Riding in Edmonton - the Fall '09 thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton - the Fall '09 thread

Hey, it ain't tradition unless we get another thread going now that the other one is over 200 posts Besides, the days are getting shorter and cooler....
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I'm back from my crazy epic bike tour (as of last Monday).
    Just in time for the excellent fall riding season!

I'll have some photos up eventually, but the bike tour is a tale best told over frosty beverages after a ride.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ah yes, fall riding. I would have to say my favorite time of the year to ride.

Now I have to figure out how to sneak away from campus to get in a lunch hour ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm looking forward to it. This weather is amazing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you guys do group rides? Just starting MTBing and trying to push my hardtail to its limits (and myself)! Need to look for some trails around University area...

I too would like to try to sneak out between classes and go ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCYC5
    Do you guys do group rides? Just starting MTBing and trying to push my hardtail to its limits (and myself)! Need to look for some trails around University area...

I too would like to try to sneak out between classes and go ride!
    Closest trails to the university would definently be in the kinsmen/queen elizabeth area (I think that is what the ravine is called.. it's pretty much connected to the kinsmen area). There are some stairs at the top of Emily Murphy Hill right beside the tory turtle building that take you right into the kinsmen trails, you can also go down emily murphy hill and through the ravine that connects emily murphy park to kinsmen.

mtbr member
    We have tried to do group rides before with little success. That being said, with days getting shorter it gets harder and harder to get out mid-week. We can make another attempt at some group rides, if there is any interest.

I'll throw an idea out for this weekend - anyone who would like to go for a spin, feel free to come out. Sunday morning at 9:00 at the Kinsmen tennis courts parking lot. If anyone wants to go out on Saturday afternoon/evening, I could do that too.

*edit* I changed the days as my wife informed me that my Saturday morning is prebooked this week.
    Last edited by gord962; 09-15-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Double-metric mtb man
    I think that happens to a lot of us, Gord...pre-empted by the other half I can't usually make Sundays But I may be in the area on Saturday...likely be on the cross bike, though...it's a long haul from Millwoods on the fat rubber

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm down for Sunday if you guys won't mind a beginner coming along!

mtbr member
    Mike - I am in Mill Woods as well, so if you ever want to throw your bike on with me rather than commute to the trail, I don't mind at all. I know you like to log a lot of kms, but if there is a vehicle going that way already....

I usually ride at Strathcona Science Park on Saturday afternoon/evening as it is very quiet out there compared to any other river valley trail and allows you to open things up a bit more, but I am up for anything, really. As long as I am on single track I am happy!

JCYC5 - new riders are always welcome! The more the merrier!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I've been riding in laurier lately...Might check out kinsmen on sunday after work in the morning.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where do you ride in Laurier? I live fairly close, but the only trails I saw were in the dog park and they didn't look that good (well the ones I found atleast).

rides with camera
    Just got back from the best after work ride of the year . Riding is the best , as you can tell I`m stoked Gord I would like to meet up with you again . This weekend will be hard to figure out when cause I have my kids birthday . Saturday evening could work . what do you think about Ft Saskatchewan ?

The weekend after I`m off to western Colorado , Grand Junction , Fruita , Moab (Utah) and then were heading east to Vail, Breckenridge and then Denver for the cowboys Broncos game .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plastictrees
    Where do you ride in Laurier? I live fairly close, but the only trails I saw were in the dog park and they didn't look that good (well the ones I found atleast).

Watch for cutlines on main trails...Some of its pretty nice singletrack
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    Just got back from the best after work ride of the year . Riding is the best , as you can tell I`m stoked Gord I would like to meet up with you again . This weekend will be hard to figure out when cause I have my kids birthday . Saturday evening could work . what do you think about Ft Saskatchewan ?

The weekend after I`m off to western Colorado , Grand Junction , Fruita , Moab (Utah) and then were heading east to Vail, Breckenridge and then Denver for the cowboys Broncos game .
    I was thinking Ft. Sask would be good as I haven't been out there this year. I'm defintely down with that.
    To say I am jealous of your trip would be the understatement of the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Are we set on Sunday? I'd love to try elsewhere apart from river valley, but no vehicle makes things difficult!

mtbr member
    I will be there Sunday around 9:00. We can do a spin around the Kinsmen area, out to Ewok, in and out of Mill Creek and back through the Kinsmen area. It's about 20km of some of the best single track in the city.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's going to be sweet! I'm excited now!

mtbr member
    I'm going to see if I can make it Sunday 9am too. I don't know any of you, but I assume that one of you is named Gord

I'll be the guy on a white hardtail 29er circling the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    I'm going to see if I can make it Sunday 9am too. I don't know any of you, but I assume that one of you is named Gord

I'll be the guy on a white hardtail 29er circling the parking lot.
    The more the merrier and yes, my name is indeed Gord. I will be on a 26" fs Kona.

rides with camera
    Gord check your mail . By the way , your avatar ...........Terwilliger ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Gord check your mail . By the way , your avatar ...........Terwilliger ?
    Got it, thanks. Yes, the pic was taken at the perogy cup while descending the 'eroded hill'

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Brown Specialized Hardrock for me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like a fun ride, I would come but I am fairly sleep deprived this week and don't think I would be able to wake up in time haha. I will probally be at kinsmen on saturday afternoon though. If anyone is there and sees a guy on a red brodie hardtail say hi!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like a fun ride, I would come but I am fairly sleep deprived this week and don't think I would be able to wake up in time haha. I will probally be at kinsmen on saturday afternoon though. If anyone is there and sees a guy on a red brodie hardtail say hi!
    Also, does anyone know if there is somewhere around kinsmen where I can fill up my water so I don't have to carry a ton with me?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I would come sunday but I have work with my dad till noonish...And then homework...atleast the weather is calming down soon...I won't be sweating like a pig after an hour of easy singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good stuff out there. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

rides with camera
    Nice shots Val , I just ripped through there the other day .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the City removed all the water fountain taps on the outdoor drinking areas, other than the Hawerlak Park washroom (the tap on the side of the building). I would think that you could dart into the Kinsmen and use the washroom to fill up your bottle(s).

Nice pics!

Did Tewillerger this morning. 7-8:30am with a buddy of mine. Great riding and at that time, nobody else is on the trails so you can bomb them pretty fast.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Change of plans...I might be able to make it on sunday. If I do...I'll be wearing a white helmet, dakine pack and on a Blue F7

Double-metric mtb man
    I was out in Mill Creek this morning (11-ish) and was thinking of heading down towards Kinsmen, but I had my freehub fail (dangnabbitsonofafish!!!). Turned it around and limped it back to Millwoods At least it was the Cx bike (crummy little Tiagra hub) vs the Cake (with the Pro II).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My apologies guys!! Ran into some riders with trouble on the way down and had to stop and help them... arrived late! Hope your ride went well and we can do it again next week! Darn, was looking forward to it all week long...

mtbr member
    The ride was awesome - I just got back. A total of almost 4 hrs in the saddle!

mtbr member
    Scariest ride of the year for me. What is passe for Gord and Jay was out of my comfort zone. It's weird riding with your heart in your throat for two hours, but I was pretty stoked! Great ride and lots of new trails for me to go back to.

Will post back on next Saturday time and location for Twilleger!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was in kinsmen around noon/one'oclock and saw 3 guys at the top near the playground in the queen elizabeth area and was thinking it might be the guys from here? haha. Hopefully I will be able to go on the next ride.

The trails around kinsmen are in really nice condition right now, but I headed over to millcreek for a bit and everything seemed really muddy and eroded (maybe I just don't know where the good stuff is though).

Super windy today too eh?

mtbr member
    Scariest ride of the year for me. What is passe for Gord and Jay was out of my comfort zone. It's weird riding with your heart in your throat for two hours, but I was pretty stoked! Great ride and lots of new trails for me to go back to.

