Riding in Edmonton - the 2010 Summer Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Edmonton - the 2010 Summer Thread

Seeing as how today is the first official day of summer, I thought it appropriate to vacate the spring thread; however, seeing as how there is a tornado warning for the areas south of the City, I'll celebrate tonigh's e-ride with some beer and video games! Kudos to those who ride tonight and shake a fist at the unsettling weather!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No riding for me either. I did however get to bail out my basement window wells - the storm filled them so full there was water leaking through the windows... No bikes were harmed though - so all is well. :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe
    No riding for me either. I did however get to bail out my basement window wells - the storm filled them so full there was water leaking through the windows... No bikes were harmed though - so all is well. :P
    Wow, I live by the university and not a drop, saw the dark clouds in the distance. Stayed home and had an indoor/outddor picnic with the kids

*edit* looks like I spoke too soon, here comes the rain

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm on the recovery boat right now....found some mud on Saturday on a ramp from a paved bike path onto a road: front wheel slid out on it and I went down. I'm going to be stiff, sore and hurting (as well as many shades of blue) for the next week so I'm taking it easy so I can be as healed as possible for the Ride next weekend.

On the positive side, at least I did it on the mountain bike and not the Cx bike that I have all set up for the Ride. :/ Still, there will need to be some work done on my mtb to get it back into fighting shape.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I didn't get out tonight either, but I did pick up a new helmet. Which I'll be using tomorrow at the Science park with a couple of buddies. Also peer pressured a friend of mine into picking up a new bike from RVC!

Sorry to hear you're bashed up, Mike.

mtbr member
    The ride last night was great. I live on the south side and me street was flooded from the rain. I went for 3 laps around the Canada Cup course and it was great weather all evening - not a drop of rain the whole time. Just depended where you were in the city!
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I seem to be healing up not too bad. The elbow is missing about a nickel/quarter's worth of skin, but not very deep. The stuff on my calf was minor and is gone. I've got a small bruise on my left chest (minor) and a $5 bill worth of black and blue on my thigh. Most of the pain is gone and there is only some sensitivity on the thigh when I'm sitting on something that presses on it.

The bike, on the other hand, will need some replacement parts. Pedal is fairly well scratched up, but hey, it's a pedal. My custom bar plug is toast and I don't trust my rear skewer considering how deeply it got sanded down.

Oh well....at least it wasn't the bike I'm riding down near Calgary for the Ride to Conquer Cancer this weekend.

mtbr member
    Good to hear that you're on the mend. Went out last night and proceeded to scrape up my left arm pretty good, as well as cut my left knee. Over the bars and down the enbankment! Still, good ride last night. Tried out some new tires, Maxxis Ignitors. I think I like them better than my oem tires. I'll lower the air pressure a tad more for next ride.

Lots of riders out last night. Most seem to be on various parts of the Canada Cup course. I met up with two other riders and they did three laps of the course, I did 1.75 (the last bit avoided as a result of my wipeout).

Almost all areas are dry except for a mud fest out of the river valley coming up to the parking are acrross from the old Queen Elizabeth pool. Trails are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Almost all areas are dry except for a mud fest out of the river valley coming up to the parking are acrross from the old Queen Elizabeth pool. Trails are in good shape.
    Mudfest? That spot is only a bit more than a bike length long, less than 2 feet wide, only about 3 inches deep. There is a natural spring there so it one of the spots that is almost always muddy. Climb the left side and stay left until you run out of room then crank 45 degrees across to the right side - your tires won't even be in the mud for 1/2 of a rotation.

Take care of those wounds!

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Went for 2 solid rides on the SS last couple nights, I was really feeling it all over the place yesterday, mainly back and knee's. Maybe my seat is to low?
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    I'd guess that your seat is too low, speaking from my past experience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good to hear that you're on the mend. Went out last night and proceeded to scrape up my left arm pretty good, as well as cut my left knee. Over the bars and down the enbankment! Still, good ride last night. Tried out some new tires, Maxxis Ignitors. I think I like them better than my oem tires. I'll lower the air pressure a tad more for next ride.
    That's what I've got right now. Took me a couple rides to get used to them - but now I'm liking them lots. Still thinking I'll swap my back tire out for the Small Block 8 though - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe
    That's what I've got right now. Took me a couple rides to get used to them - but now I'm liking them lots. Still thinking I'll swap my back tire out for the Small Block 8 though - just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    ...ahhh, but I think you're on a 26inch wheel. My bike's a 29er so it might be a bit different. I have not heard good things about SB8 for 29ers, but have heard that they are pretty good for 26ers.

mtbr member
    Wickedly hot out today. Did some easier smooth single track stuff. I have determined that my replacement front rim is a noodle. Was able to get an oem rim state-side that will be laced up this Friday.

