Revelstoke or Fernie late August 2019- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Revelstoke or Fernie late August 2019

Hi all,

Looking at taking my family over to one of the above places after a riding tour of whistler the week before.

I have a family of 4 two boys ages 5 and 3 at the time of travel. Everyone rides bikes including my wife.

Ive been to both these locations snowboarding and have loved them both for different reasons. Never been with a family though.

Wonder what people thoughts are on either of these locations? Which would be more family friendly? Best experience for a younger family. Probably need to hire bikes etc

Other information - we are coming from Australia - so best bang for buck is always nice.

Thanks in advance.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Both are very similar towns. Similar size, similar trail net-works, similar history.

I think Revelstoke has a bit better family activities but I could be bias because I grew up there.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As said both are great options and have lots for kids to do (bike parks/pump tracks/aquatic centre/rivers & lakes)

Revy has some amazing alpine/big mountainy terrain and trails,

Fernie has one major benefit, if you stay in town its possible and easy to ride to almost any trailhead, no need to drive to get to trails which is really nice.

Both have lots of lodging options and great campgrounds.

ups and downs
    In the last few years one of the new things to factor in to a trip to any town in the interior of BC in August is what the wildfire situation is like and where all the smoke is headed, sometimes it is quite localized other times it is like sitting in the wrong spot downwind of the campfire no matter where you go. So as August gets closer, keep an eye on BC Wild Fire situation. I'm hoping we have a summer without massive fires again, but hot and dry conditions and big fires seem to be the new normal.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...ildfire-status

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...moke-1.5072997
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 03-30-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    As said both are great options and have lots for kids to do (bike parks/pump tracks/aquatic centre/rivers & lakes)

Revy has some amazing alpine/big mountainy terrain and trails,

Fernie has one major benefit, if you stay in town its possible and easy to ride to almost any trailhead, no need to drive to get to trails which is really nice.

Both have lots of lodging options and great campgrounds.
    so we would need a car in revy?

keep in mind here the other factor my wife has never seen the "bigger mountains" so my goal here is to blow her away with the scenery. from what i remember both places will blow her away.

if one is easier for kids - i would probably lean towards that - especially considering my kids are relatively young.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    so we would need a car in revy?

keep in mind here the other factor my wife has never seen the "bigger mountains" so my goal here is to blow her away with the scenery. from what i remember both places will blow her away.

if one is easier for kids - i would probably lean towards that - especially considering my kids are relatively young.
    A car would be handy in both but less necessary in Fernie for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live in fernie and ride bikes a lot with my 4 year old so thought Iíd hand out some info on family trails here.

Montane is our main go to area with the kid, theres lots of easy riding trails to do smaller or longer loops, itís next to a creek with a couple of swimming holes for cooling off, thereís also a barn with some ponies there. Thereís a couple of options for shuttling out along river road and then riding back on trail to save the little ones legs.

Ridgemont is the other easy trails area, itís been logged this winter though and it is not known yet what trails will exist this summer.

Thereís a bike park in town with a pump track and small jumps which is good for kids, thereís also some learner loops around there which are good.

Also thereís a trail all along the river through town, if you just want some flat scenic double track riding

Other family activities to look into -
    Ski hill - arial park, hiking/chairlift ride
    Rafting/float trip - mountain high
    Splash park by aquatic centre
    Rotary park playground, sometimes farmers markets here.

Not sure about renting kids bikes in town, gearhub would prob be the best shop to check with, or you might find a local willing to rent/lend something.

As mentioned by someone else forest fire smoke can be an issue in August, not something you can really predict though, and itís not like itís the whole month, sometimes a few days, sometimes a whole week.
    If anybody is interested in house swapping or renting my 3br family home in Fernie, BC, PM me!

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for everyone's responses. Doesnt seem like i can go wrong with either place.

something else to consider. We can hire a car in Vancouver and do the drive to revelstoke. Its around 6 hours. Fernie its 10. A fair bit harder with kids in the car.

Is the drive to Revelstoke nice? We were thinking about stopping somewhere kinda half way.

Once we get there and if we have the car, we can start exploring the other areas. Having a quick look on google there seems to be a heap of things to do around there besides just hanging out in revy itself.

Appreciate any feedback you all have.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks very much for everyone's responses. Doesnt seem like i can go wrong with either place.

something else to consider. We can hire a car in Vancouver and do the drive to revelstoke. Its around 6 hours. Fernie its 10. A fair bit harder with kids in the car.

Is the drive to Revelstoke nice? We were thinking about stopping somewhere kinda half way.

Once we get there and if we have the car, we can start exploring the other areas. Having a quick look on google there seems to be a heap of things to do around there besides just hanging out in revy itself.

