mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Retirement place for Canadian mtb riders

Where is a good place to retire?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not here.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What do you think of Elliott Lake?

since 4/10/2009
    Florida

nvphatty
    anywhere but here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Florida is too expensive.

Canada.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

And, U.S. border authorities have been given your description.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Interesting that this was originally in General and the mods dumped it in Western Canada. Apparently Eastern Canada doesn't count. On a serious note, spend some time traveling around BC and pick what you like. Lot's of bargains on the lower mainland.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Interesting that this was originally in General and the mods dumped it in Western Canada. Apparently Eastern Canada doesn't count. On a serious note, spend some time traveling around BC and pick what you like. Lot's of bargains on the lower mainland.
    well. if I was in Canada and had to choose east or west to retire, I would head west. It's just a little easier in the winter.

Are you retiring soon, Picard? That's great news.

ups and downs
    Well, compared to New York, San Francisco, London and Hong Kong.
    Lot's of bargains on the lower mainland.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I won't be retiring yet. I am just browsing the market

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Vancouver region is too expensive.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Oh, how about Manitoba then? the people are really nice there. give it a shot. enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What are good biking place in Manitoba?

mtbr member
    Brandon, mountain bike capitol of the prairies.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Aren't Canucks interested in retiring in mtb friendly area?

mtbr member
    I have not met anyone who has retired and mountain bikes, besides myself. Vancouver Island just gets better all the time, riding wise.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    anywhere in the Kootenays, BC: Nelson, Rossland, Fernie, Kaslo, New Denver, Revelstoke, Golden, Invermere, Cranbrook. Good skiing too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have not met anyone who has retired and mountain bikes, besides myself. Vancouver Island just gets better all the time, riding wise.
    yes, though victoria housing is expensive, there is huge riding up island by Comox and such, even the islands, re opened bike park at Mt Washington.

I am in Victoria. Riding is Good, but there is no such thing as buff singletrack, LOL, so don't expect it to be like Moab or Colorado. It is dense rainforest, but very pretty and super challenging too. Bring your sticky tires. High season for mtn biking is .. Sept to April. No snow in 4 years running helps. I wear shorts and short sleeve mtb all winter, seriously. And the national XC team is based here now, using a new trail system at Bear Mtn. But the main mtb scene is at Hartland/Mt Work.

MTB wouldn't be the local highlight of Victoria though. It is the endless amazing hiking, restaurant/culture scene, and warm warm winters. Ocean and mtn views, dozens of pristine lakes and beaches right near or in town. Sunnier with a fraction as much rain as Vancouver. road riding very good, some roads you think you are in Italy or southern france

Nice yin and yang is to be able to ride contrasting terrain. so we bought a vacay home in Arizona. excellent winter MTB riding down there - from buff to real rad DH stuff

typical trail designated 'XC' at Hartland in Victoria (dry here. now imagine it wet LOL)
    https://youtu.be/wLLMr4ePmHU

mtbr member
    Yes, retire in Victoria, nothing to see North of there, seriously, nothing.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ups and downs
    Sadly Squamish has suffered the same fate as Vancouver's overheated real estate market (stupid winter Olympics) so it went from a reasonably priced recreation town to a Vancouver bedroom community (damn, should have bought there 10 years ago).

But the Sunshine Coast is a good bet and has a well developed trail network, the prices are still not Vancouver crazy yet, so best to buy before they put in a fixed land bridge, that will bump pricing at least 50% when they do.

Revelstoke is nice, but they get real winter, so likely only a good choice if you are a skier as well.

Salmon Arm is quite nice and not painfully expensive, they get a mild-ish winter and there's a lot of trail options nearby. It is quite central to the interior of BC, so a fairly short drive to Whistler or the Rockies.

Oliver/Osoyoos are bit less pricey than Penticton, but dang does it get hot there in the summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^Piss off! Nothing to see here as well.

If XC is your cup of tea and you plan on retiring, and have zero need for a city or any of it's features I'd recommend heading further up the Sunshine Coast to Powell River. Two! Yes, two ferry rides from Vancouver keeps the weekender City traffic down quite a bit. The trails are more green/blue XC/Trail rating. There is a pretty darn good skills park right in town. A few retired guys that build/maintain trail like it's their job (It sorta is.) There is almost limitless potential up there for new trail and areas to open up. Just a lack of people doing it right now.

mtbr member
    Central Vancouver islands Port Alberni has some fierce downhill trails and tamer xc trails with miles of logging roads in between.

