Riding in Edmonton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Edmonton

I went out for an excellent singlespeed ride today. 27 Nov and it was 0C with beautifuly dry trails. In an odd coincedence I met a guy riding a nice 98 Explosif, the exact same frame that I have at home. I had to take care of some business toward the beginning, Thanks to the city of Edmonton for providing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Big Test Icycles
    Hey nice to see Ole Edmonton. I grew up there and rode my Rocky all through the River Valley. Some of thte best XC trails I have been on. There is a great trail that drops down into the RV from Revolution Cycle area and heads East. Just FYI

mtbr member

Hi

I think I've been on that. Often when I'm in the river valley I'm not sure excactly where I am to the streets.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Big Test Icycles
    I know the feeling. I got used to telling where I was by looking at the bridges. I lived there for 20 years so that came naturally. Have you bombed down Rabbit or Conners Hill yet.

Jag
    mtbr member

Go to the Fort...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I went out for an excellent singlespeed ride today. 27 Nov and it was 0C with beautifuly dry trails. In an odd coincedence I met a guy riding a nice 98 Explosif, the exact same frame that I have at home. I had to take care of some business toward the beginning, Thanks to the city of Edmonton for providing.

If you like the trails in the river valley... you will love the trail in Fort Saskatchewan... It follows the river valley. Up and down the river bank, a few log overs, twisty twisty twisty.

Jag
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

mtbr member

The Fort

I've been to the Fort and the only problem with that trail is that there should be more of it. Excellent.

Where is Rabbit and Conners hill?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

dreaming of bottlerockets
    You're talking about Rabbit Hill? The big rumour is that there will be lift access biking there opening June 19th this summer. So you can bomb down as many times, as often as you like now .

I think Connors Hill is the Edmonton Ski Clubs' hill.

The hill at Government House Park (below the provincial museum) is fun to bomb down, and there are two drops to hit. I usually ride the Groat Road trail to get there - which is pretty fun by itself.

Big Test Icycles
    Lift access at Rabbit!! I'll have to bring my bike next time I come home to visit.

Nov 2005
    hey im looking for someone to ride with in edmonton...or just some good trails to ride int eh west end

ps the trail by revolution is miccinnon ravine and the sides of the ravine are sweet to fly down once you get past 142 st

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    If you like the trails in the river valley... you will love the trail in Fort Saskatchewan... It follows the river valley. Up and down the river bank, a few log overs, twisty twisty twisty.

Jag
    Where does this Ft Sask trail start?

THX

mtbr member

The Fort

If you are driving from Edmonton cross the river and turn left at the lights. Take another left at the Tim Hortens and follow this road down to Turner Park at the river. Park and head to the right and watch for the trail dropping down on your right (river bank) side. I haven't been out there this winter but here in the city there are some slippery section. Except for icy patches it should be ridable.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Great! I will check it out!

mtbr member
    test123

mtbr member

Test

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar Display of Power
    test123
    Loud and clear
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Hey all... I just registered here and just happen to be from Edmonton.

It was wet, rainy, and cold when I took my boys out for their first little ride of the season (35 km) and we opted to do some mixed terrain riding and went mud bogging down in Mill Creek Ravine. That was an absolute blast although that clay based mud can be like riding on butter and sticks like tapioca.

The day really improved after 2 pm and we took a nice ride home via Dawson Park and checked out the new paths they've laid out. The paved switchbacks are nice when you're looking for a liesurely ride home.

It was all good except for the high speed spill I took when I hit a slippery bridge deck at 35 kmh... we definately got our fair share of mud and blood today as well a sprained thumb and a banged up and bruised knee.

Definately...all good.

(35 km)
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Do they eventually sweep the paved paths down Groat Road? I got some nice road rash when commuting to the U of A the other day (my first "serious attempt" :P - I'm shooting for every day in April). Wave to the guy on the 80's era Norco Avanti 10-speed if you see him (me) .

More on the rumour mill:

The proposed jump park is being designed by Jay Hoots, and I think the prime location at the moment is under the High Level bridge near Kinsmen Park. 3 sets of jumps, and some trials stuff - but lack of funding is the issue right now.

Nov 2005
    there is a dj park goin up in st. albert sponsered by home depot and someone else i forgot who he said but i got the info from my atco guy...so you know its reliable...

mtbr member

Drying Out

No I'm not going away for 28 days but am refering to the excellent weather this week. 4 day weekend coming up and I am hoping that some sweet singletrack will be dry.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

I rode home from work yesterday (from downtown) and checked out the trail between the south side of the LRT bridge and Emily Murphy Park... I think it's one of the the last places in the city where you can find snow right now.

I actually live on the north side and have a 5km commute but the ride home is always 4 times longer than the ride to work.

I am also hoping that the glorious weather holds for the long weekend as I really want to get out and check more of the trails to see what shape they're in although things are looking pretty dry.

I also hope they get down to cleaning up the trail down Groat road as all the sand does make it a wee bit treacherous and I've already had my crash o' the week.

I'll make sure to watch out of rthe guy on the Norco too.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

mtbr member

Norco Riders

This is awkward. I routinely flip off Norco riders. Just a habit. Sorry.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Travis - Norco riders are people too...

Being that we live in the same city I expect that at some point we'll cross on some trail here and I hope you don;t have anything against people who ride scruffy old Treks.

mtbr member

Wink Sixty Fiver

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

Travis - Norco riders are people too...

So are unicyclists but you wouldn't want one in your neibourhood..

Being that we live in the same city I expect that at some point we'll cross on some trail here and I hope you don;t have anything against people who ride scruffy old Treks.

Trek, Eh.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Travis,

I'm sensing a Ford vs Chevy kind of theme here...

Aside from that little breeze that was blowing in our faces all day, it was a pretty nice day to log more than a few km although with my schedule it was all pavement and no trail... that's too much like work. On a positive note, half of my 40 km today was into the wind so the legs got a good workout.

All that winter riding has kept me in good shape but not the shape I'd like to be in... weekends here usually involve rides of 60 - 80 km followed by BBQ's, campfires, and cold beverages and right now I'm only up to the last three items on that list.

Summer here is way too short and I think we can at least agree on that.

Cheers!

mtbr member

Head Wind

I feel your pain. Rode home yesterday into a 30 km/h wind. Got up this morning to face a head wind again. I kept thinking "at least the wind is drying out the trails"
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

The road report...

I just got home after an invigorating little 24km spin... I live in north Edmonton (Sherbrooke) so went down Groat road, wound down and around around Hawrelak Park like a madman (I had to stop to see the ducks and geese), then took the south trail out of the park.

I then went to see the horses at Whitemud stables, and then returned home via pretty much the same route except I skipped Groat and went up Victoria Hill so I could stop by The Second Cup for an Ethiopian.

The best thing was that aside from a few small boggy patches and even a patch of snow, things were really dry and after a few small adjustments the old girl handled everything pretty nicely.

I was checking out a 2005 Jamis Nova at the Hardcore yesterday and afterwards rode back through MillCreek Ravine taking all the off road trails I could and these too were dry and smooth.

It bodes well for the rest of the weekend as long as it doesn't rain and mess things up for Monday.

mtbr member

Oh Baby!

I'm taking the SS out this afternoon for the first off road ride since the big snowfall. Where did I put that sunscreen?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Double-metric mtb man
    Sweet....glad to hear there are a lot of Edmontonians here. I'll definitely see some of you out on the trails.

Personally, I like a good bomb down Mill Creek, down Connors Hill, crossing the river and doing a run to the Capilano Bridge and coming back along the golf course to the Dawson Bridge and eventually making my way back up Mill Creek.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I finished building my new Jamis Dakar XC Comp on Friday and decided to take it out to test some of the singletrack in Mill Creek. 4.5 hours later I had made it to Rundle in the north and Fort Edmonton in the south, almost entirely avoiding paved trails. There's some wet spots, and some ice between Hawlrelak and the high level bridge on the south side, but overall the trails were fabulous.