Appreciate any feedback you all have.
    Both are incredible drives. Revelstoke is quite an easy drive from Vancouver, Fernie is a bit of a hike.

If you go to Revelstoke a popular lake is shuswap lake. Lot of beaches and reasonably warm water for swimming. If you go to Fernie, it is worth doing the drive over two days with a stop over in either Nelson or Rossland. Both of those towns are super cool and have absolutely world class mountain bike net-works. Actually, the thing about BC is just about every town has a world class mountain bike net-work.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Other random question.

Am i better off getting a people mover or something like a f150 to do the road trip?

like - will the f150 payoff for me getting my bike around or just keep everything in the safer van / people mover?

ups and downs
    Get something where you can put your bikes inside, a people mover is not a bad idea. Bike theft is not as rare as it should be, and having them inside means you can comfortably go inside a restaurant to eat without needing to see the bike rack in the parking lot.

The main highway between Vancouver and Revy is 100-120km/h limit, so a pickup will have mediocre gas mileage without a bed cover.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Just a bit of an update here. Been asking around on Fernie vs Revy - and most people (including Nate Hills) have said Fernie - as its better for the kids.

The trick after that was how to plan out the roadtrip:

https://www.trippy.com/drive/Vancouver-to-Fernie/map seems like a good one.

Would it be worthwhile coming back via Squamish? Or just heading straight back to vancouver before flying out.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Just a bit of an update here. Been asking around on Fernie vs Revy - and most people (including Nate Hills) have said Fernie - as its better for the kids.

Would it be worthwhile coming back via Squamish? Or just heading straight back to vancouver before flying out.
    Not sure what your itinerary is but riding in squamish is incredible. First post said you're spending time in Whistler too? Squamish is just 40 minute drive south.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you are keen on Fernie, you could consider a quick flight Vancouver-Cranbrook. It's only an hour with air canada. then rent a car from cranbrook, it's only an hour drive to Fernie. Cut down your travel time significantly, which is sometimes important with kids.
    Just something to consider.
    If anybody is interested in house swapping or renting my 3br family home in Fernie, BC, PM me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Not sure what your itinerary is but riding in squamish is incredible. First post said you're spending time in Whistler too? Squamish is just 40 minute drive south.
    yeah just finalizing the details now on the whistler stay. if we get enough time we can probably do a day in Squamish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboardjon View Post
    If you are keen on Fernie, you could consider a quick flight Vancouver-Cranbrook. It's only an hour with air canada. then rent a car from cranbrook, it's only an hour drive to Fernie. Cut down your travel time significantly, which is sometimes important with kids.
    Just something to consider.
    we did consider this. current thought process is that us and the kids will get to see more of BC if we do the roadtrip and stopping off regularly.

feedback appreciated.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi all,

I would skip the stops at the Hemlock and Apex. Both are are significantly out of the way and not really worth it. I would add a stop in Rossland in there, short detour and a super cool little town. Plus it has the 7-summits trails which is arguably the best all around trail in BC. (35km, 7 peaks, way more descending then climbing)

Squamish is a super cool riding area. But places like Fernie, Rossland, and Revelstoke have better riding in the summer the months.

The Riddler
    Similar trip question...planning road trip (no kids, however) at the same time...

Thinking Revelstoke, Sol Mountain and Rossland are definite. We have about 10 days and think we'll have time for one additional stop in either Golden, Nelson, or Fernie.

Right now I'm leaning towards Nelson or just riding more in the other locations. Solid all-mountain riders but prefer riding up to shuttles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I would skip the stops at the Hemlock and Apex. Both are are significantly out of the way and not really worth it. I would add a stop in Rossland in there, short detour and a super cool little town. Plus it has the 7-summits trails which is arguably the best all around trail in BC. (35km, 7 peaks, way more descending then climbing)

Squamish is a super cool riding area. But places like Fernie, Rossland, and Revelstoke have better riding in the summer the months.
    Cool.

Yeah i guess with the kids - im also doing stops for them. Ive been to Apex and Rossland before - but only snowboarding. No idea on what these places will be like in summer.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    All are good.

Logistically however Nelson would make the most sense. I have only ridden Nelson a couple of times but it is good. There is a ton of riding in that region, unique riding too. The big riding centres; Squamish, Whistler, Revelstoke, Kamloops, Fernie ect... are moving towards machine built trails which are fun. But in the Kootenies the trails are old school, steep and raw.

mtbr member

New question here.

Hi all,

Bit of an update here. We worked out we can hire the car we need in whistler.

So looking at the logistics from here we found out that fernie is indeed a lot further. Check the attached screenshots.

12 hours is a big drive with kids. Is Fernie that much better where we need to dedicate 4 days (there and back) to make the most of it?

Or - do we take the easier option of Revelstoke and kick back there.