It also has perhaps the lowest real estate prices on the island , very mild weather with 6 inches of snow for 1 to 2 weeks per year.
    Ride - red '99 RM Element team race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocking View Post
    Central Vancouver islands Port Alberni has some fierce downhill trails and tamer xc trails with miles of logging roads in between.

It also has perhaps the lowest real estate prices on the island , very mild weather with 6 inches of snow for 1 to 2 weeks per year.

Not too far from Hammerfest near Englishman River Falls, Parksville. Ridiculously fun.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Its very close no more then 25 miles apart , Parksville is a beautiful little city more expensive as its a popular retirement destination the prices reflect it.
    Ride - red '99 RM Element team race

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Resurrecting an old thread...I'm in Sask and am hopefully retiring in B.C. (2-7 years) and was looking at Grand Forks. I like the small town kind of place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I really like fernie, although I may change my mind after I go to revelstoke in august
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    If you are going to retire to a new place specifically for mountain biking pick a spot where you can ride 365 days a year or close to it. After getting to ride all year round on southern Vancouver Island I couldn't hang my bike up for the winter. No way!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm working on it Travis. You are my Yoda.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Live where do you Master Travis and a basemement suite have you?
    Last edited by noose; 01-28-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Crawl space and a bucket $850 a month.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Crawl space and a bucket $850 a month.
    Lol good deal for cumby, provided they supply their own bucket

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you are going to retire to a new place specifically for mountain biking pick a spot where you can ride 365 days a year or close to it. After getting to ride all year round on southern Vancouver Island I couldn't hang my bike up for the winter. No way!
    Thank you to you and Travis helping sell me on the island as my future home (by April). Vic having more jobs and an airport near is a perk but rent and housing prices are higher there than Nanaimo if I'm not mistaken? 365 riding hey? I want to ride rain or shine. Are there loamy trails there that don't mud up as much and if so which area on the island are there more of them? Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    365 riding hey? I want to ride rain or shine. Are there loamy trails there that don't mud up as much and if so which area on the island are there more of them? Thanks.
    You can ride From Duncan down to Victoria and out to Sooke all year round for sure. The trails drain well and are not trashed by winter riding. I'm not familiar with Nanimo, but I assume it's the same that far north. At some point as you head north you'll get enough snow that trail access is limited. Obviously that will change from year to year.

If you end up on the island PM me and I can show you around the south island trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    We just got snowed in again yesterday. Trails near Nanaimo usually get much less snow than here. With they way house prices have risen I very happy I didn't put off moving here for a few more years of a big pay check.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Thanks that is good information. I'm holding out until this winter's end to ride in Arizona but definitely moving in spring as I'm Canadian and the summer heat is too much here. I considered Interior BC until I rode in 32c heat there last summer a few times. I will PM you then for sure!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    You can layer up when it's cold, but when it's hot you can only go so far before the police get involved.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp things View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread...I'm in Sask and am hopefully retiring in B.C. (2-7 years) and was looking at Grand Forks. I like the small town kind of place.
    Grand Forks is a great little town. Lakes near by, good variety of mountain biking too. Everything from rail trails to trails that scare guys who have race WC Dhs.

Close to Rossland too, which is a great MTB town. Middle of no where though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    When relocating to BC (not retirement quite yet, but definitely to increase recreation opportunity and prepare for retirement), we were seriously considering places where we could bike at least 9-10 months a year. When it all came down to it though, we decided against that.

I love mountain biking, been at it for 27 years now and my life pretty much revolves around it. Saying that, I've always wanted to be more into skiing, but back east it just wasn't really worth it. But now, alpine touring.....OH HELL YEAH.....it's like winter trail riding and just as amazing. Climb up a mountain, then have almost limitless lines down. Rinse, repeat.

Intention was to spend a significant portion of winter down south, biking, during retirement. Screw that now, I'll just take some higher quality trips during the shoulder season and ski all winter.