Yeah, I like the new bike.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Mike - There's plenty of variety in that little route and it's one of my faves... Millcreek ravine is a nice place to ride no matter what your skill level is. I would suspect yesterday's snow has made some of the singletrack a wee bit on the boggy side but we'll see.

I've just finished prepping the ride for today's adventures and double checked my list of essentials... first aid kit, tools, plenty of H20...etc.

I don't think the weather could be any better for an Easter Monday and I'm just waiting on the rest of the guys to get their respective acts together so we can head out. I think we're going to bomb over to Terwillegar Park and see what things are like there.

If they don't hurry up they'll just have to catch me on the trail... heh heh heh

P.S. - I can't forget the camera today.
    Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 04-17-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Double-metric mtb man
    65er - I'd likely be seeing you out there but I've picked up the bug that's been going around

Sucks to have an afternoon off work and be sick and not be able to go riding.

mtbr member

Fort Report

Just got back from Fort Saskatchewan. Some of it was in good shape but way too much was gooey slick mud. Maybe next weekend she'll be good. I can't decide if I should ride to work tomorrow or hit the singletrack after. I don't think I have the legs for both. I just got my 98 Kona Explosif back together yesterday while it snowed. It is so nice out it hardly seems possible that it snowed yesterday.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Mike - My nephew was going to join us today but he too has fallen ill with this bug that's going around so it was just me and the boy today.

Gooey and slick it was... we rode out of Hawrelak Park on the south side by the river's edge and it was like paste.

I decided to go easy on the boy (he's still gettinghis legs) and we ended up doing 20 km and went as far as the Jantzen Nature Centre.

I managed to snap a few pics when I wasn't dodging tree roots.

The old girl... before I added 10 pounds of mud.

A little trail shot... it was all goo and tree roots.

It's nice to see the trees greening up too.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

P.S. - I'm thinking that we MTBR'ing Edmontonians should plan a little get together or at least develop some sign we can use to identify each other when we're blazing down the wonderful trails we have here.

mtbr member
    Well glad to hear that the trails in Edmonton are so sweet and so numerous. When I last visited in 2004 I had only just started MTBing and was still very into computer gaming and didn't get out to trying to get any rides in till almost when I was leaving and visited a few shops and found out Edmonton has a very good trail system.

Oh well at least now I know and will definitely be looking for some rides next time (hopefully next trip will be permanent for me) Look forward to biking in the spring/summer/fall and playing hockey in winter and spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Double-metric mtb man
    Whewee! Supposed to get up to 22 here tomorrow. That should help dry up some of the mud... only to have it rain on saturday

Oh well.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

I am so glad I opted for the full meal deal when I went for a haircut yesterday... #2 on the sides and mebbe half an inch left on top. It was like adding AC for my head.

It was gorgeous today and just perfect for some commuting... I hung up the knobbies and rigged the road tires and put on 30 km with the paniers, gear, and tailbag loaded up. The extra weight realy helps with building up the legs.

Cruising at 30 - 35 kmh wasn't difficult at all (it was pretty calm today) and I managed some sprints to 45 kmh although those made the old legs burn a little. I'm still not in the shape I want to be in.

So despite the fun I had touring aboutI can't wait to hit the trails on Saturday as if the weather holds, things on the trail should be downright heavenly.

This city really is a bikers dream no matter how you like to ride.

Double-metric mtb man
    In spite of this nasty cold, I still got out to rid a bit yesterday. My wife has the same bug, but she's not as far along in the recovery, so we took it really easy and just cruised through the Mill Creek/Hazeldean/Ritchie areas for a bit. When she'd had enough, we swung by the house and I went off for a bit more myself.

I wasn't ready to go up against Scona Hill with the chest cold still hanging on, but I went down Mill Creek a bit and came out far enough down to give my legs a decent climb.

Sheesh, I can't wait to shake this cold and get the new bike... I've got some more trails to check out

Btw 65-er -> I know what you mean about the haircut...I am generally running the same fashion.

I'll be able to ride again once I get my wheel back from tensioning - come on Western Cycle... I'm staring at the phone waiting for YOU to call. It's like waiting for parts - agh.

I guess I shouldn't be riding anyway with all the exams I have.

mtbr member

Exams

You should'nt be wasting your time on MTBR either.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member

Exams

You should'nt be wasting your time on MTBR either.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

It looks like it might be a little cool and damp today but on the bright side...I think the sun just came out, maybe we won't get soaked, and tomorrow will be good for riding. I'm thinking I need a little rest time today so I'm ready for tomorrow and Monday.

But then again...the sun is shining...

I booked off the afternoon yesterday and took a 40 km spin where I spent a good deal of time blasting around the upper trails at Riverdale despite being rigged more for my commute than any hard core single track. Minor traction issues aside, it was a great workout and next time I go I'll be properly rigged and will take the camera since it's a beautiful area.

I also met some nice folks on the trail; I was impressed by a real 65'r who, besides being a very interesting chap, set a pretty good pace over the kms we rode together.

I also met up with a fellow who was taking his first ride on his new Specialized S-works E5... I'm thinking that if Ferrari made bikes this would be it.

Is there a drooling smiley ?

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang....looks like it could be a cool one this weekend

I just get the new set of wheels and I barely geta chance to get out and enjoy them before the weatherman starts into the "rain, rain and more rain" routine

Oh well...give me a little longer to finalize my setting up of the new bike

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Dang is right... it was actually snowing a little this morning.

Yesterday was another one of those all urban, I wish I was on the trail days but I did manage to log nearly 60 km as my riding took me all the way to 23 Ave (Millwoods) where I hooked up with some of the guys to see Edmonton eliminate Detroit.

I cruised back after the game and from Whyte Ave to Jasper Ave it was nothing but cars and people on the street celebrating and one would have thought we'd won the Stanley Cup and not just beat the Dead Things in 6 games.

The cold and rainy weather couldn't dampen anyone's spirits last night.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Saw an article on Rabbit hill lift access for this summer.

Mar 2006
    I went out and did the fort saskatchewan trail yesterday and had a blast. it wasnt too mucky and was nice if ya just want to go riding for an hour or so.

Double-metric mtb man
    I had a chance to ride the trail between Emily Murphy and Kinsmen Parks today (for work, even!). Beautiful trail and not too bad of trail conditions other than the water seeping from the slope (just what I was looking for) and the couple of patches of ice in some of the shady spots.

Oh well, nice ride, but all the samples in my backpack made the trip back to the office a pretty good workout.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Mike,

Yesterday we took a speedy little ride from Dawson Park to the south end of Millcreek Ravine (and back) and then I went across the river and over to Emily Murphy Park before I headed back via my usual route (Victoria Hill).

I couldn't believe that there was any place in the city where there was still snow but it looks like it will take a little more warm weather to get rid of it all.

I took the day off today as I have been overdoing things a little this week... I put on something close to 140 km in three days of riding and took the off time today to do some maintainence on the old girl who my daughter has christened "Jenny".

I'm all rigged for an am ride tomorrow morning and I think that Riverdale is on our list of places to play in... I can't wait to hit the dusty trail and perhaps heading out to the Fort might be an option.

Double-metric mtb man
    65r

Cool...I've been cranking up the km's on the new Cake myself. I'll have to take some pictures of my ride tomorrow and post them this weekend (sub 31lb without the night riding light, almost spot on 33lb with...way sweet as my HT was 33.5 lbs with nothing on it).

If it weren't for all the errands and stuff I have to do tomorrow, I was thinking of going to Hawrelak Park, dropping onto the trails and winding my way down to the Capilano Bridge along the south side of the river. I was actually invited to join a couple guys on DH set-ups as they rode the Snake tonight, but my legs weren't quite up to it after this week of riding and so I opted to just finish my ride with a climb from near the Muttart footbridge up to the 87th Ave access to Mill Creek.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Well...we put on 40 km in the drizzle and wound our way from Dawson Park to the old Strathcona Science Centre making sure we took every little bit of singletrack and trail we could find. The only good reason for pavement is to speed your trip to the next little trail section.