Trail user stupidity is directly related to the temperature outside. Many close calls today due to people not being aware of their position in relation to the trail.

In other good news, the green dangly worms have started to come out. Thankfully, they show up lime green against my black jersey and make it easier to see (and creep out bystanders when I ask them to see if I'm infested on my backside). Only one managed to get caught and squished between my bald head and helmet. Didn't really notice until I got home, though.

rides with camera
    Wickedly hot out today. Did some easier smooth single track stuff. I have determined that my replacement front rim is a noodle. Was able to get an oem rim state-side that will be laced up this Friday.

Trail user stupidity is directly related to the temperature outside. Many close calls today due to people not being aware of their position in relation to the trail.

In other good news, the green dangly worms have started to come out. Thankfully, they show up lime green against my black jersey and make it easier to see (and creep out bystanders when I ask them to see if I'm infested on my backside). Only one managed to get caught and squished between my bald head and helmet. Didn't really notice until I got home, though.
    Sunday`s are always bad for people not being aware on the trails , something in the air I think , and your right , the hot weather doesn`t help !

I was out yesterday and found the trails quite soupy . I bet they were good today but I am typing this while thunder and hard rain is going on outside . So tomorrow may be messy .........Won`t matter for me cause I will be working

Yes I`m happy to see the worms are back ! This guy was in my camelback last Monday .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the 2010 Summer Thread-529.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    I was out yesterday and found the trails quite soupy . I bet they were good today but I am typing this while thunder and hard rain is going on outside . So tomorrow may be messy ....
    Ya, did 3 laps of the Canada Cup course yesterday morning and there were a lot more puddles around than when I was on the course Friday evening. It was just greasy enough that the climb at QE park was nearing impossible. I spotted a new line through the bushes on the right side that I will test out tonight to see if it is rideable.

LESS THAN 2 WEEKS UNTIL THE EDMONTON CANADA CUP!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Those worms grossed me right out! MOUTH CLOSED!!! Goddamn...

mtbr member
    They are only going to get worse over the next few weeks. Wait until they are out full force - you'll get over 40 of them in 1 ride. I was leading a group ride last night and only saw about 8 in total.

mtbr member
    Did 32km today in 35 degree heat, lots of hills, pretty dusty. Oh wait, that's right, I'm in Kelowna, not Edmonton where it's been raining seeminginly non-stop for the past 10 days!

rides with camera
    Did 32km today in 35 degree heat, lots of hills, pretty dusty. Oh wait, that's right, I'm in Kelowna, not Edmonton where it's been raining seeminginly non-stop for the past 10 days!

Ahhhh , good for you ! How`s the riding there ? It`s fender and rainwear fun here so enjoy it !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Ahhhh , good for you ! How`s the riding there ? It`s fender and rainwear fun here so enjoy it !
    Kelowna is very dry and dusty. The singletrack is pretty nice. There's hardly no roots whatsoever, but there's a fair amount of rocks. Inbetween the rocks, is nice hard pack dirt with dirt powder on top. There's not too much foliage and most of that foliage seems to be pine trees. Lots and lots of ladders, plank drops, and teetor totter setups in the single track that winds its way up one of the hills in West Kelowna. Did my first teeter totter and nearly crapped my pants!

There is one downhill section that is pretty wicked, albeit scary as well. Think of our bobsled mini run in McKinnen ravine, but multiply the height on the walls that you go up and down on by 10. It's like a huge half pipe in the forest, where if you stall, you won't be able to stand on the side of the embankment becuase it's so loose and steep (you won't stop because you are going so fast, but you are going so fast that you'll be on the brakes quite a bit so that you don't fly into the forest). Definately a white knuckle ride on the way down. There was a ladder bridge built that spanned both sides of this half pipe luge run. It was about 2 feet wide, ladder style, and about 15 feet off the ground at the highest. Looked very pretty and I would be chicken to walk across it, let alone ride it.

Temperature for yesterday's ride was 35 degrees. It's so dry that I was covered in dust following the guy who took me out, and everytime you go for a drink, you get a little dust in your mouth for extra flavour. Not many riders out and those that were out were on heavy duty fullies.

