo trailer there , bums me out that I missed it . How long did you get to ride ? Was there a long wait for bikes ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I got there a little late, the race was over, they were putting bikes back into the trailer.

There was a 26 RacerX and a 29 RacerX sitting out there and no lineups. I thought - what the heck, why not - asked if I could take it out for a spin and off I went (shortly after I made myself look like an idiot and confusing Titus with Turner - hey, could've happened to anybody). I had it for about 5 minutes when my pager went off, so I went a little further and returned it afterwards - I'd say I had it for a little over 10 minutes?

EMBA Board member
    I took one of Titus's 29ers out for about 20 minutes it was during the race so I did not get to ride on the track but boy it is nice how 29ers roll over roots. now If I only had 4 or five grand to spare.
    As to the race even without the mechanical problems it was a hot day to be slogging around that course.

Hope to see some of you at bikeology this weekend, Solar powered music and pedal powered smoothies yay!

rides with camera
    29ers are great for taller riders cause they can get moving in a hurry because it is more suitable to their size , so I`ve heard . I would still like to try one though !

First ride tonight since Saturday , that`s pretty sad . I had a pretty wicked wipeout too , I think my helmet might be pooched . What is it with that new bike If anyone is wondering about a ride this Saturday I can`t do it , more family comittments
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    same here. My brother is have a bbq and I have an eye appointment. we can try to do a ride next weekend.

I demo'ed the Gary Fisher 29er race hardtail the Trek tent had, and I like the way the big wheels roll but it's not the revelation everyone says it is. I wasn't really impressed by the fork, either.

However, it wasn't a tubeless setup, which would make a significant difference on the big wheels.

26er full suspension will be my next bike.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...I'd be up for a ride, but I won't be in town

rides with camera
    Hehehe...I'd be up for a ride, but I won't be in town
    Sounds good buddy , good luck and have fun out there . When are you leaving ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera

Group ride

First off , anyone see the fire tonight ? At the end of the singletrack below Queen Elizibeth park . It was that city park activity center in the trees . I rode through there a half hour earlier and saw nothing , coming back I heard the sirens and saw thick black smoke . It was cool how fast they had it knocked down .............Had to be arson , bugs me cause I probably rode close to the people who started it . Once again I left my camera at home , it seems like something happens when I don`t have it .

Anyways Friday night 6:30 or Saturday morning 9:30 , start in Millcreek . Let me know what works best . I`m open to anything .

Happy trails

Ken
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I saw the fire. Well I didn't see the fire but i came down right by the fence and smelled smoke and saw sirens so i just turned around.

EMBA Board member
    Friday night EMBA is having a group ride Starts at 5:30 meet at Kinsmen park at the Husky House. So if your thinking of doing a ride Friday just join up with Us and Ride with the IMBA Trail care crew, the ride will end up at the Billiards club for beer and door prizes.

Come on out! Would be great to see you and actualy have the time to share a pint after.

rides with camera
    Friday night EMBA is having a group ride Starts at 5:30 meet at Kinsmen park at the Husky House. So if your thinking of doing a ride Friday just join up with Us and Ride with the IMBA Trail care crew, the ride will end up at the Billiards club for beer and door prizes.

Come on out! Would be great to see you and actualy have the time to share a pint after.
    Could work for me , the only problem which I realized tonight is it is the last day of school for my kids and I haven`t been home all week . So I should probably do something with them . Do you guys do this weekly ? or is this a one time shot ? If so ....................well
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member

I didn't register for the trail care thing. But the pedalhead guys were telling me to come out to the ride anyway, not just me but they've been promoting it to all pedalhead club members.

What is the ride going to look like? Are we going to split up based on ability? I'm curious because I know some guys who told me they are coming who are expert level racers and really fast, and i've heard from some other people who said they might come out to the ride that are quite new to the sport. I'm curious because no one wants to get dragged along by super fast riders barely able to keep up, but no one wants to have to ride as slow as they can without falling just to not lose slower riders.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Just got back from my first in nearly a month. My front wheel was messed, axle was bent, replaced the axle, it sits straight but still needs truing. Also bought a new seat to replace the CO2 cannondale seat. Yet to try it.