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revelstoke or Fernie late August 2019-screen-shot-2019-03-28-10.42.35-am.jpg  

Revelstoke or Fernie late August 2019-screen-shot-2019-03-28-10.42.55-am.jpg  

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi all,

Bit of an update here. We worked out we can hire the car we need in whistler.

So looking at the logistics from here we found out that fernie is indeed a lot further. Check the attached screenshots.

12 hours is a big drive with kids. Is Fernie that much better where we need to dedicate 4 days (there and back) to make the most of it?

Or - do we take the easier option of Revelstoke and kick back there.

Thanks again.
    You will not be disappointed with Revelstole.

Great place for Kids and your family and I think the riding is better then Fernie.
    Last edited by LMN; 04-01-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I'm going to chime in on this thread... My wife and I spent some time in Nelson BC a couple summers ago and I was truly impressed with the amount of family friendly mountain biking that was easily accessible. We're able to get a shuttle driver and a guide multiple days, the trail system was so let well laid out that I was able to drop my wife mid-mountain, and then I would be dropped off at the top... we would meet back up on the lower trails or in the parking lot at the bottom and repeat. Excellent views, excellent trail marking, tasty huckleberries, truely the whole town seemed perfect for a family mountain biking adventure.

Plus there was enough black diamond and double black diamond in the area that I'm coming back this summer with 4 of my hard charging enduro brothers for a week of mayhem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would not recommend taking your kids to revelstoke to ride. Lots of climbing. Not much flat riding in revelstoke. An experienced mtn biker would likely enjoy revelstoke more, but they would also not be disappointed in fernie eithemost f the trails in fernie are easily accessible by bike. So if you want to slip out for an early morning rip it is very easy.

In fernie there is a trail (it is like a rail trail) that wraps around town, it is mostly flat with some modest climbing that a determined 5 yr old should be able to handle.

As a town, rely has more life to it. As mentioned above, fernie has a nice pool with a splash pad, and there is a nice little lake and beach about 30m from town.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I would not recommend taking your kids to revelstoke to ride. Lots of climbing. Not much flat riding in revelstoke. An experienced mtn biker would likely enjoy revelstoke more, but they would also not be disappointed in fernie eithemost f the trails in fernie are easily accessible by bike. So if you want to slip out for an early morning rip it is very easy.

In fernie there is a trail (it is like a rail trail) that wraps around town, it is mostly flat with some modest climbing that a determined 5 yr old should be able to handle.

As a town, rely has more life to it. As mentioned above, fernie has a nice pool with a splash pad, and there is a nice little lake and beach about 30m from town.
    Appreicate the time taken for the reply.

We will be spending most of our time in Fernie (8 nights). 3 nights in revy however - as the wife has agreed to let me go riding for a day there.

i will probably do a shuttle day with wandering wheels. https://wanderingwheels.ca/

my only comment there is that it seems very expensive for a day shuttle? 575 canadian for an all day shuttle? by the time we get there, i understand revy resort itself will have its blue run open? maybe thats a better option?

mtbr member
    Appreicate the time taken for the reply.

We will be spending most of our time in Fernie (8 nights). 3 nights in revy however - as the wife has agreed to let me go riding for a day there.

i will probably do a shuttle day with wandering wheels. https://wanderingwheels.ca/

my only comment there is that it seems very expensive for a day shuttle? 575 canadian for an all day shuttle? by the time we get there, i understand revy resort itself will have its blue run open? maybe thats a better option?

$575 is tough to swallow as a solo rider, it would be much more effective as a group, however that does include a guide and a driver, fuel, overhead costs for vehicle, lunch, etc, which all adds up quickly.

If you don't mind pedaling, Revelstoke has two amazing rides, Frisby Ridge and Keystone Standard. Both out and back 3-6 hour rides depending on your pace. Both access alpine riding and have amazing views. Keystone is a little more rugged and raw, further from town, tougher climbing, but spends more time in the alpine. Frisby is blue trail, closer to town, long steady climb out but not overly steep.

Keystone is my 'last ride', meaning if I could do only one more ride in my life, I'd pick Keystone.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i rode with matt at wandering wheels two years ago. i likely paid about that much as well. was supposed to be part of a larger group; however, the others bailed.

we rode frisby, keystone and mt macpherson. my thoughts on each are as follows:

* frisby - it is a long climb up as i recall almost 10k of mostly uphill riding - some parts are steadya nd not too bad, other are gut busters, but super fun on the way down. the bugs up there are something else. you will be covered in horsefly/deerfly bites. they hurt and it seems no amount of spray keeps them away. they land on you and bite hard

* keystone, first two 2k or so is super difficult, it gets better after that. some unbleeiveable side hill riding. i don't recall teh bugs being as bad there. my rear cassette melted down just as we were pulling up to the cabin. i had to push/glide my bike back. felt terrible for matt as it made a long day for him