I did notice Toonie Tuesday races posted up in the hills that we were riding. Given that the trails are much narrower than Terwilliger, with bigger damage to the rider should you bail (you are on a "mountain" after all, not a riverside park), I imagine that their races are bit more hectic than our Tuesday races and there didn't appear to be much room for passing - unless you take one of the mulitple 3-4 foot drops and try to leap frog the guy you're chasing.

I kicked myself for not bringing the camera as pictures would have been awesome to post. Next year I won't forget my camera.

rides with camera
    Thanks for the report My next thing to say was post some pics That downhill sounds like fun , I have been on rides like that when once your into it all you can do is hold on . Scary as hell but your pumped up and smiling at the end . Ya gotta love riding !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Speaking of bobsled, my cannondale got **** kicked when I last rode it. Snapped chainstay and seat stay.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Too much rain in Edmonton for decent riding. Last week I was in Kelowna, this weekend it's 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Canmore. I'll remember my camera and post some pictures on Monday/Tuesday. Forecast is for clear skies both Saturday and Sunday with a low of 6 degrees for the night laps. Hopefully the rain goes away in Edmonton and this thread can actually be about Edmonton riding again!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went out on Wednesday to Terwilligar. A little sloppy, but if you're not dirty you're not going fast enough.

Going out tonight too.

mtbr member
    Trails seem to by starting to dry up. There was still quite a few mud holes out there last night, but I would say the trails are about 95%. If the weather stays warm and windy those will be dried up by the weekend.

rides with camera
    Yes , there are lot`s of mud holes . I was down in lower Forest heights tonight (along the river) . That place is wet even during drought so it`s obviously a little messy now . Somebody took the liberty of making short little bridges to get across those . Kudos to whoever it was !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the 2010 Summer Thread-005-1.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes , there are lot`s of mud holes . I was down in lower Forest heights tonight (along the river) . That place is wet even during drought so it`s obviously a little messy now . Somebody took the liberty of making short little bridges to get across those . Kudos to whoever it was !
    I know! I was down there tonight - the little bridges are awesome.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I'm going to try to get back on the bike soon. The Ride to Conquer Cancer was great (all 220 km plus 1.7km climb of it).

Anyone know of a good single child trailer? We had a baby Psycho arrive a couple weeks ago now (hence why I'm not riding much)...I figure the Cx bike can be the hauler now that I've geared it down (besides, the monster/Franken-cargo trailer matches the mtb ) so I'll need to keep my eyes open for the next while. If anyone knows of a good brand or a good quality one going up for sale used, please drop me a line.

I'm hoping that the City will respond to my claim soon. Some of the damage from the crash is more on the cosmetic side (annoying, but won't keep me off the bike), the rain gear would be nice to have replaced (right now my gear is silver with all the duct tape) but the biggest thing is the rear skewer....I figure it's a definite "need to replace" before I sling a leg over the mtb again. It's ground down to the point I think it would actually fail the arm off the skewer and I'd lose a wheel if I caught any air.

mtbr member
    No experience on bike trailers, so no comments here. What happened that you filed a claim with the City?

Went for a 39km ride. Hot and humid! Single track is almost dry.

Was chasing/being chased by a fellow rider when I pulled up and figured to introduce myself. Went for another 15km or so after that. Did all trail stuff between Capilano bridge and Groat Road, but left some of the Kinsmen stuff for another time.

Much more fun to ride with another rider than by yourself.
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 07-29-2010 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi guys, I've just recently purchased a lovely 2007 stumpjumper and I have been itching to try out the trails in and around Edmonton. So far I've been to Terwilligar Park and a few trails around Kinsmen and Millcreek ravine, though it's mostly been paved trails.

Where is a good place to start off in the river valley where I go for a few hour bike though as much single track as i can? It seems there is a lot of track out there but I have no where to begin or where to park.

Any other places around Edmonton (sherwood park, Elk Island, etc) that would be fun to check out besides rabbit hill? I'm mostly looking for XC trails where I can get my bike nice and dirty.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You need to head down to a LBS and pick up the little coiled book for Edmonton single track. It's a small book, cheap, but lists lots of rides. I know that River Valley Cycle has it at their cash desk, as well as United Cycle.