Will post back on next Saturday time and location for Twilleger!
    I was in the same boat when I tried all of those trails for the first time. Once you get down them 4 or 5 times and you will won't have any problems, or at least you will know where to expect the problems!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ARGHH! I'm bummed out I missed it! Might have been too scary for me as a total beginner though! Please do plan something for next Sunday, I'll most definitely come!

Wow - a weekend of learning plants in the bush is extremely interesting and thrilling in a different way than MTB. That was a good way to spend the weekend.

Anyways, I'm going for a ride after Critical Mass on Friday. Night riding should be fun .
    Location TBA - I will post it here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    Wow - a weekend of learning plants in the bush is extremely interesting and thrilling in a different way than MTB. That was a good way to spend the weekend.

Anyways, I'm going for a ride after Critical Mass on Friday. Night riding should be fun .
    Location TBA - I will post it here.
    I was just about to ask if you were a member of the University outdoors club, then I saw your sig! Haha. I didn't go on the trip but remembered seeing it on their site a while back.

Actually I just joined up on orientation and haven't been paying much attention since.. but I just went on their site and saw that they are having a mountain bike trip. Do you know how technically difficult it will be? Looks like it'll be fun, albeit probally a bit cold as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was looking at the trip too and wondering about it, but didn't see any info on it!

Should have joined up before the AGM!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was looking at the trip too and wondering about it, but didn't see any info on it!

Should have joined up before the AGM!
    It is up on the site now.

http://outdoorsclub.ca/events.php?di...ra=current#108

Unless this is a different one from the brochue.. I didn't go the meeting either.

mtbr member
    Gord, check your pm.

JCYC5 - plan on going in Twilleger Park Saturday 7am. The park's clear of dog walkers at that time so we can rip up the trails without too much caution for others around blind corners. There's a parking lot at the base of the lot, we could meet you there around 7:20am if you're able to make it.

Despite the fact that I have graduated and technically "moved on", I am still helping out with the Club as a trip leader as long as I have the free time. I'm not on the website now, and I prefer it that way .

So... that means I'm leading the bike trip! Sign-up in the office (Student's Union Building 6-16) if you want to come. Trip is capped at 10 people. You need to buy a membership ($10/student, $15/non-student) if you are not a member.

If you have a vehicle and bike you will be given priority over someone that has NO bike (i.e. many international students are trying to sign-up - they must find rentals/demo bikes IN EDMONTON for the weekend). Rentals in Jasper turn into a gong show. I'll check out the trip list when I step into the office today. We run a carpool out to Jasper - you pay the driver for gas.

We are going to ride some primo singletrack in Jasper on Saturday - Valley of the Five/Wabasso, Overlander/Athabasca River, OR Saturday Night Lake loop. Sunday will be more Jasper OR Hinton. I guarantee you it will be cold that weekend, if not on the trail then definitely in the campground at night. Weather can be rather unpredictable this time of year, but lower elevation trails can remain snow-free for quite some time.

P.M. me if you want more info. I guarantee it will be fun if the weather is nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    jkirkpatri - I wish I could come! Have to work that day unfortunately (I work at United Cycle!)

Excel - I really am interested in coming out to that! I have a couple buddies who also would like to, and they have a van that could probably work. All of us have bikes! Hope it doesn't fill up while they check their schedule to see if it could work! Do PM me more info though! Would we need to bring our own tents?

mtbr member
    Here is the plan for Sunday's ride - Fort Saskatchewan! As it's not something we can just commute to on our bikes, we can definately arrange some carpooling. I can comfortably fit 4 in my truck if anyone needs a lift. Where we carpool from will depend on who needs a ride and where in the city is central for those coming. If it's just 1 person, I could pick them up at their house. Let's try to be on the trail by 9:00 which would mean we need to leave Edmonton by no later than 8:30. Anyone who is driving themselves, meet by the tennis courts at Turner Park in Ft. Sask. Anyone interested? We need to know by Thursday so carpooling can be arranged.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I frankensteined my F8 pretty much at lunch...Ghetto SS(Hope the chain doesn't snap from too much tension), Brakeless because tektro discs were warped...

Tho when I have the funds, I'll be getting a Back wheel for $120ish, an SS kit for $15ish and a set of bb7's.

Btw...Since the winter riding season is getting closer...Are schwalbe Ice spikers @ MEC worth the investment?

mtbr member
    Can't make it. Wife has other plans for me. She says I'll have to ride with my "new internet friends" another time.

Sorry, but I can only make Saturday.
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 09-21-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Ft. Sask hell ya. I'm on the northside and I can drive myself. I be there.

Outdoors Club trip status: full as of tonight, HOWEVER there are many people that need to try to rent bikes in Edmonton (damn international students). If that all falls through more space will open up. I will start to deal with that tomorrow. Also, I may need another driver to make the trip work.

For anyone that is interested: the Club can rent you camping gear if you have a membership ($20 deposit & credit card info req'd per item). If you are worried about cold fall camping, layer up inside your sleeping bag (toques, long underwear, gloves etc.) and you can always sleep in the car if it snows really hard (2 years ago... ).

Ultimately, if you ARE interested please come to the office and put your name down on the waiting list. I will try to accommodate. If there are additional people on the waiting list this is a good thing in case I need drivers or a spot opens up last minute.

This trip is weather dependent.

Cheers!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I officially love frankenstein. So light and climbs like a mountain goat. Though once I get the funds...I'll set it up as a legit ss with 32/16 gearing. xD. And don't worry guys, I'll be putting a set of bb7s on it or something lighter...I think I'm becoming a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ahh, hopefully those international students can't find something to rent! I looked at the office hours and nothing works for me tommorow, so I will come sign up on wednesday most likely.

I would be interested in going to Fort Saskatchewan as well, I would need a ride though.
    Is the riding suitable for beginners?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    .I think I'm becoming a weight weenie.
    Don't do it. It's expensive.

But it's fun. I WW'd out my Trance X and I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Speaking of which...... I went out for a ride this morning, and the trails in the fall + cool/crisp morning air are amazing.

mtbr member
    I would be interested in going to Fort Saskatchewan as well, I would need a ride though.
    Is the riding suitable for beginners?
    I rode Ft. SK as a VERY beginner last year, well rode some and walked some. It will definitely be a good measuring stick of where you are and what you need to work on. You might jus surprise yourself!

I need to know what area/neighborhood of the city you are in to get an idea of how to best arrange rides.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    Don't do it. It's expensive.

But it's fun. I WW'd out my Trance X and I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Speaking of which...... I went out for a ride this morning, and the trails in the fall + cool/crisp morning air are amazing.

Of course its expensive...When I said weight weenie, I meant having the bare minimum on the bike. Such as some sort of brake(s), SS, Rigid. My ideal bike. Edit:Reason why an SS rigid is the ideal bike for me...Less stuff to break.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Upset the trip is full

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    I rode Ft. SK as a VERY beginner last year, well rode some and walked some. It will definitely be a good measuring stick of where you are and what you need to work on. You might jus surprise yourself!

I need to know what area/neighborhood of the city you are in to get an idea of how to best arrange rides.
    I am in the west end, somewhat close to west edmonton mall. I can get to the downtown or university areas fairly easily from my house if that would help simplify things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gord - I may or may not be able to get a ride to Ft. Sask. If not, would you have space for 2 from University?

Double-metric mtb man
    Hmmm...I'd love to hook up, but Sat I'm either volunteering at School of Cross (Cx race) or I'm going to an RCC orientation with a team member to try to do some recruiting.

Hmm...hopefully I get that wheel back early this week....I have a hunkering to see all the ST I had to skip on last Saturday when the Tiagra tapped out on the Cx bike. <- Yeah, I know, I've gone rigid and semi-weight weenie with that bike, but it is the best choice when I ride up from SE Edmonton to the trails and have to ride back afterwards.

mtbr member
    If Gord makes it Saturday, that'll be four confirmed riders for Terwilliger. Anybody else who can make it for a 7am start, PM me and I'll give you the address of my friend's place from where we will depart.