I have to go to work with my dad tomorrow morning to wash his truck then may ride laurier.

Double-metric mtb man
    Wooweee! I just got back from the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Edmonton's got nothing on those hills! Hope everyone had a good weekend

rides with camera
    Hey Mike , good to see your back . How was it ? How were the tents ? What kind of entertainment did they have at camp ? Holy sh$t I`m full of questions .

Speaking of hills I`m off to Jasper tomorrow for a quick day trip . If I get some good shots I might post them in the passion or maybe the western Canada forum .

Cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    Didn`t get any good shots , I like this one though . Heading to the 5 lakes trail via Old fort point
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    nice I'm a big fan of jasper and have never ridden there. I need to fix that.

I went on a ride last night just working on my technical skills. I went around to about 5 or 6 techincal rooty hills that i struggle with and worked on climbing up them without putting a foot down. I went up and down about 10 times each until i could climb them without putting a foot down. Then I did west coast trail back and forth until i could do it perfectly. I always struggle climbing the spine. And then I did a lap of the canada cup course just for fun.

All in time to go see my brother's quartet play jazzfest. it was a good evening.

rides with camera
    Is west coast trail the one below the old timers cabin ? I know that trail has a "spine" .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Somewhat excited for when I get some more cash. I have plans to convert my F8 to SS. I don't like the fact that a 9spd cassette can cost upwards of $100. So I'm just going to convert to ss. Its like $15 for spacers and 2 cogs, But after I get that, I'll be getting the surly cog because I've heard they're more durable. Then a chain, and I'm set.

May not be the best for edmonton, but I kind of want a bit lighter and less maintence. Oh, should add in I'm probably going riding in patricia heights with a friend later today. Should be good.

mtbr member
    Is west coast trail the one below the old timers cabin ? I know that trail has a "spine" .
    yes if you take the multiway path down from the odl timers cabin and then take a left on the paved trail and immediately go left.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    My ride today.
    Got muddy, chilled by the river with a friend, fell on my @$$, took my shorts off to ring them out(fell in the water), thought my phone would be fine in my pocket after wringing them out, thought wrong. So what I'm left with is partly dried shorts, a dead cellphone, and good memories.

rides with camera
    Is it just me or are those little green worms getting pretty annoying , in spots there are still lots of them . We even found some in our house . I haven`t had the pleasure of tasting one yet
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    oh seriously they are everywhere. I did a 500 m section of singletrack on thursday and stopped at the end and probably had to pull about 16 or 17 off me and off my bike. I've had enough of them.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Never really though of using a bike to ride to fishing spots...Took a nice trail down to the river with jigs and a telo rod, and sat there for about 2 hours. Friend called, he came down, we ended up swimming in the river somehow, heh.(I know, I know. Not the smartest thing to do).

Have to clean and maintence my bike sometime soon. I'm kind of p*ssed my Filzer dZ4l quit on me. Sensors probably just need cleaning.

mtbr member
    oh seriously they are everywhere. I did a 500 m section of singletrack on thursday and stopped at the end and probably had to pull about 16 or 17 off me and off my bike. I've had enough of them.
    It seems like those worms are much worse in certain areas than others. They are absolutely horrible around Kinsmen area yet I didn't come across any of them in the Ewok area nor did I find any all the way East to the SSP.

mtbr member
    ya i live and ride in the kinsmen area all the time. They seem to be the worst in my neighborhood.

I still haven't decided if i'm going to race in devon on sunday. I'm leaving on a 6 day backpacking trip on monday at 5 am. I'm thinking i should save my energy. But I do really want to race. I really want to see where I stack up against people since perogy. I didn't find that out because i didn't finish at canada cup.

mtbr member
    For those who are interested in seeing what XC racing is all about, come out to the Devon Dust Up. http://bikealberta.com/?p=1533

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Is there a Redline Dealer here in edmonton? I'm looking into a 29er Monocog.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey Mike , good to see your back . How was it ? How were the tents ? What kind of entertainment did they have at camp ? Holy sh$t I`m full of questions .

Cheers
    You ask, I tell.... (Sorry, getting into the house and getting it set up has taken most of my time for the last 3 weeks).