You can ride continiously on single track in the river valley system once you know where all the trails are. If you've been through Mill Creek on the paved path, do it again, but go down into the treed areas. If you go north of 76 avenue on the paved path (the pedistrian cross walk), take your first right onto the dirt and go from there. There are lots of trails in the Creek. You can ride single track all the way down to Muttart.

Get the book. It'll help!

mtbr member
    When it comes to a child transport, I can't recommend Chariot enough. It easily converts to multiple uses and almost every part is replaceable so there is no worries buying used or if you lose a piece, they can be ordered. I have the Cariot Cougar single, which works great but if you are interested in re-sale value, buy the double as that is what most people are interested in buying.

mtbr member
    If you are wanting to see all the ST the city has to offer, I suggest joining up with some group rides with one of the clubs in town. Just about every LBS has a ride once or twice a week and most have different categories of riders based on ability from beginner to elite. The book that jkirkpatri mentioned is a good start, but there are a ton of trails that aren't on the map and the book is getting fairly dated.

mtbr member
    The book is called "Local Ride".

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I totally forgot about this message board, and I'm bored at work today. I haven't been able to ride my bike due to injury. I miss it. oh well. I'll just have to ride twice as hard next summer to make up for it.

I hope everyone is getting in some awesome rides this summer.

mtbr member
    Things are pretty slow. With all the rain we've had this year, this is a good year to be off the bike, if you have no choice. I'll get up my 24 Hour pictures this weekend. Hopefully your knee is good to go soon.

mtbr member
    Got out for a bit today. Hot and humid. Mill Creek is dry except for a couple of mud puddles right along the creek. All else in the Creek is dry and good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yep, did my first biking on trails today in the valley , conditions didn't seem too bad at all.

Double-metric mtb man
    No experience on bike trailers, so no comments here. What happened that you filed a claim with the City?
    Had a little run in on a new segment of asphalt bike path trying to get up to Mill Creek from Millwoods. What it comes down to is someone didn't clean up properly after doing landscaping and there was a thin layer of mud left on the ramp...slicker than snot after a little shower and as a result, my front washed out and I slipped (fell right back flat on my @$$) just trying to stand up after.

I'm usually one who takes my licks and keeps going, but this was dangerous. I wasn't booking it and the bike was horizontal before I even had a chance to register the "OH" in "OH $#!+" The bike ended up 1/2 way across the road and I was at the base of the ramp/half way into the lane...had there been a car, I'd have been fubar. Sliding a mtb along concrete and asphalt can do a bit of damage...the rear skewer is ground to snot, end of my bars is ground up and my rain gear was shredded. I expected slippery with the shower, but this made the MUT down from McNally to the golf course in the spring seem like perfect traction.

I'm giving them a pass on the bodily injury (we are mountain bikers, right), but it nearly sidelined me from the Ride to Conquer Cancer this year too (I got gasps for the amount of black and blue I was sporting on the Ride a week later...4-6" wide from knee to hip).

We'll see what happens...I don't know if they will do anything with it or not. Some of it is cosmetic and not that big a deal...but some is a little more serious: the bike is sidelined as I don't trust the skewer to hold and I haven't been able to find the Bonty OEM one yet. I tossed the claim sheet at them more out of principle to get them to pay attention to the ramp...after all, if it is slick enough to take me down when I ride on snow and ice for a good chunk of the year, then what about the next person ands what if there is a car next time?

mtbr member
    I took my Cross bike (set up with road tires because i don't have a road bike) out for an hour with my wife on saturday. it was the first bike ride i've done in a long time. It was great just being out on a bike again, but my knee was pretty sore later that evening.

mtbr member
    Hit up Ft. Sask yesterday. They have added some more plank bridges on the far west end. Good times!

mtbr member
    that's awesome. Can't wait to go back there. Good riding in fort Sask.

mtbr member
    Awesome group ride last night - started at Kinsmen and did the beginning fo the CC course and headed west towards Emily Murphy. We climbed up the museum hill and rode the pave to Bobsled. From there we hit Root Canal and Root 66, headed back to Groat Road and did Groat Rollercoaster and across Groat Road to do Victoria's Secret. The storm was rolling in so we decided that we best call it quits. On my drive home I found the storm and it was raining so hard I couldn't see the front of my truck! The roads were completely covered in water and it was flowing over the curbs in most parts.