It'll still be light out by the time we leave, so don't worry about lights.

mtbr member
    Gord - I may or may not be able to get a ride to Ft. Sask. If not, would you have space for 2 from University?
    I think I can fit you in if you need a ride. As I said my truck holds 4 comfortably, but 5 can fit in the cab. Right now we have myself + my buddy who is a bit west of downtown + plastictrees from the west end + possibly JCYC5 + 1 From the University = 5. If you can't find a ride the guys in the back seat might be a little cramped, but chances are someone will have to change plans before Sunday rolls around. Bikes will be a bit cramped in the box as well, but I can get it all to fit.

Based on locations, I think if we meet at the Kinsmen around 8:15 we should be able to make Ft. SK by 9:00. Let's plan for the parking lot by the tennis courts as it's not busy and easier to spot people. That gives time to load bikes and gear and head out by 8:30. If you aren't there by the time all the bikes are loaded and everyone is in, you get left behind! If your plans change and can no longer make it, please post. If anyone else wants to join and needs a ride, post it so we can see if we can arrange something for you.

mtbr member
    If Gord makes it Saturday, that'll be four confirmed riders for Terwilliger. Anybody else who can make it for a 7am start, PM me and I'll give you the address of my friend's place from where we will depart.

It'll still be light out by the time we leave, so don't worry about lights.
    I see no reason why I can't make it, other than no being able to drag my ass out of bed in time!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Okay, that was some scary f*cking ****. Decided to take a ride through mackinnon. Stopped at the top of one of the hills and a guy in a black hoodie and jeans came out and threatened to stab me if I didn't give him my bike. Good thing that old couple came walking up the hill which scared him back to the bushes. I don't think I've ran and ridden a bike that fast.

Called the complaint line and I'll probably be speaking to someone today about it.

And I should go get a new phone seeing as I lost my old one earlier in that ride...Atleast the contract runs out today....All in all...I'm not going in mackinnon anymore in the mornings.

mtbr member
    That's not good. You should come out on Saturday am to erase this memory. I've been approached by older guys (you know what I mean) in that ravine, but never been mugged.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    That's not good. You should come out on Saturday am to erase this memory. I've been approached by older guys (you know what I mean) in that ravine, but never been mugged.
    I'll try to make it...I need to find a ride. I'll talk to my dad and see if he can give me a ride early. He has to go out that morning anyways for a work meeting at 8 or 9. I will more than likely be on the blue F7 rather than my F8 as it's geared, meatier tires and brakes.

But yeah, I'll try to make it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Kinsmen sounds good. I'll be on either a red or a brownish colour brodie, probally the brownish one though.

rides with camera
    Zadey , where exactly did that happen ? That`s pretty f`d up .What time in the morning ? He probably picked you cause you are pretty young , what a fu#king coward ! I hate giant douchebags like that . I hope he gets what`s coming to him .

Anyways ....................3 days till Colorado .............WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP
    I`ll have to get together for one of the group rides when I get back , I can`t believe how active this forum is , and it`s late September ! ......................Wow .

Have fun in Ft Saskatchewan and watch out for the killer bike attacking beavers ! Them bastards are dangerous !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Zadey , where exactly did that happen ? That`s pretty f`d up .What time in the morning ? He probably picked you cause you are pretty young , what a fu#king coward ! I hate giant douchebags like that . I hope he gets what`s coming to him .

Anyways ....................3 days till Colorado .............WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP
    I`ll have to get together for one of the group rides when I get back , I can`t believe how active this forum is , and it`s late September ! ......................Wow .

Have fun in Ft Saskatchewan and watch out for the killer bike attacking beavers ! Them bastards are dangerous !
    Happened in mackinnon ravine at about 8:30am. I booked it out of there so fast its not even funny. Policed were called and an couple officers went and looked in the area.

My parents still don't get why it didn't scare my bike love out of me. Its going to take more than an encounter to make me stop...well, I don't think anything could make me stop riding. Its too much fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    gord - I'm in for Sunday, +1 or maybe +2. From what it seems like so far, might have a car for that. May or may not want to meet up with you at Kinsmen just to made sure we don't get lost, but we shall see, and I'll let you know when I have a better idea! But definitely count me and one of my buddies in. We're both beginners!

excel - signed up for the outdoors club trip today, fingers crossed spots open up!

sherijumper - you have no idea how jealous I am, especially with the amount of school work that's bogging me down now! Argh!! Have fun and share photos and stories when you're back!

zadey - That's crazy. Hope they catch him and thank goodness you're alright!

mtbr member
    gord - I'm in for Sunday, +1 or maybe +2. From what it seems like so far, might have a car for that. May or may not want to meet up with you at Kinsmen just to made sure we don't get lost, but we shall see, and I'll let you know when I have a better idea! But definitely count me and one of my buddies in. We're both beginners!
    Sure, we can do that. When you say 'beginners' can you tell me how much experience you have? Years riding, type of terrain, etc. FYI, Ft Sask is an advanced/expert trail and about 16 kms out and back. There is a paved trail that runs parallel if the trail is too much. It will probably be a fast paced ride but we won't leave you behind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Only started seriously riding this year. Had bikes before, but never took it to technical areas. I've been riding some single tracks here, notably the one that runs down alongside Groat road, but nothing too technical yet!

mtbr member
    wow I haven't check this site for a while. I quit my job and just started school and i'm [email protected]#king busy!!! Oh and my car died so i've been trying to fix that with what little free time i have.

I'd like to go on the ride on sunday if i can find the time. I have a few assignments due next week so i'll see how many I get done.

I'll also through this out there although i know it's pretty late. Some friends and I meet at redbike almost every friday at 10 for a night ride. Last week we rode from 10 until 12:45. It's a good time. I think it's all weird this week because they want to ride after Critical Mass so i don't know what's going on. But pretty much guaranteed if it isn't pouring we'll be riding next friday at 10ish.

JCYC5 - I live by the university. I live right by kinsmen. You can send me a private message sometime and we can arrange to meet up someday and i can show you all the good singletrack around here. I know most of the trails around here and in mill creek pretty well because i live here and it's what I ride when i'm short on time (if i have more time i'll head to other areas of the city or load my bike and drive to terwilliger). I'm pretty busy right now but I always find time for a bike ride. It might be a short 1 hour tour but if you're interested pm me and we can meet at kinsmen and i can show you around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dana - That would be sweet! Just have to work out some time that works for the both of us! 6 classes, running a lab, working... doesn't leave much time unfortunately!

I would have loved to join your night ride this Friday! It would have been perfect since I get off work at 9:30 and I'm dying to test out a new light I just got!

mtbr member
    Only started seriously riding this year. Had bikes before, but never took it to technical areas. I've been riding some single tracks here, notably the one that runs down alongside Groat road, but nothing too technical yet!
    Okay, you should be okay. There may be sections you need to walk but you can probably ride 80%+ of the trail.

mtbr member
    Okay, you should be okay. There may be sections you need to walk but you can probably ride 80%+ of the trail.
    What Gord really means, is that you can ride 80% of the trail, but your knuckles will be white due to your death grip on your bars, you'll be saying, "oh ****! oh ****! oh ****! to yourself about 70% of the time, and you'll learn how to unclip faster than you've ever unclipped before!