The stretch below the science centre by the river's edge was a fun bit to ride as it was pretty much dry when we hit it and from there we rode, hiked, and hauled the bikes up to the centre which doesn't look like it sees many visitors since it's been closed. It was a tad bit creepy.

Other than that...I need to know why the city is trying to improve all the unimproved trails by widening them, lowering the grades, and laying down gravel ? It's not that they need to be accessible enough for golf carts and I think they should be left in their natural unimproved and basically perfect condition.

We went through Kinniard Ravine and were gobsmacked to find they had layed gravel down the length of the trail... mebbe it's just me but I don't mind a little dirt or mud, some rocks, and perhaps a few roots jumping up at me when I'm blazing down the trail.

You can send feedback to the city through their website and I think they need to hear from those of us who cycle and hike and feel we don't need our trails levelled, gravelled, or (gasp) paved. It's these unimproved natural trails that make riding here as much fun as it is as I think we already have enough pavement.

I'm working on getting my friends hooked on riding.

We did the Groat Road trail, most of McKinnon Ravine, and McKenzie ravine today. Conditions were almost perfect. I prefer riding in weather like this to the scorching summer sun.

Big stupid grins the whole time, and no attitude problems whatsoever from the group. I think they'll show up for the next Terwillegar group ride, too .
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Double-metric mtb man

A shot of the new ride

Hey 65'r

Do you know if you can get up to the Beverly bridges from down in the Sun Ridge area? I know that the trail goes to the bridges at the bottom of the hill, but I have never had a chance to look if there is any way up.

As promised, here is a shot of the new ride, now that it's loaded with all my junk (33lb as shown, a little under 31lb without the night riding light).

I've been thinking....if we wanted to be able to ID each other on the trail, perhaps some pink surveyors tape on the far left end of the handlebar? No other reason to have it and it wouldn't be in the way. Just a thought.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Hey Mike...that is a damn sweet looking ride !

I'm in the middle some spring cleaning here today and after a trip to the dump have to pick up a load of cedar chips but was thinking that there might be some time for a late afternoon spin since it's so bloody nice outside. The boys are eager to go for a ride so I'm hoping we can get a few hours in and I'm fried enough from yesterday that they might be able to keep up with me today.

The surveyor's tape is a good idea except I'd have to track some down... if we were to meet up I'm the not so old guy on the old school Trek with the big k-rock sticker on the left (road side) of his (black) helmet.

Even better... I'll send you a PM with my cel number and perhaps we can look at hooking up one of these fine days since we seem to ride much of the same terrain. Perhaps we can even look at investigating that Beverly bride area since I'm not sure of what's there either.

We might have to organize a little Edmonton gathering of MTBr's too.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, did a bit of a ride in the rain tonight....

Went down Mill Creek to Connors Road, used the James Mac to get across to the other side of Scona Rd (those stairs coming off of the James Mac are sweet on a FS, btw). Rode down through Queen E and Kinsmen Parks, down through Emily Murphy and into Hawrelak. Didn't do a lot of single track....too squishy tonight with all the moisture we've had.

Going to Hawrelak, I found myself down on the lower trail between Emily Murphy and HawrelaknPark below the golf course...Where I came onto the trail, I didn't see any no bike signs, but I did see one when I got to the next switch over and so I went up onto the graveled multi-use trail. All I can say is that lower trail is an absolute pain to ride....it isn't soft enough to leave a rut, but it sure is grippy on the wheels of a bike! With it being wet...yowsa!

That's sure nice country along the river...I'll have to head back when it is a little more dry and explore some of the single track I passed up due to the conditions. Who knows, maybe I'll see 65'r or someone else along the way

Mar 2006
    im a pretty beginner rider and was wondering if there were any other beginner-intermediate riders in edmonton that would like to go riding with me?

mtbr member

Dirt Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Chick
    im a pretty beginner rider and was wondering if there were any other beginner-intermediate riders in edmonton that would like to go riding with me?
    I am old, broken down, slow, and will be away 3 weeks. 1 week will be riding in WA. There has been talk of a Edmonton MTBR gathering and that might be interesting.

However there was a feature on Dirt Girls mtb club on TV last night.

http://www.dirtgirls.ca/DGfaqs/

If I was a girl I would be signing up. A good club is lots of fun
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I did a little exploring tonight...

I don't get to do the trails between Muttart and the Dawson Bridge often, but tonight I went exploring. I made some wrong turns (dang, some of those downhill runs are sick....especially if you're trying to go *up* them) and there are a few areas that are a wee bit wet (half a wheel worth of mud, in one spot), but otherwise it was an absolutely fantasic ride. I'm going to have to bring my camera next time!

I didn't go nearly as far as I usually do, nor nearly as fast, but then again that is the fun of going on a voyage of solo exploration every once in a while. Besides, I had to get the new bike, and me, properly dirty

I am thinking though, that I may want to get a set of Panaracers on the bike...the stock Bontrager ACX's aren't an overly deep tread and the lugs seem more closely spaced, so when it starts getting soft, they pack up and don't clean out well (I still have mud from the above mentioned mud hole attached to the tire 6 km and some fast asphalt later). Anyone have any other suggestions for decent XC/light DH tires for our trails? If so, drop me a PM.

Have fun and keep riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mike, it sounds like you found Ewok Forest. I found those trails a few weeks ago when bike geocaching.

I put some panaracer fire xcs on my new build, which I think sort of stands out on our trails. So far I'm happy with them on the trails. They certainly aren't the best for pavement, but are great on the singletrack.

I think we ride the same trails and are likely to run into eachother at some point.

My new build has some unique features, particularly the red rims and red Raceface stem.

rb_dakar.jpg

It isn't finished yet, but close enough to enjoy.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Seeing all these swanky new rides makes me feel pretty pedestrian since I've been working on some old 3 speed cruisers of late... I was running errands on a BRC Suburban this morning (a "ladies" bike no-less) and quite enjoyed the retro feel and the fact the full fenders and guards really kept the water off.

The other is a '79 Raleigh Triumph in superb shape that I'll be giving to my wife on Sunday so that she has a nice ride for those little spins around the neighbourhood.

Speaking of superb... I'm looking for a men's Raleigh Superbe or Sports model in good shape that I can rig for my commute, shopping, and little trips around the 'hood so if anyone sees one for sale here in the city (or close by), I'd appreciate knowing about it.

My kids thought they were the coolest bikes and there's was no way they could keep up with me when we went for a test spin... the drive ratios on these old bikes are extremely high and it really takes some power to get those steel wheels spinning.

I should be hitting the trails on the weekend so perhaps I'll be passing or will get passed by some of you folks. I think I'll take the Trek as I can't see these old cruisers handling any of the single track.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, if we do run across each other, I went ahead and put a couple of wraps of pink surveyors' tape around my left handlebar at the outboard end (where a passing rider should be able to see it).

If you see me, by all means, say "Hi."

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey Ribald, that's a nice looking Jamis XC Comp. The red stands out with the silver and black.

Myself, I'm tempted to get the blue sidewall Panny's to match the blue frame of the bike....plus I'm thinking of some of the blue Hope QR's (seat and skewers) in the future (hey, there is nothing wrong with a little bling, right?)

Seriously, though....I'm really happy with the new ride...because I didn't know the trails, I sure made use of the travel the other night.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I was back out there again today. Some of the runs are a bit wet and the stock tires (as well as my clipless pedals) packed right up Other than the traction issues It was a faster and longer ride today...I had a better idea of where some of the trails went and what to expect. I'm also starting to get an idea of how the Cake climbs the steep stuff. Wow, when you're standing up and hitting the pedals hard, you can sure feel the difference between a FS and a HT...but on the other hand, the roots don't bother you as much

Dang, we have a fine city for biking in....most things are easy enough to get to on a bike and we've got a killer trail system through the river valley and creeks.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike... I'd rate Edmonton as one of the best cities on earth for cyclists as we have a good deal of everything for every type of rider from recreational to hard core.