The trails were good in most places but a few spots are quite over grown. I guess that is expected with how much rain we have gotten this year - the vegitation is exploding! The other problem was the mosquitos. I guess they were only a problem when we stopped.

mtbr member
    I got soaked with the rain. Almost made it home, but I was four blocks short when I got drenched. Lots of neat trails last night - most I've never done before. Nasty bruise on my shoulder from attempting to body check a tree (not a good idea). Mosquitos were good motivation to keep riding.

mtbr member
    Victoria Secret is usually pretty overgrown in the summer. It's kind of an early spring and fall only sort of trail in my mind.

mtbr member
    Surprisingly, Victoria's Secret was probably the best trail out west. Seems the bums travel it enough to keep the foliage beaten back based on the amount of hobo camps we came across. Only 2 pieces were a bit overgrown with ground cover, unlike the other trails where you are getting beaten in the face with tree branches.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    Hit up Ft. Sask yesterday. They have added some more plank bridges on the far west end. Good times!
    I was in Fort Sask on Sunday as well. Very fun. Not a super long loop, but the obstacles more than made up for it.

No. Just No.
    I'm visiting from out of province, expecting to be in Edmonton this coming Fri/Sat/Sun Aug 13th-15th staying with local relatives. I've been to Alberta a few times previously, but never to Edmonton and am interested to see what the place is like.

If anyone has any group rides going on this weekend and wants to grace me with a guided tour I'd gladly accept any offers (PM me or post up here). Happy to ride any of long or short, casual pace or hammerfest, up or down, slow-mo tech or buff flowy stuff. In other words, I just like seeing new trail systems and meeting riders from other places when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise, I'm good to poke around on my own using some of the info and suggestions already posted in this thread - thanks for saving me some of the research/legwork.

EDIT: I'm scanning the Edmonton weather forecast for the next few days and it looks like possibly a couple of mm on Thursday and Friday. My local trails are full of loamy mulch and suck up water fairly easily, but not sure what the scoop is for trails around Edmonton. Are there any trail networks that should specifically be avoided for a couple of days after any rain to minimize impact on trails?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Looking for trail advice/experiences

Howdy Edmontonites! Appreciate the discussion of Edmonton rides. I'm trying to ride a lot more this summer/fall, and I'm thinking about bringing my bike with me when I visit for work this fall. Might be a fun way to shake up the trip!

I've bookmarked the trail maps on the River Valley Cycle site - they look awesome. Thanks RVC guys for putting them up. I'll be buying the local rides book from you this weekend when I visit as a way of saying thanks!

CIRCLIP - if you haven't seen those trailmaps yet, and you think they might be handy for your trip, you might want to check them out here: http://rivervalleycycle.com/index.ph...il-guide-links

I'm staying with friends near the Terwillegar trails this weekend, and thinking that looks like the best choice for a first ride in Edmonton. For those who might have a chance to reply, I was hoping some of you who have ridden these trails might be able to tell me a bit more about them.

The perimeter trail looks to be wood chip covered double track for most of the way, while the fireman's trail looks to be a mix of single and double with a short technical stretch of singletrack and the rollercoaster trail looks like the longest stretch of singletrack some shorter ups and downs thrown into the mix.

Love to hear opinions of these trails and any local knowledge the Edmonton gurus might be able to share. My impression from searching the forum and checking the maps out is they are pretty basic trails for the most part, and it might be a fun for a day to head out and get to know them. Of course, my impressions could be totally wrong too...which is why I'm posting here.

Thanks in advance if you're able to share any local knowledge.

Cheers

eman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misteremanca
    The perimeter trail looks to be wood chip covered double track for most of the way, while the fireman's trail looks to be a mix of single and double with a short technical stretch of singletrack and the rollercoaster trail looks like the longest stretch of singletrack some shorter ups and downs thrown into the mix.

Love to hear opinions of these trails and any local knowledge the Edmonton gurus might be able to share. My impression from searching the forum and checking the maps out is they are pretty basic trails for the most part, and it might be a fun for a day to head out and get to know them. Of course, my impressions could be totally wrong too...which is why I'm posting here.

Thanks in advance if you're able to share any local knowledge.

Cheers

eman
    Fireman's is a steep decent into a rooty, fairly level section, followed by another steep decent. The decent's are steep, so just be aware for the first couple of times you ride it.

From the parking lot, you'll see a wooded area to the south and an open field to the right. Ride the wooded area, explore it up and down, there's lots of riding in that area. There's a bowl jump as well, so if you find the bowl jump, you'll know that you are riding the right spots.

There's a few good single track rides that go through the west side of the park. They end up going through the open fields a bit, but you can't see them from the parking lot.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks!