In other words, you'll have a blast! Too bad I'm going to miss out.

mtbr member
    Saturday's Terwilliger ride has been delayed to start at 7:30am due to sun contstraints at 7am. So far there is four confirmed riders. If you can make it, send me a PM and I'll give you the address of my friend's place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109
    I'll also through this out there although i know it's pretty late. Some friends and I meet at redbike almost every friday at 10 for a night ride. Last week we rode from 10 until 12:45. It's a good time. I think it's all weird this week because they want to ride after Critical Mass so i don't know what's going on. But pretty much guaranteed if it isn't pouring we'll be riding next friday at 10ish.
    Average difficulty of the trails that you guys ride?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Saturday's Terwilliger ride has been delayed to start at 7:30am due to sun contstraints at 7am. So far there is four confirmed riders. If you can make it, send me a PM and I'll give you the address of my friend's place.
    Still not sure if my dad can/wants to give me a ride that early, I'll try to make it though

mtbr member
    Average difficulty of the trails that you guys ride?
    we usually ride most anything in the river valley. most of us who meet ride and some of us race cross country. So it's cross country stuff. No drop or jumps. If you are new some of it will be challenging but you can just walk something if you don't feel comfortable.

mtbr member
    we usually ride most anything in the river valley. most of us who meet ride and some of us race cross country. So it's cross country stuff. No drop or jumps. If you are new some of it will be challenging but you can just walk something if you don't feel comfortable.
    I might be able to swing by sometime this autumn and try it out. Not this Friday, though. I'll post to confirm for any future Friday night rides. Sounds pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dana - That would be sweet! Just have to work out some time that works for the both of us! 6 classes, running a lab, working... doesn't leave much time unfortunately!

I would have loved to join your night ride this Friday! It would have been perfect since I get off work at 9:30 and I'm dying to test out a new light I just got!
    I know what you mean. I am only in 4 classes. But in my graduate program 4 classes take pretty much all of my time. I don't have a lot of class time but a lot of other work and projects. Fortunately I can work around it because I only have class on tuesdays, wednesdays and fridays. So i can make time on a monday, thursday, saturday, or sunday. I can usually afford an hour or two in the evening and just do more work earlier that day or later that evening. As long as it isn't on a tuesday, or wednesday i might be able to make it work.

mtbr member
    I might be able to swing by sometime this autumn and try it out. Not this Friday, though. I'll post to confirm for any future Friday night rides. Sounds pretty cool.
    ya i don't know what is happening on this friday but i'll post more info about next friday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I know what you mean. I am only in 4 classes. But in my graduate program 4 classes take pretty much all of my time. I
    What program?

I know what you mean, those 4 classes seem to take more time than 6 undergrad courses.

I am finishing 1 class that I chickened out on last fall. I am trying to get in some rides during the week around lunch between classes, just 1.5 to 2 hrs of hard (to me) riding.

But just wait until you have kids, then it will seem like you had all the time in the world
    With newborn twins and and a 2.5 y.o., I have to make the most of every free second

mtbr member
    I'm doing a Masters of Library and Information Studies.

Fortunately my wife and I don't want kids and don't plan on having kids. But who knows. Things change. I doubt it though. I've never liked kids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've never liked kids.
    Fair enough, but I have to warn you, that's exactly what I said when I was 25

I have to say that while I've had some pretty neat life experiences, I would trade them all in in a heartbeat for my kids. Nothing I have experienced can match the joy that my 2.5 y.o. brings me.

But the sleepless nights really do suck

mtbr member
    Everyone told me that when i was 25. Now i'm 29 and I still never want kids. I don't know when it's going to change. Everyone keeps telling me it will.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ah, I see....I'm 31 now and let's just say that while I love my kids to no end, I had a vasectomy given to me for my 31st birthday, haha.

Well then kids just might not be for you. I would have to disagree with 'everyone' when they say it will change, some times it doesn't.......which means more time for biking

So you ride for pedalhead? I've bought a couple of bikes there, nice place and good guys. I keep meaning to go out on a group ride, but it's tough for me to get out at 6.........

I'd love to get into the racing scene.....maybe next year when things settle down a bit...

mtbr member
    It was my oldest son (now 11) who got me into mountain biking 2 years ago when I was 30. He lives with his mother on Vancouver Island but when I have him for the summer all we do is ride our bikes. He is now capable of riding some very technical trails and in the next 3 years it will probably be me trying to keep up with him. My youngest is 2 and a bit and he wants to ride all the time on his run bike. He has no fear and has amazing balance and handling skills for being so young. I took him out to SSP and people couldn't believe he was getting around on the ST out there on a run bike. It's great that they want to be biking all the time as it gives me an excuse to be out all the time.

I have a BSc. in Mechanical Engineering and I spent the day at the career fair in the Butterdome - what a zoo! I don't really feel like settling down yet, but I want to start a meaningful career.

Watch for my cynical opinion on the job market on CBC Evening News tonight, sometime between 5 - 6pm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Watch for my cynical opinion on the job market
    That's why after my M.Sc. I'll stay and do a Ph.D.

I'm never leaving school

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    After my BSc Spec. Psych, I'm in for a MSc...

mtbr member
    After my B.A. in Classics and my M.A. in religious studies I worked for 5 years and the realized i hated my job so now i'm doing an MLIS

mtbr member
    I'm working towards my CGA designation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It turns out I can not come out on Sunday

Unfortunately I have to go out for brunch with family! Atleast I found out now instead of at last minute.

Hopefully there is another group ride the week after.. I definently want to go on one!

I know there is another group ride at terwillegar on saturday morning, but since I won't be able to ride on sunday I will probally be going for a ride on Saturday (and I can't get to terwillegar.. especially that early!), so if anyone wants to go ride in kinsmen or millcreek shoot me a PM. I'll probally be going late afternoon.

mtbr member
    Hopefully there is another group ride the week after.. I definently want to go on one!
    As long as there is interest we will probably keep these going until the snow flies.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I might not be able to make it saturday either after tonight...Parents are(well my mom is) that I didn't get home till 9...And I left before 6....I seriously need to buy/make some lights...Riding in the dark after what happened yesterday is scary as sh*t

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Confirm me +1 for Sunday Gord!

If you are still coming to Uni, we could follow you to Ft. Sask, otherwise an address for meeting point (could google map the route) would be awesome!

*excited*

mtbr member

mtbr member
    My two friends and I will be continuing to do Terwilliger on Saturday mornings until the snow flies. The start time will be pushed back accordingly as the sun rises later in the morning as we progress through October. Anybody's welcome to join us.

mtbr member
    Confirm me +1 for Sunday Gord!

If you are still coming to Uni, we could follow you to Ft. Sask, otherwise an address for meeting point (could google map the route) would be awesome!

*excited*
    We will be starting from the tennis courts in Turner Park in Ft. SK. You can map Turner Park on google. It's quite simple to find.
    Both people that might be coming with me can't confirm until Friday, so I don't know if I am going to be going through the University area or not. I will update as the time nears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just flipping through channels and CBC has a documentary about cycling. You can read more about it at http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/docz...wer/index.html
    In Canada, bicycles "don't get no respect." From the story of Igor, and the anatomy of the underground world of bike peddlers in Toronto, this film spins out to how other cities are making riding safe. Using innovative "bike-cam" techniques to convey, up-close, the sensation of bike riding, a series of character-driven mini-narratives propel the film through a study of what makes a city "bikeable". Whether it's the public bike program in Paris, bike mega-garages in Amsterdam, bike paths in Vancouver and Montreal, or the surprising leadership of New York City, we follow the story of this remarkable little conveyance as it wheels though the first decade of the 21st century.

It airs again Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon on CBC and Newsworld - http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/pedal-power/EP01183195

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dana - Let me know when you know about tomorrow's (Friday) night ride time! Hopefully I can catch you guys after work!

mtbr member

Ride report

Did two rides this week, the latest was last night. First ride was nothing memorable.

Second ride was a with a friend of mine. He rides a single speed Rocky Mountain 29er so he had to walk uphill on some parts. Basically, we did the same loop that Gord took me on last weekend, except the suicidal river bank run just east of the Kinsmen.