* mt macpherson. you don't really need a guide for this area. could be rideable from town, although it is a bit of an uphill ride on the hiway from town. it is a bunch of somewhat connected and fairly well marked trails

Frisby and Keystone are a bit of a drive from town and you have to go up some moderately rough logging type roads (as i recall the road to keystone was not too bad, while frisby was rougher as we passed a vehicle with a blown out tire). so it is nice to have a guide driving to save any undue issues with a rental vehicle. We did not ride Sol mtn which is a somewhat popular ride.

hopefully the vacation lives up to your expectations and the weather is favourable.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    $575 is tough to swallow as a solo rider, it would be much more effective as a group, however that does include a guide and a driver, fuel, overhead costs for vehicle, lunch, etc, which all adds up quickly.

If you don't mind pedaling, Revelstoke has two amazing rides, Frisby Ridge and Keystone Standard. Both out and back 3-6 hour rides depending on your pace. Both access alpine riding and have amazing views. Keystone is a little more rugged and raw, further from town, tougher climbing, but spends more time in the alpine. Frisby is blue trail, closer to town, long steady climb out but not overly steep.

Keystone is my 'last ride', meaning if I could do only one more ride in my life, I'd pick Keystone.
    Sound really cool.

We want to visit Revelstoke and ride. We're looking for rides that are "out there". Away from towns and people. Trails that are natural, rugged, raw. Big distance and, sorry to use the word, epic. The "adventure" part of mountain bike is definitely lacking in many "near town" trail systems - while they are certainly fun too much impact by people takes away from the experience. Man-made, contrived stunts, perfectly constructed features - not my thing.

How would you say those trails you are talking about fit what we might be looking for?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    i rode with matt at wandering wheels two years ago. i likely paid about that much as well. was supposed to be part of a larger group; however, the others bailed.

* frisby - it is a long climb up as i recall almost 10k of mostly uphill riding - some parts are steadya nd not too bad, other are gut busters, but super fun on the way down. the bugs up there are something else. you will be covered in horsefly/deerfly bites. they hurt and it seems no amount of spray keeps them away. they land on you and bite hard

* keystone, first two 2k or so is super difficult, it gets better after that. some unbleeiveable side hill riding. i don't recall teh bugs being as bad there. my rear cassette melted down just as we were pulling up to the cabin. i had to push/glide my bike back. felt terrible for matt as it made a long day for him

* mt macpherson. you don't really need a guide for this area. could be rideable from town, although it is a bit of an uphill ride on the hiway from town. it is a bunch of somewhat connected and fairly well marked trails

Frisby and Keystone are a bit of a drive from town and you have to go up some moderately rough logging type roads (as i recall the road to keystone was not too bad, while frisby was rougher as we passed a vehicle with a blown out tire). so it is nice to have a guide driving to save any undue issues with a rental vehicle. We did not ride Sol mtn which is a somewhat popular ride.

hopefully the vacation lives up to your expectations and the weather is favourable.
    I guess the other option for the price is to do the mount cariter heli drop?

https://wanderingwheels.ca/10k-heli-day

Seems good value?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Sound really cool.

We want to visit Revelstoke and ride. We're looking for rides that are "out there". Away from towns and people. Trails that are natural, rugged, raw. Big distance and, sorry to use the word, epic. The "adventure" part of mountain bike is definitely lacking in many "near town" trail systems - while they are certainly fun too much impact by people takes away from the experience. Man-made, contrived stunts, perfectly constructed features - not my thing.

How would you say those trails you are talking about fit what we might be looking for?

Thanks.
    Those rides fit that bill. You'll fell out there and get access to amazing views. They are not like riding a high density trail system near a town. Both trails are popular however, so while they are remote, you'll see a fair number of people on the trail.

Also in the area (sort of) is Sol Mountain, but it's a 50km drive up a logging road that requires a high clearance AWD/4x4 vehicle. Its not extensive (20-25km of riding, mostly out and back), but it's all treeline or alpine riding.

Depending on where you are coming from (mainly south) and you have to pass in close proximity to Rossland, the Seven Summits ride is another big, raw adventure ride.

Overall however, most of the riding in the Kootenays is pretty natural.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member

considering the cost - do you think it was worth it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ yes, I think it was worth it. Matt/the guides know the local trails. In addition they drove, the drive up to frisby ridge was moderately rough, and I would not want to take my vehicle up there.

The road up to keystone winds up the hill, so it was nice not to have to drive.

I rode with a guide in bend, and found it is worth it not to waste your time trying to find trails.