The Ride was awesome...I loved almost every moment of it. We started off in Calgary at the Deerfoot Inn and Casino...headed east to the next major road that went down to 22x, then through Calgary on 22x to 22 and south, south, south. Camp was 100 km in at the Bar U ranch. Camp was good...especially the hot showers. Tents weren't bad, food was great, I'm not big on country, but the band had some variation available.

The second day we went south to the Sierra West Ranch which is just a little north of the Crowsnest on 22. The hills were brutal (Edmonton has nothing even remotely close) but the 30 km wind all day on Day 2 made it really tough....as I said, I liked almost every moment of it.

I was unique in that I was also a medical crew volunteer....I did the ride with 40 lbs of first aid gear, my gear and some basic tools strapped to the bike...the hills were a bugger on a 68 lb (40 lbs in panniers, 28 in bike, rack, etc, etc) bike!!

I'm a glutton for punishment, though....already signed up for next year My sig has the new link already.

By the numbers, the Ride was like this: 1742 riders, $6.9 million raised, 184 km in the foothills, 1607 vertical meters climbing, Psycho Mike's goal: $5,000, actual: $6,050.

rides with camera
    You ask, I tell.... (Sorry, getting into the house and getting it set up has taken most of my time for the last 3 weeks).

The Ride was awesome...I loved almost every moment of it. We started off in Calgary at the Deerfoot Inn and Casino...headed east to the next major road that went down to 22x, then through Calgary on 22x to 22 and south, south, south. Camp was 100 km in at the Bar U ranch. Camp was good...especially the hot showers. Tents weren't bad, food was great, I'm not big on country, but the band had some variation available.

The second day we went south to the Sierra West Ranch which is just a little north of the Crowsnest on 22. The hills were brutal (Edmonton has nothing even remotely close) but the 30 km wind all day on Day 2 made it really tough....as I said, I liked almost every moment of it.

I was unique in that I was also a medical crew volunteer....I did the ride with 40 lbs of first aid gear, my gear and some basic tools strapped to the bike...the hills were a bugger on a 68 lb (40 lbs in panniers, 28 in bike, rack, etc, etc) bike!!

I'm a glutton for punishment, though....already signed up for next year My sig has the new link already.

By the numbers, the Ride was like this: 1742 riders, $6.9 million raised, 184 km in the foothills, 1607 vertical meters climbing, Psycho Mike's goal: $5,000, actual: $6,050.
    Cool dude , sounds like your bike was really loaded down I`m sure the Jake handled it quite well .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Went for a quick ride of the Groat Road Rollercoaster (see Youtube) with a friend and had some fun. It was a little slick in a few places, but my Minions had no problem with traction.

Friend's Michelin Dry2 XC tires were different though, they wouldn't shed the wet dirt and so he didn't have any traction at all. Kept sliding around, to the point it was dangerous to keep riding, especially with Groat on the left.

Short but fun.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri
    Went for a quick ride of the Groat Road Rollercoaster (see Youtube) with a friend and had some fun. It was a little slick in a few places, but my Minions had no problem with traction.

Friend's Michelin Dry2 XC tires were different though, they wouldn't shed the wet dirt and so he didn't have any traction at all. Kept sliding around, to the point it was dangerous to keep riding, especially with Groat on the left.

Short but fun.
    Checked out the video , it`s weird cause I think I`ve been there but don`t really know . Guess I`ll have to go check it out and find out for sure .

How did the race go for everybody ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I got the Cake all maintained and found some wax for the signature...then I went exploring the local bit of Mill Creek down here in Millwoods. Hmmm....Something tells me I'll be doing a fair bit more riding to get to the better trails. Not much here in the southeast

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Aww, man. I've had a bad week. So many damaged parts...front rotor is bent horrible and the caliper was damaged during the crash, today after tightening down my top stem bolt, star nut is now toast, noticed my rear quick release axle is bent...Rims are bent beyond repair(still ridable though)