The good - did it all with only two foot dabs. The better - did the super steep climb that is root infested just on the east side of the Walter Dale bridge. Gord, it's the one where Jay made it half way, I think you made it, and I said f that. Anyways, there was a group of 11-13 years olds out with their coach and one 11 year old made it up the hill. I figured if he could do it, then I HAD to do it. So I pedaled hard and you know what? - Those 29er wheels floated me right over the roots. Point and shoot and next thing you know, I'm at the top thinking, That Was Easy.

Later on we ended up in the Mill Creek. Dusk to dark conditions, no lights. Guess what? The other 15 or so riders we met down there had no lights either. It was a freakin' traffic jam in the Creek! Good times, though. Hooked up with a night ride group for about 15 minutes through the ravine. 30-40 year olds. They meet at the Kinsmen at 6:30pm on Thursdays. They said they're open to any drop-ins as they are not an official group or anything. Next Thursday I'm going to ride with them. My Geoman Magicshine helmet mounts should be here tomorrow or early next week so I'm good to go.

Ride was about two hours. Had lots of fun. Still a bit scary for me in some sections, but cleaned almost all of it.

Saturday morning at 7:30am is still on at Terwilliger. PM if you need my friend's address where we'll be leaving from, or you can meet us in the parking lot at 7:45amish.
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 09-25-2009 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    The better - did the super steep climb that is root infested just on the east side of the Walter Dale bridge. Gord, it's the one where Jay made it half way, I think you made it, and I said f that. Anyways, there was a group of 11-13 years olds out with their coach and one 11 year old made it up the hill. I figured if he could do it, then I HAD to do it. So I pedaled hard and you know what? - Those 29er wheels floated me right over the roots. Point and shoot and next thing you know, I'm at the top thinking, That Was Easy.
    My 29er climbs soooo much better than my 26". There are sections I clean without much trouble on my 29er that I get really close to making on my 26" but just can't complete. Hopefully the rebuild parts for my fork get in soon so I can get back on it next weekend (SRAM doesn't know the difference between parts on their 29er forks vs their 26" forks. ) It has been 3 weeks now since I have spun my big wheels!

mtbr member
    What fork is your Merlin running? RVS didn't carry a rebuild kit in stock?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Whats with this law on how you get fined for riding a bike on sidewalks downtown? I was going to ride down to the HSBC building for school(ADLC office is in the building) but my mom told me its like a $100-200 fine if your caught...

I'm a little leary about riding on edmonton's roads downtown but I guess I'm going to have to adapt to it.

mtbr member
    What fork is your Merlin running? RVS didn't carry a rebuild kit in stock?
    My Marin just has a pogo stick, er... Dart3 on it. RVC has a ton of kits for 26" but not 29ers. The distributers are arguing with the guys at RVC that the parts are the same for 26" and 29" fork. Meanwhile, RVC has my 29er cartridge and a 26" fork cartridge in their hands and it is quite clear the 29er cartridge is longer, obviously.
    I will probably replace the fork in mid-late 2010 so I really don't need the rebuild as it is only keeping my lock out and rebound control from working. But at the same time, SRAM put out a piss-poor product so I want it fixed on their dime.

mtbr member
    Whats with this law on how you get fined for riding a bike on sidewalks downtown? I was going to ride down to the HSBC building for school(ADLC office is in the building) but my mom told me its like a $100-200 fine if your caught...

I'm a little leary about riding on edmonton's roads downtown but I guess I'm going to have to adapt to it.
    That fine amount sounds about right. For downtown riding, I'd ride on the street given that the speeds the motorists go (especially in rush hour) is not that high. If the courier dudes can do it, so can you!

mtbr member
    I will probably replace the fork in mid-late 2010 so I really don't need the rebuild as it is only keeping my lock out and rebound control from working. But at the same time, SRAM put out a piss-poor product so I want it fixed on their dime.
    There might be some good clearance sales on 2009 forks online this winter. 2009 REBA would be good. I'd stay away from the 2008 REBAS (currently on sale) from what I read on the forums. But at these prices, it might be best to just get a new bike, obviously a 29er. Maybe do a Hei Hei next year with a trade in on your two bikes to reduce the cost, plus any RVS discount you can swing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You guys are making me want a 29er. I probably will get one next year when I outgrow this hardrock of mine...

mtbr member
    Good choice. Since you're with Specialized already, you could go to their 29er lineup. I'm not sure if United will carry, but they should as the 2010 model lineup has expanded quite a bit.

You should try a Gary Fisher too. Different geometries have a big impact. It's all personal preference. If you want to try a GF, Hardcore on Whyte carries them, as does Mud Sweat and Gears in Sherwood Park and Cranky's in St. Albert.

If you're doing hardtail, I think that 29er is the only way to go. Even my wife who's 5'6" rides a 29er and won't go back to a 26. Lots of info in the 29er forum for you to review this winter if you're serious.

mtbr member

bikes are vehicles.

you should also note that if you drunk and riding your bike on the road you can get a dui since you are operating a vehicle on the road. But if you drunk and riding your bike on the sidewalk you will only get fined for riding on the sidewalk. It's an odd law.

but it's a privilege we don't want to lose. Bikes should be considered vehicles. The only alternative is to not be allowed on roads. Plus if i feel like going fast i can get my bike going 35-40 km/hr and more on a downhill. That isn't safe on the sidewalk.

mtbr member
    You guys are making me want a 29er. I probably will get one next year when I outgrow this hardrock of mine...
    If you are wanting to do some research I can send you all the links i have. There is a lot of good information out there but it can be difficult to find.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention - even though there are a lot of advantages to rolling bigger wheels, there are disadvantages as well. Right now, price is the biggest disadvantage, followed closely by the lack of variety in 29er components. Keep in mind that these are starting to come a bit closer together but it's still a long way apart. For what you get in a 29" bike at a certain price point, you get a LOT more for the same money in a bike with 26" wheels. There is also a bit of reduced handling in tight corners as well as the weight factor, biggest being rotational weight. All that being said, the advantages outweigh the negatives, for me at least...

Looking at the 2010 line ups, the 29er is more than just a fad (but don't try to tell Europe that!) From what I have read lately from the Trek/GF rumour mills, the Trek brand will not be entering the 29er market and the GF brand could be going 100% 29er.

Feedback from Interbike says that the GF Superfly 100 is great, but the Santa Cruz Talboy edged it out as the best FS Carbon 29er at the show.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Links would be awesome! Always good to do some reading to know more...

I'd be limited to the bike brands that United carries - why? I get staff price on them! So price isn't the biggest concern at this point...

I don't think UC carries GF? Specialized might be the only way for me to go, and I'd probably be looking at the 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29.

mtbr member
    Looking at the 2010 line ups, the 29er is more than just a fad (but don't try to tell Europe that!) From what I have read lately from the Trek/GF rumour mills, the Trek brand will not be entering the 29er market and the GF brand could be going 100% 29er.
    Yep, you'll see GF go solely 29er in a couple of years, I bet. They dropped the 26" HiFi line for 2010 and the Roscoe is next!

I find the rotational weight to be good. It keeps your speed up easier, and "pulls" the bike through the rough stuff. The decrease acceleration over a 26 inch wheel is minimal for a body type like me (240lbs), so I don't notice that at all. Probably the lighter you are, the more you would notice the slower accelaration. Having said that, I don't see too many guys on their bikes drag stripping these days so I think it's all moot anyways.

I prefer aluminum myself, so that rules out the SC Tallboy and Superfly. If I was looking to buy new, I'd try Gary Fisher, Specialized, and Kona, based on the availability here in Edmonton. SC is too expensive with their only option right now - Tall Boy. Between those three brands, I'm sure you could find out enough to tell you if 29er is the way to go, and if so, if you hate/love the Fisher G2 geometry (I love it, but others hate it). I'd probably take Specialized over Kona, but that's just because Specialized has so many 29er options coming out for the 2010 models.