The amount of clay we have here makes it nearly impossible to not have the wheels pack up to some degree as the stuff is like velcro and sticks to everything.

I'm pretty happy with my bargain Kendas as they fling the mud off pretty well and the Trek's fork and brake layout seems to keep things from getting bogged down too badly. I run these tires when I'm really looking at doing a lot of singletrack and downhill riding as they do increase the downhill stability and braking.

When I upgrade the wheels I was looking at fitting some Specialized Armadillos as they should cover everything from commuting to single track riding and some preliminary tests with other bikes fitted with these seem to indicate these offer excellent traction and mud resistance besides some good high speed abilities. The fact they are virtually puncture proof is also a big selling point for me.

If things are dry, I can even climb things amazingly well with the Schwalbe hybrid I run for the street to the amazement of some of the guys I ride with who run far knobbier tires. The biggest issue with the hybrid tires is that you give up some lateral control and braking on steep downhill sections but who needs brakes anyways ?

More than anything, practicing my climbing technique and making small adjustments to the bike setup seems to have the greatest effect on how well I have been able to improve in this area.

It also builds up the legs at an astonishing rate... I did my weigh in yesterday and appear to have gained nearly 2 kilos in the past 6 weeks.

I'm really looking forward to doing some riding with the local MTBr's.

Cheers!

Anyone up for an evening ride on Wednesday?
    EDIT: Never mind. I had forgotten that I was busy.

Oh, I have some pics on my blog from Canada Olympic Park (opening day on Saturday, woohoo), and from Terwillegar today. What a great riding weekend it's been.

http://broken-spokes.blogspot.com

I have some MTBR stickers, but I don't really want to put them anywhere on my bike. I'm going for the clean look .
    Last edited by Excel; 05-15-2006 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Hey Ribald, that's a nice looking Jamis XC Comp. The red stands out with the silver and black
    The red wasn't so much planned as cheap. The bike was bought as parts on ebay and bargain bins. The rims were $4 each, so I decided the bike needed red. I'm happy with how it turned out.

On my old Specialized Ground control I was using a Kenda Cujo on the back that although heavy was great in the mud. The tire is hanging on my wall now, if you want to try it you can have it. It's pretty wide... 2.4", but I think it weighs in at over a kilo.

Sounds like I missed out on a great weekend for riding.. damn spring landscaping.

I'm finally switching over to clipless. I never thought of the mud issue. I picked up some shoes and pedals on the weekend and on the short ride through the neighbourhood and to work I've avoided the rule that learning to use clipless pedals necessitates falls.

Double-metric mtb man
    Good on you for trying clipless. I went that way last year. The same mud that has been a pain for the ACX tires packed up the pedals and cleats a bit, but once I got in I was able to learn a fair bit about where the new ride likes to climb the steep stuff. You'll fall over a couple times, but after that, you'll be good to go.

If I can find the good Panaracers in blue, I'll likely throw a set on my Cake....they did well in the winter and with the deeper / wider spaced lugs they didn't pack up as bad the last time I rode them (on the HT).

Thanks for the offer on the Cujo....I'll consider it.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I put in a considerable bit of riding today hitting the downtown early to meet with a friend, ran a ton of errands, and then went for a burn after work with one of my co-workers.

The trails we hit were in beautiful shape and although I rode the old Trek all day, my ride home was considerably older....

This is the '79 Raleigh Triumph I found last week (and had stored at work) and I am really hoping to find her older and bigger brother somewhere for myself.

She's in beautiful shape for being 27 years old, there's hardly a scratch on her and she ran as smooth as silk once I topped up the oil in the rear hub.

Technology has come a long ways but there's still much to be said for the simplicity and the extremely solid construction these old and very utilitarian Raleighs were known for.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Can anyone believe it's going to be 31 degrees here tomorrow?

My tires might melt into the pavement before I make it into the valley and onto the trails tomorrow if it's that hot... I was thinking that a night ride might be in order because it's finally cooling down and I have a new light to play with.

I did some shopping and have to say I love MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) as they have some really excellent gear at excellent prices. I think the equivalent in the U.S. is REI.

I replaced the old v-brakes with MEC cartidges... cost was $7.00 and besides offering great stopping power the replacement cartridges are a mere $2.00 a pair.

I also picked up a new front 5 LED light and the light output is simply amazing. I run an LED light day and night as the brightness of the LED lighting makes you more visible even in the middle of the day.

Other than that... in one more week I'll be hitting the trails in Jasper (for a week !).

Cheers!

Double-metric mtb man
    The Mrs. and I went for a ride tonight as well. She just got her ride back from a tune up, so she's happy. We didn't go far....more or less a run to see if she could make the ride to and from where she works down near Telus Field.

It wasn't a hard ride, but at least I had a chance to play on the stairs of the James Mac Bridge along the way (hehehe...I like how much nicer stairs are on a FS machine )

I'm not going to be able to ride tomorrow (today now, I guess)....volunteering at Rexall for the game, so I'll have to drive in order to get there at a decent time. I sure hope I can find a good set of earplugs....it's gonna be loud!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well... I just rolled in after an enjoyable 25 km burn from the ranch; I went down Groat Road (at obscene speeds) and into the river valley, over to 149th via the ravine, then over for a Tim's at the University before heading back to the ranch.

I forgot how much fun blasting through the dark at 40 - 50 kmh can be and the lights performed marvelously... without them I never would have seen the University bike cop on his patrol and could have run him right over.

I was amazed to see quite a few other cyclists who must have also been practicing stealth techniques as few if any were running any kind of lighting and a number of them had nothing reflective on them at all.

If it's gonna be as hot as they say then this weeks riding is definately going to take on a nocturnal theme...I've got new batteries in the charger as we speak.

Mike... if the noise at Rexall is going to be too much for ya, I'd be happy to take your place. This city is going to go insane when the Oiler's beat the Sharks tomorrow and then it's going to be duck hunting season.

After that, we know that Carolina, Buffalo, and Stanley Cup don't even belong in the same sentence.

Double-metric mtb man
    65'er,

As Don Cherry says: "it wuz a beauty!" What a great game...yeah it was loud, but that's quite alright. Living near Whyte Ave, it was louder trying to get home

Well, I got done one of my inside projects....now I think it is time to do a little more serious work on the bike. I got things set up ballpark, but now, it's time to get serious. I've found some nice segments of trail where I can work the suspension and a good, steep hill to see what happens coming down and on a stand-up climb.

If anyone has a moderate ride planned for saturday morning, please let me know....I might tag along.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I won't be able to go riding on Saturday morning other than taking a ride to work on the new / old Raleigh Superbe. "Jenny" (the name my daugter gave my old Trek) might get jealous if I don't take her for a spin but then again, one reason bikes are better then women is because they don't mind if you go and ride another one... LOL.

I don't think she's geared very well for the extreme hills but I put 50 km on her today hitting everything but the single track in Millcreek Ravine.

We are going to have to hook up after I get back from Jasper.

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang, I know just where that photo was taken, 65'er...I was through there today in my riding.

I'm thinking in getting ready for the 18 Bridges Tour (my own concoction) this summer, I'll likely ride down Keillor to Fort Edmonton and then try to find my way down to the Anthony Henday Bridges near Terwillegar. Should be able to make a nice loop once I get back to Fort Edmonton by coming back via Beuna Vista and Laurier Parks, going across the foot bridge to Hawrelak and then running the Emily Murphy-Kinsmen-Queen E-Mill Creek corridor to get back home.

I played around with the suspension on the Cake last night...a little less plush, but a heck of a lot more efficient and feels better too. To test it, I made a run out to the Dawson Bridge on the north, crossed to the south and then ran the lowest trail (along the river) on the way back. Glad I had the light, though....it was getting dark in the canopied sections at 10pm.

Anyway, hope to see you out on the trails

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I just rolled in after another epic ride on the Raleigh...