I'm going to talk to my parents to see if they can help me out with the quick release axle and starnut. My rear brakes works enough to stop me. But I do know one thing, if I land a job at Save-On Foods on the west end now that I'm 15(required age there), I'll be putting all I make away into a safe place till I have enough for a higher-quality bike. Still not sure who I'm going with, I'm tempted to stay away from cannondale for some reason...

rides with camera
    Well, I got the Cake all maintained and found some wax for the signature...then I went exploring the local bit of Mill Creek down here in Millwoods. Hmmm....Something tells me I'll be doing a fair bit more riding to get to the better trails. Not much here in the southeast

I used to go there quite a bit years ago when we lived in the meadows , kinda crappy but not bad when your house is a minute away .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Aww, man. I've had a bad week. So many damaged parts...front rotor is bent horrible and the caliper was damaged during the crash, today after tightening down my top stem bolt, star nut is now toast, noticed my rear quick release axle is bent...Rims are bent beyond repair(still ridable though)

I'm going to talk to my parents to see if they can help me out with the quick release axle and starnut. My rear brakes works enough to stop me. But I do know one thing, if I land a job at Save-On Foods on the west end now that I'm 15(required age there), I'll be putting all I make away into a safe place till I have enough for a higher-quality bike. Still not sure who I'm going with, I'm tempted to stay away from cannondale for some reason...
    Saying one brand is better than another when you are comparing bikes that are similarly equipped, and in similar price ranges is usually foolish. *S* Some guys tend to break a lot stuff, or are just naturally hard on things... Sounds like you could fall into both those categories!
    Some kind of beefy dirt jumping thing with double wide rims is probably just the ticket for a fellow like you!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dad
    Saying one brand is better than another when you are comparing bikes that are similarly equipped, and in similar price ranges is usually foolish. *S* Some guys tend to break a lot stuff, or are just naturally hard on things... Sounds like you could fall into both those categories!
    Some kind of beefy dirt jumping thing with double wide rims is probably just the ticket for a fellow like you!

Yeah, I know its not cannondale. I'll probably go with them again...just something with better components.

But on another note, my bikes back together. New 70mm stem, top cap and bolt, and QR axle.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I'm probably heading out early tomorrow morning to get riding in before it get's super hot.

My drafter is really going to come in handy tomorrow.

rides with camera
    Zadey for your next ride may I recommend .....................
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Zadey for your next ride may I recommend .....................

Heh.

When I was out riding this morning, started at Mackinon, across the bridge, then from emily murphy to hawrelwark, then to laurier and ended up in mackenzie.

I was super careful on todays ride though. I need to stop being rough on my bike. Heh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heh.

When I was out riding this morning, started at Mackinon, across the bridge, then from emily murphy to hawrelwark, then to laurier and ended up in mackenzie.

I was super careful on todays ride though. I need to stop being rough on my bike. Heh.
    As you get older and ride more you will begin to develop some more finesse! I have a couple of guys starting to ride with me now that have not been out on their bikes in years, it is so much fun to watch them bust stuff, wipeout and otherwise have a good time. This is what it is all about, having a good time. A cool zoot bike is always nice, but not required!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dad
    As you get older and ride more you will begin to develop some more finesse! I have a couple of guys starting to ride with me now that have not been out on their bikes in years, it is so much fun to watch them bust stuff, wipeout and otherwise have a good time. This is what it is all about, having a good time. A cool zoot bike is always nice, but not required!

I somehow shattered my derailler.(I have no idea how, It wasn't even on my bike when I got home.) So now I have no gears, no brakes and I'm going to temporary SS till I get a kit. But...Its helluva lot lighter now. Lol.

mtbr member
    I somehow shattered my derailler.(I have no idea how, It wasn't even on my bike when I got home.) So now I have no gears, no brakes and I'm going to temporary SS till I get a kit. But...Its helluva lot lighter now. Lol.
    I don't understand how you ride your bike. In the last two years the only damage i've done is broken a chain and had 2 flat tires.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I don't understand how you ride your bike. In the last two years the only damage i've done is broken a chain and had 2 flat tires.

Its better to have a damaged 500$ bike than a damaged $5000 bike. I'm still learning...

EMBA Board member
    Ride Reports for the river valley Trails after the storm.