The biggest pain, I think, is wheelsets, forks, and tires. Forks are pretty good - Fox and RS, but Fox is lacking a 20mm option and the Fox 15mm requires different hubs. Tires are not as plentiful in selection, but there's a fair number avaialbe with one member keeping updates on real life weights. All else is equal, shifters are shifters, brakes are brakes, etc. The wheels I'm not familiar with as the Bonti's that came with my bike are good for me so far.

mtbr member
    I'd be limited to the bike brands that United carries - why? I get staff price on them! So price isn't the biggest concern at this point...

I don't think UC carries GF? Specialized might be the only way for me to go, and I'd probably be looking at the 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29.
    Yep, as a TREK dealer you wont' see GF at United. With the discount, Specialized should be good for you, but I'd still test ride a G2 setup from Fisher!

If your discount is 10% of off retail, you should be able to swing that same deal at other LBS, just as a regular customer (if you try hard enough and pay cash). Just saying is all.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't ever buy a bike from united but that's just me. I've never had anyone give me good help or service there.

mtbr member
    United was pretty good, I think, about 5-6 years ago. There was a mechanic there, I think his name was Tim, mustache guy, really nice and sincere. Couple of the sales staff left, the entire service department was overhauled (I think), and yeah, I agree, service there stinks.

Revoluation Cycle also carries Specialized.

mtbr member
    There might be some good clearance sales on 2009 forks online this winter. 2009 REBA would be good. I'd stay away from the 2008 REBAS (currently on sale) from what I read on the forums. But at these prices, it might be best to just get a new bike, obviously a 29er. Maybe do a Hei Hei next year with a trade in on your two bikes to reduce the cost, plus any RVS discount you can swing?
    That's exactly the fork I have been eyeing up.

The plan is to get into a RM Vertex 29er, but with the prices they came out with for their 2010s I will be waiting another year.

With the pounding I put on my bikes, I need to run two bikes so I have something to ride while the other is in the shop.

mtbr member
    i buy things at united because they are a big store and they have sales. But if i ever go i have to be 100% sure of exactly what i want. Because only 1 time have i found a person who knew anything. One time I was looking for an extra strap for a pair of SIDI shoes i bought there a while back and I talked to 4 people before i found someone who had ever heard of SIDI. So i never go there anymore.

They seem to hire a lot of younger high school students who don't know a ton about bikes. I prefer the specialty stores (pedalhead, redbike, hardcore) where all the guys there race and they all know everything about the products they sell.

I guess i should stop slandering united. I'm just had a few bad experiences there.

mtbr member
    Links would be awesome! Always good to do some reading to know more...
    I'll try to put some up tonight

But you would also get the same discount on a 26" bike, doesn't make the 29er less expensive, comparatively

mtbr member
    I'm with you on that one, Dana. It feels like walking into Walmart and asking the kid popping his zits at the electronics counter what the difference is between plasma and LCD TVs.
    That's the biggest reason I shop at RVC - they all race, or have raced at one point, and they know their gear that they sell, stand behind it and USE it themselves. They also won't let me buy something that doesn't suit my needs just to make a sale. The stores Dana mentioned are also very good.
    Last edited by gord962; 09-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I went for a nice 3 hour ride today. The river valley looks really beautiful with the fall colours right now. I ended up stumbling upon two bikes with trailers covered in plastic in the middle of one of the trails in kinsmen.. bit of a weird site. Good ride though.

Also, I was wondering if there is anywhere in the city that offers some sort of clinic that teaches you bike maintenance/repairs and isn't too expensive? I don't even know how to change a tube if I get a flat!

mtbr member
    i think MEC teaches a basic maintenance course.

Changing a tube is pretty self explanatory though. Empty as much air as you can out of hte tube if it isn't totally flat. Take 1 side of the tire off the rim (although you'll need to get a good set of tire levers). Remove the tube. put a new tube in, and put the tire back on the rim. Then fully inflate to your desired pressure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That sounds easy enough. So I would need a mini bike pump and a tire lever then?

I found this site and they seem to offer weekly basic maintenance courses for only $10 or free with a $30 membership.
    http://edmontonbikes.ca/home/index/

mtbr member
    A few of the bike shops in town put on basic maintenance clinics during the winter. They cover how to change a tube, adjust fd and rd, truing your wheels, fixing a chain, adjusting brakes and a few other basics.

mtbr member
    you would need either a pump or co2. Levers are quite inexpensive and a good idea for the inexperienced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Excited for tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gord - Just to confirm, 0900 at tennis courts?

mtbr member
    yes 9:00 am it is. There should be 5 of us, by my count.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    See you there!

mtbr member
    I'm real sorry for ditch you guys. We felt bad. There must have been some confusion. I thought you guys had waited for us and when you weren't at the intersection Gord and I thought maybe you started heading back to the vehicles thinking we'd catch you eventually. Then after 10 minutes we didn't see you so we stopped and waited, and I went back and I still didn't see you guys. We didn't know where you guys were so we went back to the cars. We wanted to wait or go back to make sure you were ok but I have a paper due tuesday so I'm really sorry for ditching you guys. I hope you got back safe.

mtbr member
    I'm real sorry for ditch you guys. We felt bad. There must have been some confusion. I thought you guys had waited for us and when you weren't at the intersection Gord and I thought maybe you started heading back to the vehicles thinking we'd catch you eventually. Then after 10 minutes we didn't see you so we stopped and waited, and I went back and I still didn't see you guys. We didn't know where you guys were so we went back to the cars. We wanted to wait or go back to make sure you were ok but I have a paper due tuesday so I'm really sorry for ditching you guys. I hope you got back safe.
    Same here. I feel really bad as there was a miscommunication somewhere. I hope the trip back was safe!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry we made you guys wait! We went back to the crossroads and waited there for a while, didn't see you guys so we figured you went back!

Got home perfectly fine!

Thanks for the awesome morning guys! It was so sweet out there! I'm so pumped up right now I could go back and do it all again!

We just feel real bad about making you guys wait for us so often!

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I rode down to the School of Cross yesterday...first tme I ever saw a Cx race. Interesting, very interesting.

I hope everyone had good rides this weekend...starting to get *that* chill in the air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sore all over!

Did a nice over-the-handle bar kinda flip

mtbr member
    Sorry we made you guys wait! We went back to the crossroads and waited there for a while, didn't see you guys so we figured you went back!

Got home perfectly fine!

Thanks for the awesome morning guys! It was so sweet out there! I'm so pumped up right now I could go back and do it all again!

We just feel real bad about making you guys wait for us so often!
    Did you do the loop ALL the way back??

Glad to hear you made it back okay and that you had a good ride. We had no idea if you were ahead or behind us with all the trips we made doing trails the other direction. I though you were waiting for us and when we got back to where we doubled back and you weren't there we thought you headed back to get a head start on us. Our fault. Sorry!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We were waiting for a while where we had waited the first time while you guys went off on the trail that we can in on! (Whoa, that was a mouthful)!

Rode back the way we came - felt great that I was able to climb that steep bit that I flipped over on!

I still have a huge smile on my face. Thanks again for the awesome morning Gord and Dana!

rides with camera
    Had some time so I thought I would "log in" . I`m in Grand Junction now , we rode Vail , Glenwood (scout trail...............unbelievable) and Grand Junction . The trails in Grand Junction are unbelievable as well , riding through desert type terrain with razorback rocks and some scary insane drops ( thank god I brought the mojo) . Today we are going to Fruita , tomorrow Moab , we might hit Aspen on our way back to Denver . I have lots of pictures but I know they won`t do this place justice .

I know this word is overused but this place is epic ...............Cheers
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Saturday morning's ride was great. About 2.5 hours in Terwilleger and close to 38km when we were all done. Thanks to Gord for showing us all the stuff we've missed on prior outings. The highlight was definately the bowl jumps.

Next Saturday is scheduled to start at 7:15am. Anybody interested PM and I'll pass along the address of where we depart from.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=JCYC5]Rode back the way we came - felt great that I was able to climb that steep bit that I flipped over on![QUOTE]

That's cool that you had an OTB experience and were able to shake it off! It's always cool when you get airborne (without the bike) and can laugh it off. Too bad I had to miss out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I miss the nice weather now Windy and cold! Bleh.