Lemme see... started at home, ran some errands, then rode to Whyte, then over to the University where I caught the LRT to the Commonwealth, then over to my new volunteer job (where I get to build bikes for kids), then all the way to St. Albert to do some landscaping and watch hockey, and then home. I have no idea how far I rode but I figure it was at least 70 km because St Albert to Rexall is 18 km one way.

Somewhere between Rexall and St. Albert I tweaked something in my left knee and it was painful enough on the ride home that I couldn't pedal in anything but 1st gear and had to walk up hills I normally wouldn't blink at. The wind wasn't helping either.

It was a good thing I swapped the factory pedals for some old school alloy racing pedals and toe clips as I basically had to pedal home with one leg.

If it wasn't for the bummed out knee I would still have more than enough jam to ride some more which says a lot for the old girl's ridability (despite her weight). Without the tailbag and all my gear she was 41 pounds. My tailbag and all my gear weighs 8.

That makes her 20 pounds heavier than my Trek but still, a beautiful ride..

Like I said... epic riding.

Double-metric mtb man

... and if we just ... Little longer ride....just what the doc ordered :)

Well,

Wed was a fun night...I started off in Old Strathcona visiting some friends and then decided to go for a ride...I snuck down Keillor Rd (hit just shy of 62 kph and then had to reign it in a bit...the Little Bits were out for a ride), went up the trail by Fort Edmonton and then up the hill at the other end. At Riverbend Rd, I headed south and, with a little side jaunt to the LDS Temple, I ended up down at Rabbit Hill Rd. I figured that was enough for the night (with having to do the return run) so headed back.

I came back via the Quesnell (btw, the FS handles the s. abutment climb like a dream), through Laurier and Beauna Vista, across the bridge to Hawrelak, down Groat to River Valley Rd and then back across at the LRT bridge. Stayed on the south side until the foot bridge at Muttart then climbed my way back up Mill Creek to home.

In total it was a good 38+ km....not bad work out with the fresh set of tires on the bike. Only problems I hit were running out of water and finding out my stem was loose (handlebars started rotating). Thank goodness for the trail tool kit and the public fountains in some of the parks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...dang, Edmonton is sweet for biking.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Good morning !

I'm heading out to Terwillegar to participate in the Corporate Challenge Mountain Bike race this am... I'll be riding 20 km while my team-mates will be doing 16 and 8.

I haven't been doing too much off roading of late (besides riding in Jasper) as I've been getting to know my new girl a little better...she's a 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix and I've been putting on some really good (and sometimes insane) mileage since she's such a sweet ride.

Edmonton truly is a sweet city for riding whether it's on the trails or on the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    so, basically if i park in terwillegar, what direction should i point to find some xc goodness? my wife currently goes to school at u of a, and i am coming up from calgary and am bringing my bike next weekend. i want to find dirt that will keep me busy for a few hours. i read the thread and all these other places sound familiar, but not enough to take a chance and try to find it. is terwillegar a good bet? thanks folks

Here's a Terwillegar map:

http://www.orienteer.ab.ca/maps/Terw...ileg01web.html

My favorite trail is Fireman's - climb the fireroad heading out of the northeast corner of the park. Take one of the trails on the left leading down, and ride the trail parallel to the river.

My other favorite trail is the main trail that heads south through the park. You'll eventually hit the Anthony Henday bridge if you go this way. There are trails that continue along the river, but you will eventually hit a golf course. I haven't explored past there, because we couldn't find a trail that goes around it. You should probably turn around when you hit the bridge.

Try to hook up with another group if you're just riding along by yourself. I've done this a few times, and it makes Terwillegar even more fun.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll have to keep that in mind for this summer....is the one that heads to the bridges the same one that leads towards Fort Edmonton Park?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks for the info Excel! i've walked around terwillegar a couple times; i'm looking forward to getting on the bike and roaming around.

Nope, it's the trail that heads south, out of the park, towards the new Anthony Henday bridge. You can cross the bridge on the swanky new pedestrian bridge underneath it, but I don't think there are trails on the other side yet.

The fireroad out of the park is the one that heads towards Fort Edmonton.

(pics linked for size)

Here is me riding Fireman's earlier in May:

http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esak/terwil...ay14%20020.jpg

View of the new pedestrian bridge under the new Anthony Henday bridge:

http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esak/terwil...ay14%20012.jpg

View of the bridge itself:

http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esak/terwil...ay14%20009.jpg

Terwillegar This Weekend

Alright guys, I'm going to hit Terwillegar this weekend. I'm trying to hold a group ride for some friends, and I have one guaranteed show-up so far (woohoo!).

If anyone wants some riding buddies, meet us at the Shell Station in Riverbend Square at 12:00pm on Saturday.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I too am planning on hitting Terwillegar this weekend but am going out on Sunday morning as I am booked to be in the shop all day Saturday building bikes for the kidlets.

We haven't decided where we're gonna hook up on Sunday morning but I'll post that location once we've decided where that will be in case anyone wants to join us on the trail to Terwillegar.

And because we have roads too...

I've been logging some insane mileage on the "new" SGP (Super Grand Prix) and loving every minute of it... I swapped the stock Raleigh 42/52 double for a Sugino VT 50 triple and upgraded the rear deraileur with a Suntour AR to improve the performance and preserve the vintage and nearly mint Raleigh deraileur. Sugino really did make some beautiful parts (and and the shifting on the VT 50 is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

All that is left is to turn what is a very rideable 15 speed into a close ratio 21 speed.

The glory of the old Suntour 5 speed freewheel is that it's already designed to be upgradable to a 7 speed so there will be no space issues if I decide to add cogs or swap in a Shimano 7 with a tighter and smoother 12-28 range to up the gearing and smooth out the shifting through the middle.

It's all good no matter where or what I'm riding... tomorrow I'm going to take things easy and ride the old Superbe in to work just so that all the bikes get some attention this week.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got a service project on Sat am, so I doubt I'll make it to the ride.

I'll have to figure out the connection between the fire road and the trail to the Henday bridges next time I ride out that far. At least I have seen the turn off from that nice climb from the Ft. Ed. trail to Terwillegar...even if last time I didn't go down it (the trail to Terwillegar)...

I did a little bike path exploring on the way back from my St. John Ambulance Brigade meeting last night (hehehe...I'm going to game 4 for free: I love being a volunteer )....took the 124 St. bike trail from 118 Ave, down to Oliver Square, hopped the speed bumps and then came back to the south side using the old rail corridor (now street car corridor) along 109 St. Not a bad way to get to the area of the City Centre Airport, but some of the branches are a little low.

Hopefully we'll get a break from all the rain soon

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    That update...

We're going to be meeting at Millcreek Pool on Sunday at 9:30 ish in the parking lot with the intention of riding down to Terwillegar... anyone is welcome to come and join us for some moderate trail riding down the south side of the river and perhaps something a little more extreme once we hit Terwillegar.

Mike - I'm a stone's throw from the St John's building and actually live just off the 127 St bike path at 118th and use the 124thSt "bike highway" and 109th corridor on a near daily basis. One of these days we're gonna simply run into each other and mebbe you can even join us on Sunday morning in the great church of the outdoors.

When I'm heading down to Millcreek I often take the 124th and 109th corridor, cross the high level bridge, head east to 99th street along the bike path, go north to Whyte, head east again, and then enter the ravine at Millcreek pool.

Jun 2006
    every 1 in e town should get together and go do some free ridin

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well...the boy and I just rolled in after his first lesson in road biking and despite getting completely soaked in the rain we had a blast. I picked up an old Raleigh Criterium(12 speed) today and after checking everything for roadworthiness we were off to Hawrelak park for a test spin. The boy had an absolute blast despite his once telling me he'd never ride one of "those bikes" and I think he's a convert... methinks he really liked the speeds (35-45 kmh) we were hitting tonight.

The Criterium a pretty nice bike in that it came with 27 inch Weinmann rims, Continental sport tires, is outfitted with Shimano 600 components and might even be a few ounces lighter than my Raleigh SGP.