Last night I took Kinnard ravine down into the Valley(6 Massive trees down across the trail, None are ride overable) from there I cut a quick Right up the hill climb onto the great little piece of single track there (Does this have a name?) Climbed up to the top and enjoyed the view of the Dusk lit city at around 10:00, dropped back in and came across only 3 small trees and these were ones that I was able to move off the trail by hand. I Climbed up and exited on 82 street and Jasper Ave. So this Section is now clear of trees.

This brings us to the place where I ask you to do the same thing. Go Out Ride And Report. If the trees are things you can get off the trail with minamal effort go right ahead, the city is not going to be able to get to the river valley trails for sometime there still cleaning up the streets, cemetaries and
    Quote Originally Posted by city of edmonton
    getting the trees off people's houses and cars
    . So Ride carefull and let us know where there is massive trees down.

mtbr member
    massive trees down on a trail pedalhead riders call "lower mainland." that i noticed last night. It was part of the canada cup trail and it's right by old timer cabin. If you are coming from the old timer cabin and you turn right onto the MUT and you take your first left and dop into the singletrack there is a massive tree down. There were a few smaller trees down all over the place and i moved what i could while i was out last night.

I don't know if the city will get to the multi-use trails but there are too many to even name between dawson bridge and capilano on both the north and south side of the river. That doubletrack along the golfcourse on the south side of the river between dawson bridge and capilano there are about 5 or 6 smaller trees down that you can just hop over. I just went back on the paved MUT from capilano back towards dawson and there were probably 5 big trees down and they are almost impossible to get around. Some we had to hike into the trees to find a place to get over because there are big branches so you can just hop over it.

I didn't go on a long trip last night but those are the ones i saw down. I will report if i notice more.

rides with camera
    That`s why I recommended you the tank .......................Indestructable

Cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    Things are rough down there and I think it will be a long time till things are back to normal , I have moved alot of smaller trees off of alot of the singletrack but there is still alot of big trees that are unmovable . I have a good saw that I can throw in my camelback which I`ll take with me on my high km weekend runs .

I almost think it is better to report the trails that are clear , cause sadly those are rare!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    The city gets one of these .

I`m impressed on how the cleanup is going , I honestly thought it would have taken them longer . Can`t expect them to do any of the singletrack , guess that`s more up to us . I`ve noticed that some of the trails have been cleared . So thank you if it`s any of you guys .

Has anyone been riding in the heat ? On Saturday I went through 6 litres of water (it was a long ride) The trails were very quiet . It was nice The heat doesn`t bother me too much , I just stay hydrated .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I was out on Friday night and did most of the single track at Strathcona Science Park - everything was clear except the entry into one of the ST trails and I moved what needed to be moved. I left a few down that were easy to cross as SSP needs more roots and logs anyway! I was out at Terwillegar on Saturday and I didn't notice anything down on the trails I rode.

I was ridiing out in Nordegg during the weekend of the storm and if not for what I've read or been told, I would never have known anything even happened!

mtbr member
    I was in canmore all weekend for 24 hours of adrenaline. I'd never ridden in Canmore before. Great singletrack and tons of climbing.

Double-metric mtb man
    I went for a ride yesterday down to my old haunts....Mill Creek Ravine has some windfalls in it, but is generally not too bad. Biggest thing was the amount of wet riding that has gone on....lots of places have been hit hard by people riding when it was too wet

I think I found some of the Canada Cup circuit ....came under the Walterdale and spotted some flagging that wasn't there the last time I was....nice tight, twisty singletrack. Not particularly hard in terms of terrain, but very challenging to take with any speed.

Overall, a nice ride up from Mill Woods....but I can tell I haven't been doing a lot of 45 km rides as of late...got home just in time...the rain started and my legs were starting to say "stop".
    Last edited by Psycho Mike; 08-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.

rides with camera
    I just got over a slump , seems to happen every year . This year we bought a new car and work got busy so I increased the hours (what a jerk boss ) It was over a week since my last ride untill last night and it felt great

Seriously , I can`t believe what a pain in the arse car shopping then buying is .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    If anyone is wanting to ride on Mondays evenings, come on out to the RVC group ride at the upper Mill Creek pool parking lot at 6:30.

mtbr member
    I'm curious. How far do you go and how hard? I'd be interested, maybe. Because I'm busy this wednesday when i do my normal pedalhead ride.