To me wandering wheels seems like a well run professional tour company. The recently opened a store front in downtown revy. As we were riding passing other local riders, Matt seemed to know them all.

i think you could get away without a guide in fernie as many trails can be accessed right from town. Go to gear hub and get a map and you should be able to find lots to easily ride. My favourite is the lazy lizard and montane and the ridgemont area. Lots of flowery stuff there.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    ^ yes, I think it was worth it. Matt/the guides know the local trails. In addition they drove, the drive up to frisby ridge was moderately rough, and I would not want to take my vehicle up there.

The road up to keystone winds up the hill, so it was nice not to have to drive.

I rode with a guide in bend, and found it is worth it not to waste your time trying to find trails.

To me wandering wheels seems like a well run professional tour company. The recently opened a store front in downtown revy. As we were riding passing other riders, Matt seems to know them all.
    yeah - this season it seems like i will have a few options:

1. wandering wheels all day shuttle
    2. mt cartier heli drop
    3. revelstoke mtn resort lifted run - opens this season

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    BC is a big province, highway 1 sucks especially compared to interstates in the US.
    Macpherson will have some kid friendly trails, other than that most of the riding in revy is not really kid oriented.

Personally I would love to do a sol mountain lodge day, than a frisbee day and then keystone. I have road them all, but would love to do a trip that mainly did these rides. Boulder definatly has all the downhill stuff you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    BC is a big province, highway 1 sucks especially compared to interstates in the US.
    Macpherson will have some kid friendly trails, other than that most of the riding in revy is not really kid oriented.

Personally I would love to do a sol mountain lodge day, than a frisbee day and then keystone. I have road them all, but would love to do a trip that mainly did these rides. Boulder definatly has all the downhill stuff you want.

I was fortunate to do those three rides in 4 days last summer. 50km at or above treeline. Hoping to head back and do it again in August.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post

Sol Mountain lodge looks amazing!!!

do they do shuttles there?

mtbr member
    Sol Mountain lodge looks amazing!!!

do they do shuttles there?

No, they do not do shuttles. It's a back country lodge who's primary business is back country ski touring in the winter. They do however open for late summer and cater to a variety of other outdoor pursuits including developing a MTB trail system as of late. The trails only head 'up' from the lodge and there no roads that go that way.

Also, it's a 50km drive up a web of forest services roads to access Sol Mountain which takes 1.5 - 2.0 hrs and should be done in a high clearance 4x4 vehicle, depending on the road conditions. No something I'd recommend for a tourist in a rental. I guess you could also charter a helicopter.......

If you are looking for the crazy riding experience in Revelstoke and don't mind paying. Do the Mt Cartier Heli-drop. Or If you want to be shuttled around and go only down, and again don't mind paying, hire a guide and do some rides at Boulder Mountain and Martha Creek.

If you want to pay and pedal, get a guide to take you on either Frisby Ridge or Keystone.

If you don't want to pay but do want to pedal, Frisby Ridge or Keystone Standard are very easily done without a guide and REALLY good rides. They are remote (though busy) and do require a little drive up a forest service road that shouldn't be a problem in a rental.

If you don't want to pay, want to pedal and want simplicity, ride the McPherson trails, not as epic, but a nice trail system and make sure you hit Flow down.

Edit: And I guess you have mentioned Revelstoke Mountain Resort is doing lift access this summer. I just looked it up, looks to be only 1 trail they are opening. Not sure how worth it that would be for a day of riding when there are other incredible options.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    No, they do not do shuttles. It's a back country lodge who's primary business is back country ski touring in the winter. They do however open for late summer and cater to a variety of other outdoor pursuits including developing a MTB trail system as of late. The trails only head 'up' from the lodge and there no roads that go that way.

Also, it's a 50km drive up a web of forest services roads to access Sol Mountain which takes 1.5 - 2.0 hrs and should be done in a high clearance 4x4 vehicle, depending on the road conditions. No something I'd recommend for a tourist in a rental. I guess you could also charter a helicopter.......

If you are looking for the crazy riding experience in Revelstoke and don't mind paying. Do the Mt Cartier Heli-drop. Or If you want to be shuttled around and go only down, and again don't mind paying, hire a guide and do some rides at Boulder Mountain and Martha Creek.

If you want to pay and pedal, get a guide to take you on either Frisby Ridge or Keystone.

If you don't want to pay but do want to pedal, Frisby Ridge or Keystone Standard are very easily done without a guide and REALLY good rides. They are remote (though busy) and do require a little drive up a forest service road that shouldn't be a problem in a rental.

If you don't want to pay, want to pedal and want simplicity, ride the McPherson trails, not as epic, but a nice trail system and make sure you hit Flow down.