That is awesome jkirkpatri, thanks for sharing that information re: fireman's trail!

Cheers

eman

mtbr member
    Fireman's is not too steep - it can be ridden backwards. The only problem with Fireman's is that it isn't very long - it should take you less than 5 minutes to get through.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Rode out to spruce grove tonight to help my parents out. My dad locked his keys in his truck. Wasn't too bad besides the fact that it was raining half of the way out there and I could barely see. All in all, Good ride. Made me feel good knowing I still have it in me to do highway rides.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...Zadley, the next time I do Westlock, I'll invite you along

mtbr member
    May 2007

More on Terwillegar

Howdy everyone. Happy Monday!

I was in Edmonton on the w/end, sadly without my bike, and as I was driving west on the Henday I noticed a bunch of vehicles parked off the side of the road on what looked to be a trail head leading down towards the river. I saw a couple of riders heading down the trail beyond the gate.

I didn't get a chance to go check out the dog park, but I was wondering if these trails connected with the system of trails surrounding the dog park somehow? It looked like a fun place to ride, and relatively close to my friends' place too.

I'll be heading back in a couple of weeks and hopefully have my bike with me. Are there any kind of trail markings if a guy was to go exploring in this area some time, or is it all local knowledge?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misteremanca
    Howdy everyone. Happy Monday!

I was in Edmonton on the w/end, sadly without my bike, and as I was driving west on the Henday I noticed a bunch of vehicles parked off the side of the road on what looked to be a trail head leading down towards the river. I saw a couple of riders heading down the trail beyond the gate.

I didn't get a chance to go check out the dog park, but I was wondering if these trails connected with the system of trails surrounding the dog park somehow? It looked like a fun place to ride, and relatively close to my friends' place too.

I'll be heading back in a couple of weeks and hopefully have my bike with me. Are there any kind of trail markings if a guy was to go exploring in this area some time, or is it all local knowledge?

Cheers
    That is the rollercoaster trail described in the RVC trail maps you mentioned last week. The trail is quite well used, but there are a lot of other trails that intersect and the trails are not marked.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    psycho mike i pm'ed about a bike trailer.

Double-metric mtb man
    Misteremanca - if it was on the Henday near the bridge and river, then yes, those connect back to Terwillegar patk (dog park too). There are ways to sneak into the rest of the river valley trails from there, but it's not a continuous trail system yet (they have plans though)

Zappa, thanks...fired you off one about it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks!

Thanks PsychoMike...

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will have my bike this time. That looks like a fun little start to the trails, nice to know where I'm going!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Doesn't look like anyone will be riding much - the smoke that has blow in from the BC forest fires is so thick you can hardly see more 3 blocks away in any direction...

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I haven't been riding much all year... rock climbing and scrambling have taken over my weekends! Sooo much fun. I think it was time for a hobby shift after five years of obsession.

I still use my bike for errands though! My old GT race bike makes an excellent fast run-around bike and in-town MTB.... it will never see a pannier rack though. It needs a BB now sadly, so it will be retired unless I source an old one (eBay probably).
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Where are some dry(er) trails guys? I was so dirty last night at Terwig and really couldn't go for a long time.

mtbr member
    Terwillegar has the worst mud in the city. Anywhere else would be better. Usually the high stuff at the Kinsmen dries out quickly, same goes for the Dawson/Forrest Heights area.

rides with camera
    Spectacular riding conditions tonight ! Hope you guy`s were out there , tomorrow should be nice too

Get out before it turns nasty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton - the 2010 Summer Thread-001-4.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yikes.....nice forecast. I got out around 8pm and just got in, beautiful night.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Went for a street session with a couple buddies tonight, It was good to get some solid riding in with the boys.

mtbr member
    I did a training ride at the SSP course last night in preperation for XC Provincials in Hinton this weekend. Definitely some of the toughest climbing trails in Edmonton! The grass sure got high out there this year with all the rain we had!

Crank monkey

Trail Conditions?

I'm planning on going for a ride tomorrow, wherever things are driest. What do the trails look like since the last rain?
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    Some of us went out last night. The single track has some damp spots still, but by the end of today, it'll all be good.

mtbr member
    Any know how the trails are today? My knee isn't hurting too bad today and i haven't been on trails in over a month. I'd like to go, but I imagine that they are really soggy.