So besides all that... I hope the skies clear off as I am really looking forward to getting off the road and hitting the guranteed to be muddy trails at Terwillegar tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 06-10-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Jul 2006

Sure ! I am looking for people to ride arround River Valley and so on

I am international Student here in Edmonton and i would love to meet new people to do some bike riding and other fun activities as well !

My riding skill is novice to intermediate I guess

I hate crazy climbs allthou i did climb the St. Gotthardo Pass in Switzerland once ( I allmost died, what died for sure where my tires once we went down this Giant Mountain Chain CrAzY x_X !!!

I love relaxing trails and sweet downhill / freeride paths.

Have A Drink On Me
    I just got back into the sport after a very long absence, I thikn I'll head down to Terwillagar Park tomorrow to check it out.

If you see a guy wobbling around on this ( just picked it up sat.) say hi, but don't scare me I may fall over!

Regards

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It's nice to see a few new riders in Edmonton and the get togethers we have had so far have been really enjoyable and we've done a nice mix of road and off road riding.

I just rolled in after a very refreshing evening ride on my Criterium which has really become one of my favourite rides.

Since getting it in April I have customized it by replacing the 27 inch wheels with 26 x 1.75's (for a smoother and softer ride) and converted the drivetrain from a 12 speed to a six speed.. it's running a 3 speed internal gear hub with a double cogset in the rear which gives me all the gearing I need to handle my commute, longer road trips, and riding on the unpaved multi use trails.

It's been a while since any of us have hooked up so perhaps we might look at getting together next Sunday the 30th ?

I'm up for any kind of riding people might want to do but it has been a while since I've hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd be happy to join that ride SixtyFiver, but I'm going to be camping next weekend. I just got back from a week in Banff National Park (without bikes... it was either bikes or dog and the girlfriend insisted on the dog...).

Hopefully next time.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I've seen that dog and see how she might take up a fair bit of space... there will always be more Sundays for riding.

mtbr member
    You guys do know that PedalHeads bicycle shop on 85th Ave & 109St does group rides every Wednesday evening (not 100% sure on the day, but I think I remember Wednesday) Anyway give them a call if you're interested (780)433-2085, they seemed like a really nice group of guys and were very helpful when I was in there on my last visit to Edmonton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Apr 2004
    Yup, Wednesdays at 6:00 behind the shop at Pedalhead on 109th street, its right across from the running room. People split up based on their ability and there are typically 5-6 groups ranging between beginner and ride until your face falls off. Afterwards many people head to Originial Joe's just near the museum for a deal on burgers and beer. Its a good time, and everyone is welcome as long as you have a helmet and a bell and are self-sufficient (food, water, repair kit) for a 2-3 hour ride.

Ave.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    The guys at the Hardcore also do a (novice) ride on Monday nights that takes folks through Millcreek Ravine and does hit much of the singletrack sections.

More importantly...who's up for a spin this Sunday and what times are good for people?

We have been meeting up at Millcreek pool as it's reasonably central, the ravine is a good warmup, and it's also a good place to start if one is going on a road trip,

Have A Drink On Me
    I think I'll pass on this one. I would like to get a few rides in by myself to get reaquainted with the sport and also the new bike. My fitness level at this point is all so pretty poor, so I wouldn't want to hold anyone up.

Maybe next time.

Regards

P.S. Anyone get caught in the rain today?.. I headed down to Millcreek after work today and got poured on.
    Last edited by RParker; 07-25-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RParker
    I think I'll pass on this one. I would like to get a few rides in by myself to get reaquainted with the sport and also the new bike. My fitness level at this point is all so pretty poor, so I wouldn't want to hold anyone up.

Maybe next time.

Regards

P.S. anyoen get caught int he rain today?.. I headed down to Millcreek after work today and got poured on.
    ohh man, we got soaked here in the west end...it was pretty bad, almost to the point of completely puddle covered streets again....

Double-metric mtb man
    I would join up, 65'er, but I've been going nuts with Capital Ex volunteering and will be dead on my feet...I'll likely be in church or bed, depending on the time.

I am getting in a few rides these days, though...i.e "the big one" last monday and a run out for the "River Valley Loop" near Ft. Edmonton yesterday (I had wanted to hit Terwillegar, but didn't have the time).

I'm in for Sunday. Hopefully the clipless pedals + shoes come in the mail by then. I've been itching to try them out all week.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    RParker - I figure that if the ride goes as usual we'll probably put on 20-25 km at a moderate pace (with a good number of little breaks) and what better way is there to get acquainted with the new bike and a few other Edmontonians ?

I'm looking at going out a little later on Sunday afternoon as I know I'll have to catch some z's after I finish up work at 6am.

How does meeting up at 4 o'clock at Millcreek pool sound ?

There seems to be some interesting trails in the West End around Meadowlark (that go right down to the river) that I'd like to go and check out.

Anyways... let's use that PM feature so we can co-ordinate our location and time...I'm on the north side so if meeting somewhere else or at a slightly different time works better we can surely do that too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just found/joined the forums a few days ago, but a sunday ride sounds like a good idea.

Rob

Have A Drink On Me
    I'll give it some thought, I also have to check to see what the boss has planned for me for sunday.

Regards
    Robb

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    Anyways... let's use that PM feature so we can co-ordinate our location and time...I'm on the north side so if meeting somewhere else or at a slightly different time works better we can surely do that too.
    I'm on the northside (just south of Castledowns), and I'll probably ride down 97th to get to Millcreek Pool. If you're going to ride from the northside, do you want to meet up earlier?

I *could* drive, too, but where's the fun in that ? Gas prices just went up AGAIN .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    I'm on the northside (just south of Castledowns), and I'll probably ride down 97th to get to Millcreek Pool. If you're going to ride from the northside, do you want to meet up earlier?

I *could* drive, too, but where's the fun in that ? Gas prices just went up AGAIN .
    I'm on the northside as well - just east of Northgate mall. Meeting up for the ride to millcreek works for me.

Rob

mtbr member
    Is the ride on for Sunday?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Is the ride on for Sunday?
    Yes. A couple of us are planning to meet in-front of Futureshop @ 3pm and then bike down to Millcreek.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Heck...I live on the north side too.

Futureshop sounds like a great place to meet up so I'll aim to be there at 3 pm and we can head out from there.

Just look for the casual looking guy in the nondescript Trek.

Have A Drink On Me
    Not lookin' too nice out there, pouring here on the southside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not lookin' too nice out there, pouring here on the southside.
    Coming down pretty good on the northside too. Raingauge in the yard shows > 5mm

It's a little too wet today I think.

Weather Radar
    ^Looks like it's going to stick around for a few hours.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It was looking like such a good ride...

I figured that no-one would show with the rain (and the cold) today and opted for plan B which was a good power snooze... perhaps we can look at re-scheduling something for later in the week or next weekend.

I think I'm going to spend my evening in the shop and start building a nice cruiser for my friend... she wanted a vintage ride and I thought I'd look at using a near perfect Raleigh frame and upgrade it with some beautiful and nearly mint 27 inch steel wheels I pulled off an mint, jet black, Raleigh Olympia (road bike) I was given.

The Olympia sits on a nice frame that will serve as a nice base for a SS project but until then I'll upgrade the bike with some nice alloy parts I've salvaged over the past few months and then I'll have a decent 3rd roadie here..

I'm currently restoring a Peugeot U-08. I'm not going for the completely stock look, but it should be a great ride once I find a stem, handlebars, and brake levers for it. Respraying a bike is proving more difficult than I thought it would be.

Anyone have some vintage stuff that might work? A new stem won't fit properly because the old French size is slightly bigger, but it's easy to sand down.

The old Norco 10-speed has knobby 'cross tires now - and I used to think multiuse trails were boring .