Edit: And I guess you have mentioned Revelstoke Mountain Resort is doing lift access this summer. I just looked it up, looks to be only 1 trail they are opening. Not sure how worth it that would be for a day of riding when there are other incredible options.
    thank you very much for the response. much appreciated.

yeah in regards to the heli drop i was looking at this one:

https://www.wanderingwheels.ca/10k-heli-day

mtbr member
    thank you very much for the response. much appreciated.

yeah in regards to the heli drop i was looking at this one:

https://www.wanderingwheels.ca/10k-heli-day
    Haven't done it myself but it's on the list to do with a Friend when he finally comes out to ride Revelstoke.

If you are prepared to pay the $$$, I'm certain it's a day you wouldn't forget.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You don't need a heli drop to ride Mt. Cartier.
    Its about a 4 hour push (with a few good pedal pitches) + a 3 hour ride to the top.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    You don't need a heli drop to ride Mt. Cartier.
    Its about a 4 hour push (with a few good pedal pitches) + a 3 hour ride to the top.
    If you want to do it proper. You climb up the ski hill, hike across the shoulder between the two mountain and then go down.

Or just wait, the master plan has a trail going from the top of the ski hill to Cartier.

mtbr member
    chopper it is

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    chopper it is
    Make sure you ride the Martha Creek trail. Rumour has that none other then Jared Graves says that he best trail he has ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I love Fernie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I love Fernie
    so do i. it will be my 4th time there. first in summer though and first with my wife and family.

cant wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone visiting Fernie should be aware that the Ridgemont trail network is closed this summer for logging - there's tons of other riding here and Ridgemont's best feature is it's accessibility and the ability to do short rides from town, but that's a significant loss.

Also the Timber Chair at the ski hill is closed this summer for a maintenance project so only the slower and lower Elk Chair will be running - most of the best bike trails are still accessible but the hikes to the top are not (reasonably) accessible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Anyone visiting Fernie should be aware that the Ridgemont trail network is closed this summer for logging - there's tons of other riding here and Ridgemont's best feature is it's accessibility and the ability to do short rides from town, but that's a significant loss.

Also the Timber Chair at the ski hill is closed this summer for a maintenance project so only the slower and lower Elk Chair will be running - most of the best bike trails are still accessible but the hikes to the top are not (reasonably) accessible.
    can you give me an example of the trails that will be shutdown?

mtbr member

so taking into account they are the cloest trails from a location perspective - what would you recommend to get in early morning rides (for a time poor dad?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Trailforks is very well updated with the closures in Ridgemont. The entire closed area is shaded in red on trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/region/ri...-fernie-ridge/ Also make sure you check the latest reports as some trails outside the marked area had some logging and will be rebuilt.

All the other riding areas in Fernie are still very close - we just whine a bit because we're so spoiled, and some of them are further than I want to run my dog on a road The Montane trailhead and Proctor trailhead are 5-8 minute riding times from downtown. It does depend on where you'd be staying.

Swine Flu gets ridden in an hour by lots of people, including the ride to and from the trailhead from the middle of town. Likewise Hypervent/Hyperextension from Montane is under 1.5 hours for lots of people. Today's Special is also accessed from Hypervent and it was new last year and is really good.

The Provincial Park has some of the best riding around - Project 9, Slunt, Verboten and great mellower riding on Lazy Lizard, but most of that takes a bit more time - still there's not really a need to drive to trailheads.

I don't ride the lifts much, but I'm sure you can figure out what's going to be inaccessible up there with the Fernie Alpine Resort trail map.

mtbr member
    Trailforks is very well updated with the closures in Ridgemont. The entire closed area is shaded in red on trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/region/ri...-fernie-ridge/ Also make sure you check the latest reports as some trails outside the marked area had some logging and will be rebuilt.

All the other riding areas in Fernie are still very close - we just whine a bit because we're so spoiled, and some of them are further than I want to run my dog on a road The Montane trailhead and Proctor trailhead are 5-8 minute riding times from downtown. It does depend on where you'd be staying.

Swine Flu gets ridden in an hour by lots of people, including the ride to and from the trailhead from the middle of town. Likewise Hypervent/Hyperextension from Montane is under 1.5 hours for lots of people. Today's Special is also accessed from Hypervent and it was new last year and is really good.

The Provincial Park has some of the best riding around - Project 9, Slunt, Verboten and great mellower riding on Lazy Lizard, but most of that takes a bit more time - still there's not really a need to drive to trailheads.