Anyway, I vote retire somewhere with excellent access to skiing (especially alpine touring) and good biking in the summer. Just not Rossland, nothing to see or do here.

Retirement place for Canadian mtb riders-screen-shot-2018-01-29-9.44.13-am.jpgRetirement place for Canadian mtb riders-screen-shot-2018-01-29-9.44.31-am.png
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Honestly I thought I was a mountain biker for 25yrs+, but when I finally moved to a place where you could ride 365 days a year I realized I had no clue before. With no down season skills just keep building and fitness stays high so there is no wasted period at the start of the great riding while you get back into shape.

I'll never live someplace I can't trail ride all year long.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

banned
    Apr 2006
    was looking at Grand Forks. I like the small town kind of place.
    That place, as told to me by someone who lived just outside of town farming organic for like a decade said it was typical of an isolated B.C. backwater.

Rampant alcoholism, wife battering, incest (yes, incest, and with pregnancy too) and when the locals started driving around in expensive 4x4's flashing lots 'o cash the Horsemen came riding in and busted all their grow-ops.

Nice place to visit I suppose when there's an option to leave but I wouldn't want to be stuck there!

Seriously, move to Cumberland on the Isl. and give Travis a run for his $.

ups and downs
    Just 21km from Grand Forks is Christina Lake...

Bears guarded B.C. grow-op: RCMP - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    That place, as told to me by someone who lived just outside of town farming organic for like a decade said it was typical of an isolated B.C. backwater.

Rampant alcoholism, wife battering, incest (yes, incest, and with pregnancy too) and when the locals started driving around in expensive 4x4's flashing lots 'o cash the Horsemen came riding in and busted all their grow-ops.

Nice place to visit I suppose when there's an option to leave but I wouldn't want to be stuck there!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Just 21km from Grand Forks is Christina Lake...

Bears guarded B.C. grow-op: RCMP - British Columbia - CBC News

That was so 2010..........
    It is improving....slowly!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fernie is a great place to settle down. Great ski hill 5 minutes from town, incredible and huge MTB trail network, wicked trout fishing in the Elk and its tribs, plus the town and the people are amazing. Moved there 14 years ago and am thankful for it every day.
    other than Fernie, take a hard look at the Kootenays, Revy, or even Golden. I love Van Island and have relatives there, but i also dont mind tons of snow in the winter so Fernie is it for me.

mtbr member
    Cumberland was pretty good but with the frequent cougar attacks, a couple of random unsolved murders, gangs, and the worst food poisoning problem in the western world it ain't so good anymore.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

ups and downs
    ...and there's the dragons. And the cougar attacks are not just using teeth and fangs, they carry knives too and have gang tats. And there's blackberry vines that shred tires and flesh.... like triffids.

Too much?

Cumberland was pretty good but with the frequent cougar attacks, a couple of random unsolved murders, gangs, and the worst food poisoning problem in the western world it ain't so good anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What about fernie? Is this a good place to live?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

How much do you like winter and snow? They have a real winter.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How much do you like winter and snow? They have a real winter.
    I like Winter. Does fernie have good bike trails in the summer?

mtbr member
    I like Winter. Does fernie have good bike trails in the summer?

Yes. They are outstanding with lots of other amazing summer riding areas nearby.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Fernie is expensive place to live. Is there any other small town nearby?

mtbr member
    The answer you seek: LMGTFY
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I hear northern Saskatchewan is nice, plus its cheap.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I hear northern Saskatchewan is nice, plus its cheap.
    Saskatchewan is boring as hell. They grow wheat there. There are no bike trails

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Awesome town. Great riding community too. Did their Poker ride a couple of years ago and was really impressed with their trails and riding culture.

But winter is long there. Like really long, and cold. And you get Calgarians there, which is far from desirable.

Other cool towns with good riding and shorter winters to think about.
    Salmon Arm. Great trail net-work, and really good road riding. Close to other towns with wicked trail-works too.
    Penticton. Awesome place, good trails, good roads, easy winters.
    Vernon. Similar to Penticton.