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'd love to see the Peugot... I presently have a mid to late 50's Peugot that I am still trying to get a positive ID on but with the info I have gleaned so far, am quite sure it is a PLX 10 Grande Touring model or something very close to that. The Simplex Derailleurs on this bike are a sight to behold... the front D is a Simplex Competition which is an honest to god suicide shifer while the rear is Simplex JUY 543 which was state of the art in it's day.

My only issue is that someone replaced the drop bars with cruiser bars but they did at least retain the original Mafac alloy levers.

Gettting the a stem and handlebars for the U-08 should not be exceedingly difficult as they were popular bikes sold in great numbers and there must be some parts kicking around... Relic's on Ft. Road and the Bicycle Commuter's Society might be able to help.

You should have a good selection of brakes and levers to choose from and I am partial to the old Dia Compes since they are abundant, inexpensive, and work rather well. Belvedere cycle had NOS Diacompe road sets and was selling them for $10.00 and if you can find something like Shimano 600's you'll be smiling all over the place.

I found an old Nishiki the other day that was fitted with nice 27 inch alloy riims, a decent Sugino alloy double crank, and some nice Dia Compes with the quick release... quite sadly, the frame has a serious dented and bent rear stay but for the $20.00 I paid I figure I'll get my money's worth as the good parts get moved to other bikes like the new Raleigh.

Mebbe the Nishiki's bars will even fit the Peugot... I am gonna have to get out to the shop and do some measuring.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    It just figures that our crappiest day of the summer had to fall on a day when we were planning on riding and now the sun is shining when most of us are probably stuck at work.

Last night was a good one as I managed to upgrade that Raleigh Olympus (a 10 speed) with a pair of nice Weinman alloy rims and Continental tires (that came off my Criterium), and also salvaged the Sugino alloy crankset (a 42 / 52) and Diacompe brakes from the Nishiki for the Olympus as well.

It was all plug and play and the new rear wheel dropped right in with perfect spacing and the rear D (friction) didn't even need to be adjusted to accomodate the 6 speed freewheel which gives me tighter and broader gearing.

It should be a nice bike to take out for those vintage road rides and serve as a nice spare / loaner for anyone who doesn't have a road bike but wants to go ona tour..

An interesting note... that old Peugot still feels just as light (or lighter) than the Olympus despite having steel rims, full fenders and lights, and a generator so this makes me think the bike has one seriously light frame.

I gues the Peugoit "Helium Tubes" are called this for a reason and you know I'm gonna have to strip it to the bones and weigh it out just to see what a 50 year old Peugot frame weighs..

mtbr member
    How about a ride Wednesday evening when the trails have dried out a bit? Anyone interested?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I usually go for a ride after work on Wednesday but am scheduled to be working until 8 pm... I could probably get away as early as 7 pm and perhaps we could look to hook up at Westmount mall and hit the river valley via Groat road ?

I just thinking that if I rode to Northgate I probably wouldn;t be there until about 7:30 as I can't make the same time on my Trek as I can on one of my roadies.

On that note...the Olympus checked out very nicely on tonight's little spin..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any rides planned for this weekend? I've been away the last three weekends, so have a lot of weekend stuff to catch up on, but the extra day should give me enough leeway to squeeze a few rides in.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'll be loitering by the bicycle racks on the central East side of Westmount mall at about 7:15 tonight and will plan on heading out at about 7:30 if I don't see anyone.

Cheers!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well...Perrin and I hooked up at the aforementioned location and went on what was probably a 30 km ride that took us down Groat and around Hawrelak Park and then we rode out of the Park along the south side of the river on that really nice singletrack which was pretty dry.

The trail is currently a dead end when it comes down to the river but it wasn't too difficult to hike over to where the trail resumes by the riding stables... this area looks to have some great potential for trail development.

On that note, we were talking about doing some trail work along the south side of the river by Dawson bridge as anyone who has ridden there knows that some of the potholes are big enough to consume tires to their axles and for the uninitiated can pose an extreme safety hazard.

I figure that if some newb gets injured down there the city will opt to pave the area to make if golf cart accessible and we don't want that do we?

Spo perhaps our next ride might involve a little stop along the south side where can pitch in and do a little trail work...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I took a spin on Wednesday night and came back through Ewok. It was pretty crowded with a couple of teams doing some training in there. I managed to avoid most of those holes, but somehow trashed the chain on my Jamis. Some trail work wouldn't hurt in there. I've never tried riding with a spade on my camelback.

I picked up a vintage mountain bike yesterday, and was planning on taking it through some singletrack tonight. The weather isn't looking cooperative though.

My new old ride:
    teamchance_3.jpg

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I think I know that spot... nice looking ride too.

I was thinking a folding pack shovel and a small saw might be the thing to carry on a few upcoming rides... I suppose I could rack up the Trek and use the saddle bags to carry the aforementioned tools to keep them off my back.

I'm riding Terwillegar tomorrow around 2:00pm tomorrow. If anyone wants to join up, shoot me a PM before 12:00pm.

Hopefully it's dry enough. Cheers!

Have A Drink On Me
    Got in a ride today with Excel and a friend of his..( very nice people ) I had a great time. Some of the climbs were beyond my ability but all in all I spent more time on the bike the off so I consider the day a success. I'm not going to lie I was a bit sore by the end of the ride, but that's what this is all about isn't it? If you don't hurt at the end you didn't try hard enough.

Regards
    Robb
    Last edited by RParker; 08-06-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Got in a ride today with Excel and a friend of his..( very nice people ) I had a great time. Some of the climbs were beyond my ability but all in all I spent more time on the bike the off so I consider the day a success. I'm not going to lie I was a bit sore by the end of the ride, but that's what this is all about isn't it? If you don't hurt at the end you didn't try hard enough.

Regards
    Robb
    That was a fun ride, dude. I didn't know there were puddles in Terwillegar big enough to swallow a wheel. Keep at it, and you'll be pinning those hills by next year.

We're (my friends and I) are probably going to hit the trails a few more times during the evening this week. You're welcome to come again. I'll let you know when we're going.

Double-metric mtb man
    I finally rode down to Terwillegar tonight from my place near Whyte Ave and Mill Creek Ravine. I didn't do a lot of exploring, but the run down from Whitemud Drive was nice....sheesh, the Cake sucks up all those roots and wash lines like nobody's business and if it weren't getting dark, I'd have probably flown down there faster. 65'er can attest to the fact that 40km/h in the dark, even with my big light, is about all you want to try on the local trails.

Who knows, if I can time it right to give me a little recovery time, I may be able to try the next ride down there. It's a good ride from my place, but some of the singletrack trailheads I passed looked absolutely great.

The climb back out, on the other hand...I think I will need to "chat" while people load their bikes before I do the climb out if I meet up for any of the rides there....it ain't super steep, but it is fairly long and the hills back to Fort Edmonton (or Mill Creek for that matter) just add to the workout.

Have A Drink On Me
    I'm on the shelf for a few days. I was out there four days in a row, time to let the aches and pains subside.

Mar 2006
    i think im gonna try to go to rabbit hill on thursday afternoon. if anyone else is gonna be there i ride a grey khs(see the little pic on the left) and a white helmet!! if not, wish me luck on eating dirt all day!

Nov 2005
    i think im gonna try to go to rabbit hill on thursday afternoon. if anyone else is gonna be there i ride a grey khs(see the little pic on the left) and a white helmet!! if not, wish me luck on eating dirt all day!
    i might get to see you eat dirt!!!

ill be there thursday if my plans go the way they are planed...ill be riding a green(ish) rocky mountian flow 2.0 with a black mace helmet and smith goggles...if you see me say hi...ill be there with mmMountainMatt (green flow) and my friend tim (asian with a norco manick)...and whoever else we can convince to hang with us losers

see you there

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    That ride out of Terwillegar can be a burner if you put everything you had into riding those trails... I am beginning to understand why people drive their bikes down to riding areas just so that they can save all their energy for the fun stuff.

I just got back from a week in Banff and Canmore and sadly, with the troops and luggage there was no room for the bike so I'm gonna have to hit the trails hard this weekend to make up for the riding deficit I'm experiencing.

