Ride Report -- Into the Mystic / Lord of The Squirrels (Whistler, BC)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ride Report -- Into the Mystic / Lord of The Squirrels (Whistler, BC)

A ride report from Whistler's new amazing epic -- Into The Mystic / Lord of The Squirrels.The best adventure ride I've done in awhile and a must do if you're in that area!

Wheels & Water: Into The Mystic / Lord of The Squirrels - Whistler, BC

-Nate

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We're wrapping up an 8 day whistler trip and did The Lord of the Squirrels loop on our third day. I concur that it is a must do epic for xc and "all mountains" riders. You do need to be in reasonable shape. Im far from in good shape i used to be and took me 5 hours to grind the 5000+ foot climb. But that makes the arrival in the alpine landscape that much more of a reward. The downhill is a bit rough and somewhat blown out, but still fun. We bypassed the Happy Hour scenic bonus as the wildfire smoke had obliterated the views, and 5 hours was a long time to be out. I emptied a 3 liter bladder of water, a 20oz bottle of cytomax, and ended up squirreling a small bottled water from friend. Epic!

mtbr member
    Great write-up Nate. I saw a video of that ride about 10 days ago and got all excited, then you had to come around and start talking about 5000 feet of climbing. Now the idea scares the bejeezus out of me!! I'm sure we'll give it a shot on our trip but I'll be hiring a sherpa to carry extra water....and me if I collapse.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your in enough shape to handle being in the saddle as long as it took me, then you should be able to do it. If really worried about water could carry a purifier, theres plenty water in the lake up top. Jeezus though, as i was slogging up, waiting on side to take pic of riding buddy, some whippet on a hardtail with only one water bottle cruised by stand climbing! Here i was with 30/42 gear on 26" wheels wishing for lower.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Id recommend food and supplements too, if going through that much water youll be losing electrolytes. I could feel the twinges of hints of cramps near the end despite the supplements I was drinking and eating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    If your in enough shape to handle being in the saddle as long as it took me, then you should be able to do it. If really worried about water could carry a purifier, theres plenty water in the lake up top. Jeezus though, as i was slogging up, waiting on side to take pic of riding buddy, some whippet on a hardtail with only one water bottle cruised by stand climbing! Here i was with 30/42 gear on 26" wheels wishing for lower.
    Haha a buddy of mine was going for a challenge and did it in 3 hours roundtrip from his house, probably him. Great trail I've been up 4 times and counting!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nate dogg I just read your full review, laughed at the part about kids at the top, I think I talked to you as I'm one of the coaches that took that group of goofballs up haha

mtbr member
    Do you need to haul all that water with you or can you get water up in the alpine?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Do you need to haul all that water with you or can you get water up in the alpine?
    There's a handful of sources to top up, the river by the platform lookout on the climb up into the mystic, few streams and lakes along on the rocks. Should carry a fair amount though, I've always filled up the bladder in my pack and a bottle on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Great write up! I had the opportunity to go this summer and couldn't but it's definitely in my list of riding for next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Yup, the stream by the platform is the first source i can think. After that its a while but once you hit the alpine near the top are quite a number of ponds and i thinknthe big one at the top camp qualifies as a lake! Also patches of snow, my buddy and i took a break at first one we saw to lie down on it and i stuck my head into it. So if you have means to treat it, plenty of water when you reach the top.
    Ride Report -- Into the Mystic / Lord of The Squirrels (Whistler, BC)-dsc_8768.jpg
    Last edited by root; 09-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    So if you have means to treat it, plenty of water when you reach the top.
    Thanks. I'd just throw a pristine tab in the bottle.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com