The northern towns also have some really good riding and cheap realistate. But they also have long winters.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am surprised that fernie is most expensive city in Kamloops region.
    Vernon looks like a nice city. I wonder if this city has any decent bike trails

mtbr member
    I am surprised that fernie is most expensive city in Kamloops region.
    Vernon looks like a nice city. I wonder if this city has any decent bike trails

Fernie is not in Kamloops Region.

Kamloops, Penticton, Vernon, Kelowna, Salmon Arm are considered the Okanogan (Central BC).

Fernie, along with Golden, Revelstoke, Cranbrook/Kimberly, Rossland, Nelson are the Kootenays (Eastern BC).

Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton is the coast (Western BC).

Roberts Creek, Sechelt, Powell River is the Sunshine Coast (Western BC by ferry)

Victoria, Cumberland, Nanaimo, Duncan, Tofino is Vancouver Island (A land mass surrounded by water on all sides)

All the places listed have great riding and lots more within a few hours for weekend trips. All are expensive, except Van/Squamish/Whistler, which is stupid expensive. Fernie has a few more Alberta folks, so it might be a little more expensive, but compared to Revelstoke, Golden, maybe Nelson, not significantly different. Anywhere with top notch biking and skiing is going to cost you. Pay to play.

If you want cheap and great riding year around. Move to the Maritimes. Fredericton to be precise.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Who actually rides bikes Maritimes? The whole province is a ghost town

mtbr member
    Don't be a douche bag. The Maritimes is not a province and there are lots of MTBers there riding some great trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    And you get Calgarians there, which is far from desirable.
    As an American who visits Canada (always Whistler so far, Winter & Summer), I've never actually heard anybody complain about people from Calgary. What is the issue?
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

ups and downs
    Yeah go easy on Calgarians, quite a few of us west coasters are ex-Calgarians. And of course many Calgarians were ex-someplace else firsters, from the 70's on, born-in-Calgary Calgarians were fairly rare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Don't be a douche bag. The Maritimes is not a province and there are lots of MTBers there riding some great trails.
    I am not being a douche bag. People have been leaving Maritimes province for past decade. There is very few jobs there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does anyone live in shipping container house? I wonder if it is certified for the province

mtbr member
    [
    Does anyone live in shipping container house? I wonder if it is certified for the province
    Yes, but they are called Sprinter Vans in BC and everyone lives in one. In Fernie where its most expensive they are 4x4.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member

I have lived all over Canada and there is great riding in the maritimes and the prairies. Harsh winters, yes.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you have any any suggestions for technical trails in Maritimes?

mtbr member
    Do you have any any suggestions for technical trails in Maritimes?

Much of it is technical compared to Ontario standards.

Fight trail in Halifax is very unique and about as technical as you will find.

Marysville Place (MVP) in Fredericton has a great mix of trails. Same with the Hadley trail system.

Rockwood Park in Saint John.

Whiterock near Hillsborough (Moncton area)

The Gorge near Kentville, or Victoria Park in Truro.

In general Maritime riding is very rocky, rooty and slow going. Cleaning many trails is a great goal.

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post

I check the grand forks website and the town looks reasonable. why do you guys think it is backwater place?
    Last edited by Picard; 10-18-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: change words

mtbr member
    Grand Forks had very bad flooding this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lood-1.4811582
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Grand Forks had very bad flooding this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lood-1.4811582
    OK. I have to pass on grandforks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what about Salmon arm city? Is this place cheap compare to Fernie or Squamish?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    As an American who visits Canada (always Whistler so far, Winter & Summer), I've never actually heard anybody complain about people from Calgary. What is the issue?
    Basically it is BC snobbery. I grew up in Revelstoke, I have to spit every time I say Calgary.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    what about Salmon arm city? Is this place cheap compare to Fernie or Squamish?
    How cheap is cheap?

Not a lot of places in southern BC are cheap. Some towns are cheaper then other, but in most small towns the average home price is pretty close to that 400K mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does BC allow shipping house? I am not referring to sprinter van

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @Picard- where do you live now?

If I was retiring soon, I would be looking somewhere that didnt have days of 100mm+ rain, 45 days of straight rain. I know people say that riding in the rain is fun, but the cleanup is not

PS: I have lived in the NShore for 20+ years and the rain sucks and now in a suburb