The Critter is getting a little more work as I am going to install some flat bars and new off road tires I found to fit those 1 3/8 rims and then I'll have to see how this retro hybrid handles the MUTs.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Yesterday was a terrific day for riding but since I was too busy with the "honey do's" in the afternoon, I only managed to get out after dinner to take the Critter out for a decent spin down through the river valley and over to listen to what was happening at the Folk Festival... my free seat at the top of the hill was pretty awesome and the acoustics were perfect.

I was pretty pleased with how much the recycled bars and hybrid tires improved the Critter's performance on both the street and MUTs...at 1.6 (1 5/8) inches the tires are about as much as the bike's frame clearances can handle.

In other news...I found a really nice early 80's Bianchi road bike in near perfect shape... it was a 12 speed for about 5 minutes as I swapped in a triple front chain ring (Shimano Biopace Exage) that I had sitting in the shop. I have always liked the Biopace cranks and because she's an Italian (and a pretty one), I had to name her Sophia.

Sophia and I are probably going for a spin on Wednesday night after work so I was wondering if anyone else might be up for a little vintage road riding ?

Wednesday night sounds good. I've been ignoring the Peugeot lately due to lack of parts. I also need someone to weld the rear brake mount back between the seat-stays. Every shop I've been to is "too busy" to do it, and I don't own a welder, or know anyone that can.

I'll put some slicks back on the Norco, and I'll be ready Wednesday night.

Double-metric mtb man
    Where you guys meeting up? I may (heavy stress on the may) be able to join you, if you don't mind my modern, shiny FS rig hangin' with the retros

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'll be finishing up my work day over at Westmount tomorrow evening so if that location works we could meet on the west side by the main doors (at 7:00 - 7:15pm ?) unless that poses a problem for anyone.

Mike - I've seen how that modern shiny FS rig performs and know it doesn't have a problem keeping up on the road especially when it catches a good draft... It will also be good to see you as it's been a while since we've gotten together for a spin.

Excel - In case you are wondering, Sophia is a dark blue Bianci and I'll be the guy in the oh so fashionable and comfortable khaki shorts and turquoise Bell helmet.... I haven't decided on what shirt to wear but I'm thinking a matching blue would be the way to go.

I actually just came home from a late night spin on the old girl (we went all the way to Millcreek Ravine) and then I ended up spending a little time putting some new black gel wraps on the bars, replaced the front wheel nuts with some really cool vintage wing nuts, replaced the old metal post with an alloy one, and swapped the computer from the SGP so I can see how fast the old girl goes.

I have another 6 speed freewheel with some sligtly higher and more compact gearing that I might install in the am before I head off to Millwoods...it looks like I might put on 100 km tomorrow so the new girl and I will certainly get well acquainted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can include me in the "might show up" category. The Kuwahara's been collecting dust lately, and we can't have that.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Well... we all hooked up at Westmount (Ribald, Excel and myself) and went on a pretty enjoyable spin down through the river valley and up to McNaly high school. I have to say again that Ribald's Kuwahara is one of the sweetest vintage bikes I've ever seen.

It was quite a capper to what ended up being an 80 km day for me and I was pretty pleased with Sophia... the word from the SS pros at the LBS was that she would definately make a beautiful SS or dual and plans are in the works to either turn her into a SS or perhaps go the dual hub route with a fixie/freewheel or double freewheel setup.

Aside from that, I think we learned that it's important to check one's tires before they head out (especially if the bike has been collecting dust), that one should also pretest their air pumps before they ride, and that a few of us wished that we were still 20.

All in all I had a blast riding the vintage steel and am seeing more and more of them on the roads here as other people realize their virtues.

That was a great ride, and thanks for the old parts. I checked out Belvedere today and thery're clearing out lots of NOS vintage parts. I scored a Dia-Compe brake set, Shimano suicide shifters, some brake pads for the Peugeot, and a front/rear brake cable set ALL for under $20.

I also scored an alloy handlebar and stem at Relics for $2 - w00t.

ALSO, I have a line on an 1980's Bianchi road bike - I saw it at a garage sale. It comes with "Exage Sport LX" components, a Shimano 105 derailleur, Biopace chain rings, and the skinnest tires I've ever seen. It rides like the Kuwahara does (*drool*), and it's a lovely purple/neon green, with neon green bar tape - gotta love the 80's.

Only thing wrong is that it's a 62, and I usually ride 56 - 58, but it felt ok. Should I go for it for $75? It has a computer and tri-bars, too.

The only writing that could indicate the model was the word "Wilson" on the fork, and I can't find it on the 'net.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    An early to mid 80's Bianchi would have likely been equipped with higher end Suntour parts which were, in my opinion, far nicer than most of the stuff Shimano was putting out at the time.

The Exage, 105, and Biopace all seem like upgrades/relacements and the Wilson on the forks probably has nothing to do with the rest of the bike as I would suspect they were another upgrade or replacement. Wilson is a large distributor of components that is based in California and may have once offered house branded parts but that's only a guess.

If everything is in really good condition and the bike rides as nice as that Kuwahara then $75.00 seems like a pretty good deal but one would still be obliged to haggle a little.

With any used bike, I'd pay close attention to ensuring that the frame is straight and there isn't any damage (ie. cracks) and after that it's all about how the bike fits you and how it rides.

If everything checks out I'd consider it a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That Bianchi sounds like someone got a frame, and built it up. Exage Sports LX were late 80's, Biopace as well, but the 105 could be newer. The replacement fork also indicates upgraditis.

A Bianchi frame would likely go for at least $100 on ebay, if it's a base model. If it has Columbus SLX tubing, or 531, you'd be looking at considerably more.

The components aren't anything special, but it's a Bianchi. That makes up for it. Components are easy to replace.

I'd be wary about the frame size. I have a 63 cm Apollo, and after an hour in the saddle, being stretched out that much takes a toll.

Good thing I like them sized a little big, and I can always replace the stem if it's really bad. The Norco is pretty hard on my back after two hours or more in the saddle.

I'm going to check it out again right away. I hope they still have it, and I'll check out the tubing this time. I'll edit this post with pics if I get it.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    My road bikes range from 23 to 25 inches as I prefer them a little taller and longer in the top tube / cockpit area...

Sophia (my Bianchi) has a 24 inch (61 cm) frame while the SGP has a 63... the slight differences in geometry mean that both bikes are extremely comfortable and I've ridden both in excess of 70km and come off the bike feeling pretty comfy albeait tired.

My Critter is a 23 but has decent cockpit room and the longer stem and bar position makes for a perfect fit... the old stem and road bars made things a little too compact.

Picture time! Turns out it's a Bianchi Brava, older than 1988 because of the suicide shifters (unless the one I saw on eBay was upgraded). I could get $300 - $500 on eBay for it if I'm lucky, but it's going to be my triathlon bike. It's the fastest thing I've ever ridden - the tires are 700c x 20. I think replacing the bar tape would be sacreligious.

I'd like to put some SPD's on it, along with a shorter stem. The seat is a rock, but a very comfy rock.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~sak/bianchi/bianchi_gallery/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's a fine looking bike. I love the bianchi water bottle. Somebody obviously took care of that bike. Great score.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Way to go on the Bianchi !

The way you ride there will be guys on 2K - 3K machines wondering what just blew by them and I can't wait to see the bike in person.

My score of the day came with a little sticker that said "Ishiwata quad butted" that hearkens back to the days when we didn't need any stinking suspensions or disc brakes to go off roading...

I had stopped by Relics today to chew the fat and chat about bikes and while I was there relieved him of a mid eighties and certainly vintage Kuwahara Shasta that I had seen there a few weeks ago.

I spent a few hours going over the bike and after swapping in the road wheel from the Trek went for a little high speed spin around the block and have to say you couldn't wipe the smile off my face with a bat right now.

The boy and I are going to try and do some off roading tomorrow and I'll ost details when I know more of the when and the where.

Members who have read this thread: 0