I biked over to that place that offers maintenance classes, but was unable to find it, did a couple loops around the entire block too.

I think I am just going to try and teach myself based off youtube videos/ whatever else I find on the net. I have an old cheap walmart bike that I am going to start screwing around with and then will do some stuff with my own bike once I am a little more comfortable. Anyone know what sort of tools I will need? Will I be fine with just the normal everyday type tools or are there some bike specific tools I might need?

mtbr member
    Not sure about the tools, but if you're talking about the Edmonton Commuter bike club thing for the fre classes, it's just off Whtye but down a back alley. There's no visible entrance from the street, you actually have to go down the back alley.

RVS has some winter courses that Scott runs (I think that's his name). I did it last year and I thought it was pretty good.

If it was me, I'd just youtube it given that you already have the donor bike to play with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah it was the Edmonton Bike Commuter thing, I went down to where it said and through the back alleys but couldn't find anything. The last class is tommorow and I have a long day of classes tommorow as well, so I think I might just pass over it. I'm trying to adjust my brakes right now based off a youtube vid, wish me luck!

And what does RVS stand for?

mtbr member
    RVS = River Valley Cycle. You'll be fine with Youtube

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well that went fairly well! I ended up adjusting the v-brakes on my mountain bike instead of on the walmart bike, because I have been having some problems with them rubbing the wheel. I pretty much took the entire brakes apart and back together and had gotten some of it away, but it was still there, so I had to reduce the tension on the cable and now it is gone. I have less braking power, but it is my back wheel and I think I was braking too hard on the back anyways, so I figure it will be ok. Also re-centered the brakes as well.

You can do pretty much all the brake stuff with just one of those tiny key wrenches too, I think I will start carrying one with me now.

The river valley cycle class is $45, a little steep for me after paying tuition haha. But if I have trouble with something I might do it. Youtube seems to be pretty good so far.

mtbr member
    RVS = River Valley Cycle. You'll be fine with Youtube
    s/b RVC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any plans for next Sunday, Gord/Dana?

It'd be sweet if you guys were heading somewhere, show us the trails... but you should then just go off and do it at your own pace! The Jeffs (hahaha!) feel terrible for making you guys wait for us like that!

mtbr member
    s/b RVC
    D'oh!

mtbr member
    Any plans for next Sunday, Gord/Dana?

It'd be sweet if you guys were heading somewhere, show us the trails... but you should then just go off and do it at your own pace! The Jeffs (hahaha!) feel terrible for making you guys wait for us like that!
    sorry I'm riding in Jasper next weekend

mtbr member
    Did a night ride Sunday night with my two Magicshines. One Magicshine is not enough. The lights are great, but I think that with two of them going, you'll get a true 1,000+ lumen output. I ran the one light for a bit and it's doable, but I felt much better running two of them at the same time.

Both lights were bar mounted as helmet mounts have not come in yet. I think the best setup, and likely overkill, is two of these lights on the bar and one on the helmet. To that end, I've got four more lights ordered with Geoman for a full 3 light per person system for myself and whomever I ride with.

Hopefully the lights come in quick!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You crazy man. I have just one magicshine!

mtbr member
    yeah, it's overkill, but I'll be pretty neat! You should have seen all the kids in the ravine Sunday night. They all had the deer in the healight look when I went riding by!

If three is too much, then at least I'll have enough lights for three riders for future rides, this year and beyond. Plus I'm doing the 24 hours of adrenaline next year and I remember my night laps the last time I did that race. I'll be using three lights on that course for sure!

mtbr member
    My current plan for the Sunday ride is to start at the Kinsmen tennis courts, do the west end of the Canada Cup course, take the ST along the river to Old Timers Cabin and Treasure Island. From there we will ride some ST over to Ewok, hit the DH/slalom trail and dirt jump park, head over to Mill Creek to get the primo ST there and then work our way back through the east side of the Canada Cup course.

Start time is 9:00am. If you show up late, hang out there as we will be looping past it around 9:15 or so. Anyone interested?

mtbr member
    I'm in. The only way I won't show is if it's raining hard. Edit: forecast is for slight showers, but I'm guessing that'll be later on in the afternoon.
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 09-29-2009 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gord - Is that the crazy trails that you and Dana were talking about?

If so... Jeff and I may well just head back over to Ft. Sask and keep hitting those trails until we get good enough to not slow you guys down too much!

Double-metric mtb man
    yeah, it's overkill, but I'll be pretty neat! You should have seen all the kids in the ravine Sunday night. They all had the deer in the healight look when I went riding by!

If three is too much, then at least I'll have enough lights for three riders for future rides, this year and beyond. Plus I'm doing the 24 hours of adrenaline next year and I remember my night laps the last time I did that race. I'll be using three lights on that course for sure!
    Hehehe...welcome to my world I started off with 2x15W halogens and Sixty-Fiver thought I was bright. I've since done a DIY LED for the bars (based on parts available on-line and from folks here at the DIY forum) that does a minimum 825 Lm and I still have a 15W on the helmet. All said, probably I'm throwing ~1200 lm into the dark. I'm considering a Magicshine up there when Geoman gets some of the helmet versions in

The last time I did a night ride through Terwillegar, I stopped and tried not to blind some dog-walkers. I got the comment from one that they thought I was a train but they didn't know where the tracks were!

It's fun being able to bomb stuff at night at full-on day speed, ain't it

Double-metric mtb man
    Sorry guys, Sunday rides just don't work for me Have fun, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Mike, if the Saturday morning ride works better you are more than welcome to throw your bike on with me - I am in Mill Woods as well. PM me if you are interested...

mtbr member
    Gord - Is that the crazy trails that you and Dana were talking about?

If so... Jeff and I may well just head back over to Ft. Sask and keep hitting those trails until we get good enough to not slow you guys down too much!
    Yes they are but come on out anyway - we'll show you some trails where you can work on your skills in the city rather than drive all the way to Ft Sk. You probably won't want to try everything, but I will let you know how to go around areas and where to meet back up with us.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be in jasper on sunday so i won't be there but you should go and try it. I just lent my bike to my dad (and I rode my old hardtail) and took him around the canada cup course. He walked a few sections but it wasn't anything totally crazy. It's tough, but it isn't too crazy. You should try it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm in! Don't know if the other Jeff can though, he'll try make it!

I'm still sore from Sun! Not just muscles and where I landed on my numerous spills, but rather when I got in my saddle...some... *softer* bits. Ouch.

mtbr member
    ...It's fun being able to bomb stuff at night at full-on day speed, ain't it
    You said it! These little lights are pretty cool. I'm not sure how long it'll be before my other order comes in, but hopefully not too long. Once I get everthing setup, I'll definitely be doing a three light system.

mtbr member
    What about Saturday, or is that too early? I know the wife thinks I'm crazy getting up that early!

For anyone on here following the U of A Club trip, I am canceling the UAOC Jasper MTB trip because of the miserable weather predicted for the weekend. I can definitely see the hardpack dirt in Jasper taking a pounding if I take 10 people out there, along with miserable camping conditions.

However, I'm going to run a group to Terwillegar instead (beginner/intermediate) for anyone interested.

We are meeting at 10:00am Saturday in Quad on Campus, and will ride most of the day. Out to Terwillegar > Singletrack> Back to Campus!

I might go to Ft. Sask on Sunday after the MEC Gear Swap, too.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    What time is the MEC swap?

mtbr member
    What time is the MEC swap?
    Oct 4, 9:00am to 12:00pm

I'm going to try and sell a freeride/trail hardtail, some tires, and wheels at the gear swap. It's the source of the best and craziest deals on gear in Edmonton if you get there early enough.

mtbr member
    Ohhh...bad timing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Excel, if you come across any nice Time XS Carbons or better for a good price (Let's say less than half of retail), could you pick them up for me pleaseee?