I don't ride the lifts much, but I'm sure you can figure out what's going to be inaccessible up there with the Fernie Alpine Resort trail map.
    appreciate the reply sir. its still going to be epic in comparison to what i have locally here at home.

can you recommend a guide at all? as there seems to be an abundance of trails available - and getting up to speed quickly - will be the best bet i think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    appreciate the reply sir. its still going to be epic in comparison to what i have locally here at home.

can you recommend a guide at all? as there seems to be an abundance of trails available - and getting up to speed quickly - will be the best bet i think.
    One shop in town does offer guiding services, and there are also group rides leaving from shops a couple of evenings. Alternatively, if you join this facebook group and post a query before you arrive you might just find someone to follow around for the price of a post-ride beer: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1591680514481230/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pretty much everything is rideable from town, Scott is just saying ridgemont trails are the shortest quickest ones. Thereís still plenty of loops that can be done in 1.5hrs or less for someone reasonably fit. Guides hut and gear hub both do evening group rides that would be good if you want to get some free guidance to trails.
    You could check out red crow riding if you want to pay a private guide.

mtbr member
    appreciate all the replies. so much good info in this thread.

mtbr member
    Hi all again,

More questions on Fernie.

Is the actual resort worth riding more than the local trails? Trying to suss out if i should get an early bird season pass or not. Keep in mind we are in fernie for 8 days.

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi all again,

More questions on Fernie.

Is the actual resort worth riding more than the local trails? Trying to suss out if i should get an early bird season pass or not. Keep in mind we are in fernie for 8 days.

thanks again.
    In the past the only reason to ride the resort has been so you don't have to climb IMO. The resort trails generally have lots of loose rock and dust and way lower quality than other Fernie trails. If you're into loose dusty trails, and some people are, then maybe it's more up your alley. There is always the hope that this changes but it seems unlikely.

mtbr member
    In the past the only reason to ride the resort has been so you don't have to climb IMO. The resort trails generally have lots of loose rock and dust and way lower quality than other Fernie trails. If you're into loose dusty trails, and some people are, then maybe it's more up your alley. There is always the hope that this changes but it seems unlikely.
    Wow if thats the case - ill hold off.

Seems like id be better off spending that money on a guide.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Im looking at booking some shuttles at Revelstoke - but im in two minds about what to do.

At this part of the trip im essentially a solo rider. A solo shuttle day tour is around $600 OR wait / hope that the Revy Resort blue trail opens up to save cash?

From checking out all the videos - Revy seems next level in the type of riding, but $600 is a lot to pay for as a single rider.

Appreciate the feedback as always.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pedal your bike ?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi all,

Im looking at booking some shuttles at Revelstoke - but im in two minds about what to do.

At this part of the trip im essentially a solo rider. A solo shuttle day tour is around $600 OR wait / hope that the Revy Resort blue trail opens up to save cash?

From checking out all the videos - Revy seems next level in the type of riding, but $600 is a lot to pay for as a single rider.

Appreciate the feedback as always.
    How fit are you?

You can pedal everything (except Cartier), if you are packing some reasonable fitness. I would not expect the new resort trail to be open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    How fit are you?

You can pedal everything (except Cartier), if you are packing some reasonable fitness. I would not expect the new resort trail to be open.
    pretty fit i guess.

i think on the resort website they were saying the new trail to be open by sometime in july? does anyone know the status of that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    As per the resort website the trail is open.

What did you decide to do for this trip?
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    As per the resort website the trail is open.

What did you decide to do for this trip?
    we are spending 3 days in revy. 1 day of riding for me, the rest family days exploring etc.

at this stage i will be riding 5620 unless a spare spot comes up with wandering wheels or a spare spot on their heli drop (highly doubt it). couldnt write off the $600 shuttle fee.

5620 seems damn good anyway.

after that we take off to fernie for 8 days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Seems like a solid compromise. Hopefully things work out with wandering wheels. The help-drop would be some much more interesting than 5620.

Also looks like you are getting good luck as to the best of my knowledge there have been limited forest fires and the weather has been typical for this time of year with not much rain.

I myself am in fernie next week for a few days of riding.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Seems like a solid compromise. Hopefully things work out with wandering wheels. The help-drop would be some much more interesting than 5620.

Also looks like you are getting good luck as to the best of my knowledge there have been limited forest fires and the weather has been typical for this time of year with not much rain.

cool! let me know how you go in fernie. im still debating if i spend most of my riding time in the resort or do more pedaling.

not sure as yet tbh.

Nat
    mtbr member

Iíd like to hear about your visit to Fernie when and after youíre there. Iíll be there in a couple of weeks. Not sure what trails to ride yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just back to calgary from fernie yesterday and here are my thoughts on what I rode:

. Swine flu/mad cow - these trails were alright. Lots of climbing, and lots of switchbacks. I learned I really suck at negotiating switchbacks. I guess I thought the payoff for getting up really was not there. But great view of fernie from the lookout

. Lazy lizard. I have ridden this trail before, and knew what to expect. Depending on your starting point it is about 6 to 9k of pretty steady uphill. Some punchier section, but not a death march. The payoff on this trail is two fold - the island lake lodge has a great patio and they serve an awesome salmon taco, there is beer there as well is that is your thing. The second payoff is that the ride back is mostly downhill, and the trail is pretty flown. Just be sure to keep yelling and making noise to try and ward of animals and give a heads up to other riders. I rode this trail from town, and was energized by the descent I tracked up a climb up stove and a descent down dem bones. I was told dem bones is flowy and fun. Personally, I found it janky with several sections of tree root staircases. All in all, it was much better than my best ever day at work though