I might go out on the road bike.

mtbr member
    Dana, trails should be okay. A few mud spots, but nothing too major. PM if you're interested in joining up on a night ride tonight starting around 8:30pm

mtbr member
    I might be. But the problem is that i've been injured so long that I will almost certainly be dropped or have to head back early if my knee starts hurting.

Where? Who'll be at this ride?

mtbr member
    edit: Mill Creek upper parking lot, 8:30pm....

Post up if you're coming and we'll wait for you if you we don't seee you right away.
    Last edited by jkirkpatri; 09-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    don't wait for me. I might be there, but i'm thinking it might be a bad idea to go. I love group rides and riding with others, but when recovering from an injury it's usually best to just ride at my pace.

mtbr member
    Sunday night ride - trails in excellent shape. Hardly any mud at all
    Tuesday night ride - trails a bit dry, but all still in excellent shape.

Getting dark in the trails around 8:30pm. Open spots are still light enough to ride without lights.

Didn't see any riders out Sunday night, saw a few last night. All rides in the Mill Creek Kinsmen area and the trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been out on the trails quite a bit in the last few weekends. I haven't seen much of anyone riding. Once I get my brakes in next week for my other bike I will probably be exploring the area much more.

Do the river trails stay ridable over winter?

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintcarblue
    I've been out on the trails quite a bit in the last few weekends. I haven't seen much of anyone riding. Once I get my brakes in next week for my other bike I will probably be exploring the area much more.

Do the river trails stay ridable over winter?
    Yep , certain areas not so much . Pretty much anything paved and gravel doubletrack is o.k

Please don`t mention winter on here yet
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Pretty muddy last night. Mill Creek was greasy on the single track, but the walking dirt trails were good. Went down to Ft Edmonton Park. Took some single track here and there, but it's all wet so I stuck mostly to the walking dirt paths.

River is quite low. Managed to ride on the river bed from the zoo up to the pedistrian bridge that crosses over to Hawerlak Park. Started to rain and almost snow by the time I got home.

Getting dark enough to use lights around 8:20pm if in the trees. Only saw two other riders out last night.

Had some winos laugh their ass off at the light output I was giving off. This was around 9pm in Mill Creek. They figured that I needed more lights! I don't, but I admit, I might be a bit excessive using three lights rather than two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm gonna go cruise around Terwillegar on my Fargo tomorrow. Seems like it will be nice weather.

mtbr member
    Yesterday - trails drying up.

This morning - Terwilliger, not too bad. You can tell that once the frost thaws, that the place is still going to be fairly muddy, but not soupy muddy. This morning was cold, but the trails were good!

Double-metric mtb man
    I got out on the Cake yesterday...Mill Creek and lower Ewok. Man, everything was soggy...some worse then others. Even the little ladders on lower Ewok to help with the wetter areas were underwater in places.

Two nice things about the ride: 1) I can tell I've been pushing a 39 tooth front ring on my Cx bike...the 32 felt little and I was spinning a lot faster in higher gears. 2) I cleared one particular rock garden that had been a nemesis for a while...no issue this time in spite of the tires being full of mud.

mtbr member
    Went out last night. Single track is still greasy and wet (especially in Mill Creek). All dirt walking paths are good with periodic puddles here and there.

Dog walkers are out enforce and dog leashes are nowhere to be seen as most walkers figure that if it's only 6*C, there can't be any possibility of cyclists out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I took a wrong turn riding the rivers edge last weekend. A little wet. Almost flew off into a large mess.

Weather looks REAL good for this weekend. I can't wait to get out.

mtbr member
    Got out last night from 9-11pm. Saw two groups of night riders, one of which was the 55+ club. Compared notes as they were coming from the west end, and they confirmed that all the single track is muddy on their end of town. The single track by the Old Timers Cabin is all mud fested and water bogs.

Weather was good, though! Saw three mice, two rabbits, and three winos who complained that my lights were blinding them.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Might head out for a ride today, Haven't been out for almost a month. I miss it, plus I can use it as training for mx racing.

mtbr member
    Trails starting to dry up. Mill Creek is puddles, but the walking double track is good. Should be all clear by Saturday, and a bit greasy for any rides tomorrow. I would suspect the trails will stay wet today.

Looks like about 65/70% of the leaves have fallen now too. Trails are opening up and new trail offshoots are making themselves noticeable. There is a significant amount of leaf coverage on the trails now.

Walkers are still oblivious to cyclists at this time of year.

Members who have read this thread: 0