The only reason I might not is that i hurt my knee a few weeks ago and it won't heal. Everytime i ride for more than 25km my knee starts hurting. Every single time my knee starts flaring up i look down at my computer it's right on cue between 24km and 28km mark. It sucks.

mtbr member
    I'm curious. How far do you go and how hard? I'd be interested, maybe. Because I'm busy this wednesday when i do my normal pedalhead ride.

The only reason I might not is that i hurt my knee a few weeks ago and it won't heal. Everytime i ride for more than 25km my knee starts hurting. Every single time my knee starts flaring up i look down at my computer it's right on cue between 24km and 28km mark. It sucks.
    I don't remember doing more than 20kms on any ride I have gone on. If we did, it was definitely under 25kms It's not a hammerfest but we do keep a decent pace - nothing that would have you gasping for air though. Usually just riding fun trails and enjoying ourselves!.

mtbr member
    cool. I might come out. I'll have to talk to my wife. But I think it would be good for me with my hurting knee.

My normal pedalhead ride is 30-40km and it's a hammerfest. It's relentless.

mtbr member
    I can't make it. I forgot I already made plans with the wife. Plus i'm going to try to get into see a physio-therapist as soon as possible. My knee is really hurting me.

mtbr member
    I guess I have IT band friction syndrome. I can't ride for at least a week and maybe 2 weeks.

It's going to be a long week. I'm an addict.

Start foam rolling your IT band, quads, and hip flexors and stretch everything. Quads, hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings... etc. You'll be OK again before 2 weeks are up, promise .

Look up foam rolling on the internet. You can get a roller at a fitness supply store (Lucki's downtown has the good hard ones).

Still touring in B.C.! See you in Sept.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Start foam rolling your IT band, quads, and hip flexors and stretch everything. Quads, hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings... etc. You'll be OK again before 2 weeks are up, promise ..
    I second this, I had it pretty bad last year. Stopped riding/ did physio for a month. No change.

Two days after using a roller I was back on the bike. I actually use an old Nalgene bottle instead of a foam roller though. It's alot harder and really loosens up my tendons. Good luck.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice.

Another friend told me that the running room right by my place sells foam rollers and another thing called "the stick" which i guess also works well for mayofascial release (which i've never heard of until today looking into this).

mtbr member
    I use my foam roller all the time. Check out bikejames.com http://www.bikejames.com/strength/foam-roller-demo/ for a foam roller demo and other great MTB fitness tips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I see a Chinese massage therapist for all my joint injuries. I rolled my ankle a week before my wedding and 3 days later I was walking without crutches limp free.

PM me if for his name. He's registered so your company health plan will cover it.

Physio did nothing for my lower back problems.. this guy fixed me up there too.

mtbr member
    I used the foam roller for the first time today. It hurt like hell. In fact it still hurts. Feels way worse now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yep, that`s how it goes. Stick with it for a few days. Soon it will start to feel good once you get over the initial bruising.

rides with camera
    Had knee problems a few years back , ended up going through physiotherapy and have been fine since . Back then I learned how valuable Stretching is.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I woke up this morning, after using the foam roller for the first time last night, and it felt like someone gave me a charlie horse by using the side of my leg as a punching bag. But I'll do it again tonight and keep doing my stretches. Because I really want to be better on Monday when i see my PT so she'll give me the ok to bike. If not I can't see her until the following monday.

I just don't want to miss out on fall riding. It's the best riding of the year.

mtbr member
    If your IT is that strssed perhaps a visit to the massage therapist to work the initial kinks out would be best and then do maintenance with the foam roller?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    .....But I'll do it again tonight......

I know it can be rough the first couple of times, but grind it out. I would do it 2-3 times daily.

Once in the morning before I went to work/school and once at night. Then if I was riding I would do it before.

Good luck.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Hey all !

Got out for the first dirty ride in over a year and the back did not fail me...

Part of that must stem from having a magic bike which is no longer all clean and shiny.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0