. Montane - this is where you can get your flow on. I climbed up to hyperventilation, and the view was stunning. I rode on castle rocks as well and was going to take it down, but it looked really janky, and just opted to go back down the way I came up. This area has tons of options thoug

. For a family ride, the trail around town is a bit of a mess as they are working on shoring up the river bank right near the Canadian tire. Further along the trail it comes in contact with the ridgemont area (which has a ton of really flowy trails as well); however, this summer the ridgemont area is closed for logging, so the round town trail goes on an area where the loggers have plowed in a bit of a work road; however, I could see marks from bike tires, so it appears as if people are riding it to some extent.

. The good news is you can take the kids on the coal heritage trail which can be accessed by a spot not far from the aquatic car or via the montane area. I start from the montane area as there is a moderate bit of climbing, then some fun flowy downhill, then it is at bit of up and down after that. This trail has a bit of an offshoot that takes you into the forest a bit, I recommend taking that as the kids might get a kick out of it

I did not go to the ski hill. Had I stayed one or two more days I likely would have
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Just back to calgary from fernie yesterday and here are my thoughts on what I rode:

. Swine flu/mad cow - these trails were alright. Lots of climbing, and lots of switchbacks. I learned I really suck at negotiating switchbacks. I guess I thought the payoff for getting up really was not there. But great view of fernie from the lookout

. Lazy lizard. I have ridden this trail before, and knew what to expect. Depending on your starting point it is about 6 to 9k of pretty steady uphill. Some punchier section, but not a death march. The payoff on this trail is two fold - the island lake lodge has a great patio and they serve an awesome salmon taco, there is beer there as well is that is your thing. The second payoff is that the ride back is mostly downhill, and the trail is pretty flown. Just be sure to keep yelling and making noise to try and ward of animals and give a heads up to other riders. I rode this trail from town, and was energized by the descent I tracked up a climb up stove and a descent down dem bones. I was told dem bones is flowy and fun. Personally, I found it janky with several sections of tree root staircases. All in all, it was much better than my best ever day at work though

. Montane - this is where you can get your flow on. I climbed up to hyperventilation, and the view was stunning. I rode on castle rocks as well and was going to take it down, but it looked really janky, and just opted to go back down the way I came up. This area has tons of options thoug

. For a family ride, the trail around town is a bit of a mess as they are working on shoring up the river bank right near the Canadian tire. Further along the trail it comes in contact with the ridgemont area (which has a ton of really flowy trails as well); however, this summer the ridgemont area is closed for logging, so the round town trail goes on an area where the loggers have plowed in a bit of a work road; however, I could see marks from bike tires, so it appears as if people are riding it to some extent.

. The good news is you can take the kids on the coal heritage trail which can be accessed by a spot not far from the aquatic car or via the montane area. I start from the montane area as there is a moderate bit of climbing, then some fun flowy downhill, then it is at bit of up and down after that. This trail has a bit of an offshoot that takes you into the forest a bit, I recommend taking that as the kids might get a kick out of it

I did not go to the ski hill. Had I stayed one or two more days I likely would have
    this is awesome. we will be there in a few days. so far the trip has been everything ive expected and more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Fernie has some great riding and there are lots of opinions on what is best. Swine Flu, for example, is the favourite of many locals and visitors - not mine, but the climb is great and the descent is good, albeit kinda brake bumped right now. Iíd advise looking for something that suits what youíre looking for as itís all here. Old school rooty tech, smooth and fast, feature-filled, jump/flow trail - you have to let someone familiar with it all know what youíre after and youíll probably get pointed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Can you post me towards a couple of the feature-filled jump/flow trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Can you post me towards a couple of the feature-filled jump/flow trails?
    Contra is a flow/jump trail. All machine built, big, big features. Search on youtube and I'm sure you'll see some vids of it. Most people shuttle it, but it's not a big climb.

Eric's trip has lots of mid-sized features that can be ridden bigger, or smaller. Very fun, and easy to ride to a few ways.

48 hours is a little further from town, but still within riding distance - I ride from town, but most people shuttle it. It's steeper rooty terrain at the top, and then once the gradient eases there are a bunch of new dirt features that are very big doubles for the guys who built them, and are just fun smaller jumps for those of us who don't try to double them. Most people shuttle that area - there are a few other trails nearby - check trailforks, as the descriptions are pretty good.

I really like 48 hours and Eric's Trip, but I don't go big enough to make Contra much fun.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thank you!