If they are ridiculously cheap I will probably pick them up myself, since I run TIME

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Darn! Oh well!

I'm running some Wellgo pedals, one side is platform and one is clip. Getting annoying to "find" the clip side and get clipped in!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This site rocks for doing maintenance/repairs on your own
    http://bicycletutor.com/

I ended up finding out what is wrong with my rear wheel, it isn't properly trued and that is why it's rubbing the brakes. Not sure if I will try that myself or send it in.

I also readjusted my front and rear derailleurs, the rear one was easy but the front one ended up being super frustrating. Manged to get it eventually!

I wish I knew this stuff when I started out, I did a ton of damage to my bike by not properly maintaing it.

Anyone know where I can buy a shimano 8 speed IG chain? I also need some chain lube, light oil and grease. On a budget so price is definently a factor.

Would I just be better off buying off of Amazon?

mtbr member
    Check MEC - they are usually the best price in town unless someone has a sale going on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check MEC - they are usually the best price in town unless someone has a sale going on.
    Will do. I don't have a membership, but it is only $5. Also, what is this MEC parts swap thingy?

mtbr member
    a bottle of lube doesn't cost much and it's key. i lube my chain before almost every ride.

buy dry lube. only use wet lube if you are going out and it's been pouring for the last few days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah I really destroyed my chain by not using lube, and my chainring/cassette is starting to wear out because of it as well. Not going to ride my bike again till I replace the chain and get some lube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Whats the easiest way to clean horribly dirty chains and cassettes? How well does that Park chain cleaner tool work? Thinking of picking it up when I go to work tomorrow

mtbr member
    JCYC5 - go to MEC and get MEC's generic chain cleaner tool. It looks the same as Park's and it works just as well. It's like $7, plus your MEC membership of $5.

It works very well. It's a great tool to have. While you're at MEC, pick up one of those green 4 litre degreasers. This is what you'd use in the chain cleaner, and it's a great all around degreaser, especially for the price.

Did a night ride last night in Mill Creek and up past Hawerlak where Keiler Road bit it a few years ago. Only used one of my lights and although it was good for almost all the riding ,the single track in Mill Creek almost spilled me over a couple of times for lack of more light power. Now that I've done my testing, a single Magicshine is okay and perfect for casual trail riding, but any twisty wood stuff requires two lights for me.

mtbr member
    That's good to know as I got my Magicshine light in yesterday. I just put an order in for another light + hemet mount, which should be enough light for me on the trails.

I used the generic MEC chain cleaning tools when I volunteered at ECOS Bike Library, and I have a Park chain cleaner of my own. I was never a fan of the MEC ones - I love the Park. The MEC brushes wear out quite fast compared to the Park ones. Buy a Park if you can find it on sale.

However, many of the Filzer tools are quite good for the price. I have a Filzer spoke wrench (black), ISIS crank puller, multiple bottom bracket tools, chain tool, chainring bolt tool, and torx allen key. All are great tools, especially the spoke wrench.

mtbr member
    Just got back from MEC - $5.50 for the chain cleaner tool.

rides with camera
    Sitting at my friends computer now , rode Marys loop in Fruita today , we combined a couple other loops with marys which made it pretty long . Some of the exposure here is freaky . Your riding next to cliffs that are around 150 feet high , so needless to say keep your eyes on the trail ! Rode Moab slickrock yesterday and was surprised on how hard it was , I thought it was a fairly easy tourist trail , not quite We wanted to ride more Moab but the weather was horrible 75+km winds , plus rain in the higher areas . ....................Damn , wanted to run porcupine rim.............. oh well !

Tomorrow more Grand Junction rippin , Holy Cross , Lunch loop and others (theres so many) Comparing these trails to Jasper , Banff areas is hard . Jasper will always be my favorite .Dana make sure you hit the Overlander this weekend , it`s amazing ! Valley of the 5 via Old Fort Point is a no brainer must do as well !

Looking forward to a group ride possibly next weekend ! Ft Sk ?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Sitting at my friends computer now , rode Marys loop in Fruita today , we combined a couple other loops with marys which made it pretty long . Some of the exposure here is freaky . Your riding next to cliffs that are around 150 feet high , so needless to say keep your eyes on the trail ! Rode Moab slickrock yesterday and was surprised on how hard it was , I thought it was a fairly easy tourist trail , not quite We wanted to ride more Moab but the weather was horrible 75+km winds , plus rain in the higher areas . ....................Damn , wanted to run porcupine rim.............. oh well !

Tomorrow more Grand Junction rippin , Holy Cross , Lunch loop and others (theres so many) Comparing these trails to Jasper , Banff areas is hard . Jasper will always be my favorite .Dana make sure you hit the Overlander this weekend , it`s amazing ! Valley of the 5 via Old Fort Point is a no brainer must do as well !

Looking forward to a group ride possibly next weekend ! Ft Sk ?
    What are you saying? Are Jasper and Banff harder than the trails down there?

Overlander is an awesome trail. Try to combine it with Athabasca River trail (if you start in town) for a great ride. You can do it as a out-and-back.

Valley of the Five + Wabasso is equally awesome. Do it as a full out and back (starting from town is the best way), but DON'T go over the top to the highway parking lot at Wabasso Lake. Just turn around and enjoy the flow on the way back. I've never ridden better flowing singletrack than the section back from Wabasso towards town.

mtbr member
    Tomorrow's Terwillerger ride leaves at 7:30am instead of 7:15am. I'm looking out my window here at work and it's still dark at 7:17am.

rides with camera
    What are you saying? Are Jasper and Banff harder than the trails down there?
    I`d say the trails here are alot harder , there are many spots where we hiked a bike . The skill level of some of the guys who live here blow me away !

What I meant was what Iiked better . I think I`ll still prefer our mountains , by a slim margin though .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I was also just in moab and fruita last week...the whole enchilada was the best trail we did. but we had to start at hazard county because burro pass was to wet. 25 miles of sweet singletrack...slickrock was also really good.

mtbr member
    what sort of tires do you use down there? It seems if most of the riding is on rock you wouldn't want really knobby tires like nevegals.

rides with camera
    what sort of tires do you use down there? It seems if most of the riding is on rock you wouldn't want really knobby tires like nevegals.
    Been doing fine on my schwalbe racing ralphs , big thing here is to go tubeless and wide , rode with a guy on marys loop who had two pinch flats . I took my I9s off the new hardtail and threw them on the mojo and am glad I did .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What a horrible day it is to be stuck in my office!

Gord - how many do we have for Sunday right now?

mtbr member
    I'm in for Sunday and possibly my co-worker.

mtbr member
    What a horrible day it is to be stuck in my office!

Gord - how many do we have for Sunday right now?
    Not too sure as I haven't been keeping track. If I think about it a bit, we now have 3 from the board plus a guest each for a possible total of 6 - me + 1, JCYC5 + 1, jkirkpatri + 1.

mtbr member
    I'm going on a night right tonight. If you have a light set and want to ride tonight we are meeting at 8 pm at redbike.

mtbr member
    Just confirmed 1 more rider for Sunday!

Double-metric mtb man
    Where did you guys go? I ride up from Millwoods and had some fun in Mill Creek, Connors Hill, trails near the Cloverbar bridge and low level bridge. My first serious torture test of the DIY light. Hehehe...had to keep it on setting 3 (~700mA) so I didn't drown out my helmet light Setting 5 (1A) is freakin' bright!!!!

mtbr member
    crap it looks like there was a big snow dump in jasper. I am supposed to go tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The course is hard enough without rain and mud... don't think Jeff and I will be able to handle a challenging course in bad conditions! Count us out this time... have fun though Gord + company!

mtbr member
    I think I am going to bail today as well.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's pure crap out there. Next time. I'm out for today too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0